What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaylen Waddle, MIA (1 Viewer)

Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranks Alabama junior Jaylen Waddle fifth among wideouts eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft coming into the 2020 season.

One of the players ranked ahead of Waddle is fellow Crimson tide wideout Jaylen Waddle, so yeah, Alabama is going to be fine at wide receiver even without Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs. A five-star recruit, Waddle has had to play behind those names for most of his two seasons with the program, but still has shown off the ability to make big plays, as Brugler notes. "While he has separation quickness, Waddle’s separation refinement requires development," he writes. "There is no questioning his burst at the top of patterns, but he can be more efficient with his footwork to better set up corners and improve his stem releases." If he can refine his routes, Waddle is a lock to go in the first two rounds of next year's draft -- assuming he doesn't return to school, of course. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 19, 2020, 12:25 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh projected the Cincinnati Bengals to select Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle with the No. 3 overall pick.

This is the loftiest mock draft perch we have seen for Waddle in the early spate of thought exercises for next spring. Writes Farabaugh, "Waddle is a bit of a surprise here, but he sets himself apart by showcasing an elite ability to dictate what a defense does. After the catch, Waddle is dangerous, shifty, and elusive." The analyst sees a Bengals-Waddle marriage as very realistic given the team's current roster -- though maybe with a trade down -- noting that "A.J. Green’s future with the team is anything but certain and John Ross has not manifested into anything significant yet."

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 13, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

Pro Football Focus ranks Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle the top returning kick returner for the 2020 season.

Waddle (5'10"/182) returned just five kicks last year, but they were for 175 yards, including a 98-yard touchdown. He was also able to return 20 punts for 487 yards and a score on top of his 45-848-7 line he put up as a receiver. Waddle was a five-star recruit who has put up impressive numbers despite playing behind a plethora of talented wideouts. Two of those wide receivers -- Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy -- are off to the NFL, so Waddle should be a go-to option as well as one of the top returners in college football.

May 4, 2020, 1:53 PM ET

In his first mock for the 2021 NFL Draft, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle to the Dolphins with the No. 5 pick.

If Waddle did indeed fly off the board to the Dolphins next spring, the 5-foot-10, 182-pounder would be linking up with former teammate Tua Tagovailoa once more. We're all about that kind of synergy 'round these parts. Miller refers to Waddle as possessing a "blend between [Jerry] Jeudy's routes and [Henry] Ruggs' speed." Not too shabby. This particular mock goes hog wild with early receivers, tagging four (Ja'Marr Chase, Waddle, Devonta Smith and Justyn Ross) into the top-10. 

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 30, 2020, 11:18 AM ET

Pro Football Focus' Anthony Treash passes along that Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle "ranked behind only CeeDee Lamb in PFF grade, yards after the catch per reception and passer rating generated when in the slot (these past two seasons)."

"On targets in the slot with 'open' separation (more than a couple of steps), Waddle averaged 13.0 yards after the catch per reception while also tacking on 14 broken tackles," Treash writes of the 5-foot-10, 182-pound speedster. Waddle notched a 33-560-6 receiving line in 2019, but keep in mind that that line came with Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs on the field. In 2020, it'll be Waddle and Devonta Smith leading the way. Treash ranks Waddle as the No. 4 receiver in college football for the upcoming season.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 22, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Jaylen Waddle has a rare combination  of explosiveness and speed. He change direction and slip through contact just as well as he can beat defensive pursuit in the open field.

Waddle has the ~traits~ to develop into a top 5 route runner in the NFL with added polish.
https://twitter.com/bradkelly17/status/1292491694949249024?s=21

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Jaylen Waddle’s freshman season:

•57 targets

•45 receptions (79%🔥)

•848 yards (14.9 yds per target 👀)

•7 touchdowns

SEC Freshman of the Year
https://twitter.com/bradkelly17/status/1104141059859320833?s=21

Last edited by a moderator:
We're wrapping up our devy draft right now and Waddle was one of my top two choices on the clock at 1.04. I ultimately went with Kyle Pitts instead (TE-premium), but it was not an easy decision. It was basically a coin flip for me and I opted for the guy who has more format-specific value. In a standard PPR league I would be thrilled to get Waddle. I noticed him last season and when I was going through highlights of this class he was one of the few guys whose ability really popped off the screen.

I would say he's the WR version of Darren Sproles. Lacks ideal height, but has very good speed and absolutely unreal joystick quickness. That's his hallmark trait. He's one of the most fluid and elusive WRs I've ever seen. You can name any guy from that mold like McCluster, Cooks, and Tavon; and Waddle is better. The only real limitation on his game is size. He has solid bulk for his height, but I'd guess that he's only about 5'8". He's noticeably short and will not be a factor on jump balls or contested catch situations. On the other hand, his ability to uncover and create space is so exceptional that most of his catches won't be contested.

First round talent, IMO, and possibly top 10-20 overall. I would take him over Rondale Moore and I can't say I'm 100% sold that Chase is better. Chase is bigger and more of a straight-line powerhouse, but he definitely can't do the stuff Waddle can do from a quickness and agility standpoint.

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle scored two touchdowns and caught eight passes for 134 yards in a 38-19 win over Missouri on Saturday. 

A very impressive start to the season for Waddle. The former five-star recruit scored both of his touchdowns in the first-half, and he came up just short of adding a third. And by just short, we mean inches. Let's remember that while DeVonta Smith is back, Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy -- both first-round picks -- are not; meaning there are catches in this offense to be had. Waddle was still able to put up a 45-848-7 line despite the presence of those two, and it's likely he blows those rates out of the water this summer. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout will look to do it again next Saturday against Texas A&M. 

Sep 26, 2020, 10:19 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh writes that Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle is "underrated" in his route-running prowess.

"Waddle has true, teach tape route running form for smaller, speedy receivers. There are many nuances that he has down. The art of deception for a wide receiver is one of their biggest strengths over defensive backs, especially when you have as much speed as Waddle," Farabaugh writes of the 5-foot-10, 182-pound Alabama junior. Not every evaluator is quite as comfortable with Waddle's routes, though, with The Athletic's Dane Brugler writing earlier this summer that the wideout "can be more efficient with his footwork to better set up corners and improve his stem releases. Brugler ranks Waddle as his No. 5 wide receiver in the prospective spring draft class.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Aug 27, 2020, 2:43 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle turned five catches into 142 yards with a touchdown in a 52-24 thrashing on Saturday of Texas A&M. 

The breakout season is on. Waddle's day was sort of quiet before he scored an 87-yard touchdown in the middle of the third from Mac Jones that gave Alabama a 42-17 lead. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout also scored twice in the opener against Missouri, so he's gone over the century mark twice and reached the end zone thrice to begin this season. Waddle will likely do both again next Saturday against Ole Miss. 

Oct 3, 2020, 6:59 PM ET

It's been so exciting to watch him this year without Ruggs and Jeudy. So far so good and he looks better than both. He was better than both last year even. I haven't fully gone through 2021 rookies or anything but I have a hard time imagining Waddle isn't one of my top5. 

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle turned six receptions into 161 yards with a touchdown in Saturday's 41-24 win over Georgia. 

Jaylen Waddle is faster than you. He showed as much on a 90-yard touchdown connection with Mac Jones that gave Alabama a 27-24 lead where he simply ran past the Georgia defense. Waddle has been outstanding so far in 2020, and has gone over the hundred-yard mark in all four games with four touchdowns thus far. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout will run past the Volunteers' defense next Saturday when Alabama faces off against Tennessee.

Oct 17, 2020, 11:41 PM ET

Injured on the opening kickoff.  Lower leg hit/twisted oddly.  Wasn't putting weight on it and was visually pissed hitting the side of the cart as he was being taken tk the locker room.

Hoping all is well, tons of talent for that kid.

Injured on the opening kickoff.  Lower leg hit/twisted oddly.  Wasn't putting weight on it and was visually pissed hitting the side of the cart as he was being taken tk the locker room.

Hoping all is well, tons of talent for that kid.
Yeah, it did not look good...thinking he might just shut it down for the rest of the year if on the high ankle side of things.

Yeah, it did not look good...thinking he might just shut it down for the rest of the year if on the high ankle side of things.
With all the other injuries especially in the pros...business move he would be wise to shut it down.  Will be a 1st rounder already it seems.

Edit to add: now looking like they are loading him into an ambulance.  That seems ungood.

Jeff Mueller, PT, DPT @jmthrivept

Jaylen Waddle — As #5 rolls up on Waddle’s Right foot, you can see a sudden shift or shudder at the Talocrural joint. Waddle hopped off without placing weight through his foot. Immense pain. I believe it’s a Dislocation, & generally these occur with a fracture as well.

sho nuff said:
With all the other injuries especially in the pros...business move he would be wise to shut it down.  Will be a 1st rounder already it seems.

Edit to add: now looking like they are loading him into an ambulance.  That seems ungood.
Makes no sense why they had this kid on kickoffs....probably never would have sniffed special teams at the next level.  Too bad, extreme talent, season cut short and now let's see how it hurts the draft stock

Makes no sense why they had this kid on kickoffs....probably never would have sniffed special teams at the next level.  Too bad, extreme talent, season cut short and now let's see how it hurts the draft stock
Saban doesn't coach fantasy football.

Who said anything about FF?  
Yeah, there's nothing about FF in there. This is purely questioning why your stud is in on kickoffs and special teams when you've recruited presumably everybody else in the country to do just that it case they don't pan out position-wise. Just seems to make common sense.

Questioning why a great player is on the field for special teams is a FF-driven reaction.  Real coaches want their playmakers touching the ball period.  Every football coach I have ever spoken to just laughs at the idea of not using someone for fear of injury.  You'd never play them if that were the case, every play they are on the field there is a risk of getting hurt.  If it were deep in the 4th quarter and they were up by a mile sure, that's not smart but this is the opening kickoff in an SEC game.

Questioning why a great player is on the field for special teams is a FF-driven reaction.  Real coaches want their playmakers touching the ball period.  Every football coach I have ever spoken to just laughs at the idea of not using someone for fear of injury.  You'd never play them if that were the case, every play they are on the field there is a risk of getting hurt.  If it were deep in the 4th quarter and they were up by a mile sure, that's not smart but this is the opening kickoff in an SEC game.
I agree with this though I thought it was weird Saban took a shot at Waddle saying Waddle shouldn't have brought the ball out of the end zone. That was classless. He's a playmaker and that is why you have him return kicks in the first place. 

I agree with this though I thought it was weird Saban took a shot at Waddle saying Waddle shouldn't have brought the ball out of the end zone. That was classless. He's a playmaker and that is why you have him return kicks in the first place. 
It wasn't weird at all. That's what Saban is.

Yeah, there's nothing about FF in there. This is purely questioning why your stud is in on kickoffs and special teams when you've recruited presumably everybody else in the country to do just that it case they don't pan out position-wise. Just seems to make common sense.
But if he is the best return man on the team, don't you want him returning kicks? I doubt one is more likely to get hurt returning a kick than they are on a typical offensive snap. Also, yes Bama is deep, which means the guy stepping up to replace Waddle is also going to be a great player. 

I just hope he doesn't have any lingering effects next year.  I suppose it will be a few days before we know the extent of his injury.

Yeah I don't think it was classless, I think Saban was thinking like a coach and not a human being.  His assignment on that play was likely to not bring it out, which is what the coach part of him was saying.  He's just clueless to the human optics side of it because he's such a coach-robot.

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle (ankle) limped off the field in Monday's game against Ohio State in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T. 

That Waddle (5'10/182) is playing in this game at all is outrageous. Waddle suffered a major ankle injury months ago that would have automatically ended anyone else's season, but he tired his best to get in shape for this national championship. Though he has been clearly hampered all night, Waddle finally limped off the field in the second half, perhaps as result of too much stress on his not-100% healthy ankle. It's unclear how much more Waddle will play in this game. 

SOURCE: Sports Center on Twitter

Jan 11, 2021, 10:37 PM ET

Yeah I don't think it was classless, I think Saban was thinking like a coach and not a human being.  His assignment on that play was likely to not bring it out, which is what the coach part of him was saying.  He's just clueless to the human optics side of it because he's such a coach-robot.
Saban does not think like a normal human..he looked at the play and thought it was the incorrect decision.  Nothing personal.

I am guessing the risk of additional damage was low or they would not have allowed him to play through this (I sure hope that was the case, at least).  If that is true, let the man live his dream.  You can never get these moments back again.  Much respect to Waddle; that kind of gutsy performance may have earned him even a further boost in the draft.  How could you not want Waddle on your team?  Tyreek Hill 2.0?

It would be wild if the injury caused him to fall to the...Chiefs. Robinson and Watkins are FA’s. Can’t imagine trying to cover the outside speed of Hill/Hardman/Waddle with Kelce in the middle. Sorry, done dreaming....

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle has officially declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. 

22-year-old Waddle joins QB Mac Jones, CB Patrick Surtain II and DL Christian Barmore in declaring early. Waddle is headed to the big leagues on a low note after an ankle injury limited him to six 2020 appearances — including a difficult-to-watch national championship game gut-it-out effort — but he will still almost certainly come off the board in the first 32 picks. When Waddle is right, he is a big-play threat who pours on yards after the catch. Concerns are his size (5-foot-10), age (23 as a rookie) and October ankle surgery. 

Jan 14, 2021, 3:28 PM ET

I am guessing the risk of additional damage was low or they would not have allowed him to play through this (I sure hope that was the case, at least).  If that is true, let the man live his dream.  You can never get these moments back again.  Much respect to Waddle; that kind of gutsy performance may have earned him even a further boost in the draft.  How could you not want Waddle on your team?  Tyreek Hill 2.0?
Nevertheless, I cringed every time he got on the field.  Don't hurt yourself, son!

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

8. Jaylen Waddle, WR

School: Alabama | Year: Junior

Waddle is a slightly undersized receiver with extraordinary speed and playmaking ability. He has the ability to line up inside or outside. His acceleration in his release is elite. He destroys the cushions he receives from defenders in a hiccup and can find a second and third gear once the ball is in the air. He's at his best on runaway routes, but he flashes the ability to efficiently gear down and work back downhill. I thought his hands were improved this fall (see: crazy catch versus Missouri in the season opener). He's one of the most talented kickoff and punt returners (just watch the tape of his 2019 performance against Auburn) to enter the NFL over the last decade. Overall, Waddle isn't quite as strong as Tyreek Hill, but he's capable of having the same impact in the NFL.

Waddle has more receiving talent than Ruggs, so those of you who look at Ruggs and think Waddle, you are being lazy.  The big question is whether to take him over Smith.  In my mind yes, but I wouldn't blame those who think differently based on production.  

Users who are viewing this thread