Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DHS intends to broaden use of CBP, ICE agents to arrest protesters nationwide

Felt like this deserves its own thread, given the extraordinary nature of what's happening.

Article from John Marshall explaining how DHS is justifying the use of CBP & ICE teams detaining US citizens by grabbing them off the street into unmarked vans and disappearing them.

NPR Interview w/ Cuccinelli

CUCCINELLI: Well, we are - we welcome - the more investigations, the better. With as much lawbreaking is going on, we're seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction. That's not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses. But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we're responsible for around the country.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Right: I need a stockpile of firearms to protect myself and my rights from a tyrannical government!   Also the Right: Secret militarized police are abducting people off the streets of Po

Defund the DHS and really just eliminate it. There were liberals, progressives and conservatives alike who feared this is what it could be used for and here we are. Get rid of it.

No, you can't.

The Right: I need a stockpile of firearms to protect myself and my rights from a tyrannical government!

Also the Right: Secret militarized police are abducting people off the streets of Portland?  Well it’s about time!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

The Right: I need a stockpile of firearms to protect myself and my rights from a tyrannical government!

Also the Right: Secret militarized police are abducting people off the streets of Portland?  Well it’s about time!

It makes a lot more sense if you include the phrase “white people”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it turns out that, legally speaking, this is kosher (or at least if a bunch of right-wing judges declare it to be). But morally speaking, it’s an abomination

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1
20 minutes ago, joffer said:

what are they arresting people for?

don't know for sure, but it sounds like probably vandalism or some crimes against federal properties or suspicion there of is the federal justification.

and then there is violence against and injury to, federal agents, which couldn't happen if they weren't there.

and they are not wanted there. the mayor, governor have demanded they leave.

it's also reported some are never told why they are arrested, just taken away questioned and released.

also reported the OR attorney general is investigating criminal charges against fed agents who shot a protester with his hands up in the head with nonlethal munitions causing critical injury.

it's going to get worse.  read yesterday that trump was touting a federal crackdown in liberal cities and said "we're not supposed to, they are supposed to call 1st, but they don't call".

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

thank you.  this should be huge, huge, news.  and as the thread title says, this is just a preview.

• Love 1

As Marshall explains in the blog post linked above, the legal pretext appears to be that the Federal Protection Service, which is under DHS, is charged with protecting Federal buildings. They’re trying to gin up some sort of crisis (a list that the DHS Secretary released consisted entirely, I #### you not, of instances of Federal buildings being graffitied) and then deputizing other DHS agencies like CPB and ICE to help out. 

As for the people being detained, there doesn’t seem to be much pretext, and in fact some people have reported that as soon as they invoked their rights they were let go, which makes it sound like pure intimidation tactics

figured these were the same guys from the Bureau of Prisons, maybe these guys are new.  Space Force is up next

sad and amazing that 23 hrs. in this thread is still on page 1.

and it's not because the topic is getting any play at all in The trump Years thread. it's not.

oh well, the lawless, violent, armed, outside agitators are federal agents.  but that's ok.

GRAFFITI !!!!!!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, song said:

and it's not because the topic is getting any play at all in The trump Years thread. it's not.

oh well, the lawless, violent, armed, outside agitators are federal agents.  but that's ok.

GRAFFITI !!!!!!

I mean, what is there to say? This is clearly awful and none of the Trump supporters/apologists will defend it.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, song said:

GRAFFITI !!!!!!

Outrage fatigue. When I heard about what they are doing, my first thought was "Of course they are." Short of Kent Stating everybody, nothing these goons do surprises me. And part of me is like "Hey, keep doing it." This is going to be a huge failure on their part and the more they turn people against them, the bigger the ### kicking is going to be in November. And it needs to be a massive ### kicking in November all the way down the ballot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

I mean, what is there to say? This is clearly awful and none of the Trump supporters/apologists will defend it.

Wait... because people won't respond to what YOU feel is important, that's your go to reason?  :lol:

Why don't you just call them all racists for no reason too.  Oh, wait, you already do.  nm.

• Love 2
  • Laughing 1
18 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

15 minutes ago, honky kong said:

Outrage fatigue. When I heard about what they are doing, my first thought was "Of course they are." Short of Kent Stating everybody, nothing these goons do surprises me. And part of me is like "Hey, keep doing it." This is going to be a huge failure on their part and the more they turn people against them, the bigger the ### kicking is going to be in November. And it needs to be a massive ### kicking in November all the way down the ballot.

yeah, i get what is there to say and outrage fatigue.  was concerned this was somehow not even being noticed and to me it's maybe top 20 or 30 of outrageous awfulness.

4 hours ago, zoonation said:

This is right out of the fascist playbook.  Bananas.  

Actually, it's right out of the commie handbook as well.  

This ain't exclusive to one ideology on the left or the right.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 1
29 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Actually, it's right out of the commie handbook as well.  

This ain't exclusive to one ideology on the left or the right.

Sure.  Glad to see you acknowledging that the federal response to the protests is fascist. 

20 hours ago, Slapdash said:
21 hours ago, song said:

GRAFFITI !!!!!!

The "best" you'll get out of this is a "boff sidez!!!!!!!!" type of argument using hacked up new definitions of words.  There really IS no legit argument for this action...none.

ETA:  Should have scrolled a couple posts before posting this :lmao: 

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 2
On 7/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, song said:

don't know for sure, but it sounds like probably vandalism or some crimes against federal properties or suspicion there of is the federal justification.

and then there is violence against and injury to, federal agents, which couldn't happen if they weren't there.

and they are not wanted there. the mayor, governor have demanded they leave.

it's also reported some are never told why they are arrested, just taken away questioned and released.

also reported the OR attorney general is investigating criminal charges against fed agents who shot a protester with his hands up in the head with nonlethal munitions causing critical injury.

it's going to get worse.  read yesterday that trump was touting a federal crackdown in liberal cities and said "we're not supposed to, they are supposed to call 1st, but they don't call".

Portland mom's made the exterior of the protest last night just standing there and they got gassed and fire-banged.

https://twitter.com/UnderAGraySky/status/1285146051230367744

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
57 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

That’s the tip of the iceberg.  City councilwoman was gassed last night. Protesters riding their bikes tackled on the street, local journalists arrested constantly...

I haven’t protested for a while due to some injuries and not having insurance, but I think I’m going to head back down this week since there is a good second wave happening.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Boy that's gonna get the right wingers and nationalists all fired up but I don't see how it wins the hearts and minds of suburban soccer moms. 

I’m sure all the Don’t Tread on Me folks who were storming the capital in Michigan will be coming over to protest this.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
6 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

A bunch of my friends who live in Philly said the rioting and looting stopped weeks ago. All it has been recently are peaceful protests. Why is Trump calling for federal agents to go there?

Because Pennsylvania is a swing state in 2020?

• Like 1

JFC. Of all the worrisome, illegal, treasonous,  moronic bull#### that has gone on the last 4 years, this is the worst. We aren't just on the road to fascism, we're in the HOV lane with the speedometer pegged and the driver just smoked 3 joints, snorted 2 giant lines and chugged a fifth of Everclear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Herb said:

JFC. Of all the worrisome, illegal, treasonous,  moronic bull#### that has gone on the last 4 years, this is the worst. We aren't just on the road to fascism, we're in the HOV lane with the speedometer pegged and the driver just smoked 3 joints, snorted 2 giant lines and chugged a fifth of Everclear.

I’m calling it right now: The 2020 extended metaphor contest is over. Sorry, other competitors, but you’re not topping this

• Thanks 1

Looks like Donnie and Barr got their Gestapo/SS force going now. I'm sure that's getting him votes arresting Portland soccer moms

Im sure all the well regulated militia's are ready to end this tyranny. I mean federal forces operating in our cities?

Edited by bicycle_seat_sniffer
48 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Im sure all the well regulated militia's are ready to end this tyranny. I mean federal forces operating in our cities?

Is this where I get to make the observation that a lot of these guys are, in actuality, unimaginitive, insecure cowards capable of little more than big talk and weapon acquisition? Their conviction in standing up to federal agents begins and ends in their testosterone- and gunpowder- fueled fantasies.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Looks like Donnie and Barr got their Gestapo/SS force going now. I'm sure that's getting him votes arresting Portland soccer moms

Just in time for the election, a convenient time to have troops in every major city.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
10 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Just in time for the election, a convenient time to have troops in every major city.

Wait till 50,000 "poll watchers" descend on the nation's urban areas on election day. Republicans are going to pull out all the stops in November in an effort to intimidate vulnerable voters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
1 minute ago, boots11234 said:

Isn’t it the Federal Governments job to protect federal property?  

Yes. That is the legal pretext the Administration is invoking. But the notion that you need to deputize other departments as reinforcements to stop graffiti is ridiculous, and suggests that Trump is provoking confrontation because he thinks it will help him politically (although I think he’s wrong about that)

24 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

Yea...that’s not what they are doing.

31 minutes ago, boots11234 said:

How far away from federal property should unidentified federal troops be allowed to go in defense of that property?

10 feet? 100 feet? How about a warrantless house-to-house search of surrounding neighborhoods? It's OK as long as it's in the name of "protecting federal property," right?

• Like 1
  • Love 1