What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People who work more than 60 hours a week (1 Viewer)

I’m in sales and I’ve had times where between a massive pipeline and work travel it’s been more than that.  But it’s sales typically when you’re that busy you can also make more money.

I really maximize and protect my free time.  Evenings and weekends I completely check out of work emails and really focus on spending quality time with the family so when I am crazy busy day feel like I’ve still been paying attention to them.

Also, if possible, tell your employer that you’re completely maxed out if they expect more out of you.

I don't anymore, but when I did it was a 2 job sorta thing. And that 2nd job was output based - that's how I overcame the grind aspect. If I didn't then it impacted my earning power. The most important factors to sustaining was stress management, adequate sleep and ensuring a break to exercise (then eat). Sure, sometimes eating involved pieces of room temperature pork loin out of a ziplock bag driving to work location #2, but when you're working that many hours available time is at a premium. And to stay mentally sharp for that many working hours you need a healthy body (healthy body --> healthy mind). Then if I did all that then the other important factor (sleep) took care of itself. I was so tired by the time I got home that I just went right to bed and passed out - as long as I was successfully managing stress anyway. That took some trial & error to figure out. 

I attribute many of my current disciplined habits related to sleep, food prep, and exercise to this period of my life. To stay in good health I needed to. Now we have kids and we earn enough to no longer need a 2nd job, but those habits have stuck with me. Stress management is still a constant battle though. Generally I think i do a good job, but self inflicted mistakes still eat away at me. 

60 is manageable and depending on the person, very doable for long stretches.  To me 80 is the magic number where it really is a grind that isn't sustainable for most people.  I think a lot of the answer to your question depends on the type of work and your personal situation.

Having said that - unless you are on commission/sales or paid hourly then working 60 hours for the man is bull crap.  We shouldn't be wired to work 60 hours a week.  I really think we need to change our weekend to 3 days (Fri-Su) and make our work week 4 days (M-Th).  You would still get 4 ten hour days in if necessary or for most folks 32-36 hours is plenty to get their work done.

was thinking 60 sounded insane and there's no way i would do that.... but i used to work 2 jobs and easily put in 60+ a week, while working 7 days per week  :bag:

it's a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do and no one who isn't getting filthy rich off it should ever work more than necessary.

~60 hours is pretty standard for me.

Looking at 9-11 hours per day Mon - Fri.  2 hours on Sat.  4 hours on Sun.

I came from consulting and was doing 90+ hours there (FYI...it broke me).

I guess 60 hours looks go me compared to the alternative and I manage it by being a bit flexible when I work (ie 2 hours during the week is 9-11pm).

I rationalize it with in that I'm [1] compensated well and [2] when I take vacation I'm truly disconnected. And I max out my vacation at 4 weeks per year.

When I worked full time on live events, 60-80 would be the norm during the busy season. Worse yet, it wasn't regular hours. Some overnights, some 15+ hour days, weekends, whatever. And physical labor for most of it. A young man's game.  I was very happy when I was comfortable enough to go freelance, make my own hours and be done with weekends and overnights. Now of course that industry is decimated and I have no idea when it will come back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A week? Holy #### man. This is no way to live my friend.
20something me doesn't agree. At least in our current environment anyway. Those decisions at that stage in my life were necessary for 30something me to be in an acceptable place financially and on a realistic path towards retirement. Now, if you want to discuss why it isn't right that 20something me came to that conclusion then there's another forum for that sorta discussion. 

And like @Ocram I'm specifically referring to non-salary work. I forced a prior employer to fire me because I refused to a) activate email to my phone while on vacation 2) consistently work beyond the agreed upon working hours M-F and d) reply to evening/weekend emails the same day (because they happened every day). Exceptions, fine. Rule, line in the sand. I work off-hours at my current job, but it's on an emergency basis. If it happens constantly then it isn't an emergency' it's normal. 

I think there are two definitions of working. There is the number of hours that you are actually working and then there is the amount of hours where you are "at work or available to work."

I made a note to differentiate these two when I started WFH a few years ago. I was probably only working 30 to 35 hours a week, but I was available or at work 55 to 60 hours a week.

