What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

Southern CA is back on the high risk level of the chart and closing indoor dining, gyms, large gatherings, etc. 

Letter from the Superintendent:

"I hope this message finds you and your loved ones healthy as we approach Thanksgiving. 

As you may have heard, Governor Gavin Newsom announced that Orange County has been placed back on the Purple Tier (most restrictive tier) because of an increase in COVID-19 transmission. The California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy outlines a four-tiered, color-coded system to show the status of COVID-19 infections and restrictions in a county.

Even though the Purple Tier designation imposes restrictions on businesses and various social activities, it does not affect our instructional program in the District. According to California Department of Public Health guidelines, schools such as ours that have already resumed in-person instruction can remain open with necessary precautions already in place. It is important to keep in mind that this guidance could be subject to change based on any future state directives. We will, of course, promptly communicate any changes.

We are confident in the stringent health and safety procedures our teachers and staff have worked hard to implement at all nine of our campuses. We also greatly appreciate your efforts to screen your students for symptoms of COVID-19 at home each day before arriving at school. This shared responsibility is critical to our ability to keep our schools open for in-person hybrid learning.

Here are some steps you can take to slow the spread of COVID-19: 

Wear a mask whenever you leave your home.
Avoid gatherings and maintain a physical distance of 6 feet from anyone not in your household.
Wash your hands often. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. 
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.

Thank you for your continued support and remember that we are all Better Together!"

Looks like the district has had 7 students and 3 staff test positive.  None at my daughter's school....

Last edited by a moderator:
Our middle school is going to finish out the next two weeks with the hybrid model, then will take an extra 3 weeks after Christmas break to remain remote only - there was a spike in cases after Thanksgiving that they are still waiting to get the full scope of (number of kids still out pending test results), but they decided that this was best course of action.

Waiting to hear if they will be doing the same for the elementary and high schools.

Our middle school is currently hybrid with 2 days virtual and 2 face-to-face.  This week they moved to 4 days face-to-face.  I am glad they are making the change, but I can't believe they didn't just wait until after the break to make the change.

Our high school will be making the change to face-to-face on January 19 which is the beginning of the next semester.  This seems like a much safer plan and even gives some added protection to account for a potential spike over Christmas break

My son's HS is still 100% virtual and has been all year.  They were supposed to go back last week but that's been pushed back to 2nd semester when they come back after the New Year. 

:(

Our mayor and schools chancellor keep dropping plans in press conferences- without discussions with school districts and/or principals prior, and without any specific help or plans for schools to enact these changes. Kind of shocking, tbh, even after almost a year of it.

My kids' school has been 100% virtual all year, and I bet they don't go back to campus until next fall. 

They seem to be doing OK, but the district just announced that every Wednesday is asynchronous work day (plus specialized small groups for those that are falling behind). So if the kid is doing OK, they just watch videos al day and do online worksheets.  Lame.

My kids' school has been 100% virtual all year, and I bet they don't go back to campus until next fall. 

They seem to be doing OK, but the district just announced that every Wednesday is asynchronous work day (plus specialized small groups for those that are falling behind). So if the kid is doing OK, they just watch videos al day and do online worksheets.  Lame.
My son's middle school just started doing this. Waste of his time. But it sounds like a number of kids in his small 8th grade class are slipping behind...not sure what's going on- maybe because they don't turn their cameras on or involve themselves in their online live classes. Makes us want to switch schools for HS.

We have had an interesting experience. 

Two different kids, two different High Schools.  One kid excelled one kid really struggled - combination of organized kid in good school, and less organized kid in bad school.

As a district, they flirted with going to hybrid in early November, but ultimately decided against it - simply not prepared to make that change mid-semester.  They have been offering in-person instruction for kids deemed "at-risk" - but its pretty limited, kids can't be in school more than 2 hours, and I think its only on Wednesday.

We have had an asynchronous Wednesday all year - and I think I like it for the most part.  But it depends on the student - for our more organized student, she uses the day very effectively to stay on top of homework and upcoming tests, our other daughter struggles to stay focused.

