What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Subscriber Contest is LIVE (2 Viewers)

Expected schedule change officially announced.  TEN vs PIT now week 7.  BAL vs PIT now week 8.  BAL bye now Week 7.

-QG

FBG should give the contest a COVID BYE week. No eliminations. Who’s with me?! ;)  

*ETA this was a joke folks. A poorly expressed one at that. Bad luck happens. I just wasn’t ready to lose yet. :cry:  

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ Brown, Shepherd, Lazard, Bryan Edwards all out - my WR corps has gotten way thin :(

I have only Boyd, M Jones, R Anderson and Trequan left :scared:

-QG
yeah im with ya. between the cheap guys i feel like i nailed that got hurt (parris, lazard, gage) and the guys i missed on (my 3 most expernsive wrs) my already-the-saddest-collection-of-wrs-ive-ever-had is even worse. i feel like im not going to be around much longer.

yeah im with ya. between the cheap guys i feel like i nailed that got hurt (parris, lazard, gage) and the guys i missed on (my 3 most expernsive wrs) my already-the-saddest-collection-of-wrs-ive-ever-had is even worse. i feel like im not going to be around much longer.
Say what you will, but at least you have gotten usable scores by at least 2 of them each week.  You are averaging 21 per week from your WR1 and 17 from your WR2.  Hang in there!

This guy might not make make the cut:

• Ben Roethlisberger
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Derrick Henry
  • Joe Mixon
  • James Conner 
  • Raheem Mostert
  • Sony Michel
  • Carlos Hyde
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • DeVante Parker
  • Sterling Shepard
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Allen Lazard
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Eric Ebron
  • Younghoe Koo
  • New England Patriots 
  • Minnesota Vikings 

• Ben Roethlisberger
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Derrick Henry
  • Joe Mixon
  • James Conner 
  • Raheem Mostert
  • Sony Michel
  • Carlos Hyde
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • DeVante Parker
  • Sterling Shepard
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Allen Lazard
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Eric Ebron
  • Younghoe Koo
  • New England Patriots 
  • Minnesota Vikings 
That is brutal. You could not do that in a million years if you were trying to do it.  

• Ben Roethlisberger
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Derrick Henry
  • Joe Mixon
  • James Conner 
  • Raheem Mostert
  • Sony Michel
  • Carlos Hyde
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • DeVante Parker
  • Sterling Shepard
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Allen Lazard
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Eric Ebron
  • Younghoe Koo
  • New England Patriots 
  • Minnesota Vikings 
Just 4,499 others to beat this week now. Nice.   :moneybag:

Say what you will, but at least you have gotten usable scores by at least 2 of them each week.  You are averaging 21 per week from your WR1 and 17 from your WR2.  Hang in there!
yeah i mean the skys not falling yet or anything. just wish i had 1 single wr i feel confident in rn.

kajaet said:

• Ben Roethlisberger
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Derrick Henry
  • Joe Mixon
  • James Conner 
  • Raheem Mostert
  • Sony Michel
  • Carlos Hyde
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • DeVante Parker
  • Sterling Shepard
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Allen Lazard
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Eric Ebron
  • Younghoe Koo
  • New England Patriots 
  • Minnesota Vikings 
:eek:

-QG

Hot Sauce Guy said:
FBG should give the contest a COVID BYE week. No eliminations. Who’s with me?! 
Hey, I tried to make a case to @Joe Bryant for bigger rosters this year because... 2020 is gonna 2020..... but I don't think I ever got much traction. 

Sorry but no. We went to a ton of work this year to make the rules hyper clear to handle cases just like this. We fully get the frustration, but changing rules after 3 games can't happen.  
Oh I know - that was said 100% tongue-in-cheek.  I shoulda used a ;)  emoji. 

Signed,

-DerickHenryJJSSOwner 

:(  

Oh I know - that was said 100% tongue-in-cheek.  I shoulda used a ;)  emoji. 

Signed,

-DerickHenryJJSSOwner 

:(  
Thank you. The contest is a huge financial loser for us. We do it because it's fun. But the only thing worse than losing a bunch of money on the contest would be having what we hoped would be happy customers turn unhappy with how it's run. 

Thanks. 

Thank you. The contest is a huge financial loser for us. We do it because it's fun. But the only thing worse than losing a bunch of money on the contest would be having what we hoped would be happy customers turn unhappy with how it's run. 

Thanks. 
Super happy customer despite my premature exit from the contest. 

I subscribe to FBG for the great content and to support a site I love. The contest is just a bonus.

As for the early exit, It’s the same as if both JJSS & Henry got hurt & missed the week. Next year I shall diversify even further and will win this thing! :pickle:  

Thanks. 
I’d think you do it because you have some data that shows the $35k you pay in winnings is gained back by subscription fees. If it’s such a money loser, I personally think you could change the 1st place payout next year from $20k to $10k, saving yourselves a chunk of change, and I doubt you’d have any less folks enter the contest. Just spitballin'....

Meanwhile Cam is OUT for week 4 :(

KC/NE won't be played Sunday - but playing Monday or Tuesday not ruled out.

Side note - thanks to Joe for doing his best especially in terms of this year's contest and for spelling it all out in the rules ahead of time.

-QG

I’d think you do it because you have some data that shows the $35k you pay in winnings is gained back by subscription fees. If it’s such a money loser, I personally think you could change the 1st place payout next year from $20k to $10k, saving yourselves a chunk of change, and I doubt you’d have any less folks enter the contest. Just spitballin'....
Until they start paying the teams that are booted from the contest prior to week 8, the payout will not affect me.😰

Sorry, but you think I'm smarter than I am. It's impossible to say for sure but I feel strongly it costs way more than it makes us. It's more a good will thing and I like that. And it's hard to put a price on good will. We'll see how this year goes. 

Sorry, but you think I'm smarter than I am. It's impossible to say for sure but I feel strongly it costs way more than it makes us. It's more a good will thing and I like that. And it's hard to put a price on good will. We'll see how this year goes. 
I guess I was thinking the results of your surveys you do might indicate what % of people get a FBG subscription because of the 35k contest. 
either way, if it costs you too much, and you’re a business trying to pay its bills and stay afloat, drop 1st to 10k and I bet no one balks. And, besides, the "$25,000 FBG Contest" still sounds like a freakin boatload of money and it’s a nice round(er) number than 35k :)

all good either way. Been a subscriber since the beginning and happy to support the cause. 

kajaet said:

• Ben Roethlisberger
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Derrick Henry
  • Joe Mixon  --- now questionable
  • James Conner 
  • Raheem Mostert
  • Sony Michel -- game may be postponed
  • Carlos Hyde -- limited in practice Friday and Carson may play
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • DeVante Parker
  • Sterling Shepard
  • Sammy Watkins  -- game may be postponed
  • Allen Lazard
  • Dallas Goedert
  • Eric Ebron
  • Younghoe Koo
  • New England Patriots   -- game may be postponed
  • Minnesota Vikings 
Oof - shades of my single final 250 team (that finished 250th)

‐QG

I guess I was thinking the results of your surveys you do might indicate what % of people get a FBG subscription because of the 35k contest. 
either way, if it costs you too much, and you’re a business trying to pay its bills and stay afloat, drop 1st to 10k and I bet no one balks. And, besides, the "$25,000 FBG Contest" still sounds like a freakin boatload of money and it’s a nice round(er) number than 35k :)

all good either way. Been a subscriber since the beginning and happy to support the cause. 
Hey thats my extra $10000 you're giving away

McKinnon is going to get some receptions. I'm not sure he'll be your best player at the position any given Sunday, and if he is, that could merely be a statement about how bad the rest of your lineup is. :lol:    I like McKinnon, and think he will contribute to the Niners success this season. But he's after Debo, Kittle and maybe Ayuk in the target pecking order if things go as planned. He'll likely be in the mix for carries, but he's expected to primarily be the 3rd down receiving back, which is hard to get league-winning production out of in a best ball 
McKinnon is the ONLY player who counted for me all three weeks and primed to make it a 4th.  :bag:

7 players counted twice including CEH, Connor, Lamb, Sanders, Herndon, Giants D and Gostkowski.

13 counted once - What’s up with that Jacobs?

9 haven’t seen daylight. Moss, Unicorn and Irv... I’m looking at you!

Although I agree they can't make any changes now, they could easily have proposed one of three options at the start of all this, since we knew it was coming at some point.  I tried in my leagues as well, but forethought is hard!!

Option 1 - any player affected by covid just takes his AVERAGE points per game to date

Option 2 - similar to above, but instead of the full average, a chosen %, such has 75%. of his average

Option 3 - any player affected by covid takes the score of his last game (not last "week" due to byes).  

None of these are ideal, but I would surely take them over the ZEROES many of us are surely going to get this week and many will continue to get throughout the season.  All we need is a chip and chair....

All of that being said, not complaining.  LOVE the contest.  It's one of the main reasons I keep joining each year.  None of this is in your control.  Maybe keep it in mind if things like this ever arise again in future years.

​

Although I agree they can't make any changes now, they could easily have proposed one of three options at the start of all this, since we knew it was coming at some point.  I tried in my leagues as well, but forethought is hard!!

Option 1 - any player affected by covid just takes his AVERAGE points per game to date

Option 2 - similar to above, but instead of the full average, a chosen %, such has 75%. of his average

Option 3 - any player affected by covid takes the score of his last game (not last "week" due to byes).  

None of these are ideal, but I would surely take them over the ZEROES many of us are surely going to get this week and many will continue to get throughout the season.  All we need is a chip and chair....

All of that being said, not complaining.  LOVE the contest.  It's one of the main reasons I keep joining each year.  None of this is in your control.  Maybe keep it in mind if things like this ever arise again in future years.

​
They chose Option 4 -- tell everyone before the contest to design your lineup to prepare for possible missing players. Why should a team with a Covid-affected player get a score when a team with CMC, Thomas, Goedert or any of a dozen other missing players doesn't?

They chose Option 4 -- tell everyone before the contest to design your lineup to prepare for possible missing players. Why should a team with a Covid-affected player get a score when a team with CMC, Thomas, Goedert or any of a dozen other missing players doesn't?
Agreed. The existing rules are better than any of the options suggested by  bkterps

I’ve been quite lucky to avoid the injury bug so far and have been rolling along quite well.  But looking at my roster now I likely won’t get past week 7 given the Baltimore bye week change.  Planned the byes out quite carefully but I’ll be missing 2 of my top 3 RBs and 2 of my top 3 WRs from a thin cast that week. 

Not disagreeing with you or agreeing with me.  Just throwing things out there.  On your point about the difference between the two, however....the covid virus will affect many more players than the injury bug, because entire games (thus rosters) are being postponed.   It's not comparing apples o apples as much as you think it is.  Again, I'm not complaining about the rules at all.  I had my choice of choosing multiple players, knowing what might come, or invest in a stronger, smaller roster.  I rolled the dice, and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Its a best ball contest. Everyone had the opportunity to field a maximum roster. It was even mentioned in here by some posters that it factored in to their strategy. If anything it will bring the cut down line down. My bigger concern is the change in bye weeks.
I believe someone said to take Zeke since he already had Covid. It was Impossible  to cover every scenario but I look at it as anything else that could delay or stop a game from happening. Players get hurt and no one gets to replace or use an alternate score for them 

Not disagreeing with you or agreeing with me.  Just throwing things out there.  On your point about the difference between the two, however....the covid virus will affect many more players than the injury bug, because entire games (thus rosters) are being postponed.   It's not comparing apples o apples as much as you think it is.  Again, I'm not complaining about the rules at all.  I had my choice of choosing multiple players, knowing what might come, or invest in a stronger, smaller roster.  I rolled the dice, and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
The other issue is implementing those ideas into a contest that is automatically scored. I am not a tech guy who could program that, but my guess is it would cost money or time to implement and test it. 

It's also not that different. Look at what happened to the Steelers' RBs and WRs last year when Roethlisberger got hurt--they not only lost all value in one week, they lost virtually all value for the entire season. 

2020 keeps getting weirder. players counting for me this week... I really thought it was wasted money. 
I thought I was the only that saw Ingram for being a beast and that I couldn't see how no one else didn't realize how much he would crush it this year. The same goes for Fells. Of course I was wrong about both, but they may actually keep me alive this week. 

Ingram 

Gibson

Fells

Only about 5 points above the cut after the early games, BUT  I have Waller (-3), Sloman's entire score, Carr (-24.4) and Jacobs/Aaron Jones/Ridley/Hilton/MVS (all -0 and -2.5, and then -14.1 for the WRs and 19.1 for the RBs). Should be a few points there.

For every time in my life I've heard "it's not fair", I've given my definition of fair.

1)  The rules are explained before the event starts

2) Everyone plays by the same rules.

That's it.  That's the list.  (and at 58 years old, I'm WAY too old to be using that phrase.)

After the 1 pm games

143.55 + (CEH, A Jones - 4.10/5.20/16.40) + (Waller - 5.20/11.00) + (Sloman - 9.30) + (Packers - 5.00)

With so many out (6) some guys at least stepped up and gave me a chance.  Gonna be sweating The Turk especially with some of these high scoring games out there :scared:

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread