Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Footballguys Subscriber Contest is LIVE


Recommended Posts

this is the first year in a long time where i didnt really tinker much. just threw my team together. basically randomly clicked buttons until i came up with 30/$250 lol. didnt even put any effort into lining up WR byes this year...feel kinda dumb about gostkowski. i didnt think he was healthy enough to start the season or else hes obviously a must own. anyway here goes... #30playersforlyfe #bigrosters

 

burrow/9   $11

cousins/7  $8 

darnold/11  $7

carr/6   $7

 

3 or 4 meh qbs is how i roll. didnt feel like there were many must owns in the qbs. how do people feel about cousins vs minshew?

 

CEH/10   $27

Conner/8   $26

Jacobs/6   $23

Moss/11   $10

Gibson/8   $9

Thompson/7   $5

 

I IMMEDIATELY REGRET THIS DECISION! i think moss is pretty bad here. absolutely should have put that salary towards wr instead as my wrs are garbage. i think at some point ya kinda gotta be like if i cant get through the season at rb with ceh/conner/jacobs as well as some backup in thomspon and gibson its just not gonna be my year. definitely gonna switch him out for a wr during the free agency period...gibson a must own?

 

MJJ/5   $13

Jeudy/8  $12

Williams/11   $12

Campbell/7   $7

Lazard/5   $7

Cobb/8   $6

Gage/10   $5

D. Robinson/10   $4

Smith/6    $3

Edwards/6   $3

 

i know i say this every year but THIS is the worst group of wrs ive ever had lol.  week 8 wrs were the toughest for me (and i assume everyone else). ended up with cobb and jeudy. also loved a million other guys like boykin/sims/isabella/washington/even snead. definitely need another guy or two here. edwards a must own?

 

jarwin/10   $9

j. smith/7   $9

ebron/8  $8

herndon/11   $7

 

dont love or hate this group. 4 meh te is my style. just hope to get enough catches each week to advance. didnt think there were any must owns at te and i feel like literally any strategy is fine this year.

 

piniero/hopkins/sloman

falcons/lions/raiders

no gostkowski #feelsbadman

 

ok id love to hear peoples thoughts. good luck everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, sooted72 said:

this is the first year in a long time where i didnt really tinker much. just threw my team together. basically randomly clicked buttons until i came up with 30/$250 lol. didnt even put any effort into lining up WR byes this year...feel kinda dumb about gostkowski. i didnt think he was healthy enough to start the season or else hes obviously a must own. anyway here goes... #30playersforlyfe #bigrosters

burrow/9   $11
cousins/7  $8 
darnold/11  $7
carr/6   $7

3 or 4 meh qbs is how i roll. didnt feel like there were many must owns in the qbs. how do people feel about cousins vs minshew?
I think 4 QB's is overkill.  You are guaranteed to have 3 players and at least $22 on your bench every week.  Contest data is available going back 13 years.  Of those, 1 winner had 4 QB's, 2 winners had 3 QB's, and 10 winners had 2 QB's.  As for the question about Cousins vs Minshew, I choose Cousins.

CEH/10   $27
Conner/8   $26
Jacobs/6   $23
Moss/11   $10
Gibson/8   $9
Thompson/7   $5

I IMMEDIATELY REGRET THIS DECISION! i think moss is pretty bad here. absolutely should have put that salary towards wr instead as my wrs are garbage. i think at some point ya kinda gotta be like if i cant get through the season at rb with ceh/conner/jacobs as well as some backup in thomspon and gibson its just not gonna be my year. definitely gonna switch him out for a wr during the free agency period...gibson a must own?
You have the prices for Conner & Jacobs reversed.  I like this group alot.  I own CEH, Jacobs, Moss, and Gibson.  I wanted Thompson, but had to settle for Gore.  You should be getting at least 1 weekly flex from this group.  And yes, Gibson is basically a must own.  It's not that he will be great - it's that IF he does and you don't have him, you are playing catch up. 

MJJ/5   $13
Jeudy/8  $12
Williams/11   $12
Campbell/7   $7
Lazard/5   $7
Cobb/8   $6
Gage/10   $5
D. Robinson/10   $4
Smith/6    $3
Edwards/6   $3

i know i say this every year but THIS is the worst group of wrs ive ever had lol.  week 8 wrs were the toughest for me (and i assume everyone else). ended up with cobb and jeudy. also loved a million other guys like boykin/sims/isabella/washington/even snead. definitely need another guy or two here. edwards a must own?
Did you start clicking boxes from the bottom of the entry form and stopped when you counted to 10?:D
You only need 2 of these guys to fall into the end zone with the ball in their hands each week, but I wouldn't expect monster games.  Edwards stood out as the cheapest WR with a clear path to playing time.

jarwin/10   $9
j. smith/7   $9
ebron/8  $8
herndon/11   $7

dont love or hate this group. 4 meh te is my style. just hope to get enough catches each week to advance. didnt think there were any must owns at te and i feel like literally any strategy is fine this year.
We spent exactly the same ($33) on 4 TE's, but I chose Gesicki, Goedert, Herndon, and Akins.  Barring injury, this group should get you plenty of flex scores.  I think I like your quartet better than mine, now that I look at them.  Time will tell.

piniero/hopkins/sloman
Pineiro scared me away, but I am a fan of the cheap 3 kicker theory.

falcons/lions/raiders
Also like the cheap D strategy.

no gostkowski #feelsbadman
ok id love to hear peoples thoughts. good luck everyone!  And good luck to you too!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, Hot Sauce Guy said:

QB - Matt Ryan - 16
QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 11
QB - Philip Rivers - 8
RB - Derrick Henry - 30
RB - Kareem Hunt - 17
RB - Tarik Cohen - 14
RB - Zack Moss - 10
RB - Chase Edmonds - 8
RB - Benny Snell - 4
WR - JuJu Smith-Schuster - 23
WR - Deebo Samuel - 12
WR - Christian Kirk - 12
WR - Preston Williams - 12
WR - Anthony Miller - 10
WR - Justin Jefferson - 9
TE - Zach Ertz - 20
TE - Blake Jarwin - 9
TE - Jonnu Smith - 9
PK - Mike Badgley - 3
PK - Joey Slye - 3
PK - Stephen Gostkowski - 2
TD - New York Giants - 2
TD - Arizona Cardinals - 2
TD - Cincinnati Bengals - 2
TD - Las Vegas Raiders - 2

QB - Ryan, Ben, Rivers
You spend $27 on your top 2, and still feel the need for a 3rd?  Maybe you just couldn't resist Rivers and his 2.7 rushing yards per game?

RB - Henry, Hunt, Cohen, Moss, Edmonds, Snell
The backbone of any team in this contest are the RB's.  Good thing you chose 1 starter and 5 backups.  Praying for injuries, I see.

WR - Juju, Deebo, Kirk, Preston, Miller, Jefferson
Everyone seems to go either stud-filled or deep at WR, but you managed to do neither.  Props to you!

TE - Ertz, Jarwin, Smith
I hope you love this trio, because you'll be getting your 2 weekly flexes here.

PK - Badgley, Slye, Gostkowski
You think your sly taking a week 13 kicker?

TD - NYG, ARI, CIN, LV
I'm all for cheap ones, but you really need 4?
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheWinz said:

QB - Ryan, Ben, Rivers
You spend $27 on your top 2, and still feel the need for a 3rd?  Maybe you just couldn't resist Rivers and his 2.7 rushing yards per game?

nah - I just felt the need for insurance. I got knocked out last year by having 2 of something. One got hurt & then the BYE hit. 💀 

1 minute ago, TheWinz said:

RB - Henry, Hunt, Cohen, Moss, Edmonds, Snell
The backbone of any team in this contest are the RB's.  Good thing you chose 1 starter and 5 backups.  Praying for injuries, I see.

WR - Juju, Deebo, Kirk, Preston, Miller, Jefferson
Everyone seems to go either stud-filled or deep at WR, but you managed to do neither.  Props to you!

TE - Ertz, Jarwin, Smith
I hope you love this trio, because you'll be getting your 2 weekly flexes here.

PK - Badgley, Slye, Gostkowski
You think your sly taking a week 13 kicker?

TD - NYG, ARI, CIN, LV
I'm all for cheap ones, but you really need 4?
 

Hey, that 4th D/ST is the difference between our teams! 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My unique "stud combo" is RB A Jones, WR C Kupp, TE H Henry... only one other team has that combo... his an 18-player stud lineup vs. my 22-player lineup with more mid-range guys.

I went with the crowd by having the most owned player at RB (Gibson), WR (Edwards), TE (Herndon), and K (Gostkowski).

I'm excited for my QB combo of R Wilson and D Jones this year, 54 others felt the same.

My biggest deviation from the averages is at TE... I spent $59 vs. average $28 (and last year spent $54 vs. average $30)... and my biggest relative underspend is at RB (as intended... $73 vs. $88 average).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stray Doug said:

My unique "stud combo" is RB A Jones, WR C Kupp, TE H Henry... only one other team has that combo... his an 18-player stud lineup vs. my 22-player lineup with more mid-range guys.

I went with the crowd by having the most owned player at RB (Gibson), WR (Edwards), TE (Herndon), and K (Gostkowski).

I'm excited for my QB combo of R Wilson and D Jones this year, 54 others felt the same.

My biggest deviation from the averages is at TE... I spent $59 vs. average $28 (and last year spent $54 vs. average $30)... and my biggest relative underspend is at RB (as intended... $73 vs. $88 average).

My unique stud combo is WR Adam Humphries, TE Jordan Akins, and CIN D

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Agreed.  But nothing I (or anyone) can do without a live scoring data feed :sadbanana: 

I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.  Are there live scoring data feeds that cost money?  If so, how much?

Edited by TheWinz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.  Are there live scoring data feeds that cost money?  If so, how much?

Yes, but they are really expensive.  This is the cheapest one I have seen:  https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/feed-pricing/

Ranges from $99 a month for post game data and $1999 a month for live data.  So Sept to Feb is 6 months which means $600 for the NFL season for post game data and $12,000 for real time data - both of these options are too expensive for our purposes.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Yes, but they are really expensive.  This is the cheapest one I have seen:  https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/feed-pricing/

Ranges from $99 a month for post game data and $1999 a month for live data.  So Sept to Feb is 6 months which means $600 for the NFL season for post game data and $12,000 for real time data - both of these options are too expensive for our purposes.

So the are fudging at beat?

Quote

Running a tight ship on a limited budget? No problem, we offer the best value in the industry. First off, if your usage is strictly personal/private, access is extremely affordable or even FREE! Otherwise, you can choose your level of commitment based on your need and budget, per league. There's also no need to pick and choose, you get ALL available feeds.

 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Not sure what you are saying BnB, but this usage is not personal/private.

i would consider it that since it's not for profit.  

At the very least, if you can't provide everyone a personal score, you could probably track the cut line and stay within the TOS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

@Steeler have you tried https://static.nfl.com/liveupdate/scorestrip/ss.xml

Was reading somewhere that if you substitute static for www, it works.  Again, I am an idiot and really have no idea what I am talking about.

This is the old-school way to get the games for the week, but I was then using this information to lookup the player data.  Short answer is that this is only a piece of the puzzle and doesn't provide the individual player data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Steeler said:

This is the old-school way to get the games for the week, but I was then using this information to lookup the player data.  Short answer is that this is only a piece of the puzzle and doesn't provide the individual player data.

Wish I knew more about this...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dbc925 said:

Sorry, I’m going to say it.

This contest is significantly less fun without live scoring.

 

2 hours ago, Steeler said:

Agreed.  But nothing I (or anyone) can do without a live scoring data feed :sadbanana: 

It's kind of stunning that FBG hasn't done this already. I get that it hasn't been needed, but every FF site has live scoring now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stray Doug said:

https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/data-feeds/

https://profootballapi.com/

If either of those can provide a usable feed (both have free trials) perhaps we could take up a collection to cover the cost, or petition FBG to help us out?

10,000 contest entries X 1 week free trial = 10,000 free weeks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm late to the party, and I missed Joe's Easter egg offer, but here's my roster.  If I make it that far, week 11 might be a little dicey.

 

QB - Tom Brady - TB/13 - $15

QB - Kirk Cousins - MIN/7 - $8

 

RB - Josh Jacobs - LV/6 - $26

RB - Zack Moss - BUF/11 - $10

RB - Ryquel Armstead - JAX/7 - $8

RB - Chris Thompson - JAX/7 - $5

RB - Frank Gore - NYJ/11 - $3

 

WR - Calvin Ridley - ATL/10 - $21

WR - Davante Parker - MIA/11 - $17

WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/10 - $16

WR - Preston Williams - MIA/11 - $12

WR - Golden Tate - NYG/11 - $9

WR - Larry Fitzgerald - ARI/8 - $7

WR - Corey Davis - TEN/7 - $6

WR - Cole Beasley - BUF/11 - $5

WR - Bryan Edwards - LV/6 - $3

 

TE - Darren Waller - LV/6 - $17

TE - Mike Gesicki - MIA/11 - $12

TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $11

TE - Chris Herndon - NYJ/11 - $7

 

PK - Harrison Butker - KC/10- $6

PK - Wil Lutz - NO/6 - $5

PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/8 - $3

PK - Stephen Gostkowski - TEN/7 - $2

 

TD - Minnesota Vikings - MIN/4 - $7

TD - Los Angeles Rams - LAR/9 - $4

TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/7 - $3

TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/6 - $3

TD - Jacksonville Jaguars - JAX/7 - $2

 

Total value: 250

Edited by wollac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So going into tomorrow night I'm at 162.40 + (AJ Brown/Fant - 10.20/12.70) + (Gostkowski - 6.00)

Quick hit thoughts.

QB - Murray is the goods and I've very happy I took him.  Happy with Burrow as a Bengals fan - should provide okay bye week numbers but I don't know that he's going to get used that much - but he'll be getting better and better.  Fitzpatrick - so far looks like a waste of $4)

RB - CEH looks great of course.  Aaron Jones seems fine.  Moss put up points in a fluky way - but he did find the end zone and hopefully that will lead to more opportunities.  Gibson - not so hot.  Thompson looking like a wholesale waste.  Gore...was the leading rusher, again for $3 I'm looking for the odd lineup appearance and I think he is on track to give me that.

WR - Boyd was a bit of a let down though when it was money time in the 4th quarter Burrow starting finding him so not giving up hope there.  Marvin Jones had pedestrian number but 8 targets so that's good.  Lazard looks good - but I mean heck any GB receiver looked good.  Trequan an after thought in a high scoring game :(  Edwards a ghost and maybe another waste of low dollars.  Now Robbie Anderson - excited about that for this contest.  Feeling very good about that unpopular selection.

TE - Waller and Herndon put up respectable numbers.  Eifert...invisible in a Jags upset win...not loving that.

PK - Badgely killed my Bengals.  He's looking like a worthy investment.  Sloman...yeah still gonna worry about him for a bit.

DEF - A 6, a 2, and a 0.  Not an auspicious start to say the least.  My Bengals did stuff the run a lot - goal line style defense held up very well and generally the tackling was the best I've seen in a while.  Much improved.  Carolina putting up a goose egg :kicksrock:

Still to be heard from:  Fant, AJ Brown and Gostkowski.  Feeling like I got more stiffs on this team than I would like.

-QG

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stray Doug said:

https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/data-feeds/

https://profootballapi.com/

If either of those can provide a usable feed (both have free trials) perhaps we could take up a collection to cover the cost, or petition FBG to help us out?

I contacted both sites.  I really don't think this endeavor qualifies for the free version on mysportsfeed but we'll see I guess.  profootballapi at $20 per month seems reasonable and it only has a 1 minute delay in making the data available through their service.  I'll keep you guys posted.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, QuizGuy66 said:

So going into tomorrow night I'm at 162.40 + (AJ Brown/Fant - 10.20/12.70) + (Gostkowski - 6.00)

Quick hit thoughts.

QB - Murray is the goods and I've very happy I took him.  Happy with Burrow as a Bengals fan - should provide okay bye week numbers but I don't know that he's going to get used that much - but he'll be getting better and better.  Fitzpatrick - so far looks like a waste of $4)

RB - CEH looks great of course.  Aaron Jones seems fine.  Moss put up points in a fluky way - but he did find the end zone and hopefully that will lead to more opportunities.  Gibson - not so hot.  Thompson looking like a wholesale waste.  Gore...was the leading rusher, again for $3 I'm looking for the odd lineup appearance and I think he is on track to give me that.

WR - Boyd was a bit of a let down though when it was money time in the 4th quarter Burrow starting finding him so not giving up hope there.  Marvin Jones had pedestrian number but 8 targets so that's good.  Lazard looks good - but I mean heck any GB receiver looked good.  Trequan an after thought in a high scoring game :(  Edwards a ghost and maybe another waste of low dollars.  Now Robbie Anderson - excited about that for this contest.  Feeling very good about that unpopular selection.

TE - Waller and Herndon put up respectable numbers.  Eifert...invisible in a Jags upset win...not loving that.

PK - Badgely killed my Bengals.  He's looking like a worthy investment.  Sloman...yeah still gonna worry about him for a bit.

DEF - A 6, a 2, and a 0.  Not an auspicious start to say the least.  My Bengals did stuff the run a lot - goal line style defense held up very well and generally the tackling was the best I've seen in a while.  Much improved.  Carolina putting up a goose egg :kicksrock:

Still to be heard from:  Fant, AJ Brown and Gostkowski.  Feeling like I got more stiffs on this team than I would like.

-QG

 

Nice review. Not even 1 full week into the season and I feel like my team is weak as hell and I lost a player to an ACL for the year. Not great Bob. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steeler said:

I contacted both sites.  I really don't think this endeavor qualifies for the free version on mysportsfeed but we'll see I guess.  profootballapi at $20 per month seems reasonable and it only has a 1 minute delay in making the data available through their service.  I'll keep you guys posted.

This is what I was going to do or suggest you do.  At least for the opportunity to let the mysportsfeed people understand that you're not doing this to make money, and to see where that leads the conversation.  

Thanks for doing this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jarwin was #13 most owned player. 

If this was a cut week there would be the following MNF exposure of significance:

QB Ben 23% Lock 9% D Jones 7% Tannehill 5%

RB Conner 23% Lindsay 11% Henry 10% Snell 8% Barkley 6% Gordon 2%

WR Jeudy 15% AJ Brown 8% Shepard 8% D Johnson 8% JuJu 7% Sutton 6% Slayton 4% Claypool 4% C Davis 3% Tate 3% Humphries 1% Hamler 1%

TE J Smith 14% Ebron 14% Fant 12% Engram 3% McDonald 2%

K Gostkowski 23% Boswell 22% McManus 4%

DST TEN 18% PIT 10% NYG 3% DEN 3%

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Nice review. Not even 1 full week into the season and I feel like my team is weak as hell and I lost a player to an ACL for the year. Not great Bob. 

Prognosis does not look good for Jarwin.  He is the 2nd most common TE after Herndon, but on the bright side, you still have Gesicki, Rudolph, and Akins.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't remember seeing numbers of entries by team size, so here goes...

18 - 2992 (29%)
19 - 1381 (14%)
20 - 1193 (12%)
21 - 943 (9%)
22 - 882 (9%)
23 - 732 (7%)
24 - 555 (5%)
25 - 412 (4%)
26 - 332 (3%)
27 - 266 (3%)
28 - 171 (2%)
29 - 141 (1%)
30 - 226 (2%)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

@Joe Bryant @David Dodds any connection on a live scoring script that @Steeler can use?  I love this contest but doesn’t seem as fun without live scoring.  I’m willing to throw a few bucks with others. 

Sorry. Not that I know of. We've looked at it too but it's so expensive it mostly only makes sense for the companies that are bringing in a ton of revenue through contests. For us, the 35,000 contest is pure icing on the cake. We felt it was best to pour everything into the $35,000 prize pool than to reduce the prize pool and try to add live scoring. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Sorry. Not that I know of. We've looked at it too but it's so expensive it mostly only makes sense for the companies that are bringing in a ton of revenue through contests. For us, the 35,000 contest is pure icing on the cake. We felt it was best to pour everything into the $35,000 prize pool than to reduce the prize pool and try to add live scoring. 

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully a script live scoring company will cut @Steeler a break.  🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Losing Jarwin sucks. Glad I took 3 TE, but not happy about losing one week 1. 

Ah well. 

I’d imagine there’s a ton of 2 TE lineups even prior to the Jarwin injury. 
 

I went with Kittle, Andrews, Doyle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...