Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

HBO Now/Max


Recommended Posts

I signed up for HBO Now a few months ago and was very frustrated how hard it was to find a platform to watch it.  My Samsung TV did not have the app, neither did my old apple TV.  The only thing that worked was my old Amazon fire stick.  I have tried using the fire stick the past few days and all it does is go back and forth from saying anazon and the fire stick on the screen.  It must be broken because I can't get to the menu.

Do I really need to buy the latest Apple TV in order to watch this?  I don't have Roku and I am not even sure what that is.  I am hesitant to buy another Fire Stick after this one crapped out.  Any suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use it on my Firestick with no issues, but it's not that old. I had to side load it, not sure if it's available now or not. I think whenever Prime Day happens that I'm going to get a few new ones anyway. Love them, way more than AppleTV, but the new ones have a remote that controls the TV as well. When they are on sale, it's cheaper to get a whole new one instead of just the remote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I use it on my Firestick with no issues, but it's not that old. I had to side load it, not sure if it's available now or not. I think whenever Prime Day happens that I'm going to get a few new ones anyway. Love them, way more than AppleTV, but the new ones have a remote that controls the TV as well. When they are on sale, it's cheaper to get a whole new one instead of just the remote.

Thanks.  I read that HBO Max is not available on Fire Stick.  Looks like I am just going to get the Apple TV 4K and be done with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless it changed, I don't think it's on Roku yet either.  

I have basically turned my XboxOne into a streaming device because between that, the Roku, and the bluray player, that was the only one that I could get the HBO Max app on.  I think it's be best streaming service for my tastes, so it's that and on my phone for watching the service.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don't Noonan said:

I signed up for HBO Now a few months ago and was very frustrated how hard it was to find a platform to watch it.  My Samsung TV did not have the app, neither did my old apple TV.  The only thing that worked was my old Amazon fire stick.  I have tried using the fire stick the past few days and all it does is go back and forth from saying anazon and the fire stick on the screen.  It must be broken because I can't get to the menu.

Do I really need to buy the latest Apple TV in order to watch this?  I don't have Roku and I am not even sure what that is.  I am hesitant to buy another Fire Stick after this one crapped out.  Any suggestions?

Not trying to be a thread police guy here but we have a thread specified for each of the these streams. I use my PS4 for streaming and my laptop with an HDMI adapter I plug into the TV for streaming service apps I can't get on my PS4. I can also use my phone and don't have any issues. If you have a gaming system then you really shouldn't have to get a new tv as most have the HBO Max on it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DJackson10 said:

Not trying to be a thread police guy here but we have a thread specified for each of the these streams. I use my PS4 for streaming and my laptop with an HDMI adapter I plug into the TV for streaming service apps I can't get on my PS4. I can also use my phone and don't have any issues. If you have a gaming system then you really shouldn't have to get a new tv as most have the HBO Max on it 

I searched for HBO thread but couldn't find it.  My son has Xbox One but keeps it in his room so that won't work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

I searched for HBO thread but couldn't find it.  My son has Xbox One but keeps it in his room so that won't work.

Can you just Chromecast it? I have the Chromecast device plugged into my older Tv and it works great. 

 

Edit: i dont have hbo max,  but the theory would apply if hbo max is streamable to chromecast

Edited by ChiefD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Don't Noonan said:

I searched for HBO thread but couldn't find it.  My son has Xbox One but keeps it in his room so that won't work.

If you have an HDMI adapter just plug that into your laptop and use your TV's HDMI plug. They ranged from $8-20 on amazon for a decent one. I've had mine from my brothers for over 5 yrs right now and love it. Hassel to plug in and out sometimes but very worth it. Cheaper then getting a new TV unless your TV isn't working at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, prosopis said:

I may need to download HBO max to my PS4. Will Max be similar to Go? I am currently using a password from a friend to get Go. Hoping Max will work the same?

HBO Go is literally Max now so no issues. My Go upgraded to Max but HBO was so bad with communicating with who go what I accidentally signed up for HBO MAX with another email account. When I found out when I updated the app on PS4 and Phone I got Max I canceled the sub during my free week from the other email. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DJackson10 said:

If you have an HDMI adapter just plug that into your laptop and use your TV's HDMI plug. They ranged from $8-20 on amazon for a decent one. I've had mine from my brothers for over 5 yrs right now and love it. Hassel to plug in and out sometimes but very worth it. Cheaper then getting a new TV unless your TV isn't working at all. 

Seems complicated and I wouldn't know what cable to get.  To clarify, I am not buying a new TV, just the new Apple TV that has the HBO Max app on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

HBO Go is literally Max now so no issues. My Go upgraded to Max but HBO was so bad with communicating with who go what I accidentally signed up for HBO MAX with another email account. When I found out when I updated the app on PS4 and Phone I got Max I canceled the sub during my free week from the other email. 

When I am in HBO Go now I see a message that this device wont support HBO Max. I have an Amazon fire tv. That is why I am thinking I may have to use the PS4 when July is up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Seems complicated and I wouldn't know what cable to get.  To clarify, I am not buying a new TV, just the new Apple TV that has the HBO Max app on it.

Can you get the hbo max app on your phone? Buy the chromecast thing for $30 and just plug it into your hdmi slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don't Noonan said:

Thanks.  I read that HBO Max is not available on Fire Stick.  Looks like I am just going to get the Apple TV 4K and be done with it.

See the post above. Probably the same thing I did. I had HBO Go already through AT&T so I got HBO Max for free as well. It was a very easy install. There is a downloader app that you can just search for and it was a piece of cake. HBO Max is a little better than HBO Go, a bit more content. If you just like HBO only content then you can just stick with HBO Go. The only thing I use HBO Max for is the new movies every week and their original series. I just setup HBO Max to check it out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Unless it changed, I don't think it's on Roku yet either.  

I have basically turned my XboxOne into a streaming device because between that, the Roku, and the bluray player, that was the only one that I could get the HBO Max app on.  I think it's be best streaming service for my tastes, so it's that and on my phone for watching the service.  

This is exactly what I’ve done.  Watch far more movies, nextflix, amazon prime, etc on my Xbox then I do playing games.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The naming conventions are very confusing, and I think they're in the process of switching things up with the launch of Max. Traditionally, HBO Go was what's known in the industry as a "TV Everywhere" app, which allows existing HBO cable subscribers to access all the channel's content. HBO Now was a standalone ("OTT") app that allowed you to pay HBO directly even if you didn't have a cable sub. But once you were logged in, both apps functioned exactly the same.

My understanding (and I may be wrong about this) is that everything is now being subsumed under HBO Max, which offers the same HBO content along with a bunch of other stuff (Looney Tunes, original programming like that Anna Kendrick show, etc.) And if you already have Go or Now, you can just use that to log into Max. Also, like @stbugs, I was able to get Max for free as an AT&T subscriber.

What I'm not clear on is whether they will continue to support Go/Now, or if everyone will eventually have to move over to Max.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

The naming conventions are very confusing, and I think they're in the process of switching things up with the launch of Max. Traditionally, HBO Go was what's known in the industry as a "TV Everywhere" app, which allows existing HBO cable subscribers to access all the channel's content. HBO Now was a standalone ("OTT") app that allowed you to pay HBO directly even if you didn't have a cable sub. But once you were logged in, both apps functioned exactly the same.

My understanding (and I may be wrong about this) is that everything is now being subsumed under HBO Max, which offers the same HBO content along with a bunch of other stuff (Looney Tunes, original programming like that Anna Kendrick show, etc.) And if you already have Go or Now, you can just use that to log into Max. Also, like @stbugs, I was able to get Max for free as an AT&T subscriber.

What I'm not clear on is whether they will continue to support Go/Now, or if everyone will eventually have to move over to Max.

Go is going away. My app notified me of the date it will end (don't remember the exact date)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, zftcg said:

The naming conventions are very confusing, and I think they're in the process of switching things up with the launch of Max. Traditionally, HBO Go was what's known in the industry as a "TV Everywhere" app, which allows existing HBO cable subscribers to access all the channel's content. HBO Now was a standalone ("OTT") app that allowed you to pay HBO directly even if you didn't have a cable sub. But once you were logged in, both apps functioned exactly the same.

My understanding (and I may be wrong about this) is that everything is now being subsumed under HBO Max, which offers the same HBO content along with a bunch of other stuff (Looney Tunes, original programming like that Anna Kendrick show, etc.) And if you already have Go or Now, you can just use that to log into Max. Also, like @stbugs, I was able to get Max for free as an AT&T subscriber.

What I'm not clear on is whether they will continue to support Go/Now, or if everyone will eventually have to move over to Max.

All the naming confusion is because they wanted to have the HBO brand name front and center because that's where the most exclusive content is, which is understandable, but doesn't help other people figure out why they need to download new apps to get the same content they were already getting. 

