What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawn Tractor recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Bengalsfan

Footballguy
I’m moving in to a new house that is going to require a riding lawn mower.  I’m looking to spend around $2000 for a lawn tractor and wanted to see if you guys have any recommendations based on your own experience.  I don’t need something like a zero turn mower so please don’t recommend those...don’t need to spend that much money anyway.  Brand and model numbers are appreciated.

thanks in advance for any input.

I'm a craftsman guy so this.  I actually plan on getting the 50" if I can ever get my current craftsman to die of natural causes.   I just can't convince myself to spend over 2.5k for something that replaces something else that's still doing the job.  

I’ve had a John Deere X350 for three years now and like it.  It’s not the bottom of the barrel model or upper tier either.  

I don’t have a lot of hills or sloped terrain.  I have 3/4 acres and it gets the job done in about 45 minutes.  A smooth ride.  

If you buy a lawn tractor I suggest going to a dealer instead of getting one from the big box stores like Lowe’s which are typically lower quality.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a craftsman guy so this.  I actually plan on getting the 50" if I can ever get my current craftsman to die of natural causes.   I just can't convince myself to spend over 2.5k for something that replaces something else that's still doing the job.  
My Craftsman rider just went over 900 hours.   Never dreamed it would last this long.

Depends on lawn type and size.  Lots of trees and smooth lawn I would go with a zero turn.  Hills go with lawn tractor.  Agree with the person above that said go to tractor store instead of big box store, but that will most likely put you over your $2k budget...Also if you go to a JD dealer that specializes in farm equipment probably won't give you time of day to answer your questions...good luck!

I’ve had a John Deere X350 for three years now and like it.  It’s not the bottom of the barrel model or upper tier either.  

I don’t have a lot of hills or sloped terrain.  I have 3/4 acres and it gets the job done in about 45 minutes.  A smooth ride.  

If you buy a lawn tractor I suggest going to a dealer instead of getting one from the big box stores like Lowe’s which are typically lower quality.  
Totally agree with the last part.  When you need service, they will be there for you and not Home Depot.  

I have a Cub Cadet XT-1 with a 42 inch deck, recommended.  They cost around $1750.

I bought a Bolens 22 yrs ago. 17 hp , 42” cut

Ive changed the oil in it like 3 times. Spark plug once.

My wife hung the blade setting handle on a power pole guide wire about 10 yrs ago and bent the hell out of it. 

My yard is rough and hilly, I live in the country. Takes me about an hour per mow

Still going strong 

I have no recommendations, but the Craftsman models are made by MTD, who makes many other brands.  From the wiki page: "Over the years, MTD acquired the Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Craftsman (owned by its minority partner), and Yard-Man brands and/or companies. MTD also private labels for other brands under the "247" model prefix."

The Craftsman brand is owned by Stanley Black and Decker (maker of DeWALT tools, etc.), but all gas powered lawn tools are made by MTD under license.  Prior to the CM brand being sold to SBD in 2018, I don't know who made the gas powered lawn products for Sears.

I live next to my father and we mow a combined 8 acres of lawn. We have two Zturns. Once a week two of us mow the entire thing in 1.5 hours. Same property when I was a kid and we mowed only 3 acres with a Wheel Horse lawn tractor and it took roughly 6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread