What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DHS intends to broaden use of CBP, ICE agents to arrest protesters nationwide (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. That is the legal pretext the Administration is invoking. But the notion that you need to deputize other departments as reinforcements to stop graffiti is ridiculous, and suggests that Trump is provoking confrontation because he thinks it will help him politically (although I think he’s wrong about that)
You may think it’s ridiculous but it certainly is legal and has happened before. 

You may think it’s ridiculous but it certainly is legal and has happened before. 
Yes, that’s why I said in my very first post on this thread that it may well be legal. But given that this is pretty obviously Trump trying to provoke a confrontation for his own (perceived) political benefit, the legality doesn’t make it any less disgusting

Yes, that’s why I said in my very first post on this thread that it may well be legal. But given that this is pretty obviously Trump trying to provoke a confrontation for his own (perceived) political benefit, the legality doesn’t make it any less disgusting
This is really simple to determine, are there federal buildings there?  If yes, are they protecting them?  Seems the answer is yes to both. Now is it political?  I don’t know. My concern is for the law and buildings being protected. Seems that is being done so I don’t have a problem with this. 

This is really simple to determine, are there federal buildings there?  If yes, are they protecting them?  Seems the answer is yes to both. Now is it political?  I don’t know. My concern is for the law and buildings being protected. Seems that is being done so I don’t have a problem with this. 
And what about the surveillance aspect?

- We're talking about people who claim to be angry that Mike Flynn, a public official who was being paid by a foreign government, had to sit for an FBI interview, but the DHS - Customs and Border Patrol among other agencies - can conduct surveillance on private US citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the imminent threat to the buildings? Or are you saying they should always be protected by Federal "troops" just in case?

• Smile
Reactions: rct
Quick question: If DHS is just protecting federal buildings and statues, why are they throwing people into vans and refusing to identify themselves?

If this is all on the up and up, why the gestapo tactics?

Does anyone look back at the 60’s and think: “The police were the good guys here.”?

History is not going to look kindly on this type of police state. 

Does anyone look back at the 60’s and think: “The police were the good guys here.”?

History is not going to look kindly on this type of police state. 
We saw in the CHOP/CHAZ zones how the left would run things if they get power.   You think THIS is a police state?  Just wait until you've got roving bands of mobs dispensing justice/revenge like those zones.

This ain't no police state, no matter how much hyperbole and drama you want to pump it up with.  The Feds have every right to be there - it's lawlessness with "peaceful protesters" looting, murdering, assaulting people and burning things down.

And from some reports I'm seeing, it's the police who may have requested their help.

I know you guys can't be that willfully ignorant, can you?  Are you really telling me there's been no violence, looting, burning, assault and murder at all?

Try this for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50FuhuS3J0Q
Again, they only choose to see what they want to see. I guess they call that a peaceful break in of a building. Act like a criminal and get treated like a criminal. I have no remorse for these idiots. They must have all taken vacation days from their jobs, lol.

I know you guys can't be that willfully ignorant, can you?  Are you really telling me there's been no violence, looting, burning, assault and murder at all?
There is violence in every red state. Perhaps when Biden is elected, he can send in federal troops to take their guns away.

Try this for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50FuhuS3J0Q

There is violence in every red state. Perhaps when Biden is elected, he can send in federal troops to take their guns away.
He was just referencing hoodlums breaking and entering and committing arson and other crimes, under the disguise of protesting. Yes there is violence everywhere but hey, keep defending these fine upstanding citizens. Geez

He was just referencing hoodlums breaking and entering and committing arson and other crimes, under the disguise of protesting. Yes there is violence everywhere but hey, keep defending these fine upstanding citizens. Geez
I didn't defend anyone. Can you make your case without putting words into someone's mouth?

I didn't defend anyone. Can you make your case without putting words into someone's mouth?
So would you prefer the authorities give these hooligans a stern talking to and a timeout? I'm sure that would work well.
I would prefer the Federal authorities respect the Constitution and allow peaceful protesters to exercise their First Amendment rights, and to allow local authorities to exercise jurisdiction over their city and state. If the local citizens disagree with how the city and state is run, then they can use their voting rights to bring in new leadership.

THAT IS HOW THE COUNTRY IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

I would prefer the Federal authorities respect the Constitution and allow peaceful protesters to exercise their First Amendment rights, and to allow local authorities to exercise jurisdiction over their city and state. If the local citizens disagree with how the city and state is run, then they can use their voting rights to bring in new leadership.

THAT IS HOW THE COUNTRY IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.
Couple of hilarious statements there, peaceful protesters & local authorities exercising jurisdiction.  Maybe, just maybe the sane citizens don't want to see the city turned into a burned down slum before they can bring in leadership with half a brain. Are you kidding me. 

Couple of hilarious statements there, peaceful protesters & local authorities exercising jurisdiction.  Maybe, just maybe the sane citizens don't want to see the city turned into a burned down slum before they can bring in leadership with half a brain. Are you kidding me. 
Half a brain, huh?

• Smile
Reactions: rct
Hey, fair enough. We'll let the President decide when, why, and where to deploy federal troops. I'm sure President Biden is looking forward to exercising that power.

Got a lot of unchecked hate crimes up in Michigan, or Alabama? Better send in the federal troops to start taking guns away. It's okay, though. The sane citizens approve.

Hey, fair enough. We'll let the President decide when, why, and where to deploy federal troops. I'm sure President Biden is looking forward to exercising that power.

Got a lot of unchecked hate crimes up in Michigan, or Alabama? Better send in the federal troops to start taking guns away. It's okay, though. The sane citizens approve.
No way dude, moms first.

All one needs is to look at some of the responses in this thread to get a pretty clear understanding of how fascist governments have happened throughout history. They never think they're doing anything wrong, or infringing anyone's rights (well, the rights of anyone who matters at least).

https://www.lawfareblog.com/dhs-authorizes-domestic-surveillance-protect-statues-and-monuments

DHS Authorizes Domestic Surveillance to Protect Statues and Monuments

To be sure, nothing in the memo authorizes the federal government to take any coercive action against protestors in Portland—or anywhere else, for that matter. But the animating premise of the memo is that the threat to monuments and statues is a homeland security threat warranting intelligence analysis and collection by federal officials. To us, that premise is in equal parts unpersuasive and alarming. It is unpersuasive because it should be obvious that vandalism and other damage to monuments, even federal monuments, does not threaten the security of the homeland to any greater extent than most property crimes. We are unaware of prior memoranda that treat offenses against property as the basis for a homeland security investigation—even when the property at issue is federal property.

The premise is alarming because it uses the cover of minor property damage, whether to federal property or otherwise, to justify intelligence gathering against ordinary Americans—most of whom have nothing to do with the underlying property damage, and many of whom are engaged in the most American of activities: peacefully protesting their government.

All one needs is to look at some of the responses in this thread to get a pretty clear understanding of how fascist governments have happened throughout history. They never think they're doing anything wrong, or infringing anyone's rights (well, the rights of anyone who matters at least).
I'm not so much surprised by their position but by the fervor in which they credulously defend it.

Rand Paul (R-KY): “We cannot give up liberty for security. Local law enforcement can and should be handling these situations in our cities but there is no place for federal troops or unidentified federal agents rounding people up at will."

Millions of Republicans: :coffee:

Do you even know how small of a section of the city this stuff is taking place in? If you came to town you’d be searching all day to find it.

And I have no problem with the few #######s who are actually breaking laws being arrested by the local authorities, I don’t think anyone does. But you are talking about less than 5% of the total people there protesting and exercising their first amendment rights.

It should be noted that Donald Trump's lover Vladimir worked with/for the East German Stasi (one of the most effective and repressive intelligence and secret police agencies ever to have existed link) so this is probably the one area the administration might be competent.

This is a five-alarm fire that's being portrayed as having two defensible partisan sides which it absolutely is not. People should screaming their heads off and it's unfathomable to me that public officials have deemed that by issuing strongly-worded press releases and sending tweets they've fulfilled their civic duty.

Usurpation is underway. Threats to democracy don't get much more severe before there's no turning back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread