What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post Cool Maps Here (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
I have ALWAYS been a map geek.  In fact, when other kids were reading the comics at the breakfast table, I had the Rand McNally or Thomas Guide open.  I even drew my own, unique maps.  Hundreds of them.  It started with islands with mountains and rivers, but ultimately I was doing detailed street maps... from scratch.

Eventually, I became a Geography major in college.  Still love looking at maps.  Anyone else?

Here's one I found particularly interesting, especially since I live in the area.  And hate that I am around so many damn people.  I want to move to a smaller town in Texas or the South somewhere.

States with Less Population than Los Angeles County

Post yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocking map and one of the reasons I can't stand a guy like John Oliver preaching the sins of American when his country basically imported their cottage industry and established slavery here and how they have a history of war mongering.  The worst in the history of the world.

Here is a map of ALL of the countries in the world that England has invaded.  

Here is a map of the countries that England has never invaded.

The next time one of your English friends starts ripping into America just show em these maps.

Shocking map and one of the reasons I can't stand a guy like John Oliver preaching the sins of American when his country basically imported their cottage industry and established slavery here and how they have a history of war mongering.  The worst in the history of the world.

Here is a map of ALL of the countries in the world that England has invaded.  

Here is a map of the countries that England has never invaded.

The next time one of your English friends starts ripping into America just show em these maps.
You have obviously not watched much if any of john oliver.  He regularly blasts england for it's colonial path.

The longest straight line path that can be sailed on earth.  From Pakistan to the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia - 19,939.6 miles.  This one is a little difficult to visualize as a straight line, but here is an animation showing it with a rotating globe and here is a short article from Popular Mechanics 

ETA - for you ultra nerds, here is a link to the paper explaining the algorithm used to prove this
Longest straight line land travel: https://twitter.com/amazingmap/status/1270837755199795204?s=21

i am not a map guy, but love history.  i love looking at pictures of old cities and seeing how they have changed.  one of my favorite things to see; however, is the hall of maps in the vatican museum.  done roughly 500 years ago, it’s amazingly accurate even today, considering the lack of technology.  i highly recommend visiting.  best part is the map of sicily, painted upside down as if you were approaching it from Rome.

https://vaticantips.com/the-gallery-of-the-maps/

My wife and I try to find local artist drawn maps of each country we travel to. We usually find them.  They are easy to transport and lightweight (we typically travel with backpacks only) And they look great in frames around the house and remind us of our adventures.
That is an awesome idea

My wife and I try to find local artist drawn maps of each country we travel to. We usually find them.  They are easy to transport and lightweight (we typically travel with backpacks only) And they look great in frames around the house and remind us of our adventures.
We try to find local artists with transportable pictures.  My kid has some spraypaint artistry from Rome (he still loves those).  I have a Ponte Vecchio drawing mounted, etc.

Never looked for a local mapmaker, though.

I think you guys will like this game:  https://www.geoguessr.com/  Basically, you start somewhere in the 360 degree version of Google maps and you need to explore around and then take your best guess where you are on the map.
I get lost in geoguessr every once in a while. Hate it when they drop you in podunk Russia.  It's depressing and converting Cyrillic will kill a buzz.

Pro Tips 

• Always be looking for identifying highway signs.
  • Do they drive on the left-hand side or right?  Left-handed lanes = UK, Australia, South Africa, and Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread