What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper/dynasty IDP. Need to pick one to cut. (1 Viewer)

BigJonE300

Footballguy
I am making cuts in one of my dynasty leagues that uses IDPs. I can only keep 3 of these guys and there is no cost to keep them. Which one would you cut? Frank Clark, JJ Watt, Leighton Vander Esch or Bobby Wagner? We start 2-DL, 3-LB.

The league has 18-teams and points are scored for most measurable defensive stats in the game. Tackles, assists, sacks, forced fumbles and recoveries, passes defended, INTs, TDs and sacks. There are bonuses for 10+ tackles in a game and also for 3+ sacks.

Obviously a guy like JJ Watt in his prime was a HUGE asset, not sure of him now over Clark given his lack of durability the past few seasons. DL is probably the most shallow roster spot but starting 3 linebackers makes me lean towards keeping both Vander Esch and Wagner as they both have a good chance to be top-10 LBs in my league. Worth mentioning that I have pick #2, 5, 20 and 23 and two more in the top half of the 3rd round thanks to some good fortune with trading and our draft lottery. I'll be done drafting my offensive position players before anyone else and have an opportunity to jump on the top IDPs earlier than normal.

Knowing the type of scoring system is important to make a good recommendation here.  Are the points tackle heavy (1 pt tackle to 2 pts a sack), Balanced (1 pt<4pt per sack) or big play (1 pt<5+ pts per sack).  I know you said there is not cost to keep them but is there a limitation on how long you can keep them? 

Also not knowing how most of your league keeps players makes this a bit of a guess as well.  To me it boils down to whether or not you are risk averse or not.  Due to injuries Watt and LVE are big risks.  I haven't seen the reports to know if LVE is back healthy.  Anytime there is a neck injury in play that worries me a lot especially at LB.  Also, the type of scoring as I described above....if it is tackle heavy or balanced and you are satisfied with LVE's health I think you should keep the two LB's for sure.

For me I would take the upside of Watt (provided he is healthy....i haven't looked) and Wagner (as consistent as they come).  After that I would probably lean towards Clark because i usually can find serviceable LB's more readily than DE's.  If it is big play scoring then LVE is the easy one to leave off due to a combination of scoring system and his health risks. 

Also, you may get more input if you also put this in the IDP Asst Coach forum.  The posters there are really knowledgeable and typically a great help.

Users who are viewing this thread