What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaylen Waddle, MIA (1 Viewer)

Appreciate all this Faust, really do. And I am delighted so many in the know are excited about Waddle and his production in a Miami Dolphins uniform. 

I would be happy if he were even 75% of this guy and what he brought to the Miami Dolphins. Clayton was a better route runner and he had to be because Duper just flat out would blow by your ### and knew Marino would deliver the goods. 

But Duper had a very special QB throwing him the football and Tua is never going to be that guy so Waddle actually has to be almost better than Duper to make this work. Maybe he is, we're gonna find out. 

I'll take the under on the 900 yds, especially once they draft Williams at 36 and IOL with both 50 and 81 to ease the burden off Tua and passing game 😆. 👍

Dolphins Rookie Deep Dive: Jaylen Waddle

The leader in yards-per-touch for the 2020 college football season is bringing the fireworks to Miami.

With the sixth pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the Dolphins selected college football's most-efficient, and potentially most-dangerous deep threat, in Alabama's Jaylen Waddle. Dating back to his breakout true freshman campaign in 2018, Waddle has reeled in 21-of-26 passes that traveled 20-or-more yards through the air. He caught six-of-seven deep targets last season and scored touchdowns on half of those receptions.

Prior to an ankle injury that cost Waddle eight games (and all but the opening kickoff of a ninth), he was matching teammate and eventual Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith in the ridiculous statistics category. Waddle's 557 receiving yards were 74 yards more than Smith's four-game total through the first quarter of the Crimson Tide schedule; and he did it with 18 fewer targets. Waddle was averaging 22.3 yards per reception (compared to Smith's 12.7) and a ludicrous 19.2 yards per target (compared to Smith's 10.8). 

A true four-down player, Waddle's dynamic threat extends to special teams. He averaged 19.3 yards per punt return with two career touchdowns on 38 opportunities. He also scored a kickoff return touchdown and averaged 23.8 yards on nine kick returns.

Waddle's wiggle is evident any time he touches the football. Like his Alabama teammate, Waddle didn't participate in any pre-draft testing, but he did clock a 4.37 40-yard dash as a prep.

In the absence of traditional testing times and metrics, the NFL is incorporating GPS tracking to measure player's in-game speed and movement.

"In talking to some teams around the league, Waddle had the fastest GPS of any receiver in the country," said NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah during a conference call last month. "Your eyes aren't deceiving you when you watch him. He's freaky fast."

Jeremiah backed up his statement in his top 50 big board, where he has Waddle as his No. 5 overall player in this year's class.

"Extraordinary speed and playmaking ability. He has the ability to line up inside or outside. His acceleration in his release is elite. He destroys the cushions he receives from defenders in a hiccup and can find a second and third gear once the ball is in the air. He's at his best on runaway routes, but he flashes the ability to efficiently gear down and work back downhill. I thought his hands were improved this fall. He's one of the most talented kickoff and punt returners (just watch the tape of his 2019 performance against Auburn) to enter the NFL over the last decade."

Matt Harmon – the creator of Reception Perception – scored Waddle with an 80 percent success rate on post routes, 73.7 on takeoff routes and 87.5 percent on digs. Waddle feasted on in-breaking routes, including an 80 percent success rate on slants.

His 80.3 success rate against man coverage ranked in the 98th percentile in all of college football.

"It's difficult to remember a recent prospect who can so easily flip the field, control their speed and devastate with a stop/start-move all while doing the little things like Waddle does so effortlessly. Overall, Waddle is an excellent separator. His 80.3 percent success rate vs. man coverage is not just the best in this 2021 class, it's one of the top scores among all prospects charted in Reception Perception history."

The separation and complete destruction of any man coverage that lines up across from Waddle demonstrates why he's so deadly on in-breaking and vertical routes. His speed, start-stop quickness, and instant accelerator allows him to create distance between he and the coverage.

Waddle can stretch the field both vertically and horizontally, giving Miami, along with Will Fuller V,  potentially two of the league's most dangerous outside presences in that regard.

On the topic of playing on the perimeter, Waddle split his time between wide splits and inside at the slot. He played 242 snaps in 2020 with 147 of those coming from an inside alignment. That jives with Waddle's skillset. He scored a 62.5 percent success rate vs. press coverage. That mark, per Harmon, falls at the 33rd percentile among all prospects in the Reception Perception's history. Pressing receivers in the slot – especially receivers with a sub 4.4 timed speed and perhaps even quicker game-speed – is an "enter at your own risk" proposition for opposing corners.

Waddle gained 495 yards from the slot, which ranked 24th in college football. His slot yards per game (123.8) was far and away tops in the nation.

Even for a receiver that excels in getting to top speed quickly and showcases a unique burst off the line, Waddle can haul in a contested ball downfield; he made four contested catches in his four games this past season.

Travis Wingfield @WingfieldNFL

Watching the underclassmen seasons of some of the top WR prospects. My goodness Jaylen Waddle and Rondale Moore were so good as true freshmen. I’m particularly partial to this one

https://twitter.com/wingfieldnfl/status/1376224320473550849?s=21

Waddle finished tied for sixth in the country with an average of 10.1 yards after the catch. He also generated the 26th-most deep yards (passes throw 20-or-more yards downfield) with 329 yards on just seven passes of that criteria. He also turned seven reception on screen passes into 65 yards (9.29 yards per screen reception).

The conflict Waddle's infusion into the offense places on opposing defense is enough to making opposing defensive coordinators sweat, especially paired with fellow speedster Fuller. Fuller is one of the game's most polished deep threats. His 20.93 yards per route run on balls thrown 20-plus yards downfield ranked second among qualifying receivers (one target per game played).

As Fuller stretches the field vertically, Waddle can do the same, but also adds the element of a horizontal threat. Those two weapons, working in unison, could create matchups and open spaces in the middle of the field for Mike Gesicki, DeVante Parker and the rest of the Miami pass catchers.

Creating opportunities for teammates is one way to be liked in the locker room, something with which Waddle had no issue in college.

"This is two years in a row we lost a player who was probably the most popular player on the team in terms of being a good teammate and being liked by his teammates," Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban said. "Tua (Tagovailoa) was that way last year, and Jaylen's that way this year. And you just hate it for him because they're just such great competitors and they mean so much to their team and their teammates."

Waddle's presence impacted more than just the stat sheet, scoreboard and locker room, he changed how opposing defenses operated.

"…Heading into that game, Missouri Head Coach Eli Drinkwitz and his staff thought they had a pretty good plan to slow down the Tide offense. That plan centered on keeping the ball out of the hands of Jaylen Waddle, who was coming off a 2019 season where he averaged 17 yards per catch and totaled 6 touchdowns while the focal point of opposing defenses.

I was like, 'Hey look guys, Jalen Waddle is what makes them go, alright? So we got to double Jalen and make DeVonta Smith beat us. Okay? He's kind of a nice piece out there, but man, we got to take Jaylen Waddle away.' "

Wrong Jaylen/Jaelon
I like the shorter Jaelon but man that's a tough top 4 to crack.

Somebody explain why Waddle isn't Henry Ruggs. He's a much more complete WR with a more developed route tree, right? But it's going to be interesting to see who emerges as the alpha and if Tua is a good enough passer for that to matter.

I like the shorter Jaelon but man that's a tough top 4 to crack.

Somebody explain why Waddle isn't Henry Ruggs. He's a much more complete WR with a more developed route tree, right? But it's going to be interesting to see who emerges as the alpha and if Tua is a good enough passer for that to matter.
I do like Waddle more than Ruggs as he does seem more complete. Better routes, less linear. He also made a big impact on the crowded Bama offense as a freshman. He was going to have a monster year if not for the injury. That said, it doesn’t seem like a great pairing with the offense.

He fell to me at 2.01 in a 12 team, superflex. I knew talent would drop because people would reach for QB, but I didn't even watch any tape on the guy (not thinking he would fall to me).

But hey, I own 1 share of Jaylen Waddle. Proud owner. LFG!!

I took Devonta over him in my PPR dynasty league...I hope I won't regret that 
997/12, 885/10, 1386/13...last year 1374/18, how do you sleep at night wondering if you made the right call over a guy who...well let's see what he did, he must have had like 1500/20 Touchdowns a season coming out of college to make you twist and turn over this decision, let's see what Waddle has done coming out. 

33/560/6Tds and last year 28/591/4Tds...this guy must have some serious hype because he sure hasn't turned int he goods his last couple years in college football. Maybe the QB was an issue or something, oh no he's reunited with the same guy from the same college usually known more for its running than throwing and catching but wow, OK. 

Tough call

^ Is forgetting Waddle was easily outpacing Smith last year before Waddle got hurt; and that most scouts and draftniks think that Waddle would have won the Heisman but for the injury. Now, I personally think they're both too small and come with a great degree of risk and uncertainty to where I don't understand how they're being ranked so highly, but then, one has to look at the entire class, and they're about where they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Is forgetting Waddle was easily outpacing Smith last year before Waddle got hurt; and that most scouts and draftniks think that Waddle would have won the Heisman but for the injury. Now, I personally think they're both too small and come with a great degree of risk and uncertainty to where I don't understand how they're being ranked so highly, but then, one has to look at the entire class, and they're about where they should be.
Recency bias/tyreek effect. “Changing nfl game.” Fast guys are all the rage now. Will one of these guys be Tyreek or will they be John Ross? 
WR evaluation shouldn’t start with the player imo, it starts with the QB throwing to him. Do you believe in Hurts or Tua? This wr class had some unproven landing spots with regards to QB. Lamar Jackson, Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones, Tua/hurts. If you like a guys talent, you have to deal with the possibility that the qb might not deliver and you’re sitting on that guy waiting for a qb change (or Ljax to throw good). 

I think you might be embellishing a bit by saying easily out pacing Smith. Its a weak argument that wont pass the mustard.

Also embellishing to say that most scouts thought Waddle would win the Heisman. You do not know what the scouts think any more than any of us do. You could be right about the draftniks I don't really know but that is the echo chamber and I have eyes too.

I can understand your position thinking both players might be too small for your liking. Smiths weight is a wart on his profile no getting around that but its also about the only potential flaw he has. I don't have an issue with Waddles size at all.

I looked it up and there was a healthy number of juniors who declared for the 2020 draft but based on 20 years or so of doing this I think it was a weaker than average draft aside from the many very good QB prospects.

Jaylen Waddle has flashed as an outside receiver early in Dolphins training camp.

DeVante Parker started training camp on the PUP list and Will Fuller has been held out of practice this week with an unspecified injury. Those absences have allowed Waddle to see outside receiver reps with the first team offense, and he has reportedly impressed. Waddle may also be involved in the offense on jet sweeps and screens. It was initially assumed that Waddle would see his work out of the slot in 2021. If he can mix in outside routes and designed plays, he could deliver a sensational rookie campaign.

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

, DeVante Parker

, Will Fuller

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 4, 2021, 11:32 AM ET

This guy is gonna ball.  Easily my 2nd favorite WR in this class.  

I actually like him as much as Ja'Marr Chase.  His release, route running and speed are going to be a force.  I am skeptical of Tua, but I think elite players find a way to put up elite numbers, regardless. 

I actually like him as much as Ja'Marr Chase.  His release, route running and speed are going to be a force.  I am skeptical of Tua, but I think elite players find a way to put up elite numbers, regardless. 
Agreed. I’ve made the same argument about other players.  I think people over-analyze things way too much.  I quit doing that many years ago and it’s actually kept me from missing the playoffs in redraft for about 10 years now. 

It's crazy people were letting this guy fall to the end of the 1st, sometimes early 2nd (superflex), in dynasty drafts. He is going to eat if he stays healthy. 

The Bears and Dolphins held a scrimmage today and according to Bears beat writers from The Athletic, Waddle and Mack shredded the Bears secondary. The DB's couldn't keep up at all.

Ended up getting Waddle in both of my dynasty leagues, 1.10 in SF and 2.01 in 1QB non-ppr. Super excited to watch this dude.

Returned the first punt for about 15 to 20 yards. I didn't see him after that. Miami has a logjam after WR 4, I think they wanna see who sticks and who gets cut. 
Ok, surprised they didn’t want him out there with Tua but like you said coaches often have various reasons for the preseason decisions that we aren’t aware of.

Returned the first punt for about 15 to 20 yards. I didn't see him after that. Miami has a logjam after WR 4, I think they wanna see who sticks and who gets cut. 

Ok, surprised they didn’t want him out there with Tua but like you said coaches often have various reasons for the preseason decisions that we aren’t aware of.
Or it's possible he just sucks like most rookie WRs playing behind 2 different WRs capable of hitting 1,000+ yds so there's that. 

Logjam you say...really? 

Gesicki made Tua's stat sheet look OK but I didn't see him throw a single bullet, everything was lofted and touch pass, it looked painful at times watching him wind up, just lucky he can find guys wide open but nothing Tua is doing makes me feel confident at the moment FYI...

Last edited by a moderator:
MoP Notes on Tua: He threw an interception in the Redzone and in the end zone no less. That was the last pass he threw to my knowledge. Why is Jacoby even throwing the football in preseason, I'm not interested in anything he does right now because he is not and will not be the Miami QB, what a waste of time watching him loft 10 passes, those are snaps that Tua desperately needs...we're talking about a man who said to the media he didn't know the Playbook the last year, so he can't be trusted to learn on his own or work on his own. 

He managed to pass for almost 100 yards but Mike Gesicki had about 50 yds on 1 catch and was spinning and stiff arming his way thru the Defense, that is the next Pro Bowl TE, total man-child beating the Bears in the head with his whiffle ball bat while he was running along the sidelines. You take that away and you got something that looks like about 50 yds and an INTERCEPTION in the End Zone...we are in trouble folks. I thought he looked terrible. 

I have other positions to weigh in on but that needs to be the first person the media tears into, just garbage today as far as I'm concerned.  

MoP Notes on Tua: He threw an interception in the Redzone and in the end zone no less. That was the last pass he threw to my knowledge. Why is Jacoby even throwing the football in preseason, I'm not interested in anything he does right now because he is not and will not be the Miami QB, what a waste of time watching him loft 10 passes, those are snaps that Tua desperately needs...we're talking about a man who said to the media he didn't know the Playbook the last year, so he can't be trusted to learn on his own or work on his own. 

He managed to pass for almost 100 yards but Mike Gesicki had about 50 yds on 1 catch and was spinning and stiff arming his way thru the Defense, that is the next Pro Bowl TE, total man-child beating the Bears in the head with his whiffle ball bat while he was running along the sidelines. You take that away and you got something that looks like about 50 yds and an INTERCEPTION in the End Zone...we are in trouble folks. I thought he looked terrible. 

I have other positions to weigh in on but that needs to be the first person the media tears into, just garbage today as far as I'm concerned.  
Tua has accuracy, but not enough zip on the ball to be late with throws. On that INT in the end zone, the TE was open early but he threw it late.  His upside is Brees lite, with a little more mobility. I need to see more from Tua in the preseason, completely agree. He did complete about 7 in a row at one point, a few into tight windows.

BTW, Brissett was good. And maybe Waddle isn't 100%, the injury info from Flores is straight from the Belechick book.

Tua has accuracy, but not enough zip on the ball to be late with throws. On that INT in the end zone, the TE was open early but he threw it late.  His upside is Brees lite, with a little more mobility. I need to see more from Tua in the preseason, completely agree. He did complete about 7 in a row at one point, a few into tight windows.

BTW, Brissett was good. And maybe Waddle isn't 100%, the injury info from Flores is straight from the Belechick book.
Him going 7 out of 10 outside of that 1 pass to Mike does not impress me. 

7/10 50 yds and an Interception, and he has a weak sauce arm it would seem, nobody is going to fear this kid. 

Starting OL today

LT-Austin Jackson: Terrible game, got blown up and allowed penetration on run plays, got flagged, was on his back some. 

LG-Solomon Kindley: Solid

C-Michael Deiter...hmmm maybe 

RG Robert Hunt: Looked Good

RT Jesse Davis: Usual solid self

The run game between Gaskins(left yds on the field) and Ahmed(scored TD) looked good with 10 carries for about 60 yds between the two of them. Gaskins one time looked like he was going to rip it ot the house such a big hole Kindley and Deiter had opened on the Left side in the 2nd Q, I ogtta go back and find the exact play but Gaskin just has no speed, the opening was there to get into the 2nd level at least and he didn't really do that IMO. 

So what is Tua's upside, a less productive Chad Pennington at this point? 
I wish he would throw more passes downfield, like the one he threw to Gesicki, 30 air yards dropping it perfectly to Gesicki in stride, leading to a 50 yard completion. Like the walkoff TD to Smith vs Auburn which was 45 air yards. I think his upside is greater than Pennington, but it's too early to know. I don't know if Waddle played much at WR in this game. There was no Parker, Fuller or Wilson in this game. Hopefully, we'll see if Tua can connect with Waddle and Wilson before FF draft day.

@Ministry of Pain has a good point. If Tua doesn't connect deep more often they'll crowd the LOS. He can throw with accuracy up to about 50 yards, but his passes don't have a lot of zip. Maybe in the Brees category, but Brees intangibles are unlikely to be duplicated.

Starting OL today

LT-Austin Jackson: Terrible game, got blown up and allowed penetration on run plays, got flagged, was on his back some. 

LG-Solomon Kindley: Solid

C-Michael Deiter...hmmm maybe 

RG Robert Hunt: Looked Good

RT Jesse Davis: Usual solid self

The run game between Gaskins(left yds on the field) and Ahmed(scored TD) looked good with 10 carries for about 60 yds between the two of them. Gaskins one time looked like he was going to rip it ot the house such a big hole Kindley and Deiter had opened on the Left side in the 2nd Q, I ogtta go back and find the exact play but Gaskin just has no speed, the opening was there to get into the 2nd level at least and he didn't really do that IMO. 
I thought the O line looked horrible in the run game from what I watched (until mid 2nd quarter). Gaskins shiftiness helped him but against the starters on D they seemed to being getting pushed around, especially in the run game. 

Users who are viewing this thread