What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Subscriber Contest is LIVE (3 Viewers)

Can you really afford to roster players from CAR or TB when they are on a bye during a championship week?  Let's try to figure this one out...

QB - Brady ($15), Bridgewater ($9)
Sure, as long as you don't have only Tom and Teddy on your team.  You still only get to use 1 QB in week 13, so just make sure you have one with a decent matchup (or maybe even 2).  As a matter of fact, it may be smart to roster one of these guys.  As long as they stay healthy, you don't have to worry about a bye week during the regular season part of the contest.  Sure, they are both guaranteed 0's in week 13, but they just may save your bacon in the first 11 weeks.

RB - McCaffrey ($39), Jones ($18), Vaughn ($10), McCoy ($3), Bonnafon ($3), Ogunbowale ($3)
Rostering high priced RB's off week 13 may get you to the big show, but that's where the buck will stop.  Spending nearly 16% of your budget on a single RB, then getting a goose egg during the finals is suicide.  Heck, if you told me right now I would be guaranteed to make it to week 12 if I rostered CMAC for $39, I still wouldn't take him.  I'm also not wasting $18 on Ronald McDonald Jones.  I would consider Vaughn for $10, but likely pass.  And for $3, why not?

WR - Godwin ($27), Evans ($25), Moore ($23), Samuel ($10), Anderson ($9)
The first 3 names on this list are all top 10 in terms of cost for WR's, and they are going to cost you 9-11% of your budget.  That's alot of coin sitting on your bench during the finals.  If you are rostering these types of players, you are probably going with a small roster.  Even though these guys aren't finals suicide like CMAC, they certainly won't be on my team.  I would treat Curtis & Robby kinda like Ke'Shawn.

TE - Gronkowski ($14), Thomas ($9), Howard ($7), Brate ($3)
I usually have the hardest time with this position every year.  Depending on how many TE's you decide to roster, I think these guys are less suicidal than the top 3 WR's above.  Gronk is always fun to take, but I'm not paying top 10 prices at TE for a zero in week 13 (along with guaranteed missed games).  The last time he played a full season he was 22 years old.  Howard and/or Brate could prove to be great value if Gronk misses time, as long as Brady decides he likes them.  And just when Olsen leaves and Thomas gets his shot, he gets a week 13 bye, dammit!

K - Gay ($5), Slye ($3)
Just my opinion, but I never pay high prices for kickers.  I just grab a few and hope they keep their jobs.  That said, I will steer clear of Gay, but will consider Slye.

D - TB ($4), CAR ($2)
Same as above, kinda.  Won't spend $4 on TB, but for CAR at $2, sure, why not?

Thoughts?

Why do you say that?  Did he go and do something stupid and get himself thrown out of the NFL?
I believe he was arrested for domestic violence and then just had two women say he raped them while at LSU. I wouldn't count on a full season myself, but YOLO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he was arrested for domestic violence and then just had two women say he raped them while at LSU. I wouldn't count on a full season myself, but YOLO. 
Looks like his entire career may amount to 1 good game vs CAR last year.  Not alot of ROI for a 2nd round pick.

Yay!  My favorite thing about FBG is here!  I was so into the COVID and movie draft threads, I totally forgot about the actual football season.  Time to sift through the pricing for hidden gems.  Anyone care to chime in on obvious steals or obvious avoids?
I think there is are steals in the KC and Pitt RB2 but only if you guess right. 
In general I think it is tough pricing. I’ll be shooting for roster size of 23-25 and will avoid the high priced guys (top 10-12 at each position). This approach probably will fail if I can even make the finals.

*note I never do well in this so you should also fade my thoughts.

Can you really afford to roster players from CAR or TB when they are on a bye during a championship week?  Let's try to figure this one out...

QB - Brady ($15), Bridgewater ($9)
Sure, as long as you don't have only Tom and Teddy on your team.  You still only get to use 1 QB in week 13, so just make sure you have one with a decent matchup (or maybe even 2).  As a matter of fact, it may be smart to roster one of these guys.  As long as they stay healthy, you don't have to worry about a bye week during the regular season part of the contest.  Sure, they are both guaranteed 0's in week 13, but they just may save your bacon in the first 11 weeks.

RB - McCaffrey ($39), Jones ($18), Vaughn ($10), McCoy ($3), Bonnafon ($3), Ogunbowale ($3)
Rostering high priced RB's off week 13 may get you to the big show, but that's where the buck will stop.  Spending nearly 16% of your budget on a single RB, then getting a goose egg during the finals is suicide.  Heck, if you told me right now I would be guaranteed to make it to week 12 if I rostered CMAC for $39, I still wouldn't take him.  I'm also not wasting $18 on Ronald McDonald Jones.  I would consider Vaughn for $10, but likely pass.  And for $3, why not?

WR - Godwin ($27), Evans ($25), Moore ($23), Samuel ($10), Anderson ($9)
The first 3 names on this list are all top 10 in terms of cost for WR's, and they are going to cost you 9-11% of your budget.  That's alot of coin sitting on your bench during the finals.  If you are rostering these types of players, you are probably going with a small roster.  Even though these guys aren't finals suicide like CMAC, they certainly won't be on my team.  I would treat Curtis & Robby kinda like Ke'Shawn.

TE - Gronkowski ($14), Thomas ($9), Howard ($7), Brate ($3)
I usually have the hardest time with this position every year.  Depending on how many TE's you decide to roster, I think these guys are less suicidal than the top 3 WR's above.  Gronk is always fun to take, but I'm not paying top 10 prices at TE for a zero in week 13 (along with guaranteed missed games).  The last time he played a full season he was 22 years old.  Howard and/or Brate could prove to be great value if Gronk misses time, as long as Brady decides he likes them.  And just when Olsen leaves and Thomas gets his shot, he gets a week 13 bye, dammit!

K -
Just my opinion, but I never pay high prices for kickers.  I just grab a few and hope they keep their jobs.  That said, I will steer clear of Gay, but will consider Slye.

D - TB ($4), CAR ($2)
Same as above, kinda.  Won't spend $4 on TB, but for CAR at $2, sure, why not?

Thoughts?
I have to agree. I have tinkered with several lineup variations with some of these players, but that zero in week 13 looms large if you make it that far. I currently have 1 player on this list. 

Thanks. Having a little extra time this year helped us dial in the pricing to make it even tougher. It's one of the toughest contests out there I think. 
Yes Joe, you guys definitely dialed in the pricing this year and made it even tougher. Factor in the cancelled preseason and season-long covid related variables and this is like playing 3D chess. 

Current team. I don’t like this many week 11 byes even though they really aren’t my main guys.
And yes I know currently it only shows 1 D. 🤷‍♂️ 
No chance that I don’t tweak/start over many more times.

QB - Jared Goff - LAR/9 - $12
QB - Gardner Minshew - JAX/7 - $9
QB - Sam Darnold - NYJ/11 - $7
RB - Aaron Jones - GB/5 - $25
RB - Chris Carson - SEA/6 - $21
RB - Tevin Coleman - SF/11 - $13
RB - Phillip Lindsay - DEN/8 - $11
RB - Benny Snell - PIT/8 - $4
RB - Darwin Thompson - KC/10 - $3
WR - Cooper Kupp - LAR/9 - $20
WR - DK Metcalf - SEA/6 - $18
WR - D.J. Chark - JAX/7 - $17
WR - Jamison Crowder - NYJ/11 - $13
WR - Christian Kirk - ARI/8 - $12
WR - Mecole Hardman - KC/10 - $10
WR - Allen Lazard - GB/5 - $7
WR - Kendrick Bourne - SF/11 - $3
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $11
TE - Noah Fant - DEN/8 - $10
TE - Blake Jarwin - DAL/10 - $9
TE - Chris Herndon - NYJ/11 - $7
PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/8 - $3
PK - Eddy Pineiro - CHI/11 - $2
TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/7 - $3

Current team. I don’t like this many week 11 byes even though they really aren’t my main guys.
And yes I know currently it only shows 1 D. 🤷‍♂️ 
No chance that I don’t tweak/start over many more times.

QB - Jared Goff - LAR/9 - $12
QB - Gardner Minshew - JAX/7 - $9
QB - Sam Darnold - NYJ/11 - $7
RB - Chris Carson - SEA/6 - $21
RB - Tevin Coleman - SF/11 - $13
RB - Phillip Lindsay - DEN/8 - $11
RB - Benny Snell - PIT/8 - $4
WR - Jamison Crowder - NYJ/11 - $13
WR - Christian Kirk - ARI/8 - $12
WR - Mecole Hardman - KC/10 - $10
WR - Allen Lazard - GB/5 - $7
WR - Kendrick Bourne - SF/11 - $3
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/9 - $11
PK - Eddy Pineiro - CHI/11 - $2
TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/7 - $3
We have a lot of overlap, mainly in RB, but one defense? 

We have a lot of overlap, mainly in RB, but one defense? 
For RB I’d love to have another $14-18 RB which would require dropping a TE and a low dollar RB or WR. Will see. Was considering Ronald Jones but don’t want to have any week 13 byes, particularly who would be a starter in my lineup based on price.

Regarding D, here is exhibit A (last year’s winner) https://subscribers.footballguys.com/contest/2019/100674.php
I probably won’t have the 🥜

For RB I’d love to have another $14-18 RB which would require dropping a TE and a low dollar RB or WR. Will see. Was considering Ronald Jones but don’t want to have any week 13 byes, particularly who would be a starter in my lineup based on price.

Regarding D, here is exhibit A (last year’s winner) https://subscribers.footballguys.com/contest/2019/100674.php
I probably won’t have the 🥜
:shrug:  to me that seems to be working backwards, of course a team does well when it wins, but they were cutting it pretty close some earlier weeks and got very lucky with injuries and stuff. I am not sure if it is due to superior strategy rather than a confluence of good luck (for any winner with this many contestants, not just that one). 

When picking my defenses for this contest, I tend to rely more on who their weekly opponents are rather than how good a defense is.  For example, would you rather start an expensive D against a team like NO or BAL, or a cheap D against a team like MIA?

That said, which offenses are going to give up the most fantasy points to opposing defenses?

I'm going to run calcomatic.com again this year!!!!  You should probably hold off on making any donations until the season actually starts  :lol:   
We have a problem and I might not be able to get Calcomatic running this year :kicksrock: The NFL apparently changed their live scoring API and I am unable to pull live data from their site*.  Without (free) live scoring Calcomatic is useless.  Also, even if I can find a new live scoring feed I'd have to change portions of the website to read this new format of the data.  Hopefully I have designed the system well enough that these changes are minimal, but the work still needs to be done.  Definitely don't make a donation at this time :lol:  

Does anyone know of a live scoring API that is free?

*You may be wondering how I know the live scoring data won't work since no games being played.  Well, the NFL had a couple different URLs that I used to determine when games were played, the team, and the stats for the game.  These URLs could be used for completed games as well which is how I discovered the issue.  I had some unit/integration testing setup for the application which used completed games from previous years to find specific scoring scenarios I wanted to test... and these tests blew up because those URLs are no longer valid.  Anyway, this is a reminder for developers to have robust unit/integration tests :)

When picking my defenses for this contest, I tend to rely more on who their weekly opponents are rather than how good a defense is.  For example, would you rather start an expensive D against a team like NO or BAL, or a cheap D against a team like MIA?

That said, which offenses are going to give up the most fantasy points to opposing defenses?
Defense scores are totally dependent on sacks and turnovers. It doesn't matter if they give up 30 points per game as long as they get some sacks and turnovers. Pick 6's and sack/fumble/td's are the gold standard. That happens when opponents get behind and are forced into a passing game to try and catch up. So, teams that have poor (for NFL purposes) defenses are more likely to give up points to opposing contest defenses.

Defense scores are totally dependent on sacks and turnovers. It doesn't matter if they give up 30 points per game as long as they get some sacks and turnovers. Pick 6's and sack/fumble/td's are the gold standard. That happens when opponents get behind and are forced into a passing game to try and catch up. So, teams that have poor (for NFL purposes) defenses are more likely to give up points to opposing contest defenses.
Yes, I know exactly what you are saying.  I kept a spreadsheet the last few years, but I lost the friggin thing.  Sacks given up were the most common, followed by INT's.  Fumbles and TD's were fluky and simply a bonus.  IIRC, last year you did not want to face the Saints.  They led the league (at least as far as this contest's scoring went), in the least amount of sacks and INT's.  You did, however want to face the Bucs, as Winston threw a boatload of INT's and got sacked numerous times.  I may take the time to recreate the sheets, because I think they were very helpful.  They proved a few lower tier D's facing easy opponents will outscore a single great D throughout the season.  My combo of the Giants and the Jets did great last year, because their schedules meshed perfectly.  So, for now, which 2020 offenses do you think are gonna give up the most sacks and/or INT's, because that's where the bulk of the D scoring will come from?

One thing I noticed is that the top 10 finishers last year is littered with teams that only took two QBs.  I've always thought adding a expensive player at a position where you can only start one was a huge handicap.  I see a lot of guys doing that here and have fallen into that trap myself on occasion.  Last year once you had Lamar on your team, a 3rd QB wasn't touching your box score.

The year before the top teams mostly had 3 QBs.  Darold at $3 was often that third QB and outscored Mahommes in the finals.  The theme that year was Mahommes and don't spend up at QB.

Also of note and probably shows that analyzing prior years results is an exercise in futility....last year most of the top ten had 2 kickers, the year prior most of them had 3 kickers.

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying.  I kept a spreadsheet the last few years, but I lost the friggin thing.  Sacks given up were the most common, followed by INT's.  Fumbles and TD's were fluky and simply a bonus.  IIRC, last year you did not want to face the Saints.  They led the league (at least as far as this contest's scoring went), in the least amount of sacks and INT's.  You did, however want to face the Bucs, as Winston threw a boatload of INT's and got sacked numerous times.  I may take the time to recreate the sheets, because I think they were very helpful.  They proved a few lower tier D's facing easy opponents will outscore a single great D throughout the season.  My combo of the Giants and the Jets did great last year, because their schedules meshed perfectly.  So, for now, which 2020 offenses do you think are gonna give up the most sacks and/or INT's, because that's where the bulk of the D scoring will come from?
Off the top of my head, with no scientific analysis at all, I'm thinking you look for risky and/or inexperienced QBs playing for teams with questionable defenses of their own. That screams Miami, Cincy, Washington, with "honorable mention" to the Giants and Arizona.

One thing I noticed is that the top 10 finishers last year is littered with teams that only took two QBs.  I've always thought adding a expensive player at a position where you can only start one was a huge handicap.  I see a lot of guys doing that here and have fallen into that trap myself on occasion.  Last year once you had Lamar on your team, a 3rd QB wasn't touching your box score.

The year before the top teams mostly had 3 QBs.  Darold at $3 was often that third QB and outscored Mahommes in the finals.  The theme that year was Mahommes and don't spend up at QB.

Also of note and probably shows that analyzing prior years results is an exercise in futility....last year most of the top ten had 2 kickers, the year prior most of them had 3 kickers.
I think that's inextricably linked to the "small roster/big roster" debate. Last year's top 10 is littered with 18-man rosters, so they're more likely to have only 2 QBs and 2 Ks. But, as we all know, a huge percentage of teams start with 18 players and a relatively small percentage of those get to the finals. 

I think we can learn from previous years.  Sure, each year is different, and we can always find those teams to beat the odds.  Like the guy who makes it to the end with only 1 QB.  Or the team that you just know wasn't looking at bye weeks and skates on by with a goose egg at QB.  Or the fun 14-kicker guy we all enjoy watching make it to week 10.  I think the first year I played I chose like 7 crappy TE's who never even saw the field.

At least I know going in, I will 100% for sure carry exactly 2 or 3 each of QB, TE, K, and D.  Just gotta pick the right combos.

I think we can learn from previous years.  Sure, each year is different, and we can always find those teams to beat the odds.  Like the guy who makes it to the end with only 1 QB.  Or the team that you just know wasn't looking at bye weeks and skates on by with a goose egg at QB.  Or the fun 14-kicker guy we all enjoy watching make it to week 10.  I think the first year I played I chose like 7 crappy TE's who never even saw the field.

At least I know going in, I will 100% for sure carry exactly 2 or 3 each of QB, TE, K, and D.  Just gotta pick the right combos.
The other factor in play here is that Jackson was a $12 QB. If you took him as your 2nd QB at that price, or combined him with another cheap QB or two, you instantly had a leg up on the finals.

The other factor in play here is that Jackson was a $12 QB. If you took him as your 2nd QB at that price, or combined him with another cheap QB or two, you instantly had a leg up on the finals.
I hate to admit it, but last year I did not roster LJax.  I went with Goff & Winston.  Winston turned out to be a great choice, but not Goff.  And the year before I decided to go with an old trio of Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Manning.  I wasn't about to take that young pup from KC... what was his name?

I am not really a fan of the D scoring, since it is only "event" based it is almost entirely luck. An objectively terrible defense can still have some lucky pick 6s, while a good defense might hold their opponent to 0 points but only have 2 sacks. You can still get good value by grabbing good defenses for cheap like the 49ers last year, but it feels too much like a random number generator when things like points or yards against are not factored in.