A very vocal minority of parents are agitating to go back in person - as many of the surrounding counties had gone back in person.  And, so we were given the option in November to choose remote or in-person for the spring semester.  I wanted to keep one at home, and send one to school, but in the end, we opted for remote learning for both.  We will see.  The choices were for schools to be prepared for "X" number of students to return - but these were also firm choices, meaning it takes an Act of God to change you mind later.  The return to school is still subject to approval by the school board, who have been following the community spread numbers as their guide - and Lexington is not getting any better, so its going to be interesting to see how that vote goes this upcoming week.

Oh, and our school superintendent died unexpectedly after Thanksgiving, and he had been a driving force in following state guidelines in keeping schools remote.

So, I have no idea what the School Board will decide, but we (our family) will be remote for the rest of the school year.

So after driving the school bus into a virtual ditch, the state has decided that we have to be back in person. My state has been locked down pretty much the whole time. Teachers were on a priority list to be vaccinated, but suddenly they reversed that, cancelled our appointments and ordered our return to school.

Unfortunately, return in person is optional for students. They can opt to stay online or come in for hybrid. Hybrid is only two days a week, sitting in the same classroom all day, six feet apart, masked, and attending all their classes virtually. Teachers will be supervising a pod of students all day while teaching all classes online.  I estimate that about 25% of my students even want to return in person at this point since the fear mongering has been high.

As far as learning goes, some is happening, but it's as hit and miss as their internet connections in this rural, agricultural valley. Mainly I'm trying to keep my students connected and to feel valued. My students are scattered. I have about a third in Mexico, a few in California, Arizona, and even one in the Bronx. As long as we're online, I guess it doesn't really matter.

This year has sucked for education, sucked for my students, sucked for me, and sucked the joy of teaching right out of my soul. For the first time, I'm considering walking away.

My wife and I are struggling to decide on whether to send our elementary school aged kids back full-time. 

For those of you with elementary school aged kids who attend in-person (roomies) while there are kids attending virtually (zoomies), which group gets more attention?

My thoughts were that the roomies would get more attention than the zoomies because they are physically there, but a friend that is a teacher said it's the opposite, that she ends up mainly teaching to the zoomies, as monitoring the technology eats up the attention and the roomies just end up bored and stuck in their seats. 

Thoughts?

I don't know, but our kids (5, 8, 10) have a remote day once every 2 weeks and did a full week both after Thanksgiving and Christmas. They've made it abundantly clear they hate it and it shows in both their behavior and performance too. That's all I need to know. 

At this point, I think I'd send them back.  They probably really need to get out of the house.
My kids seem to like it just fine.  We have a nanny that watches them from 8:00 - 2:00. After that my mother in law takes over until dinner.  This frees my wife and I up to actually work during the day.  They have fun with the nanny, building forts in the house, playing games, and going to the park or around the block.  Do they get enough time outside? No, they could use more, but my kids seem to enjoy the freedom of virtual schooling. I don't think they'll get more run around time if they are in campus, as recess is curtailed because they don't want the classrooms mixing with each other. 

I am affiliated with a private school. 350 students k-12. Been in person all year.

Social distance as best as they can. Probably, 3-4 feet between desk rather than 6’. Teachers “mask up” when teaching with a clear shield so students can see their mouths while they are lecturing. Temps and questions taken every morning before allowing students into building. Lots of extra cleaning protocol.

Had to go virtual for two weeks right after Christmas break because of a mini breakout with teachers. No confirmed cases with elementary students. Less than 10 confirmed cases with high school students all year. All cases mild.

Public schools in our area have only been virtual. Our school is maxed to capacity with their “social distancing” but gets over 10 requests a week for new enrollment. 

In person works. Have to be creative or even go virtual short term if there is an issue. 

Parents are grateful we are open! 

My wife and I are struggling to decide on whether to send our elementary school aged kids back full-time. 

For those of you with elementary school aged kids who attend in-person (roomies) while there are kids attending virtually (zoomies), which group gets more attention?

