What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What percentage of the US will get vaccinated? (1 Viewer)

What percentage of people in the US will choose to get the vaccine?

• 10%

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 20%

• 30%

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • 50%

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • 70%

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • 90%

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • 100%

• Total voters

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
If/when a Covid vaccine is finally made what percentage of people in the USA do you think will decide to get vaccinated?

For the purposes of this pole assume that the vaccine is free and that there are no major side effects.

Politicians and scientists are going to have their work cut for them to get people to believe it is safe.  I’m not sure how well they will do.
exactly.  vaccines take time.  if there’s a perception they rushed it, it could be bad.

Numbers are all over the place, but it looks like somewhere between 4 and 50% of Americans get the flu shot. I voted 80% in this poll. 

exactly.  vaccines take time.  if there’s a perception they rushed it, it could be bad.
I believe in in vaccines, and get the flu shot every year.

But with the speed of this one if it's early 2021, I could certainly see anti-vaxxers holding out. 

I'll take it because I'm pretty trusting in this sort of thing, but we've screwed up every step of this, so a completely rushed vaccine coming to market far faster than any vaccine in history having problems does not seem far fetched. 

I think that, unfortunately, a lot will depend on who is president when it becomes available.  How exactly that will play out I’m not sure. 

Personally, I am as anti-vax as they come, but I might not be rushing out to get it the first day it’s available. I’ll be relying on the opinions of people I trust, both nationally (Fauci et al) as well as personally (particularly my father in law, who is a doctor and will probably be the person who actually procures any vaccine I end up getting)

I said 70% though it will be interesting.  Fundamentally Americans seem to be more and more afraid of their own shadows.  There is genuine terror over this virus in many places, this board being one in many instances.  So it will be interesting to see what wins out.  The fear over the virus or the fear over the vaccine.  Gonna be wild.  

I'm not anti-vax by any stretch, but I'll have a difficult time believing this one wasn't rushed, given what we've seen so far.  The financial reward to whoever is first to market is just so massive that it negates any incentives to be properly cautious, especially if the government immunizes the company from any lawsuits.

I am likely to wait quite a while before getting it myself or for my children.

So I'm not quite sure how to answer the original poll.  What percentage will get it when it first comes out, or get it eventually (say, within 6-12 months)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted 70%. Unfortunately that's not enough as it's likely the vaccine won't be 100% effective and we need that total to be 70 or so to convey herd immunity.

Sadly there is a percentage of the population that are completely off the rails on vaccines.  What I think of anti-vaxxers would get me the boot from here for a while if properly expressed.  Not getting one is, at the least, a pointed disregard for your fellow man.

I voted 70%. Unfortunately that's not enough as it's likely the vaccine won't be 100% effective and we need that total to be 70 or so to convey herd immunity.

Sadly there is a percentage of the population that are completely off the rails on vaccines.  What I think of anti-vaxxers would get me the boot from here for a while if properly expressed.  Not getting one is, at the least, a pointed disregard for your fellow man.
This is so wrong on so many levels

timschochet said:
It is? Care to explain your thinking here? 
Sure.  I've witnessed first hand a vaccine destroying a body (both an adult and a child) for years.  No one should suffer through that because of some dramatic "disregard for your fellow man" nonsense.   For any doctor that you can find that blindly supports all vaccines I can find doctors that are against them too so spare me that line.  We've done that here over the years already.

You guys can rant on and on about "anti-vaxxers" and whatever other cute phrase you want to come up with that is completely ineffective in changing anyone's opinion on the subject.   But regardless of how you feel the damn government shouldn't be forcing anyone to inject anything into their body.  Period.

Sure.  I've witnessed first hand a vaccine destroying a body (both an adult and a child) for years.  No one should suffer through that because of some dramatic "disregard for your fellow man" nonsense.   For any doctor that you can find that blindly supports all vaccines I can find doctors that are against them too so spare me that line.  We've done that here over the years already.

You guys can rant on and on about "anti-vaxxers" and whatever other cute phrase you want to come up with that is completely ineffective in changing anyone's opinion on the subject.   But regardless of how you feel the damn government shouldn't be forcing anyone to inject anything into their body.  Period.
What vaccine did you witness destroying a body? And which current vaccines are you against? 

Does anyone know what % of people we need to get the vaccine in order to essentially beat the virus or if 25% of the population refuses, are we just going to have to be the only country on Earth that forever has to deal with COVID?

Does anyone know what % of people we need to get the vaccine in order to essentially beat the virus or if 25% of the population refuses, are we just going to have to be the only country on Earth that forever has to deal with COVID?
It's different for every infection but typically you are looking at greater than 80% to be truly beneficial...

I've never taken the flu shot and there is no way I'm taking a rushed vaccine for this.  And just to get out front of it, I'm not anti-masker...

Initially?  Around 35%  An overwhelming percentage of the people not getting it  will be people who think it's overblown anyway...so the need to get a vaccine won't be important to them.  Add to that the number of anti-vaxxers and the people, who normally would get one.....but are going to hold out over concerns over the speed at which the thing was produced.  

No one knows yet.  We don't know yet if you can be infected more than once.  We don't know yet how often people will need to get a vaccine (e.g. once a year, once every five years, once ever).

No one knows yet.  We don't know yet if you can be infected more than once.  We don't know yet how often people will need to get a vaccine (e.g. once a year, once every five years, once ever).
 I just meant vaccines in general. I know we don't know specifically about COVID or a COVID vaccine. 

You're right, you should have the right not to take it.  But, like the first amendment (the right to free speech isn't the right to no consequences) I hope you understand what position you're likely placing yourself in.  Public transport (planes, trains, ships) will be forever closed to you.  You will likely be unemployable as most places will require a vax.  No concerts or sporting events for you.  The list goes on.  Those who end up not getting this vaccine will end up in an official pariah caste in first world countries.

You're right, you should have the right not to take it.  But, like the first amendment (the right to free speech isn't the right to no consequences) I hope you understand what position you're likely placing yourself in.  Public transport (planes, trains, ships) will be forever closed to you.  You will likely be unemployable as most places will require a vax.  No concerts or sporting events for you.  The list goes on.  Those who end up not getting this vaccine will end up in an official pariah caste in first world countries.
If everyone else is vaccinated, why would they be concerned about being around someone who is infected?

I assume you mean when it’s first offered and not ever, right?  I’d assume down the road the number would be similar to a little higher than the flu vaccine (assuming there’s no issues).  When it’s first available?  I’m not really sure but I will guess 30%.

If/when a Covid vaccine is finally made what percentage of people in the USA do you think will decide to get vaccinated?

For the purposes of this pole assume that the vaccine is free and that there are no major side effects.
Big assumption there

If everyone else is vaccinated, why would they be concerned about being around someone who is infected?
Tragedy of the commons prime example.  If 1% decline, that's fine.  If 15% decline that's a pretty big problem as with a less than 100% effective vaccine that puts the whole under the threshold.  

Vaccines aren't just to protect the individual, but to protect those that truly can't get one.  Childhood vaccines protect not just children, but also just as importantly, infants who aren't old enough to get them.  In this case vaccines will also serve to protect the immuno-suppressed and elderly/frail for whom a vaccine may be contraindicated.

I’m surprised at the voting - I will say I hadn’t consider the possibility of a worker mandate but ignoring that I still am surprised at the numbers.  I’m anti-anti-vax but the conversation there isn’t typically around new vaccines.  I won’t be jumping in line to get it, that’s for sure.  I will say the interview I linked from the guy at Oxford yesterday makes me feel good about one - he essentially said, the expediting of this vaccine is being sped up much more so by reducing red tape than by the incorrect assumption that they are skipping safety checks.  Even having said that I still have concerns but guarantee if I’m alive I’ll be getting one eventually.

Lol.  Never been required to show proof for a job or to use public places before.  Great guess I don’t have to pay taxes if you think you have the right to revoke my use of public places.  Geez some of you guys would love China!

Lol.  Never been required to show proof for a job or to use public places before.  Great guess I don’t have to pay taxes if you think you have the right to revoke my use of public places.  Geez some of you guys would love China!
Just because such a thing hasn't happened before is not a guarantee that it won't happen in the future.  Consider, say, Metro North or Long Island Rail Road, which are private commuter train lines in the NYC area.  They could certainly implement such policies around COVID vaccines.  Will they?  Got me, but I can certainly see something like that happening.  We already have mandatory vaccines for schools in certain places.

Just because such a thing hasn't happened before is not a guarantee that it won't happen in the future.  Consider, say, Metro North or Long Island Rail Road, which are private commuter train lines in the NYC area.  They could certainly implement such policies around COVID vaccines.  Will they?  Got me, but I can certainly see something like that happening.  We already have mandatory vaccines for schools in certain places.
Awful

Awful
You may disagree that public schools should be allowed to enact such policies.  However, it is a fact that such policies exist.  Therefore, I don't think it's a stretch to argue that such policies relative to a COVID vaccine could also be enacted, both in public and private settings.  Do you disagree that it could happen?

Separately, regardless of how you feel about public schools and vaccine requirements, would you agree or disagree that private schools should be allowed to create such policies?

Actually, upon some reflection I think this problem will take care of itself over time. Some people will refuse to take it at first, and some of those people will get sick, and some of them will die. Those who take it won’t. After a few years I suspect most people will take it. The ones who are the most strident against now will say, “yes I’m taking it but I chose to do so, nobody forced me and that was my real objection all along”, and that’s fine. It’ll all work out. Unfortunately there might be some sadness along the way which was unnecessary but that’s the price of a generally free society. 

This pandemic has fundamentally changed some things.  I didn't say I approved of such measures, but I anticipate them being put into place.  There will be a lot of public discourse on that subject, but initially I expect some pretty stringent requirements as the populace will demand safety.

You may disagree that public schools should be allowed to enact such policies.  However, it is a fact that such policies exist.  Therefore, I don't think it's a stretch to argue that such policies relative to a COVID vaccine could also be enacted, both in public and private settings.  Do you disagree that it could happen?

Separately, regardless of how you feel about public schools and vaccine requirements, would you agree or disagree that private schools should be allowed to create such policies?
I don't think the government should force anyone to take a drug. 

It amazes me how many people blindly take these things too. 

Actually, upon some reflection I think this problem will take care of itself over time. Some people will refuse to take it at first, and some of those people will get sick, and some of them will die. 
Some of those will also infect and kill our most vulnerable immuno-suppressed and elderly populations, as well.

This pandemic has fundamentally changed some things.  I didn't say I approved of such measures, but I anticipate them being put into place.  There will be a lot of public discourse on that subject, but initially I expect some pretty stringent requirements as the populace will demand safety.
If the vaccine causes harm to people then how the hell is it promoting safety?   No schtick here I'll take my chances with Covid over side effects of a vaccine, especially one that was rushed to market.  If you want the vaccine when it's available have at it. 

Users who are viewing this thread