The Tampa D ($4) is looking like one of the worst options in the contest. In the 3-week championship they get the Chiefs who last year were among the 5 teams with the fewest sacks & INTs (25 & 5), the Vikings who were among the 10 teams with the fewest sacks & INTs (28 & 8), and the bye which didn't give up a single sack or INT.

I hate to admit it, but last year I did not roster LJax.  I went with Goff & Winston.  Winston turned out to be a great choice, but not Goff.  And the year before I decided to go with an old trio of Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Manning.  I wasn't about to take that young pup from KC... what was his name?
Everything is clear when you can look backwards. 

Current team:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/8 - $11
QB - Kirk Cousins - MIN/7 - $8
RB - Nick Chubb - CLE/9 - $26
RB - James Conner - PIT/8 - $23
RB - David Johnson - HOU/8 - $21
WR - DeAndre Hopkins - ARI/8 - $28
WR - Odell Beckham - CLE/9 - $22
WR - Diontae Johnson - PIT/8 - $13
WR - Golden Tate - NYG/11 - $9
WR - Corey Davis - TEN/7 - $6
WR - Tyrell Williams - LV/6 - $5
WR - K.J. Hamler - DEN/8 - $4
TE - Hayden Hurst - ATL/10 - $15
TE - Mike Gesicki - MIA/11 - $12
TE - Cole Kmet - CHI/11 - $3
PK - Mike Badgley - LAC/10 - $3
PK - Austin Seibert - CLE/9 - $3
TD - Los Angeles Rams - LAR/9 - $4
TD - Green Bay Packers - GB/5 - $3
TD - Houston Texans - HOU/8 - $3

Current team:

QB - Kirk Cousins - MIN/7 - $8
RB - David Johnson - HOU/8 - $21
WR - DeAndre Hopkins - ARI/8 - $28
WR - Odell Beckham - CLE/9 - $22
WR - Corey Davis - TEN/7 - $6
WR - Tyrell Williams - LV/6 - $5
WR - K.J. Hamler - DEN/8 - $4
TE - Mike Gesicki - MIA/11 - $12
TE - Cole Kmet - CHI/11 - $3
PK - Mike Badgley - LAC/10 - $3
TD - Los Angeles Rams - LAR/9 - $4
TD - Green Bay Packers - GB/5 - $3
TD - Houston Texans - HOU/8 - $3
Not much wiggle room in Week 8 with only 1 QB, 2 RBs and 4 WRs active.

The Tampa D ($4) is looking like one of the worst options in the contest. In the 3-week championship they get the Chiefs who last year were among the 5 teams with the fewest sacks & INTs (25 & 5), the Vikings who were among the 10 teams with the fewest sacks & INTs (28 & 8), and the bye which didn't give up a single sack or INT.
Now this is exactly what I am talking about!  Even if they were worth $4, their deadly weeks 12 thru 14 make them a bad choice.  Last year, it was the Tampa offense that you wanted your D to face, as they gave up 30 INT's and 47 sacks = 107 points.  To compare, the Saints gave up 6 INT's and 25 sacks = 37 points.

This is why you post your teams.  Nice to have a 2nd set of eyes
This was my iteration 1 before doing any research...thoughts?  Too light at RB I think...

QB - Aaron Rodgers - GB/5 - $14
QB - Cam Newton - NE/6 - $11
QB - Philip Rivers - IND/7 - $8
RB - Josh Jacobs - LV/6 - $26
RB - LeVeon Bell - NYJ/11 - $22
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL/8 - $18
RB - Ronald Jones - TB/13 - $18
RB - LeSean McCoy - TB/13 - $3
WR - Adam Thielen - MIN/7 - $21
WR - T.Y. Hilton - IND/7 - $17
WR - Emmanuel Sanders - NO/6 - $11
WR - Mohamed Sanu - NE/6 - $5
WR - Kenny Stills - HOU/8 - $5
WR - Willie Snead - BAL/8 - $3
TE - Evan Engram - NYG/11 - $16
TE - O.J. Howard - TB/13 - $7
TE - Devin Asiasi - NE/6 - $4
TE - Vance McDonald - PIT/8 - $4
PK - Dan Bailey - MIN/7 - $4
PK - Matt Prater - DET/5 - $4
PK - Justin Rohrwasser - NE/6 - $3
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/7 - $3
TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/6 - $3

My first go:

QB - Nick Foles - CHI/11 - $5
RB - Clyde Edwards-Helaire - KC/10 - $27
RB - Devin Singletary - BUF/11 - $18
RB - A.J. Dillon - GB/5 - $9
WR - Kenny Golladay - DET/5 - $26
WR - Jalen Reagor - PHI/9 - $10
WR - Michael Pittman - IND/7 - $8
WR - Marquez Valdes-Scantling - GB/5 - $3
TE - Jared Cook - NO/6 - $13
TE - Jonnu Smith - TEN/7 - $9
TD - Las Vegas Raiders - LV/6 - $2

Total value: 250

This was my iteration 1 before doing any research...thoughts?  Too light at RB I think...

QB - Aaron Rodgers - GB/5 - $14
QB - Cam Newton - NE/6 - $11
RB - LeVeon Bell - NYJ/11 - $22
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL/8 - $18
RB - Ronald Jones - TB/13 - $18
RB - LeSean McCoy - TB/13 - $3
WR - T.Y. Hilton - IND/7 - $17
WR - Emmanuel Sanders - NO/6 - $11
WR - Mohamed Sanu - NE/6 - $5
WR - Kenny Stills - HOU/8 - $5
WR - Willie Snead - BAL/8 - $3
TE - Evan Engram - NYG/11 - $16
TE - O.J. Howard - TB/13 - $7
TE - Devin Asiasi - NE/6 - $4
TE - Vance McDonald - PIT/8 - $4
PK - Dan Bailey - MIN/7 - $4
PK - Matt Prater - DET/5 - $4
PK - Justin Rohrwasser - NE/6 - $3
TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/6 - $3
Welcome back for another year!  Here goes...

QB - 3 for $33.  Cam is boom/bust for me.  All 3 with different byes.  I looked at the games of the other 2 during those byes = not bad.
RB - 5 for $87.  I can't endorse a team where you have $21 tied up between 2 guys off during the finals.
WR - 7 for $82.  You didn't put all your eggs in one basket.  You may want to look at week 7 though, because that's 46% of your WR budget on the bench.
TE - 4 for $31.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1_KlnA4Nc
PK - 3 for $11.  All I care is they keep their jobs for the season. 
TD - 2 for $6.  I would rather have 3 defenses for $2 than 2 defenses for $3.  Just my preference. 

I made this team up based on the most common players from the first 12 submissions that were posted.  I only counted @Milkman most recent of his 3 tries.  I have to say I don't hate it.

QB - Tom Brady - TB/13 - $15
WR - Marvin Jones - DET/5 - $13
WR - Bryan Edwards - LV/6 - $3
WR - J.J. Arcega-Whiteside - PHI/9 - $3
PK - Greg Joseph - TEN/7 - $2
TD - Jacksonville Jaguars - JAX/7 - $2
TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/8 - $2
TD - Las Vegas Raiders - LV/6 - $2

Still working on data before I choose my D's for this year's contest.  I am a firm believer in not rostering expensive ones.  Instead, I prefer to play the matchups with a few of the cheapest ones.  Obviously alot changes from year to year, but a QB typically stays the same.  And since we have limited ways to score (sack, INT, fumble recovery, TD), most of the D scoring can be directly attributed to the opposing QB.  You want your contest D to face Brees or Winston?  Rodgers or Rivers?

Still working on data before I choose my D's for this year's contest.  I am a firm believer in not rostering expensive ones.  Instead, I prefer to play the matchups with a few of the cheapest ones.  Obviously alot changes from year to year, but a QB typically stays the same.  And since we have limited ways to score (sack, INT, fumble recovery, TD), most of the D scoring can be directly attributed to the opposing QB.  You want your contest D to face Brees or Winston?  Rodgers or Rivers?
Take a close look at Tenn 

Take a close look at Tenn 
Last year, TEN gave up 90 fantasy points to opposing D's
8 INT's x 2 points = 16 points
56 sacks x 1 point = 56 points
9 fumbles lost x 2 points = 18 points

First 6 games with Mariota = 37 points = 6.2 per game
Last 10 games with Tannehill = 53 points = 5.3 per game

I haven't finished counting, but my guess is that TEN is very close to the middle of the pack.  If you look at Tannehill's first 6 years in Miami, it's reasonable to believe he can keep his INT's down in 2020.  He averaged over 3 sacks a game last year, and that he may not be able to improve on.

From what I can see so far, I would consider them an average team for a D to face.

Users who are viewing this thread