What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (2 Viewers)

Finishing our first week of virtual learning in Central Florida.  Had some hiccups early in the week, but the last three days have been really calm.  Kids seem to be liking it.  Of course, this week has been mostly "this is how we're going to do the semester" kind of stuff.  One thing that I don't quite understand yet.  It seems that the classes are all mixed together in one meeting.  So all the various levels of math (algebra, pre algebra, regular math) are in the same class and then they "break out" to their specific areas.  I don't know how instruction is actually going to happen in that scenario.  I guess we have to wait and see how that plays out.

Today is the sixth day of virtual learning for my son's middle school. Out of six days, three days have featured Wifi interruptions (on the school's end) that have erased an entire class period. I sorely hope that is something that can and will be corrected ... I have a bad feeling that there is an attitude at my son's school that 10-20% Wifi outage time is the absolute best that can be accomplished and just has to be accepted. Then I read accounts of schools in other areas like @Ilov80s school where they essentially take working Wifi for granted :(  

One of the girls in 4th grade fell asleep in her chair in front of the camera for zoom class. Whole class was laughing hysterically. Kids started calling their parents in to see. Teacher couldn't get control. Eventually, the teacher tried texting the girls Mom, but couldnt get in touch with anyone. Girl ended up sleeping through the entire class on camera and no one could do anything about it.  :lmao:

Today is the sixth day of virtual learning for my son's middle school. Out of six days, three days have featured Wifi interruptions (on the school's end) that have erased an entire class period. I sorely hope that is something that can and will be corrected ... I have a bad feeling that there is an attitude at my son's school that 10-20% Wifi outage time is the absolute best that can be accomplished and just has to be accepted. Then I read accounts of schools in other areas like @Ilov80s school where they essentially take working Wifi for granted :(  
That sucks. Just day 1 here but no wi-fi issues that I’m aware of and we have 14,000 students and around 1,000 teachers all running video chats concurrently. Our only restriction is no YouTube, NF, etc. If there is something you want the kids to watch, we have to link to it and have them kids use their own bandwidth. It would have been really smart of us as a country to have invested in massive high speed internet for the whole country awhile ago. 

Early last week my wife had texted me that our girls weren't listening, fighting with each other and goofing off between their classes and that she lost it and started screaming, swearing, slamming the doors.  Well, it turns out that while she was doing that one of our girls was in a zoom class and the teacher and whole class heard it.  Wife got a call from the school on Friday to see if everything was OK at home.  I guess all the zoom classes are recorded and the school was going to see if they could edit out those few minutes.

Today I got a text from my wife that the school wifi was down, so none of the kids could get into class.  Sounds like it was 2 hours of trying to connect every few minutes until they all finally got through.

One of the girls in 4th grade fell asleep in her chair in front of the camera for zoom class. Whole class was laughing hysterically. Kids started calling their parents in to see. Teacher couldn't get control. Eventually, the teacher tried texting the girls Mom, but couldnt get in touch with anyone. Girl ended up sleeping through the entire class on camera and no one could do anything about it.  :lmao:
My son has fallen asleep twice during the virtual class day. Luckily for him, both times were while waiting for Wifi outages to clear up. So far, he is not engaged in his instruction at all :(   I am working from home, but I can't handhold him 8 hours a day through this virtual stuff. Either the light goes on or he repeats 8th grade in 2021-22 when they can (hopefully, not taking it for granted) return to in-person school.

We've hit the one month mark here in Mississippi and we've had no issues.  The principal made a video the other day just updating everyone on how it went.  He said between the 2 campuses there are 1100+ people there on e a regular bases and we've had only 4 positive tests.  

My hopes were that we could weather the first 2-3 weeks without any major hiccups and it appears that has happened.  Even the public schools went back full time last week and cases seem to be declining overall here.  

I hope everyone can get back to this soon.  Reading thru these zoom, wifi, kids asleep, moms yelling issues makes me feel very fortunate to have 3 kids going full time.  Godspeed to you all.  

jb1020 said:
We've hit the one month mark here in Mississippi and we've had no issues.  The principal made a video the other day just updating everyone on how it went.  He said between the 2 campuses there are 1100+ people there on e a regular bases and we've had only 4 positive tests.  

My hopes were that we could weather the first 2-3 weeks without any major hiccups and it appears that has happened.  Even the public schools went back full time last week and cases seem to be declining overall here.  

I hope everyone can get back to this soon.  Reading thru these zoom, wifi, kids asleep, moms yelling issues makes me feel very fortunate to have 3 kids going full time.  Godspeed to you all.  
So jealous of areas where kids are actually going to school and receiving an education.   My daughter goes to school twice a week so her learning path is very slow.   These kids are going to behind.    When she is home, it’s a struggle to keep her engaged since I’m working from home and can only keep er on track part of the time.   

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are back to school when the situation is reviewed after the first nine weeks.   

anybody's area's playing high school football? Our season has been slated to start (a delay from the original start date) on 10/8. No announcement yet on seating, attendance, etc. That's supposed to come down this week from the state athletics association. 

So jealous of areas where kids are actually going to school and receiving an education.   My daughter goes to school twice a week so her learning path is very slow.   These kids are going to behind.    When she is home, it’s a struggle to keep her engaged since I’m working from home and can only keep er on track part of the time.   

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are back to school when the situation is reviewed after the first nine weeks.   
Yeah, its so nice.  Its normal!  An I'm not trying to "rub it in" though it could be seen as that.  Just updating on my little part of the world.  Covid was really bad here in July.  I didn't think it would go this smoothly.  

anybody's area's playing high school football? Our season has been slated to start (a delay from the original start date) on 10/8. No announcement yet on seating, attendance, etc. That's supposed to come down this week from the state athletics association. 
We just hit week 2 of football.  Week 1 there was a mandate in place that said each player, cheerleader, band member etc would get 2 tickets.  Obviously, if you didn't have a ticket you couldn't go.  

They've already relaxed that rule and changed it to 25% capacity "as long as social distancing measures are till in place."

The inner city public schools here did cancel their entire Fall Sports seasons though.  I'm sure  that was more of a budget decision though.  But for the most part I believe schools are playing football here. 

Our high school still hasn't started, needed an extra two weeks to get their #### together for the full-time remote first semester. I have no doubt it will be a cluster given the people in charge. We've pretty much already decided my daughter will apply to private school and repeat her freshman year if she gets in. She's one of the youngest in her class, really no downside besides an extra year of tuition. 

We have had a couple students in the building test positive thus far.  I was informed that a student in one of my classes is being quarantined.  I don't know his actual COVID status as he could be quarantined for close contact reasons.  This is my first quarantined student.  Students began Aug. 26th.

Daughter started today.   Online only first semester.   No classes on Wednesdays, which is being set aside for self-study.   She said it didn't seem like the teachers were clear on what they were going to be doing.

I teach High School and we are in our 3rd week.  We currently have 29 kids that are either positive or quarantined for contact reasons. We have an additional 40 who are remote learning (our district gave the option to start virtual) I also coach football and we now have 9 player( 6 starters ) who are positive or quarantined for contact reasons. This is at a H.S. with under 250 kids in it.  We canceled our JV football game last night and Friday's game looks to be in real jeopardy... honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't shutdown at go complete virtual soon

We're at nearly the midterm of the first quarter here.  I teach Jr. High in a K-8 building, roughly 700 kids total.  Only one positive case so far, but a few kids in each grade who have had to be home for 10-14 days for symptoms or quarantine.  We have an online program they can use when they're home to try and stay on track.  So far, I'd say it's going as well as can be hoped for.  Sports are happening but our junior high and high school associations (Illinois) mandated shortened schedules and no state tournaments at the end, which is a bummer.  

Looks like our district (middle and high schools) will be moving to the hybrid model next week.  Half the students will be on campus from 835am to 1115am with the other half going 1215pm to 255pm.  This will be every Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri.  Wednesdays will have everyone remote.

Six 30 min classes I think is how they set it up when on campus.  No instruction if you arent on campus (aside from Wed), so if you are in the afternoon group you get to sleep in and do whatever until you go to school.

Hopefully they can get some good teaching done in that 30 mins.  With the distancing avail since only half the school is on campus at a time, and the mask mandate, I am hopeful this goes well.  

Looks like our district (middle and high schools) will be moving to the hybrid model next week.  Half the students will be on campus from 835am to 1115am with the other half going 1215pm to 255pm.  This will be every Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri.  Wednesdays will have everyone remote.

Six 30 min classes I think is how they set it up when on campus.  No instruction if you arent on campus (aside from Wed), so if you are in the afternoon group you get to sleep in and do whatever until you go to school.

Hopefully they can get some good teaching done in that 30 mins.  With the distancing avail since only half the school is on campus at a time, and the mask mandate, I am hopeful this goes well.  
It's interesting how differently each of the districts just within Orange County are going about this. For us, all 3 are a bit different:

Elementary will be starting back last week of September/beginning of October - Kids wear masks, etc., and it is hybrid from what I understand, so those that are choosing to stay home will listen in on zoom, those that are in class are there - pretty much full time. Biggest concern I had with their plan is that according to the school, the CDPH guidelines would let them have up to 27 students in the class for in person. Their classrooms are not that big, so I see no possible way that if there are close to that many kids on site that they would be able to maintain any form of social distancing. That would be hard with half those numbers.

Middle School heads back in early October as well. From what I recall, they are separating into two cohorts basically. One group is on site Monday/Tuesday, the other Wednesday/Thursday and Friday is everyone online. Also have option to remain 100% distance learning. We were able to request our preferred set of days but no guarantees. When you are not on site, you do log in and listen in to class on zoom.

High School is heading back mid-October. They are also separating into two cohorts, two days on site, two days remote - they are going Monday/Tuesday, everyone online Wednesday, then 2nd group is on site Thursday/Friday. Once everyone reconfirms whether they want to come back or stay 100% online they will divide the kids alphabetically to where they will have approximately half on site in each group. Not an easy task given that not everyone is in the same classes, so some classes may have 2/3rd on site one day and 1/3rd the others.

Will be interesting. Right now we are leaning to having the kids go back, hopefully the older two both get Monday/Tuesday as that would make things a lot easier for us. I am most concerned with the elementary school plan as it does not seem like it will be possible for them to maintain any real level of social distancing in the classroom based on their initial projections. 

Son had first freshman high school soccer game last night. It was weird though.

The game was away, and we get to the facility and there is a sign on the fence that says: Masks Must Be Worn In This Facility.

So all of our family wore their masks. We sit down, and 90% of the away team's fans were not wearing masks. In their own home facility.  Our team wore masks during warmups and took them off during the game.

The other team wore their masks the whole game.

Our team won 2-1. It was fun. The mask thing is nuts.  Who knows....

So far doing well.

7:30 -12

Alternate days of in school /virtual

I won't go into how the school rotates schedule etc

Got this email from the school today:

Today we will be hosting a live Coffee Connection with the Principal at 9:00am to present our McAuliffe Hybrid Reopening Plan. I hope you can join us to hear about important steps for your student to come back to campus safely on September 22nd.

Today’s Coffee Connection will address the following:

Hybrid Schedule
Arrival and Dismissal times
Safety enhancements inside and outside the classroom
Directional pathways for McAuliffe Middle School
Asynchronous Learning 
Safety protocols for students or staff with Covid-19 symptoms
Visitor Policy
Campus Tour Opportunity
Questions and Answers with the Principal

I'll be very curious to see what they say.  I can not watch but the kid's mom will and let me know.

Son had first freshman high school soccer game last night. It was weird though.

The game was away, and we get to the facility and there is a sign on the fence that says: Masks Must Be Worn In This Facility.

So all of our family wore their masks. We sit down, and 90% of the away team's fans were not wearing masks. In their own home facility.  Our team wore masks during warmups and took them off during the game.

The other team wore their masks the whole game.

Our team won 2-1. It was fun. The mask thing is nuts.  Who knows....
Slightly hot take: I am starting to think that outdoor athletic activities -- including all the major team sports -- are almost totally safe from COVID-19 spread. Even with heavy breathing and close proximity to other athletes. Many places have been doing various youth sports and similar since the beginning of summer ... so far, not outbreak from outdoor athletic activity has made national news. I'd like to think if something broke out somewhere from sports, it would be trumpeted all over the place.

I mean ... if the 'sport' were "enthusiastic foosball in an unventilated broom closet", then yeah -- that would be risky. Being outdoors seems to make a tremendous difference, and I'm not sure this difference is fully recognized or appreciated.

My spidey sense is also more or less OK with indoor sports as well due to the spaciousness of the venues -- even high school gyms are plenty large enough (given working HVAC and proper settings) to dissipate exhaled aerosols during competition. 

Slightly hot take: I am starting to think that outdoor athletic activities -- including all the major team sports -- are almost totally safe from COVID-19 spread. Even with heavy breathing and close proximity to other athletes. Many places have been doing various youth sports and similar since the beginning of summer ... so far, not outbreak from outdoor athletic activity has made national news. I'd like to think if something broke out somewhere from sports, it would be trumpeted all over the place.

I mean ... if the 'sport' were "enthusiastic foosball in an unventilated broom closet", then yeah -- that would be risky. Being outdoors seems to make a tremendous difference, and I'm not sure this difference is fully recognized or appreciated.

My spidey sense is also more or less OK with indoor sports as well due to the spaciousness of the venues -- even high school gyms are plenty large enough (given working HVAC and proper settings) to dissipate exhaled aerosols during competition. 
I have similar views, though a little less enthusiastic (not saying you are "enthusiastic") about the indoor sports, but much of that would depend on venue.

I am perfectly comfortable having my kids do outdoor sports, ie soccer, baseball (though none of my kids play baseball anymore) etc., preferably with some form of distancing in place for the kids on the bench/dugout. I have been doing "practice" with my 9 year olds basketball team, though we do it outdoors, keep the kids spaced for most of the practice, though we will scrimmage at the end. We did make a point to let all of the parents know that if they were not comfortable having their kid participate in the scrimmage to let us know.

Where I have drawn the line is some of the indoor trainings that some groups are doing (which are technically against current California guidelines). I'm not opposed to the indoor activities if they are set up in a relatively safe manner like you state (ie smaller group in a large high school gym, etc.), but there are some groups that are using whatever gym they can find (high schools are not letting outside groups use their facilities currently, so primarily small church gyms or other facilities), which are usually smaller and definitely not ventilated, and they are having upwards of 15+ kids training at the same time. Right now that's a no go for me. I've also seen a few tournaments going on (some out of state where they are allowed, some in California where it is still technically against the regulations) and they look no different than pre-pandemic, with 3 games playing at once in a high school gym, multiple teams packed in close together waiting for games and full of spectators. Again, that is pushing the limits for me. Fortunately to my knowledge there have been no major outbreaks from these events, but if they keep going on while California is at the community levels we are at, I think it is more a question of when, not if, we do have an outbreak from one of these events and they crack down even harder which is to me going to be worse than being a little more patient, getting the community levels down a bit more then opening up with better spectator and scheduling guidelines in place (for example, rather than the typical schedule where there is maybe 5 minutes between games to get as many in as possible, but extra time in so that when games finish, those teams can leave before the next team starts piling in). I get that it all comes down to money in these cases, and these guys really do need to pile in as many games as possible in a day to make some money.

I agree with you, and I think many others do as well.  Being outdoors seems to make a big difference.  Despite this, our governor is adamant against the playing of high school football, even claiming the surrounding states doing so are putting childrens' lives at risk.  

Just got this from our principal. NYC. In class was supposed to start on the 22nd (blended)

The Mayor announced just a few moments ago that elementary schools will not be open for live instruction until Tuesday, September 29th. Prior to the press conference today, school leaders were not given this information. I know that you all have many questions, and as of now, I do not have the answers. 

Principals have been called to a meeting today at 1pm and I am hoping we will get some clarity. As of now, there is no information about instructional expectations for next week or how this change will effect the blended learning weekly schedule. We have removed our blended schedule from the website and will post an updated version once we get some clarity.

Parents of one of our daughters classmates/friends informed us that they may switch their two kids to an online education system.  Currently, our school district has kids attend school two days a week in person with no teacher involvement on the other three days.    We are struggling to teach our daughter.   She is in grade 5 and isn’t quite ready to learn on her own for hours at a time.   Our friends work out of the house every day and feel that they are failing their two kids.  

My wife and I discussed the possibility of going to the online education system this morning but we have a lot of questions before we seriously consider this option.   The school district is going to review their learning plan every 9 weeks so we have over a month to kick this around.   Im hopeful the school board comes to their senses and the kids are back to school full time.  

I’m not a fan of the online education system due to the lack of social interaction but that is already greatly diminished with the current system.   The number of students in the classroom has been cut by 50% with the split and another 20% have opted for 100% at home schooling.    My daughter has a total of 4 kids in 2 of her classes.   Even the bus has a total of 6 kids.   I’m assuming that my daughter wouldn’t be permitted to play basketball for the school which would be a big negative..  She is a good basketball player and loves to be part of the team.  Sports are important as an avenue for kids to learn teamwork and how to deal with losing and adversity.   

Any thoughts about online education systems?

Only pointing out at my kids school they do the deal where teachers teach in person and remote view this, remotely.  It's not going well for the remote kids and they are whining.  I guess I can see that.  Not sure if anyone here is on the other side.

Overwhelming majority of in person schools have had zero issues.  I can see a huge rush of remote kids coming back soon as a result.  

Remote learning is going well for my 6th and 4th grader. When they get bored in class, they work ahead on posted assignments. Essentially they are getting to do homework during school hours, which they like a lot.

I imagine the success of remote learning will vary based on strength of teaching, remote classroom policy, and the students themselves. Hearing stories about classes being disrupted by kids laughing shows a painful lack of technical knowledge on the teacher's part. Just mute the kids when you are teaching, use the 'raise hand' feature for class participation.

In person school is certainly easier, but remote can be successful as well imo.

Welp after going most of the year with very low cases (minus the Nursing home in my area)  - Our HS has reported its first case only took 6 days

Any thoughts about online education systems?
Are you talking about:

A. Online system through your school district where they are providing the instruction, etc, just in an online format, but not through the home school

B. Online program where you are truly homeschooling, just with the assistance/guidance of one of the online academies (blanking on the names of the more popular ones)

From what I know, these are two very different things, requiring different levels of involvement from you as a parent, and different expectations of what would/should be provided. I also think age of the student comes into play here.

I'm not a fan of the online education system due to the lack of social interaction but that is already greatly diminished with the current system.   The number of students in the classroom has been cut by 50% with the split and another 20% have opted for 100% at home schooling.    My daughter has a total of 4 kids in 2 of her classes.   Even the bus has a total of 6 kids.   I’m assuming that my daughter wouldn’t be permitted to play basketball for the school which would be a big negative..  She is a good basketball player and loves to be part of the team.  Sports are important as an avenue for kids to learn teamwork and how to deal with losing and adversity. 
What age group? In our district, they had a few options, and below is how it would work out as far as participating in high school sports

1. 100% Online through a district wide program (initially said would be eligible for sports at home school, later came out that would not be eligible. I'm saying this is gray area as I do not know what final decision is)

2. 100% Online through Home School - even when schools reopen (scheduled for next month) student would remain 100% online with instruction from their normal high school teacher. These students are eligible to participate in high school sports.

3. In Person when Allowed - these are the students that said they would return in person when allowed. Current plan is a hybrid 2-day split - half students in person Monday/Tuesday (with others online), other half Thursday/Friday, everyone online Wednesday. Anyone that chose option 2 above would just be online every day. These students are eligible for high school sports.

As a virtual teacher (I’m it a classroom teacher but manages students with IEPs and assist their teachers) and holy smokes is this nuts. I’m doing as much managing of stressed out parents and teachers than student at this point. It’s going sort of well though. There’s just a few students/parents and teachers who are totally I equipped for this and they are melting down.

I teach High School and we are in our 3rd week.  We currently have 29 kids that are either positive or quarantined for contact reasons. We have an additional 40 who are remote learning (our district gave the option to start virtual) I also coach football and we now have 9 player( 6 starters ) who are positive or quarantined for contact reasons. This is at a H.S. with under 250 kids in it.  We canceled our JV football game last night and Friday's game looks to be in real jeopardy... honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't shutdown at go complete virtual soon
Update we did in fact have to cancel our Friday night varsity contest. we have gotten 6 kids back on football team (1 more tomorrow) but we lost an additional player who lives with Grandma who is now in Hospital withCOVID. Reports are she is in bad shape and may not make it. I cant help to wonder if our infections at school/football team may have caused this young man to bring it home to his grandmother. Thats why I felt this whole "Kids don't get sick" argument was asinine from the start because these kids go home to people who can and will get sick and possibly die. and if they do, we are setting those kids up for the guilt of perhaps being the ones who brought this disease to their parents and grandaparents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly hot take: I am starting to think that outdoor athletic activities -- including all the major team sports -- are almost totally safe from COVID-19 spread.
I agree with you, and I think many others do as well.  Being outdoors seems to make a big difference.  Despite this, our governor is adamant against the playing of high school football, even claiming the surrounding states doing so are putting childrens' lives at risk.  
One thing about sports that I do think has to be accounted for, though, is times/places that the athletes ARE in tight indoor quarters. Locker rooms are the easiest example. Some stadiums have cramped hallways & tunnels teams may have to wait in for some time before or after a contest. Perhaps on the bus rides back and forth (though windows can be opened).

One thing about sports that I do think has to be accounted for, though, is times/places that the athletes ARE in tight indoor quarters. Locker rooms are the easiest example. Some stadiums have cramped hallways & tunnels teams may have to wait in for some time before or after a contest. Perhaps on the bus rides back and forth (though windows can be opened).
True.  Teams around these parts are not going into locker rooms.  They are traveling with pants on, and putting other gear on outside/in the stadium.  We limit the # on buses too, so our football team takes 4 buses to an away game.  Band is not traveling to away games because of these limits.  Everyone in the stadium must be masked too, even though it is outdoors.  The state high school athletic association sends a observer to all contests to see that protocols are being followed.  If not schools risk cancellation/forfeiture.

This will all get more interesting when the weather changes.  Won't affect us here in SoCal other then some minor rain in Jan, but some of you getting snow and actual weather?  Won't be fun.

My 6th grader keeps expressing her frustration at the lack of learning going on and the asking of questions that were just answered. Sounds like the typical not paying attention kids might do in class are magnified since you can't just look around the room to see what book or papers people are getting out.  If you weren't paying attention, had a bad connection, or didn't hear the instruction, you have to ask.  

My 6th grader keeps expressing her frustration at the lack of learning going on and the asking of questions that were just answered. Sounds like the typical not paying attention kids might do in class are magnified since you can't just look around the room to see what book or papers people are getting out.  If you weren't paying attention, had a bad connection, or didn't hear the instruction, you have to ask.  
It's WAY easier to be sneakily using your phone or another electronic device in an online class than in an in-person class.  There's a lot of that going on I imagine.  I know that, among other distractions, my high school kids are in group texts where they chat with each other during classes.  

We're about 4 weeks in of full virtual learning from home. My daughter, who is in 2nd grade, is doing just fine.  She also gets to go back to in school learning in about a month when the 2nd quarter starts.

Unfortunately, I wish I could say it's going well but that's not the case for my son.  He's in 10th grade and he's gone from a 4.0 student last year (and all through previous years) to struggling big time.  He has virtual classes 4 days/week, from 10am until 2pm.  He attends all the live Zoom classes and has no issues there.  But he just can't/won't do the extra homework and assignments and his grades are suffering.  I've had to email/talk to each of his teachers already.  While he's smart, he's also lazy and not the most motivated kid and having no teacher interaction or structural environment won't allow him to keep up.  And every day it's just a fight trying to get him to do an assignment that doesn't take long to do or to get it uploaded so it can be graded.  And being stuck at home, there's just little incentive from me, either positive or negative, to really change it because he's simply giving up. 

On top of that, there's no signs of him getting back to in school time any time soon.  So, I'm just hoping that at some point he can get back and they'll look back with some understanding over this period and it doesn't have any long term effects for him, but I'm not confident that's the case and is my biggest worry/concern.  Just wish there was something I could do but I can't.  And daily begging/pleading/yelling to get stuff done just isn't helpful and is only making everything worse. 

Oh well, will just have to keep on trying and hope there's an end in sight.

Issues I’ve already seen in virtual HS

-kids with headphones that are actually just listening to music (I can tell by the head bob and in another instance, the kids dad caught her and ripped off the headphones and started yelling lol. We got to see the whole argument on mute)

- kids vaping , we have already had a few do it right on screen to show off so you know many more are hiding it

- kids aren’t required to have their cams on so lots of classes are 80% blank spots and the teacher has no clue who is listening or not. Always funny when the teacher then puts kids in breakout rooms and there’s 5 or 6 who never leave the main room because they aren’t even their to hit accept 

- the kids in the breakout room seem to just be 4 blank screens on mute and nobody talking- they are supposed to be doing some group work or going over the math problems together

- The teachers are struggling but many of these kids are putting in about 1% effort 

Last edited by a moderator:
We're about 4 weeks in of full virtual learning from home. My daughter, who is in 2nd grade, is doing just fine.  She also gets to go back to in school learning in about a month when the 2nd quarter starts.

Unfortunately, I wish I could say it's going well but that's not the case for my son.  He's in 10th grade and he's gone from a 4.0 student last year (and all through previous years) to struggling big time.  He has virtual classes 4 days/week, from 10am until 2pm.  He attends all the live Zoom classes and has no issues there.  But he just can't/won't do the extra homework and assignments and his grades are suffering.  I've had to email/talk to each of his teachers already.  While he's smart, he's also lazy and not the most motivated kid and having no teacher interaction or structural environment won't allow him to keep up.  And every day it's just a fight trying to get him to do an assignment that doesn't take long to do or to get it uploaded so it can be graded.  And being stuck at home, there's just little incentive from me, either positive or negative, to really change it because he's simply giving up. 

On top of that, there's no signs of him getting back to in school time any time soon.  So, I'm just hoping that at some point he can get back and they'll look back with some understanding over this period and it doesn't have any long term effects for him, but I'm not confident that's the case and is my biggest worry/concern.  Just wish there was something I could do but I can't.  And daily begging/pleading/yelling to get stuff done just isn't helpful and is only making everything worse. 

Oh well, will just have to keep on trying and hope there's an end in sight.
Yeah lots of that for sure going on. There’s a lot of factors swirling around but one thing that’s really showing up is how dependent these teens are on someone holding their hand through everything. 

Yeah lots of that for sure going on. There’s a lot of factors swirling around but one thing that’s really showing up is how dependent these teens are on someone holding their hand through everything. 
So, believe it or not, I don't think that's the case for him.  He was someone that would get all his homework done while at school waiting for stuff, riding the bus, etc. 

What he doesn't have is that face to face accountability of looking a teacher in the face with work not being done.  I think that's a big deal.  All he has is an email or group video sessions. 

Unfortunately, I wish I could say it's going well but that's not the case for my son.  He's in 10th grade and he's gone from a 4.0 student last year (and all through previous years) to struggling big time.  He has virtual classes 4 days/week, from 10am until 2pm.  He attends all the live Zoom classes and has no issues there.  But he just can't/won't do the extra homework and assignments and his grades are suffering.
My son is in a similar boat. His school has done a better job delivering the material this week, but my son is struggling with what amount to five 90-minute Zoom meetings per day. I check in on him with no warning once or twice per class period (my home office is adjacent to his room) and I have caught him either asleep or elsewhere engaged instead of watching the teacher. Secretly, I don't blame him -- at his age, in his situation, I'd have been the same way.

The solution, I can see now, is to simply teach him most of the material myself. Basically, I will teach him as he goes through his online assignments. He says that what he does see/hear in the online lessons he pretty much forgets immediately -- I don't know if that's him, the teachers, or the challenges of this particular setup (esp length of classes). Likely some combination of the three.

We really don't have a better option right now. The in-class program is only two days per week anyway (with two days online), and the regimentation is something I think he would deal with poorly (described earlier in this thread).

- the kids in the breakout room seem to just be 4 blank screens on mute and nobody talking- they are supposed to be doing some group work or going over the math problems together

- The teachers are struggling but many of these kids are putting in about 1% effort 
I think for kids to get the most out of virtual learning ... they have to either be in the top 1% percentile of self-motivation among their peers, or their parents have to be domineering and constantly in their face. Better to have both, and better for the parent(s) not to have to be working.

Distance learning and online content seem to be a lot better for people personally staked in learning the material -- adult learners, college students, etc.

So, believe it or not, I don't think that's the case for him.  He was someone that would get all his homework done while at school waiting for stuff, riding the bus, etc. 

What he doesn't have is that face to face accountability of looking a teacher in the face with work not being done.  I think that's a big deal.  All he has is an email or group video sessions. 
Does the face to face accountability with you matter? Or he is rebellious/tuned out some of that from his parents? 

I think for kids to get the most out of virtual learning ... they have to either be in the top 1% percentile of self-motivation among their peers, or their parents have to be domineering and constantly in their face. Better to have both, and better for the parent(s) not to have to be working.

Distance learning and online content seem to be a lot better for people personally staked in learning the material -- adult learners, college students, etc.
Interesting. I think there are a lot of reasons and it is different for different kids. The level of distractions are crazy high in our modern world. If your kid is having trouble remembering things in class, hopefully he is taking notes through class- though I think old school taking notes isn't something that is done nearly as much anymore. But yeah, this is very much not ideal for most kids. It was already borderline ruining education fighting with kids to put away their air pods and phones when they were sitting in class. It's an impossible battle virtually. Most of the HS teachers I have talked to are hating this and are incredibly frustrated with it all too. I spend all day long trying to pep talk and problem solve with parents, teachers and students. 

I think we have created a world where our kids are far too passive. They wait to have things handed to them and when I am meeting with my kids, I am trying to create more of an offensive mindset. They have to go out and make things happen in this virtual world. 

Users who are viewing this thread