What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What percentage of the US will get vaccinated? (1 Viewer)

What percentage of people in the US will choose to get the vaccine?

• 10%

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 20%

• 30%

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • 50%

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • 70%

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • 90%

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • 100%

• Total voters
If the vaccine causes harm to people then how the hell is it promoting safety?   No schtick here I'll take my chances with Covid over side effects of a vaccine, especially one that was rushed to market.  If you want the vaccine when it's available have at it. 
Right now it looks like the Moderna vaccine is causing some side effects (chills, body aches, etc.) and the Oxford vaccine appears to be pretty good.

This is obviously something that the studies will be finding out and they are at least as important as the efficacy.  The first thing the FDA wants to see is the safety profile.

Right now it looks like the Moderna vaccine is causing some side effects (chills, body aches, etc.) and the Oxford vaccine appears to be pretty good.

This is obviously something that the studies will be finding out and they are at least as important as the efficacy.  The first thing the FDA wants to see is the safety profile.
What are the long term effects?

You may disagree that public schools should be allowed to enact such policies.  However, it is a fact that such policies exist.  Therefore, I don't think it's a stretch to argue that such policies relative to a COVID vaccine could also be enacted, both in public and private settings.  Do you disagree that it could happen?

Separately, regardless of how you feel about public schools and vaccine requirements, would you agree or disagree that private schools should be allowed to create such policies?
I don't think the government should force anyone to take a drug. 

It amazes me how many people blindly take these things too.
I already knew your opinion on that.  You didn't answer either of the two questions I posed.

1. Whether you agree with it or not, government has enacted policies in the past requiring vaccines.  Do you disagree that it could happen again for COVID?

2. Do you agree that private schools should be allowed to create vaccine requirements?

I already knew your opinion on that.  You didn't answer either of the two questions I posed.

1. Whether you agree with it or not, government has enacted policies in the past requiring vaccines.  Do you disagree that it could happen again for COVID?

2. Do you agree that private schools should be allowed to create vaccine requirements?
I don't think anyone should be allowed to mandate vaccines.  Sure, the government can and I hope the population riots DC if they attempt to do that.   My body my choice, right libs?

Some of those will also infect and kill our most vulnerable immuno-suppressed and elderly populations, as well.
I’m hoping the vaccine will be effective for most of them as well. If it isn’t we’re going to need a new vaccine.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to mandate vaccines.  Sure, the government can and I hope the population riots DC if they attempt to do that.   My body my choice, right libs?
Ultimately yes. But it’s permissible to restrict what you can and cannot do if you don’t take it. 
Do you believe in laws that prohibit smoking in restaurants? 

I get the "government shouldn't mandate" part, but again, that doesn't answer either of the two questions above, neither of which were regarding whether government should be allowed to mandate vaccines.

To say "no one should be allowed to mandate vaccines" seems like an odd take to me, and an odd place to draw the line.  I'm trying to compare the bolded stance to, for example, the following examples:

• Today, to get in most buildings in NYC, I have to provide a picture ID.  Private organizations are requiring that.  Is that OK?
  • Today, to travel to certain countries, I have to get certain vaccines.  Foreign governments are requiring that.  Is that OK?
  • Today, to enter most stores, I have to wear pants, a shirt, and shoes.  Private organizations are requiring that.  Is that OK?
  • Today, to enter most stores, I have to agree not to bring my dog in the store.  Private organizations are requiring that.  Is that OK?
  • As timschochet notes above, today, to enter most private buildings, I have to agree not to smoke inside.  Government is requiring that.  Is that OK?
  • As of recent events, many stores are requiring that I wear a facemask.  Is that OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m hoping the vaccine will be effective for most of them as well. If it isn’t we’re going to need a new vaccine.
If someone is in the middle of chemo treatments then adding a vaccine may not be smart.  Herd immunity is wonderful for this small (yet very important) population.

Some of those will also infect and kill our most vulnerable immuno-suppressed and elderly populations, as well.
It's all 'freedom' to those that won't take it and tears for the parents of the immuno compromised kid that dies from it.  But that's america in a nutshell.  30% of the population thinks 'who gives a crap'

Numbers are all over the place, but it looks like somewhere between 4 and 50% of Americans get the flu shot. I voted 80% in this poll. 
Typically around 40% of adults per the CDC, and 10-20% higher for kids.

Given the politics, misinformation and fear related to side effects from a rushed vaccine, we’ll be lucky to get anywhere close to those numbers for covid vaccination.

I think that, unfortunately, a lot will depend on who is president when it becomes available.  How exactly that will play out I’m not sure. 

Personally, I am as anti-vax as they come, but I might not be rushing out to get it the first day it’s available. I’ll be relying on the opinions of people I trust, both nationally (Fauci et al) as well as personally (particularly my father in law, who is a doctor and will probably be the person who actually procures any vaccine I end up getting)
Can you elaborate a bit?

I voted 70%. Unfortunately that's not enough as it's likely the vaccine won't be 100% effective and we need that total to be 70 or so to convey herd immunity.

Sadly there is a percentage of the population that are completely off the rails on vaccines.  What I think of anti-vaxxers would get me the boot from here for a while if properly expressed.  Not getting one is, at the least, a pointed disregard for your fellow man.
Any amount adds to natural immunity (hopefully) from those already infected, inching us closer to the herd immunity threshold.

Does anyone know what % of people we need to get the vaccine in order to essentially beat the virus or if 25% of the population refuses, are we just going to have to be the only country on Earth that forever has to deal with COVID?
1 - (1/Ro) is the herd immunity threshold for a new infection.

By the time one is widely available to the general public (first HCWs, then nursing homes, elderly, etc., plus the Moderna version requires two doses separated by 28 days -- so it'll be awhile) we'll be fighting each other to get access to them.

My guess is that next May/June is when it's available to "us" and that any major side effects will likely be known then.  I plan on being first in line if I can.

By the time one is widely available to the general public (first HCWs, then nursing homes, elderly, etc., plus the Moderna version requires two doses separated by 28 days -- so it'll be awhile) we'll be fighting each other to get access to them.

My guess is that next May/June is when it's available to "us" and that any major side effects will likely be known then.  I plan on being first in line if I can.
Good point. Also, our likely incompetence at procurement should help save us from at least some of the dangers of incompetently rushing out a vaccine. (Kidding, but only partly)

I wonder if large companies will pay to get the vaccine relatively early. So a lot of us will be vaccinated through work.

This pandemic has fundamentally changed some things.  I didn't say I approved of such measures, but I anticipate them being put into place.  There will be a lot of public discourse on that subject, but initially I expect some pretty stringent requirements as the populace will demand safety.
If the vaccine causes harm to people then how the hell is it promoting safety?
For the same reason that seat belts promote safety even though they sometimes cause deaths.

For the same reason that seat belts promote safety even though they sometimes cause deaths.
This is up there with banning cars because of drunk drivers. Good work
Uh, no. You're making the same faulty argument that anti-vaxxers make.

Anti-vaxxers fear the small likelihood of a bad outcome ("causes harm to people") without being able to comprehend the massive benefit from widespread usage ("promoting safety").

To put it another way: Some vaccines do cause harm. But the risk is worth it because they save many more lives (on orders of magnitude) than they harm.

It's the same thing with seat belts: sometimes, seatbelts cause harm; but the risk is worth it because they save many more lives.

Your drunk driving analogy completely fails this comparison.

The ironic thing is that your flawed drunk driving analogy is actually closer to your flawed vaccine analogy: we shouldn't fear vaccines, just like we shouldn't fear driving -- even though there are risks involved with both. The attempt to discredit my point actually ends up supporting it.

Anti-vaxxers fear the small likelihood of a bad outcome ("causes harm to people") without being able to comprehend the massive benefit from widespread usage ("promoting safety").

To put it another way: Some vaccines do cause harm. But the risk is worth it because they save many more lives (on orders of magnitude) than they harm.

It's the same thing with seat belts: sometimes, seatbelts cause harm; but the risk is worth it because they save many more lives.

The ironic thing is that your flawed drunk driving analogy is actually closer to your flawed vaccine analogy: we shouldn't fear vaccines, just like we shouldn't fear driving -- even though there are risks involved with both. The attempt to discredit my point actually ends up supporting it.
Ah when you guys attempt to discredit Stealthy's comparisons it's because you actually support it. Weird but thanks for verifying.   Your whataboutism is pretty far off.   I could quote similar stats and say we should open everything fully no masks because the overall percentage of people not affected by Covid largely outweighs those that are affected.  Screw those that are affected like you're saying screw those that are affected by vaccines, amirite?

Ah when you guys attempt to discredit Stealthy's comparisons it's because you actually support it. Weird but thanks for verifying.   Your whataboutism is pretty far off.   I could quote similar stats and say we should open everything fully no masks because the overall percentage of people not affected by Covid largely outweighs those that are affected.  Screw those that are affected like you're saying screw those that are affected by vaccines, amirite?
No. You're missing the conclusion entirely. Bringing Stealthycat's terrible analogies into the equation isn't helping things, though. :lol:

Seat belts save lives. But they also occasionally hurt people. Society does not say "Screw those people!"; it says, essentially, "Driving is a privilege, not a right; and if you want to experience that privilege, then you must also accept a certain amount of risk."

It's a similar deal with vaccines: they save lives, but they also occasionally hurt people. Society does not say "Screw those people!"; it says, essentially, "Participating in certain aspects of society is a privilege, not a right; and if you want to experience those privileges, then you must also accept a certain amount of risk."

I respect the right of people to opt-out of vaccines, but those same people should respect the rights of others not to be killed by their careless behavior.

And, again, your drunk driving analogy is not comparable in any way. I could quote the stats but I'm not going to.

No. You're missing the conclusion entirely. Bringing Stealthycat's terrible analogies into the equation isn't helping things, though. :lol:

Seat belts save lives. But they also occasionally hurt people. Society does not say "Screw those people!"; it says, essentially, "Driving is a privilege, not a right; and if you want to experience that privilege, then you must also accept a certain amount of risk."

It's a similar deal with vaccines: they save lives, but they also occasionally hurt people. Society does not say "Screw those people!"; it says, essentially, "Participating in certain aspects of society is a privilege, not a right; and if you want to experience those privileges, then you must also accept a certain amount of risk."

I respect the right of people to opt-out of vaccines, but those same people should respect the rights of others not to be killed by their careless behavior.

And, again, your drunk driving analogy is not comparable in any way. I could quote the stats but I'm not going to.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:   Get out of here with the trollish dramatic nonsense.   You can reply and have the last word I'm out of this discussion with you.

I'm probably going to mess up some of the data but listened to a good podcast on the potential vaccine on 'The Daily" a couple days ago. 

I was distracted and it is a complex subject but if I understood correctly a huge majority of a population need to take a vaccine for it to be effective. Something approaching 90%.

In polling they are doing what the interviewee was saying was that an extremely high number of people (crossing all levels of education, income, etc) are saying they will not get this or are very skeptical. Something like 50%. 

Lots of work to do even if they even get an effective vaccine.

I'm probably going to mess up some of the data but listened to a good podcast on the potential vaccine on 'The Daily" a couple days ago. 

I was distracted and it is a complex subject but if I understood correctly a huge majority of a population need to take a vaccine for it to be effective. Something approaching 90%.

In polling they are doing what the interviewee was saying was that an extremely high number of people (crossing all levels of education, income, etc) are saying they will not get this or are very skeptical. Something like 50%. 

Lots of work to do even if they even get an effective vaccine.
This may go back to what I wrote earlier and depend on the way the question was asked.  If you asked me, "Will you get a vaccine immediately as soon as it's available?", my answer would be no.  If you asked me, "Will you get a vaccine once you're satisfied it wasn't rushed to market and satisfied that it is safe?", my answer would be yes.

This may go back to what I wrote earlier and depend on the way the question was asked.  If you asked me, "Will you get a vaccine immediately as soon as it's available?", my answer would be no.  If you asked me, "Will you get a vaccine once you're satisfied it wasn't rushed to market and satisfied that it is safe?", my answer would be yes.
There could definitely be some subtlety there.

The doctor they were talking to wasn’t really shocked by the answers more was pointing out there is so much more to do after a vaccine is made.

1 - (1/Ro) is the herd immunity threshold for a new infection.
Ro for this is somewhere in the 3 range. So for an 70% effective vaccine we need 95% compliance.

We will get nowhere near 95%. 

This is why prioritization of who does get immunity through vaccination first is so important.  

Vaccine companies need at advertise the secondary effects loudly so the anti- vax conspiracy theory crowd can't scream about this stuff being hidden.

Politicians and scientists are going to have their work cut for them to get people to believe it is safe.  I’m not sure how well they will do.
So this is me.  I've not made that a secret.  I simply don't trust our pharmaceutical complex at all and that's with relatively decent oversight from the federal government.  We don't have that.  If the vaccine comes from the trials happening at Oxford, I'd give it a go.  I've been following that very closely and feel it has been the proper way as best as I can tell.

whoknew said:
I wonder if large companies will pay to get the vaccine relatively early. So a lot of us will be vaccinated through work.
Well, two doses 28 days apart for 200,000,000 people is going to some time to manufacture and then administer.  Especially if the federal government sits on its ### like it has so far. 

And it really should go to the most at risk people first.  I'd would love to be wrong and get it sooner, but I'm mentally planing for another 8-9 months like the last 4.5.

Users who are viewing this thread