My thoughts were that the roomies would get more attention than the zoomies because they are physically there, but a friend that is a teacher said it's the opposite, that she ends up mainly teaching to the zoomies, as monitoring the technology eats up the attention and the roomies just end up bored and stuck in their seats. 

Thoughts?
I'm in So Cal, have an elementary, middle school and high schooler.

Elementary student has been back in class full time since late October. He was doing fine online and we kept him online for January to allow all the holiday "cheer" to run it's course, but he loves going in person, seeing friends, etc. They keep them spaced out (I think 3 kids per table in class, spread out, no sharing of items like pens, and masks on indoors at all times), and they are limited on what they can do at recess/lunch, but other than that he is excelling. It has not been our experience that the online kids get more attention, but I would venture a guess that everyone's experience is different based on age (my son is in 4th grade, so the kids for the most part are able to stay on task, I'm sure K or 1st is a different story), school setup (1 teacher for both, is an aide in class to help one set vs. the other, dedicated online teacher per grade) and just how well the teacher and kids have adapted in general.

Middle schooler goes 2 days in person, 3 days online. He says for most of his classes there are no more than 2-4 students in person, and they are mostly logging in to computers and doing zoom from the classroom, but they do have the advantage of direct teacher interaction there if needed. After Christmas, their entire school stayed remote for all of January. He debated if he wanted to go back to in person, but decided he enjoyed the time in class enough to keep going in. They wear masks indoors at all times, have plastic table shields they have to take with them to all classes and to put up at tables for breaks/lunch.

High schooler has opted to stay 100% online. It works well for him, he is excelling (Honors and AP classes), and it means he can roll out of bed at 745 for class at 755, and most days he is done at 1155 (he has 0 period, thus the early start) and is in sports and has no 5th period, so his day ends at lunch. Right now he goes in 2 days a week for basketball training, but now that California is opening back up for high school sports, that frequency will increase. For his high school, there are only about 300-350 students out of 2400 that have come back for in person. Most classes have only 1 or 2 students attending in person. They are hoping that after spring break more will choose to come back.

Kids in 4th and 8th grade, blended...2-3 days per week since Feb.

Imo, the kids need social interaction for their development. Sure, studying and playing at home with their sibling can be ok...but they need to figure out all the interpersonal actions/reactions that go with in person learning. I've watched most of the kids around us seriously regress with social growth.

Last day of school yesterday. Thank goodness. Absolutely challenging year and glad to be done with it and getting a break. 

My youngest two did fine. My oldest in high school struggled mightily. In the end, finished with a solid GPA and couldn't be more pleased. But it wasn't easy.

Recent local news story how grades down everywhere across the board. Hope all of you got through this as best as possible.

We had an interesting year.  We were full remote until March.  We had declined to go back in January (and the schools themselves did not open back up either), but we did opt to send 9th and 11th grader back in person in March.

9th grader wanted to go back, and experience high school.  She had literally not been in the building since she tested for the program in November 2019.  She did great during the remote period, but wanted a few weeks to get used to high school, and meet some of her peers - she knew only a handful of kids in the program, other than through zoom and discord.

She went back, and, frankly, it was emotionally and physically exhausting for her.  Her school is on the other side of town, and she has a zero-hour class - so we were out the door by about 6:45 each morning (as opposed to rolling out of bed at 7:15 during the remote time).  She is also an introvert, and just being around all the people (about 50% of the students went back), was emotionally draining for her.  She continued to do well in school, and I think it was important first step to getting back to a more normal social life.  But, it was not easy for her.

11th grader really struggled during the remote period - just could not stay focused and on task.  It was a constant battle to get her caught up on everything.  But, she had no interest in going back in-person at all.  She is also introverted, but with her, we were more worried that was extending to anti-social behavior, and felt it was important to get her back into school for the socialization aspect.  Fortunately the "I hate you for making me go back" period did not last long.  And she really rebounded both academically and socially, even though we were only back for about 6 weeks.  (Our school year ended a few weeks ago, with AP tests taking place after school was out).

Grade-wise, our kids did not slip, but with the older one, it was definitely more of a struggle.

My district offered a virtual option this year and I taught that exclusively. We offered the same for next year but enrollment was so low that we are going to cancel it and all students will be F2F. Our F2F programs did fine for the most part. We had to close a couple times for a week here or there due to outbreaks. At one point in the spring 40% of the kids were deemed a close contact and in quarantine so so we just went virtual at that point. Then after Spring Break we had over 100 kids test positive so we took another virtual break. Now that vaccines are available, numbers are down. We only have 1 or 2 kids test positive per week.

Figured I'd dust this thread off. After about 18 months of doing the right thing, the cirst week of school has a kid home in quarenteen already because of an exposure and a kid who couldnt start the year on time because the teacher got sick at meet the teacher event. Our online optionwas taken away and the state forbids a mask mandate, though several districts are simply ignoring the governor. 

Hows It going with the rest of you?

The Commish said:
Figured I'd dust this thread off. After about 18 months of doing the right thing, the cirst week of school has a kid home in quarenteen already because of an exposure and a kid who couldnt start the year on time because the teacher got sick at meet the teacher event. Our online optionwas taken away and the state forbids a mask mandate, though several districts are simply ignoring the governor. 

Hows It going with the rest of you?

We got a decision/email from the school board that online was not in the works for this year.   The tone was basically if you are going that route, you are on your own and home schooling.    Masks required for grades k-8, but optional for H.S.    Back to 5 days instead of the 4 like last year.   

I guess I am fine with this option, but wish there was a way for all the kids to have a vaccination option before school started (youngest is 6).   I was bracing myself for a hybrid model as cases rise, but glad for the kids it's not that.   Online was a huge struggle for both, so that's not viable, but I do worry that they are lifting the restrictions they had in place last year a little too much.   

Already shared but here in AZ Ducey and the legislature forbids mask mandates. Some school districts rebelling. Lawsuits in the works. There's an actual September deadline for that ban. Our district is pretty red and I'm pretty sure they'll never mandate. Masks running at 25-30 percent max, maybe less at my kids middle school. Most of her teachers are maskless (which pisses me off...set an example). We're having her wear one. Been 9 reported cases so far in her school in the first 3 weeks. Makes me a bit nervous though feel blessed we all got vaxxed including my daughter who turned 12 end of May. We were virtual for the past year plus. I hate to send her back to something like that and have her miss out on live interactions again. We'll see what happens I guess as far as spread.

Already shared but here in AZ Ducey and the legislature forbids mask mandates. Some school districts rebelling. Lawsuits in the works. There's an actual September deadline for that ban. Our district is pretty red and I'm pretty sure they'll never mandate. Masks running at 25-30 percent max, maybe less at my kids middle school. Most of her teachers are maskless (which pisses me off...set an example). We're having her wear one. Been 9 reported cases so far in her school in the first 3 weeks. Makes me a bit nervous though feel blessed we all got vaxxed including my daughter who turned 12 end of May. We were virtual for the past year plus. I hate to send her back to something like that and have her miss out on live interactions again. We'll see what happens I guess as far as spread.
Forgot to add they have some measures in place like 3 feet distancing. Read that again. 3 feet. Ummm isn't that basically already one's personal space? 😐

like others reported, my teens grades plummeted as each quarter passed.  3rd quarter was a 2.1 and had teachers constantly emailing.   went back to school for 4th quarter and rocked a 4.0.    I am for sure glad in school is a thing as he starts High School. 

mandatory masks, while inside.  all grades.  mine is a sophomore 

kid isn't thrilled.  not about the mask mandate.  just that school sucks.   :lmao:  

we did keep her enrolled in the online option, that has always been available, here in our district. so we are prepared, more than most, if #### goes sideways again.  and other than losing the social aspect of HS, the online version, is a highly superior product.  schoolwork takes about 75% less time to complete.  with zero homework. curriculum is exactly the same.  no zoom calls.  she can transfer back to 100% in person, or 100% online, at any time.  right now she is 1/3 at school, 2/3 online.

Iowa's governor signed a law last year that no public school can require masks.  There will also be no contact tracing this year for students at my son's school district.  We are a smaller district (350 total students in the middle school 6-8th grade) and I think there was less that 50 cases total last year between faculty and students.

3 days in, already got the first "someone has covid at school".  gonna be an interesting ride.

Friday is a week in, no masks, only notification was a football coach tested positive.

I love this approach.  I don't need an email every time someone tests positive.  Don't care.

like others reported, my teens grades plummeted as each quarter passed.  3rd quarter was a 2.1 and had teachers constantly emailing.   went back to school for 4th quarter and rocked a 4.0.    I am for sure glad in school is a thing as he starts High School. 

This would be an anecdote implying a result WAY worse than the cumulative outcome of kids under 18 for covid.

No effing way am I letting my kids miss a day of school over this as long as the choice is mine.

All of the things that piss you off make me root for AZ.  You have done your part on the vaccine.

We already know what happens on the spread.. same as anywhere else just sooner versus later.

3 days in, already got the first "someone has covid at school".  gonna be an interesting ride.
At the one school we've had three entire grades shut down this week already.  My daughter's is one of them.  If the year continues to go this way, I'm struggling to understand the "they need social interaction with their friends" POV.  They aren't getting it when "face to face" is once every few weeks.  They have better social interactions among friends/family outside of school.

This would be an anecdote implying a result WAY worse than the cumulative outcome of kids under 18 for covid.

No effing way am I letting my kids miss a day of school over this as long as the choice is mine.
Here the rule is, if you choose to wear a mask and a close contact tests positive it doesn’t matter. If you choose not to and someone around you tests positive, you’re out of school for contact tracing. So, given that your priority is not letting kids miss a day of school, would you mask them?  

Daughter's high school is still planning on doing in person school with masks.   They announced last week that if you're vaccinated and know you've been exposed to someone with Covid, you don't have to stay home from school.

That seems pretty stupid.

Daughter's high school is still planning on doing in person school with masks.   They announced last week that if you're vaccinated and know you've been exposed to someone with Covid, you don't have to stay home from school.

That seems pretty stupid.
Here's an update to the policy we just received.

Dear CUSD Families and Staff,

We are writing to inform you that the Maricopa County Department of Public Health has notified local school districts that they have the delegated authority to determine which contacts must be quarantined. This is outlined in the Arizona Revised Statutes Title 36, Chapter 6, Article 2 (36-624) and Arizona Administrative Code (R9-6-361)

Maricopa County Department of Public Health continues to follow CDC and Arizona Department of Public Health Services guidelines which defines close contact of a COVID-19 case as being any person within 6 feet for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more during a 24-hour period, regardless of whether masks were worn. Effective Wednesday, August 26, 2021 students who have close contact with an individual who has a confirmed case of COVID-19 and who are not fully vaccinated or have not tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days are to quarantine (stay home) for up to 10 days, per county mandate.

Students may shorten the duration of a quarantine in three ways:

Quarantine may end after 7 days if no symptoms have occurred and a documented negative result has been provided to the school. If choosing to return after seven days, the test sample must have been collected at least five days after exposure.

If your child has been fully vaccinated and you voluntarily submit proof to the school. If 14 days have passed since your second dose in a two-dose series (or two weeks after a single dose vaccine), you do not have to quarantine.

If your child previously tested positive for COVID-19 by PCR or antigen test, recovered and then completed his/her isolation period in the last 90 days.

As a safety measure please keep your child home if ill or shows Covid-19 symptoms. We continue to highly recommend face coverings as an additional layer of mitigation. For updates and continuous information, click here to view our mitigation plan in its entirety.

Thank you for your continued support.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yeah, if vaxxed or previously sick within 90 days, no need to quarantine if exposed to a positive case. Just go to school and keep the spread going.

Users who are viewing this thread