And because "well now you get Looney Tunes" isn't a huge selling point in 2020.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another guy here who's very happy with his Xbox One as a streaming platform.  But I wouldn't buy the ~$400 bundles I see in a 5 min search as next gen arrives this fall, I think. 

If you're already in the Apple ecosystem, AppleTV is the clear way to go.  If you're not, AppleTV may still be best but look at an AndroidTV device like Nvidia Shield for about the same price.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, shuke said:

What a cluster####.

I guess my old Samsung TV in the bedroom is too old for the HBOMax app, but HBOGo was working just fine 2 weeks ago.  Now that's not available any more.

 

Same boat here. HBO go also wont download to my fire tv. I ended up getting HBO max through my PS4. For me HBO go disappeared end of July.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, prosopis said:

Same boat here. HBO go also wont download to my fire tv. I ended up getting HBO max through my PS4. For me HBO go disappeared end of July.

Followed the posts upthread on getting the downloader.  I wasn't able to use the link cap'n grunge posted though for the actual download, I used another one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, Payne said:

HBO just dropped the ball so badly here. No Roku. No Firestick. What was wrong with HBO GO? Why the need to change at all? 

Use the Downloader app on Firestick to download HBO Go

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ocram said:

I was able to install the app on my fire stick but not my Vizio TV.  I’m able to cast it though from my iPad and it works really well so will just use that until they get things working.

Yeah, I just stream on the app on my phone and then use a Chromecast to get it on my tv. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't get it on my Roku, can't get it on my Firestick, can't get it on my TV because it's apparently obsolete at 5 years old, can't get it on my iPad because it requires iOS12, can't stream it on the website through the iPad because it auto-launches the app every time I click the link (and the app won't work because I don't have iOS12).

Oh, but at least I can watch it on my 15-year-old desktop machine with Windows 7 on it. :lmao:

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Can't get it on my Roku, can't get it on my Firestick, can't get it on my TV because it's apparently obsolete at 5 years old, can't get it on my iPad because it requires iOS12, can't stream it on the website through the iPad because it auto-launches the app every time I click the link (and the app won't work because I don't have iOS12).

Oh, but at least I can watch it on my 15-year-old desktop machine with Windows 7 on it. :lmao:

You can get it on your fire stick in less than 5 minutes if you read the posts above you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this applies to anyone else or not, but I get access to HBO through my AT&T mobile unlimited plan.  I had been using HBO Go on my Roku, but lost access to it on 8/1 like everyone else.  Since Roku doesn't offer HBO Max yet, I did some searching and discovered that I can access HBO on my Roku through the AT&T TV app.  I just login with my same ATT credentials as before.  The interface isn't nearly as nice, but at least I can still watch HBO.  Hoping that Roku and HBO iron out their differences soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last week, the two nitwits who were in charge of HBO Max got fired. 

HBO Max: Sinking Ship

They are under new leadership now, as they need to be.  

This rollout was absolutely one of the worst media rollouts in the history of rollouts.  It is worse than the rollout for 'Scientology Presents: Battlefield Earth'.  Worse than the rollout for Jeb2016.  Worse than the rollout for Google Glass.  It is the worst ever.   The only reason this piece of #### rollout is not front page news is because of Covid, Trump, Quibi,  and all of us becoming racists over the last month. 

As a streaming platform, HBO Max is great.  They have the best line up of shows; bar none.  Their movie selection is amazingly deep.  Their resources to compete with Netflix, Disney, and whatever else are very sound. God only knows the reason why these dopes decided to get in a pissing match with Amazon and Roku, thus ensuring that their app is not available on many TVs and streaming devices.  I understand that I can use my PS4 or Apple or I could mirror my phone to use this, but most people are not going to go that far in order to watch tv.  It does not matter how good the content is. If it is not easy and natural, average consumers will just be happy watching something else.  All of the other platforms have decent to good content, so despite the fact HBO is the best, nobody ####### cares.  

The two rockheads previously in charge probably thought there was no way to screw this up, I am sure they thought they were going to strongarm their way into the market because they have a ton of great shows and movies.  They were acting as if they have live sports, which is the most valuable resource in media. Well, as we see, that didn't work and now if HBO wants on Roku or Amazon, they are going to have to pay double.  Also, who knows what the landscape is going to be now as the ground shifts as we speak!  The directors of ATT and Warnermedia, who control this clownparade, might not have the appetite to pay that much now that we are entering a worldwide depression, thus erasing HBO Max from existence or maybe getting it folded into something else. 

If you can get HBOMax to work, there is much to love.     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Meatwad Reloaded said:

Last week, the two nitwits who were in charge of HBO Max got fired. 

HBO Max: Sinking Ship

They are under new leadership now, as they need to be.  

This rollout was absolutely one of the worst media rollouts in the history of rollouts.  It is worse than the rollout for 'Scientology Presents: Battlefield Earth'.  Worse than the rollout for Jeb2016.  Worse than the rollout for Google Glass.  It is the worst ever.   The only reason this piece of #### rollout is not front page news is because of Covid, Trump, Quibi,  and all of us becoming racists over the last month. 

As a streaming platform, HBO Max is great.  They have the best line up of shows; bar none.  Their movie selection is amazingly deep.  Their resources to compete with Netflix, Disney, and whatever else are very sound. God only knows the reason why these dopes decided to get in a pissing match with Amazon and Roku, thus ensuring that their app is not available on many TVs and streaming devices.  I understand that I can use my PS4 or Apple or I could mirror my phone to use this, but most people are not going to go that far in order to watch tv.  It does not matter how good the content is. If it is not easy and natural, average consumers will just be happy watching something else.  All of the other platforms have decent to good content, so despite the fact HBO is the best, nobody ####### cares.  

The two rockheads previously in charge probably thought there was no way to screw this up, I am sure they thought they were going to strongarm their way into the market because they have a ton of great shows and movies.  They were acting as if they have live sports, which is the most valuable resource in media. Well, as we see, that didn't work and now if HBO wants on Roku or Amazon, they are going to have to pay double.  Also, who knows what the landscape is going to be now as the ground shifts as we speak!  The directors of ATT and Warnermedia, who control this clownparade, might not have the appetite to pay that much now that we are entering a worldwide depression, thus erasing HBO Max from existence or maybe getting it folded into something else. 

If you can get HBOMax to work, there is much to love.     

I really hope it sticks around because it's catalog is fantastic. I am worried we are headed to a place where any non-Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/Disney original series or movie is basically unavailable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Meatwad Reloaded said:

Last week, the two nitwits who were in charge of HBO Max got fired. 

HBO Max: Sinking Ship

They are under new leadership now, as they need to be.  

This rollout was absolutely one of the worst media rollouts in the history of rollouts.  It is worse than the rollout for 'Scientology Presents: Battlefield Earth'.  Worse than the rollout for Jeb2016.  Worse than the rollout for Google Glass.  It is the worst ever.   The only reason this piece of #### rollout is not front page news is because of Covid, Trump, Quibi,  and all of us becoming racists over the last month. 

As a streaming platform, HBO Max is great.  They have the best line up of shows; bar none.  Their movie selection is amazingly deep.  Their resources to compete with Netflix, Disney, and whatever else are very sound. God only knows the reason why these dopes decided to get in a pissing match with Amazon and Roku, thus ensuring that their app is not available on many TVs and streaming devices.  I understand that I can use my PS4 or Apple or I could mirror my phone to use this, but most people are not going to go that far in order to watch tv.  It does not matter how good the content is. If it is not easy and natural, average consumers will just be happy watching something else.  All of the other platforms have decent to good content, so despite the fact HBO is the best, nobody ####### cares.  

The two rockheads previously in charge probably thought there was no way to screw this up, I am sure they thought they were going to strongarm their way into the market because they have a ton of great shows and movies.  They were acting as if they have live sports, which is the most valuable resource in media. Well, as we see, that didn't work and now if HBO wants on Roku or Amazon, they are going to have to pay double.  Also, who knows what the landscape is going to be now as the ground shifts as we speak!  The directors of ATT and Warnermedia, who control this clownparade, might not have the appetite to pay that much now that we are entering a worldwide depression, thus erasing HBO Max from existence or maybe getting it folded into something else. 

If you can get HBOMax to work, there is much to love.     

All they really need to do to correct it is add Roku and Fire stick apps. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nowadays I don't really care much about catching things right away. So I cycle through the premiums, I dumped Netflix a few months ago and HBO last month. In the meantime I've found tons of great programming on Prime that had flown under my radar. Once I get through that, I'll cycle back in to Netflix or HBO. I have like five ROKU tvs now. They are so simple and most everything just works and all do wifi, so all I need is a power plug, no matter where I place my tv. I won't cycle back to HBO until I can get it seamlessly through ROKU or Prime (which works flawlessly under ROKU). And if HBO takes more than  month or two, I'll re-sign up for Netflix and cycle through all their new (to me) content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...