What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Who Test Positive Will Be Placed On "Covid-19" List for 3 Weeks...or Maybe Not Anymore. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/7406/roger-goodell

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports players who test positive will be placed on a 'COVID-19 list' for three weeks.

It’s unclear what will happen if a player on the COVID-19 list can’t return to practice after three weeks. A player being moved to said list will occur as if they were being moved to injured reserve, creating a roster spot that would then be filled with a player (presumably from every organization's expanded practice squad) who is negative for the virus. Fantasy players would be wise to start discussing their home re-draft league rules for this upcoming season as soon as possible.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Jul 16, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going create havoc and possibly destroy high stakes fantasy leagues for redraft.  They do not offer IR spots so when bye weeks hit, injuries hit and covid hits (if we have a season) then teams will be forced to drop high level players and this season will become pure choas.

This is going create havoc and possibly destroy high stakes fantasy leagues for redraft.  They do not offer IR spots so when bye weeks hit, injuries hit and covid hits (if we have a season) then teams will be forced to drop high level players and this season will become pure choas.
While it does suck and I don't play in any super high stakes leagues, it'll make it one very interesting season!

If a "high stakes" site can't code in a covid ir spot or five, then it's time to take your money elsewhere.

What if it's a false positive? Can they get off the list after testing negative X times?

Or, what if the positive test comes 14 days after becoming symptomatic? Shouldn't the player be able to get off the list after 7 days?

I don't think the NFL has thought this through.

NFL wants COVID opt out decisions by August 1

It is yet another surprisingly aggressive, antagonistic posture from a league that seems to have just realized it has a million tough choices looming in the near future. The idea that on-the-fence players — whether because of a pre-existing health condition or condition to a family member — will have clarity on their 2020 feelings just days into camp isn't remotely realistic. As was the case in Major League Baseball, a process that screams out for unity is quickly devolving into the typical hardball negotiating tactics.   

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 16, 2020, 9:47 PM ET

So, my question would be do the players who test positive HAVE to miss 3 weeks, or is it a 3-week maximum?  I've not seen that specified anywhere.

we tried the unlimited covid 19 spots on ir but it got voted down because we need 80% for.  We ended up with 2 additional from the already existing one

If it becomes common, a temporary move to best ball might be a good option. Other possibilities include implementing injury sub rules and encouraging owners to use them liberally.

IE: Before the games, list backups for players to be inserted in case of last minute scratches. If your Mahomes plays Monday and Tannehill plays Thursday...you post on Thursday that Tannehill is backing up Mahomes. If Mahomes is a late scratch for COVID, Tannehill's numbers count instead. It isn't bestball, but it is a little more work

With recent evidence showing that there is no “herd immunity”  because antibodies fade in just a few months, and other reports suggesting the second time someone gets COVID it can be significantly worse, I don’t see how there will be a football season.

add to that the rising number of cases in MLB and NBA, especially considering they are already expected to be isolating and still coming down with it, i’m not planning on being too emotionally invested In my teams this year. It’s a bummer, as I have a “win now“ dynasty team, not to mention I was getting excited for the 49ers season

:(  

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/7406/roger-goodell

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports, as proposed by the NFL, players who test positive for COVID-19 would be placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, with no minimum or maximum stay.

Initial reports included moving those who test positive for COVID-19 to injured reserve for a minimum of three weeks, but those rules are being proposed for injured reserve generally. Florio clarifies that a player with a confirmed diagnosis will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List and won’t be required to miss at least three weeks. In fact, there will be no minimum or maximum stay and, as it always entails when being placed on the Commissioner Exempt list, players will not face the loss of compensation. Every team will still have the ability to return an unlimited number of players to the active roster following placement on injured reserve. These rules would only apply in 2020.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Jul 18, 2020, 10:53 AM ET

With recent evidence showing that there is no “herd immunity”  because antibodies fade in just a few months, and other reports suggesting the second time someone gets COVID it can be significantly worse, I don’t see how there will be a football season.

add to that the rising number of cases in MLB and NBA, especially considering they are already expected to be isolating and still coming down with it, i’m not planning on being too emotionally invested In my teams this year. It’s a bummer, as I have a “win now“ dynasty team, not to mention I was getting excited for the 49ers season

:(  
Source for the bolded? Thanks in advance.