60 is manageable and depending on the person, very doable for long stretches.  To me 80 is the magic number where it really is a grind that isn't sustainable for most people.  I think a lot of the answer to your question depends on the type of work and your personal situation.
100%.  My 25yr career average has to be right 80ish.  It’s gotten so if I work a 5 day week for some reason I actually feel guilty.  When I was opening my restaurant 100hr weeks were not uncommon.  

But to answer the OP’s question.... I think it comes down to a couple things. First loving what you do, second being fully committed and three understanding and accepting that this is the way it is. Don’t get me wrong there’s definitely been periods where I’ve crashed. Right now is a particularly hard time to grind, probably my hardest ever, but it won’t always be like this.  At least that’s what I’m telling myself today.  

* I will also add that now that I’m in my mid-40s it is definitely physically getting harder. But my job is pretty physical and it’s not a desk job so that would change things too I’d imagine.  

For me, I thoroughly enjoyed my 20's amd early 30's while not working anywhere 60-80 hours per week. Sure, I may have to put a few extra years in near the end to make retirement work, but I wouldn't give up the freedom I had at 25 to travel the world/country and #### off just so I can retire a few years earlier

20something me doesn't agree. At least in our current environment anyway. Those decisions at that stage in my life were necessary for 30something me to be in an acceptable place financially and on a realistic path towards retirement. Now, if you want to discuss why it isn't right that 20something me came to that conclusion then there's another forum for that sorta discussion. 

And like @Ocram I'm specifically referring to non-salary work. I forced a prior employer to fire me because I refused to a) activate email to my phone while on vacation 2) consistently work beyond the agreed upon working hours M-F and d) reply to evening/weekend emails the same day (because they happened every day). Exceptions, fine. Rule, line in the sand. I work off-hours at my current job, but it's on an emergency basis. If it happens constantly then it isn't an emergency' it's normal. 
When you forced them to fire you did you actually list out the reasons as A, 2 and D? If so, Bravo, that would have been hilarious. I think only a “and Fifth” at the end would have nailed it better.

For me, I thoroughly enjoyed my 20's amd early 30's while not working anywhere 60-80 hours per week. Sure, I may have to put a few extra years in near the end to make retirement work, but I wouldn't give up the freedom I had at 25 to travel the world/country and #### off just so I can retire a few years earlier
Yep. I never understood why those with decent jobs kill themselves working while young and able bodied, for the promise of a retirement they can’t fully enjoy, because they’ve usually sacrificed their health along the way.

To be fair, I worked a few 100+ hour weeks to get to my current position, but there wasn’t a great alternative. Once I started making decent $, I’ve viewed every raise as an opportunity to cut my hours and gain life experiences outside of my job.

I think for someone not pursuing a likely high income earning career post grad this is an important question one must ask themselves before deciding what to do when it comes to quantity of work.

I didn't have any interest in travelling at that stage of my life. Most of what i wanted to do was within an hour of where I lived. So I worked 8-4 for the man then spotlighted 6-10 any evening of my choosing and something like 9-1 most Saturdays and Sundays. Basically, if I didn't have something on my social calendar then I worked. No events come to mind that I missed out on during this time because of work. The law of diminishing returns kicked in post kids (when I absolutely started missing events) and I was then in a job I was comfortable staying in for some time...that's when I decided to stop the side hustle.

If we don't move our house will be paid off in 7 years (age 44) and we'll be completely debt free.

When you forced them to fire you did you actually list out the reasons as A, 2 and D? If so, Bravo, that would have been hilarious. I think only a “and Fifth” at the end would have nailed it better.
My father-in-law was not the first person to say it, but he was the first person I heard say it - never let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

So, we'll go with - yes.

I saw my dad work 80 hrs a week while working 7 days to get his business up and going.  He was rewarded by being able to retire at 55.  He wanted me to take over when he retired and I told him I didn't want to work that much.  I was happy getting my degree and working 40-45 hrs a week and going home and not having to worry about a business.  I also started maxing my 401K from day 1 and will be able to retire at 57 (minimum retirement age to get my max retirement from my current gov position).  I could do it earlier but for another 2 years to max out my current retirement is worth it. 

So in the end I think either way can work and it just depends on what you like.  Some people can't work for someone and need their own business.  Some don't want the responsibility or time to put in.  Do what works for you.  But working 60+ hrs a week is no way to go......at least for me.

If you're working on commission, trying to build a business for yourself of have the desire (and talent....and opportunity.....) to climb REALLY high up the corporate ladder (like C-suite type of stuff or senior partner at a big law firm) then all bets are off. 

But if you're just working for the man and dont have any ambitions beyond middle management (if that) you're a fool if you put in the kind of hours some folks are talking about here. As others have stated,  big companies dont care about you and will take advantage of you just as much as you let them.   (there's always an excuse as to why your bonus isn't bigger, why they can't give you a title/salary bump in the middle of the  year, etc.)

I guess there are certain scenarios where the only chance you have of getting where you want in your career is just to put in an obscene amount of hours (for no additional pay) but I have to imagine those scenarios are few and far between. And even if that IS the case, you still need a manager who will champion for you,  the right opportunity (which nobody else is a better fit for), etc.

Bottom line.....I've seen plenty of people rise really high up in big companies without unnecessarily burning the midnight oil.  From my experience, doing a good job (by working smarter.....not longer), developing relationships  and taking initiative (getting involved in projects, requesting additional training and development opportunities, etc.)  works a hell of a lot better than playing the "See how late I stay!!" game.

If you're working on commission, trying to build a business for yourself of have the desire (and talent....and opportunity.....) to climb REALLY high up the corporate ladder (like C-suite type of stuff or senior partner at a big law firm) then all bets are off. 

But if you're just working for the man and dont have any ambitions beyond middle management (if that) you're a fool if you put in the kind of hours some folks are talking about here. As others have stated,  big companies dont care about you and will take advantage of you just as much as you let them.   (there's always an excuse as to why your bonus isn't bigger, why they can't give you a title/salary bump in the middle of the  year, etc.)

I guess there are certain scenarios where the only chance you have of getting where you want in your career is just to put in an obscene amount of hours (for no additional pay) but I have to imagine those scenarios are few and far between. And even if that IS the case, you still need a manager who will champion for you,  the right opportunity (which nobody else is a better fit for), etc.

Bottom line.....I've seen plenty of people rise really high up in big companies without unnecessarily burning the midnight oil.  From my experience, doing a good job (by working smarter.....not longer), developing relationships  and taking initiative (getting involved in projects, requesting additional training and development opportunities, etc.)  works a hell of a lot better than playing the "See how late I stay!!" game.
Exactly.

Luckily I don't have to put those hours in any more, but when I used to work 80+ hrs/week, it's just something you get used to.  Part of it depends on if there's light at the end of the tunnel.  If it's temporary (few months/few years), then it's easier to deal with.  If there's no end in sight, then you better make sure it's doing something you really like and find meaningful/rewarding or else you'll burn out quickly.

It's also my experience that employers don't really give a #### about you and will abuse you as much as you allow it.
I used to be involved in hiring controls engineers.  If someone was desperate to tell us how many hours they work, I didn't choose them at hiring time.  Our experience is that those guys burn out and switch jobs in 3 years, but the guys who work with their manager to keep their hours to 40-50 are happier, healthier, and stick around longer.

I think it's weird when people take on every task until they're at 60 hrs/wk, then quit after 3 years because they feel like they were taken advantage of.  Advocate for yourself!  A good manager knows it's more valuable to work with you than to always be training a new engineer.

Put my through college by working summers up in a fish processing camp up in Alaska during the summers.

When we had fish, nearly always, we worked 7 days a week.

Day began at 7:00 AM and finished at midnight, 17 hour days * 7 days a week = 119 work week

At the height of the season when we were at full operating capacity we had over 345 people in camp that was located right across the road from the plant, we lived in tents.

One shower for over 300 dudes, the gals had one shower but the most were around 25.  

If you got lucky you had a cold shower every two weeks.  The lines to get into the shower were twenty to thirty guys deep, I once took a day off work and walked five miles to a KOA and paid five dollars for a hot shower.  It was the longest shower of my life.  

When payday hit they gave us extra time to get to the bank.  When we got time off we partied our asses off.

Luckily I don't have to put those hours in any more, but when I used to work 80+ hrs/week, it's just something you get used to.  Part of it depends on if there's light at the end of the tunnel.  If it's temporary (few months/few years), then it's easier to deal with.  If there's no end in sight, then you better make sure it's doing something you really like and find meaningful/rewarding or else you'll burn out quickly.
A few years is considered temporary?   :lol:   "These 80 hours weeks aren't so bad.  At least we only have to do it for the next 3 YEARS."

Believe it or not, my wife occasionally sniffs 100 hour weeks in her part time job.
How many does she work in her main job?  Cuz honestly, if she works 40 hours, then I don't really believe it.  That would be sleeping 4 hours a night and working the other 20 hours.

ETA - @gianmarco rightfully pointed out I’m a ####### and misunderstood- part time job and not 2nd job.  My bad, carry on.

How many does she work in her main job?  Cuz honestly, if she works 40 hours, then I don't really believe it.  That would be sleeping 4 hours a night and working the other 20 hours.

ETA - @gianmarco rightfully pointed out I’m a ####### and misunderstood- part time job and not 2nd job.  My bad, carry on.
Her main (only) job is part time.

The baseline schedule is 14 consecutive days, 7am to 7pm. So 7 x 12 = 84 hours per week, minimum. But my wife often stays over, typically getting home at 9pm. So add another 14 hours and do the math.

it's a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do and no one who isn't getting filthy rich off it should ever work more than necessary.
The problem is it's impossible to define "more than necessary".  I average around 55.  

Worked about 6 months in Saudi Arabia. Nothing to do there really but work. I worked 6 days a week, 12 hr days. I was tired at the end of the day, and really tired at the end of it all, but in the middle of it you’re just in the zone. It’s all routine. 

made double salary for that period, and had zero expenses, so that was nice 

The problem is it's impossible to define "more than necessary".  I average around 55.  
i'm hovering around 50 and that feels like plenty

10 hours a day - 5 days a week is enough, imo.

nobody who works M - F as a regular schedule should also be clocking hours on Saturday & Sunday. unfortunately, i know that some people feel they have to.. or they will clock in very late at night during the week, or very early on the weekend because they're awake and bored.

it just sucks from a life/work balance perspective, i think.

What my wife tries to do is worse. She tries to cram 60-65 hours of work into 40 hours a week. She goes at hyper speed all the time, making her even more stressed. They really need to split her workload into three jobs but would never do that. 

How did you get use to the grind?
Since most everyone so far has just given you their work history or side commentary on 60, 80, 100 hrs........I'll start in another direction:
Start by looking at the 2 most important things that affect your physical and mental health:  Your sleep and your food

How much sleep do you get?   How much do you need?
Look at your morning routine - How long does it take you to get out the door (in a non-pandemic world)?   
Any time or steps you can cut down on/consolidate/re-organize the sequence?     Even if it is just 15 minutes....that's 15 minutes you can choose to get more sleep or do something else with and the mental freedom it creates might reduce your stress.

Prepare tomorrow's lunch the night before.....or just buy some different healthy snacks in bulk that you take with you.  I remember when i was working crazy hours and things would snowball at work and then you try to get lunch b/c you're starving and don't have time or < 15 minutes.  It caused me to have digestion problems when i would try to woof down a lunch in minutes.

Once I got to a place in my company where I could basically pick my hours, and my family was financially "ok", I made it a point to really limit my hours to 40-45 per week. That means some long-ish days to make up for days when I bail early to attend my kids activities, coach, or just an afternoon at the lake with the kids. I value that flexibility much more than the money I could make by working 60 hours, and I feel I'm happier, less stressed, and more involved with my kids' lives than the alternative. Even if I'm leaving money on the table. Money comes and money goes. I'll never be able to make up lost time with my kids, while they are still kids. I understand it can be a tough balancing act though. 

rascal said:
Well, how much are you getting paid for?  I get paid for 40.  So that's what I work.
At McDonald’s you get paid to work a certain amount of hours. At least in my industry you get paid to accomplish a set of tasks / responsibilities. When push comes to shove I don’t get to walk away unless I am deciding to start walking toward a new job

Users who are viewing this thread