What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Do any of you have something/someone that hasn't been drafted yet that surprises you?  Obviously we can't discuss but me and new best iBuddy Hags were just chatting and there's one movie that I'm kind of shocked that is still on the board. 

Do any of you have something/someone that hasn't been drafted yet that surprises you?  Obviously we can't discuss but me and new best iBuddy Hags were just chatting and there's one movie that I'm kind of shocked that is still on the board. 
There are things we talked about 5 rounds ago but are still on the board.  I think this is so subjective and varied that the options are almost infinite at this point.  So many good choices still....

Not shocked but there’s some all time great movies and people available: Like Gally said, there’s so many options and strategies. 

There are things we talked about 5 rounds ago but are still on the board.  I think this is so subjective and varied that the options are almost infinite at this point.  So many good choices still....
Yeah, my picks will skew toward newer stuff. My dad worked at the American Film Institute and my wife is in movie marketing so you would think I'd be into a broader catalog of films, but I just like what I like.

Not shocked but there’s some all time great movies and people available: Like Gally said, there’s so many options and strategies. 
Agree, there's just one in particular for me that I'm just surprised on - I'm not even that high on the movie but figured it would be gone by now.  Earlier on I was shocked how long Raging Bull and Vertigo hung around.

Yeah, my picks will skew toward newer stuff. My dad worked at the American Film Institute and my wife is in movie marketing so you would think I'd be into a broader catalog of films, but I just like what I like.
What did your dad do for AFI? 

What did your dad do for AFI? 
Finance department. I got to visit the school in the summer time and watch whatever I liked from their library. Every Tuesday and Thursday their directors screen room was open for newish movies (3-4 weeks after theatrical release). Went to a lot of premiers and festivals as a kid. Now my wife spoils me with access to a massive digital library. 

... and [Fast Times] is what I think might score a little better than the others drafted for the category so far.  
Three heavyweights in the category so far, so it's hard to be sure. But IMHO, one of the other films might not be in its strongest category.

i have one.  hope it/he/she falls a few more picks.

Thanks...….to Wikipedia.....hahhaha
Oh, LOL!  I was really impressed!   😁😆🙂   Funny that the wikians let that ambiguity about the notes stand though.  As anyone with relative or perfect pitch should be able to confirm, that's E and F, not F and F# or whatever the other claim was.  

In any case - great pick.  Love reading picks with detail and inspiration.  

8.12 - Samuel L. Jackson - Supporting Actor

Based on box office, he's the highest grossing actor ever. And he's hardly a leading man. But how many support roles do you remember? Eight thousand? 

Sadly, he has no oscars. He really should have had one for Pulp, he was fantastic in QT's others, but he generally doesn't choose roles or movies that lend themselves to acting awards. But he's fantastic in everything he's in. Jules, with his scripture quote and BMF wallet, is on my team - awesome! 

@higgins

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to KP for the assist.

Double Indemnity has it all.  The triangle of three great actors, the suspense of will they/won't they get caught or do it, the slow roll of plot.  And all served up in black and white glory.  Color would do nothing for that story.  No wonder it's so good-  the screenplay was co-written by Raymond Chandler.  The gold standard of noir.

Judgment at Nuremberg tops the courtroom drama category in part because it doesn't play up movie-type histrionics.  It's the real deal and led by a superb actor who shows the thoughtfulness of the actual judge involved.  Many movies of this type are static, but this one uses emotional development in subtle ways to move the story and the audience.

I can't even really talk about it without ridiculous amounts of spotlighting.

Yep.

If I had a nickel for every pick in the Sports Draft that was supposed to last "a couple more rounds"...
I actually found that draft to go a little more as expected but maybe that's because I have a better knowledge foundation for that topic.  Here it just seems all over the place but I don't have a good feel for what should be going and what shouldn't.  It's so subjective. 

6.15 - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Comedy (we guess)

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!

What's funny about that? Jesus, I mean, you guys do nothin' but complain about how you can't stand it in this place here and then you haven't got the guts just to walk out!

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1970s Film

@timschochet

Dr. Octopus said:
Round 7 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Musical

Musicals is not a deep category for me so I'll grab one I love. It also gives me some flexibility for later. 

The Candy Man Can

Pure Imagination

Oompa Loompa

All three of these are in my Absolute Top Tier. 👍

Is the teen/high school category just for movies about teen/ high school or is it movies that would be most popular amongst teens/high schoolers?   Someone mentioned Grease which was based on high schoolers (who weren't high school aged...hahha) and it got me thinking about what this category really meant because I wouldn't have thought that to be a teen/high school movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the teen/high school category just for movies about teen/ high school or is it movies that would be most popular amongst teens/high schoolers?   Someone mentioned Grease which was based on high schoolers (who weren't high school aged...hahha) and it got me thinking about what this category really meant. 
I took it to mean movies based on high school/ teenagers lives 

There's a couple on my list that are like that, but I have in more of broad category like "best of 40s" where people might be filling other categories that might have more of a clear top 3-4 movies.  I think those best of decade, animated, teen, comedy, and several others are pretty subjective and wide open.   

OR I have a couple movies I love, but maybe not enough to put in a "best of decade" category,  but it might be a stretch to find another category for them so I have them on the side of my sheet and more in limbo.  

8.12 - Samuel L. Jackson - Supporting Actor

Based on box office, he's the highest grossing actor ever. And he's hardly a leading man. But how many support roles do you remember? Eight thousand? 

Sadly, he has no oscars. He really should have had one for Pulp, he was fantastic in QT's others, but he generally doesn't choose roles or movies that lend themselves to acting awards. But he's fantastic in everything he's in. Jules, with his scripture quote and BMF wallet, is on my team - awesome! 

@higgins
That was a hell of a pick, I think I erased him from my memory because of how schticky he became later in his career. 

You and I are thinking alike.  I have a couple of actors in mind that to me epitomizes the category (for me) but I’m thinking they will not rank well.
Don't want it to be a "sequel" quibble, but I look at guys like Jackson as more of a background character guy, but not a great #2/#3 actor, which is what I take "supporting actor" to be.  

Cate Blanchett- Best Actress 

I may be biased because I’m currently watching Mrs America, which won’t be eligible for consideration here because it’s a tv show. But she’s done enough on film to display her amazing skills 
Great pick and amazed that she went this late.

Users who are viewing this thread