What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should I draft in Dynasty Startup ? 14 teams (1 Viewer)

The Fantasy Chef

Footballguy
I would like some insight on how I should approach this strategy wise with the new picks I acquired.  So I’m in an Interesting position in this Startup. I will bullet all the factors and assets I have attained through trades.

***   I was in the 3 rd spot on the draft board for a snake format. Throughout the draft I have that 3rd draft  position but I decided to move picks.  I was offered the 1.13 for my 2nd and 5 th rd picks which I took. Then I moved back from the 1.03 to the 1.07 for a 3 rd rounder. I then sold the 1.07 for a 2nd, 4th and a 2021 1st. So I am currently sitting with : 

first 5 rounds I have  I have 6 picks 

1.13, 2.9, 3.3, 3.7, 4.9, 4.12, no 5th round 

* 14 Teams
* PPR 1 Qb 

*starting roster will be 
1 qb
2 rb
3 wr 
1 wr/rb/te

1 k

1 def

4 taxi rookies only

I do understand best player available, wr upside but I’m wondering with the rbs available the scarcity with elite tes. I have rookie lust to deal with 🤣.  And how I shook up my picks what do I do with these 6 picks . Do I punt qb and or the first year and maybe grab the rookies at the back of the first or is that nuts 😝. Should I grab a te early because my 2nd round pick is around where Kittle might go. Do I take a Mahomes in a 1 qb. I’m all over the place . 
im hoping for some good strategy conversations back and forth. Thanks for any insight in advance. 

With them draft slots I think I’d be looking to draft super young guys and/or trade back for future draft picks. I’m current on dyno adps for the rookie rbs but I would definitely be targeting them a bit sooner since you haven’t a chance at a top rb. I’d avoid certain situations with big changes coming in the near future like Green Bay and the saints. With that said value is still value

Just looking at ADP I decided to draft RBs first, then WRs, then best available of QB or TE.

I got the following, which looks great to me.

Sanders

Ekeler

Ridley

DK Metcalf

Hollywood

R Wilson

If your style is to wait very long for QB then you could have had Waller as your TE instead of Wilson.

I love that your extra picks make the core of your team solid. I think with good picks you might have a strong enough team to compete now and you generated an extra first next year to boot. Good work. 

With them draft slots I think I’d be looking to draft super young guys and/or trade back for future draft picks. I’m current on dyno adps for the rookie rbs but I would definitely be targeting them a bit sooner since you haven’t a chance at a top rb. I’d avoid certain situations with big changes coming in the near future like Green Bay and the saints. With that said value is still value
Thanks for the feedback I love me some CEH and Johnathan Taylor but if I go one with them do I go both and pass on a Kittle.  I feel like Kittle might give me that upside advantage for a startup dynasty I’m not sold on it . 

Just looking at ADP I decided to draft RBs first, then WRs, then best available of QB or TE.

I got the following, which looks great to me.

Sanders

Ekeler

Ridley

DK Metcalf

Hollywood

R Wilson

If your style is to wait very long for QB then you could have had Waller as your TE instead of Wilson.

I love that your extra picks make the core of your team solid. I think with good picks you might have a strong enough team to compete now and you generated an extra first next year to boot. Good work. 
I’m not sure I am an Ekeler guy in dynasty he’s been in the league a little bit. I like Sanders and I’m a huge fan of Michael  Warren and I know he’s udfa but if you look at this kids tape he’s worth stashing. Love the wrs and qb but isn’t it weird all the podcasts and mocks are drafting metcalf, Ridley . I guarantee these guys will be drafted ahead of the adp . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Ekeler. With Gordon gone he will look more like what he was with Gordon on holdout. Plus even if Chargers struggle, he will be the two minute back. So he is match up proof, kind of like Kamara. 

But if you don’t like that a couple established options are AJones and KDrake. A couple rookie options are Swift and Dobbins. I doubt Taylor falls to you, but you can hope. Problem with Swift is split time with Karryon. Dobbins might need wait a while with Ingram. 

Ekeler, Drake, and Jones are low mileage at least.

Anyways you can’t go wrong with your picks and focus on rbs early, then wr... in my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

I would probably focus on youth in the early rounds, especially since you've already added a 2021 1st and there's a chance of this season getting cancelled.

A good start might look like this:

1.13 Chris Godwin
2.09 Patrick Mahomes
3.03 D'Andre Swift
3.07 Courtland Sutton
4.09 Deebo Samuel
4.12 Kareem Hunt

Some mid-round guys who seem underrated here (in June ADP) include Aiyuk, Claypool, Burrow, Cousins, Hockenson, Hurst, Gibson, and Bowden.

I would try to get in the first Tyreek Hill if you're not in the top 5, he's definitely the best player there. It's not all about running backs. You still have Henery, Sanders maybe Jacobs, Mixon, or Chubb, in the next round. If you miss out on those guys though you're kind of hair-pinned at RB, but not really. You could still snag Aaron Jones, Ekeler, Drake and Gurley's not dead either. Later on there's David Johnson. Don't be embarrassed to take Marlon Mack. 

People will disagree with me here, but my advice is to avoid rookies until later on. They're overvalued in my humble opinion. Almost always there's a better mid-late 20's option available. I'm choosing Allen Robinson over Juedy or Lamb every time. The rookies to pick late perhaps are McFarland, Moss, Gibson, Van Jefferson or Gandy-Golden.

Another thing too, don't be scared to pick some geezers in the mid-late rounds. There's no shame in starting with a seamless roster mixed with young and old. You'll need players to replace with your future picks anyhow. When your leagemates are taking Denzel Mims or Michael Pittman, buck the trend with Adam Thielen.

That's about it. Other than all that, have fun. Besides winning the money, enjoying the hobby is the most best important thing. So pick the players you like and do what you feel is right. Just don't take a defense before the last round.

I would try to get in the first Tyreek Hill if you're not in the top 5, he's definitely the best player there. It's not all about running backs. You still have Henery, Sanders maybe Jacobs, Mixon, or Chubb, in the next round. If you miss out on those guys though you're kind of hair-pinned at RB, but not really. You could still snag Aaron Jones, Ekeler, Drake and Gurley's not dead either. Later on there's David Johnson. Don't be embarrassed to take Marlon Mack. 

People will disagree with me here, but my advice is to avoid rookies until later on. They're overvalued in my humble opinion. Almost always there's a better mid-late 20's option available. I'm choosing Allen Robinson over Juedy or Lamb every time. The rookies to pick late perhaps are McFarland, Moss, Gibson, Van Jefferson or Gandy-Golden.

Another thing too, don't be scared to pick some geezers in the mid-late rounds. There's no shame in starting with a seamless roster mixed with young and old. You'll need players to replace with your future picks anyhow. When your leagemates are taking Denzel Mims or Michael Pittman, buck the trend with Adam Thielen.

That's about it. Other than all that, have fun. Besides winning the money, enjoying the hobby is the most best important thing. So pick the players you like and do what you feel is right. Just don't take a defense before the last round.
I love the insight thankyou it’s hard not to pick rookies early 

Your roster will be better if you don't pick ANY rookies (because they are so overvalued and have several times the bust rate of players who have already shown they belong in the NFL). You could get a steal, but generally the hype for rookies finds them, particularly in start up leagues not made up of experts and long-timers, picked as if they will be as good among pros as they were among college kids. That's a very rare case.

Godwin and Mahomes to start would be awesome imo as zwk stated. I’m not a big fan of swift or the lions so I’d take dobbins ahead of him without hesitation. With four rookie taxi spots it’d be foolish to not load up on rookies and or future picks. 

Users who are viewing this thread