Unlimited Covid-19 IR spots imo. 
Yahoo gives max of 5 IR but I'm also thinking of adding 4 rounds to the draft and expand benches. I wonder if NFL and the fantasy sites will have specific covid statuses? That would solve any sort of IR slot abuse.

This guy is out of control on his mission lol.  Doctors around the globe are saying that the 2nd time is significantly BETTER.... and that's IF it ever happens (still no confirmed 2nd cases). 
i don't have insight on this issue.

but if there is doubt that 2nd infections ever happen, and there are no confirmed 2nd cases,

what is causing doctors around the globe to say that the 2nd time is significantly BETTER?

i think i see the guy on a mission.

Yes things have changed the way they are doing both IR (3 weeks min out instead of 8 ) and the way they are handling the virus (comish exempt list not IR) and that could be 1 week or for whatever number weeks.

Or so that is the current report and subject to change.

Source for the bolded? Thanks in advance.
Literally every news source there is right now. 
Here are a few:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/7/12/21321653/getting-covid-19-twice-reinfection-antibody-herd-immunity

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5429012002

Here’s one specifically calling out the 2nd time as worse. 
https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistleblower-doctors-say-coronavirus-reinfection-even-deadlier/amp/

lots of narratives crashing to earth lately. Here’s a single county in TX where 85 infants under 1 tested positive. I’m sure they all had preexisting conditions tho. :shrug:  

https://t.co/0iQLr1vxvm

none of this is going to change the hearts or minds of those in here who’ve stuck to the same narrative since February, I realize. Ah well. 

you're welcome, in advance. :thumbup:

i don't have insight on this issue.

but if there is doubt that 2nd infections ever happen, and there are no confirmed 2nd cases,

what is causing doctors around the globe to say that the 2nd time is significantly BETTER?

i think i see the guy on a mission.
What mission would that be?  Spreading truth?  This guy admittedly thought a 1% mortality rate meant 1% of the entire population dies. 

You can Google it yourself, many virologists out there have made this claim. 

Here are a few:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/7/12/21321653/getting-covid-19-twice-reinfection-antibody-herd-immunity

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistleblower-doctors-say-coronavirus-reinfection-even-deadlier/amp/

lots of narratives crashing to earth lately. Here’s a single county in TX where 85 infants under 1 tested positive. I’m sure they all had preexisting conditions tho. :shrug:  

none of this is going to change the hearts or minds of those in here who’ve stuck to the same narrative since February, I realize. Ah well. 
Says the guy who just linked articles from February lol. 

And no one once said pre-existing conditions were a factor in GETTING covid. We said it was a factor in dying from covid. But once again making up an argument that was never made. 

Says the guy who just linked articles from February lol. 

And no one once said pre-existing conditions were a factor in GETTING covid. We said it was a factor in dying from covid. But once again making up an argument that was never made. 
Why does it matter when they’re linked from? They answered the question. 

not sure why FBG board showed me this post since you’ve been on ignore for months, but you should find someone else to obsess over. 

and I never said anyone here was arguing about preexisting conditions. That’s a common narrative out there in the world about young people getting Infected so I mentioned it. Maybe don’t be so paranoid that you assume I’m talking about you when I clearly am not. If I wanted to quote a member I would use the quote feature.

have a nice day. 

Why does it matter when they’re linked from? They answered the question. 

not sure why FBG board showed me this post since you’ve been on ignore for months, but you should find someone else to obsess over. 

and I never said anyone here was arguing about preexisting conditions. That’s a common narrative out there in the world about young people getting Infected so I mentioned it. Maybe don’t be so paranoid that you assume I’m talking about you when I clearly am not. If I wanted to quote a member I would use the quote feature.

have a nice day. 
Because you took me off ignore like you have 3 times before.  Not obsessing, just correcting your constant misinformation you're spreading. 

I didn't assume you were talking about me. There's no narrative that young people can't be infected, it's that their infections aren't dangerous to themselves. But hey, keep making it up. 

Have a nice day. 

It’s a good thing athletes are young and strong & thus unaffected by COVID like the olds, alleged so many in here who obviously didn’t see Freddy Freeman so sick on Friday night he reportedly prayed to god because he thought he was going to die.

https://twitter.com/jeffschultzatl/status/1284573173216956416?s=21
You already had one of your threads locked for you going off topic. This thread is about the 3 week rule... stick to the politics forum if you want to ramble on your narrative. 

You already had one of your threads locked for you going off topic. This thread is about the 3 week rule... stick to the politics forum if you want to ramble on your narrative. 
I’m pretty tired of his off topic antics as well. But he is from California, hears the panic everyday, and can’t help himself

hes posted that in at least one other thread. I guess he wants to spam it everywhere 

I’m pretty tired of his off topic antics as well. But he is from California, hears the panic everyday, and can’t help himself

hes posted that in at least one other thread. I guess he wants to spam it everywhere 

Honestly both of you are 100 times worse. I'm super sick of reading your posts back and forth with him. And he has been more than gracious. And mostly on point. You guys are nuts. I'll take a break from the boards voluntarily just to not have to read garbage like what you guys have been trolling with. 

Honestly both of you are 100 times worse. I'm super sick of reading your posts back and forth with him. And he has been more than gracious. And mostly on point. You guys are nuts. I'll take a break from the boards voluntarily just to not have to read garbage like what you guys have been trolling with. 
Cool, enjoy the vacation. 

Here are a few:

Testing positive isn’t the same as dying or being hospitalized 

you’re welcome in advance 

Testing positive isn’t the same as dying or being hospitalized 

you’re welcome in advance 
The former belief was that young people weren’t effected & that babies or infants couldn’t get it.  This was a running narrative for months. 

narratives change when larger data samples are available.

i’m not sure what your point is. I was just sharing a report that showed a shift in what is now known. Take it or leave it. 

have a nice day. 

The former belief was that young people weren’t effected & that babies or infants couldn’t get it.  This was a running narrative for months. 

narratives change when larger data samples are available.

i’m not sure what your point is. I was just sharing a report that showed a shift in what is now known. Take it or leave it. 

have a nice day. 
I don’t recall anyone saying babies couldn’t get it at all. I believe what we have heard is the younger you are the less severe the toll the disease takes on you.

What do preexisting conditions have to do with someone contracting the disease? You seem to not know which narrative you want to push. In an effort to be excellent and keep this on topic, I’ll stop there

I don’t recall anyone saying babies couldn’t get it at all. I believe what we have heard is the younger you are the less severe the toll the disease takes on you.

What do preexisting conditions have to do with someone contracting the disease? You seem to not know which narrative you want to push. In an effort to be excellent and keep this on topic, I’ll stop there
I’m not pushing any narrative. Just reporting the news. 

i have no idea what YOU recall or don’t recall. I clearly recall many saying that COVID didn’t effect young people.

i also recall people saying it only had a severe effect on people with preexisting conditions.

and I absolutely recall people on this very forum saying clearly that pro atheletes wouldn’t be effected or get severely ill. 

Freddy Freeman puts one myth to bed, the babies getting infected puts another myth to bed. 

None of those things are “pushing a narrative” and it doesn’t really matter what you saw or didn’t see. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

none of this is a debate & i’m certainly not looking to win an argument (or even have one). like everyone here I assume we all want more, and more accurate information. Like everyone here, I want sports to return. 

If everyone here could stop trolling & start looking at the available data together (and not challenging everything everyone says all the time) then maybe we can all improve our base of understanding of what is happening & how realistic it is that we have football. 

I’m not pushing any narrative. Just reporting the news. 

i have no idea what YOU recall or don’t recall. I clearly recall many saying that COVID didn’t effect young people.

i also recall people saying it only had a severe effect on people with preexisting conditions.

and I absolutely recall people on this very forum saying clearly that pro atheletes wouldn’t be effected or yet severely ill. 

Freddy Freeman puts one myth to bed, the babies getting infected puts another myth to bed. 

None of those things are “pushing a narrative” and it doesn’t really matter what you saw or didn’t see. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

If everyone here could stop trolling & start looking at the available data together (and not challenging everything everyone says all the time) then maybe we can all improve our base of understanding of what is happening & how realistic it is that we have football. 
Your narrative is so obvious.   No one on this forum said that NO pro athletes would be effected.  The number is so miniscule.  Even your ONE example (of hundreds of athletes who have tested positive for it) didn't even need to go to the hospital.  That is not putting one myth to bed at all. You recall incorrectly if anyone said that young people 'can't get it'. 

Try to stay on topic.   Even since Joe's message of keeping this on football, you've made numerous posts about babies getting the disease, baseball players, young people, etc.  This topic is about the 3 week suspension, but you can't seem to try to defend this irrelevant and incorrect stuff you're saying.  Keep it on the NFL Covid suspensions before you get a 3rd thread locked for being off topic.  The bolded you posted is not what this thread is about.... there's a thread in the politics forum about the effects of covid on the NFL.

The NFL came out with their algorithm on of a player tests positive with or without symptoms 

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1279435914859683846?s=21

ETA: this was actually out much before the OP made his post and is about preseason/camp. I don’t understand why they can’t adopt it for the season too

This helps take into account the false positive tests out there, as a positive test Monday and the player could still play Sunday if two tests come back negative during the week

It’s also possible for a player to just miss one week of games if there is a true positive, which isn’t much different if a player has a bad case of the flu and needs to miss a week

This is a much better plan than commissioners exempt list for an undetermined  amount of time, and is consistent with the medical field recommendations

The NFL came out with their algorithm on of a player tests positive with or without symptoms 

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1279435914859683846?s=21

ETA: this was actually out much before the OP made his post

This helps take into account the false positive tests out there, as a positive test Monday and the player could still play Sunday if two tests come back negative during the week

It’s also possible for a player to just miss one week of games if there is a true positive, which isn’t much different if a player has a bad case of the flu and needs to miss a week

This is a much better plan than commissioners exempt list for an undetermined  amount of time, and is consistent with the medical field recommendations
Hmmm... interesting.  They'll have to clear this up soon.  A 3 week absence doesn't seem like a terrible idea, just to be safe, in order to keep this thing under control as best as possible. 

The main issue is going to be how much these players.... positive or not.... isolate during the season.  I wish there was some way you could  ban them from being at restaurants, or seeing friends or family... but this would never fly.  I just hope the players take above and beyond precautions to not get infected, but I feel like that may be doubtful.

Withholding some of their pay if they're on the covid exempt list would be awesome and a motivating factor, but don't think that would fly either.

Hmmm... interesting.  They'll have to clear this up soon.  A 3 week absence doesn't seem like a terrible idea, just to be safe, in order to keep this thing under control as best as possible. 

The main issue is going to be how much these players.... positive or not.... isolate during the season.  I wish there was some way you could  ban them from being at restaurants, or seeing friends or family... but this would never fly.  I just hope the players take above and beyond precautions to not get infected, but I feel like that may be doubtful.
I’m not sure I have much concern about their interaction with the communities and friends/family. I think the teams will make expectations clear. You can’t ban anyone from going places but you can present other opportunities.

Automatic 3 weeks is absurd. 10 days from first symptoms and 72 hours after last symptoms seems to be the gold standard 

This could be a year for smaller city teams to find success. Less of a night life/less temptation to go out and mingle with the masses. also it seems like cities that have a large reliance on public transportation are hit worse with this. Again, smaller city teams could benefit 

Here are a few:

I mean for ####s sake dude. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked where your source was and you link a speculative article from FEBRUARY? An article that specifically cited medications as possibly being harsh on heart tissue resulting in a rougher second infection. No data, no test groups, not even a narrative on the virus itself. Treatments are vastly different since then and I doubt this has the even slightest affect on the NFL’s mindset. Your garbage posting on this topic has thankfully been rightfully called out by others. Thanks for the other links about herd immunity that I didn’t ask for. I also highly doubt that the NFL was banking on national herd immunity for their season.

He should be banned from all Covid threads. His misinformation is unreal. A February article lmao.
Misinformation. 

I posted links to news articles to substantiate what I’d posted about after reading them in news articles. 

That’s “misinformation” and I should be banned for it?

ooooookay. its just the land of the upside-down in here. One more for the “ignored users” list. 

Misinformation. 

I posted links to news articles to substantiate what I’d posted about after reading them in news articles. 

That’s “misinformation” and I should be banned for it?

ooooookay. its just the land of the upside-down in here. One more for the “ignored users” list. 
An article based on treatments from February. Keep growing that ignore list, I’m sure it’s not you it’s everyone else who is wrong.

I asked nicely. Next time you guys take a thread way out of NFL area, people are going to be suspended.

We have two entire forums that are mostly this non NFL discussion. Take it there. 

This one is done here - good job. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread