What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men's fashion for the 40 and over crowd (1 Viewer)

I think phasing out cargo shorts for social occassions is a manageable baby step. Once you've conquered that, move on to shoes or whatever you want to update.

We’re not really still doing cargo shorts are we?

And please god not with those ugly sandals. 

Get rid of logos / graphic tees for outside the home 90% of the time.

I own about 15 of these Bella + Canvas TriBlend Tees. Duplicates in staple colors (charcoal grey / heathered grey / black). They are cheap, insanely soft, just fitted enough to look stylish while still being wearable by stocky guys like myself. 

I wear Cole Haan zerogrand wingtip oxfords most times I'm out of the house. Always without socks. Have them in two colors. Super light, comfortable, breathable, and I get ####loads of compliments on them (mostly from ladies).

Basic flops are okay for poolside / cookouts but spare the bare feet in stores/restaurants unless you live by the beach or are in a very casual place. Sandals are included... I avoid sandals altogether because 98% of the time they look dorky as hell. 

I've been moving away from jeans toward chinos. Not normally a dockers guy but these have a nice tapered fit, have a touch of stretch to them. Got 4-5 pair in a couple colors. 

I've got a few pair of shorts too but find myself wearing chinos in public more unless I'm going to be out in direct heat/sun for extended periods. Two stubborn pair of cargo shorts that are only worn when functionality is needed and I don't care about looking like an overgrown man child. 

Grabbed a half dozen pair of these Bayleaf running shorts (5" inseam) for running, working out, yard work, etc. Very light weight, dry fast, good length (not too long not too short), and come lined or unlined. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear cheap cargo shorts, flip flops and the below shirt. I bought about 20 of them in various colors when they were on sale at costco for 3 dollars a piece. Impressing other people by spending money on clothes is something that I do not do.

https://www.32degrees.com/products/mens-cool-crew-neck-tee-shirt?variant=31937659863129&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Nj5BRCZARIsABwxDKJuDGhVloQNjHaddE7hJZI8s7ezuxulQ9TqxTQhov1WsbMAzyGPyRMaAvhOEALw_wcB

This brand is popular for the guys in their 30s and 40s here in SD.   Guys here wear a lot of active wear...super casual that may not apply to other cities.

Agree with no logos, graphics...anything else that screams you are trying to be 20.
A little too sweatpants for me. But that stuff is ok. 

I have a bunch of regular flat shorts I got from Linksoul a couple years ago. No eleventy pockets. Just regular pockets. Not down to my knees. Just regular mid thigh shorts length. Not baggy like MC hammer pants. Just regular fitting. They are basic and look great and are comfortable and last. 

And I won’t be caught dead in Jesus sandals or Tevas or even worse those sandals with the round cap tow for you active dudes.  Imma sit here and drink this beer and chill while you go climb rocks in the river in your sandals. 

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't seem to get myself to wear "age appropriate" clothing. I'm told that I shouldn't wear cargo shorts and and vans, and that I should be wearing flat front golf shorts and driving shoes. Am I alone here?
Don’t listen to anyone else.  

Why do you care what anyone else thinks?

A little too sweatpants for me. But that stuff is ok. 

I have a bunch of regular flat shorts I got from Linksoul a couple years ago. No eleventy pockets. Just regular pockets. Not down to my knees. Just regular mid thigh shorts length. Not baggy like MC hammer pants. Just regular fitting. They are basic and look great and are comfortable and last. 

And I won’t be caught dead in Jesus sandals or Tevas or even worse those sandals with the round cap tow for you active dudes.  Imma sit here and drink this beer and chill while you go climb rocks in the river in your sandals. 
I’m 52 and I’ve bought more from this brand than anything else in the last 2 years.  Sweatpants, shorts, t-shirts and sweatshirts.  It’s the most comfortable I’ve been my entire life and that is one of my current goals in life.

This brand is popular for the guys in their 30s and 40s here in SD.   Guys here wear a lot of active wear...super casual that may not apply to other cities.

Agree with no logos, graphics...anything else that screams you are trying to be 20.
Those meta pants are pretty sweet, but I have a hard time justifying $100 for jazzed up sweatpants. 

Im wearing something similar. Bought 10 pair and other than two ”Vanphibian” shorts, it’s all I wear. Maryland summers are no joke so I will burn through two a day, as many as 4 if I’m working outside in the yard. 

So keeping with the theme of not melting away like Frosty the Snowman I wear a lot of all white, crisp long and shortsleeved cotton teeshirts.

Its about survival here. 

When it gets colder my go to outfit and my favorite casual outfit is a brand new pair of Nike/Addidas/Rebok/UA/NB with Blue or grey Polo sweatpants with a T-shirt. As long as the shoes are nice, you don’t look like a slob. 

If it has to be any dressier it’s full blown slacks and button downs, tie and all. There is no in between with me . 

Just do you man.  There's nothing more attractive that somebody that is comfortable with themselves and their style.  I'm 41 and my casual clothes are generally a black v-neck t-shirt, a pair nice cargo shorts or a pair jeans, and a pair of adidas or nikes.   I know I'm probably not turning many heads with my clothing style--but it's what I'm comfortable in--and I feel like the style is fairly neutral and timeless. 

Maryland summers are no joke so I will burn through two a day, as many as 4 if I’m working outside in the yard. 

Its about survival here. 

Oh come on.... it's MARYLAND :lol:  

You're above the 39th parallel over there It was 107 heat index with 60% humidity here yesterday at 5:30. :lmao:

Maybe if you weigh 300+lbs or something... but mid Atlantic coast is NOT "surviving" GB :)  

If anybody you own cargo shorts, throw them away today. 

They are (and have been for about 5 years,) the new jorts. 
My wife has been trying to get me past cargo shorts for a while.  But, if we go somewhere with the kids, every damn pocket gets filled up almost immediately.  Phones, wallet, lipstick, and thats just for the wife.  At any given time, I may be carrying 4 cell phones & 3 wallets.

Eta: hell no on sandals.  Maybe flip flops if I'm at the beach but that's it.

I wear cheap cargo shorts, flip flops and the below shirt. I bought about 20 of them in various colors when they were on sale at costco for 3 dollars a piece. Impressing other people by spending money on clothes is something that I do not do.

https://www.32degrees.com/products/mens-cool-crew-neck-tee-shirt?variant=31937659863129&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Nj5BRCZARIsABwxDKJuDGhVloQNjHaddE7hJZI8s7ezuxulQ9TqxTQhov1WsbMAzyGPyRMaAvhOEALw_wcB
I've got a couple of these shirts. They are extremely comfortable.  :thumbup:

So once we hit 30 we are supposed to rock plain shirts, tight fitting white shorts , and overpriced moccasins? 

ETA: sorry, according to Icon its bowling shoes.  ;)

I dig those. My current shoe strategy is to go to Nordstrom Rack over and over and over again until I find a pair I like, which is a pain.
They're apparently on final sale right now (new model is out) so I just grabbed another pair. No returns on close out sucks but the $100 price is in line with as cheap as I've seen them. 

Work with shorts or chinos/khakis. Less so with jeans (for me). 

We don't have a Nordstrom rack here in flyover country so I'm spared that episode of Groundhog Day :D  

Maybe it's just me, but I just can't seem to get myself to wear "age appropriate" clothing. I'm told that I shouldn't wear cargo shorts and and vans, and that I should be wearing flat front golf shorts and driving shoes. Am I alone here?
All joking aside.  Who gives a crap what you wear on the daily.   But please put some effort in if you are going out and you S.O. is looking good.  Don't know how many weddings I've been to where the lady is rocking a nice dress and the schlub she's with is wearing cargo shorts and an untucked polo.  

All joking aside.  Who gives a crap what you wear on the daily.   But please put some effort in if you are going out and you S.O. is looking good.  Don't know how many weddings I've been to where the lady is rocking a nice dress and the schlub she's with is wearing cargo shorts and an untucked polo.  
Yes! 
Those women won't admit it but they are embarrassed  to be seen with those dudes (if the ladies have put forth the effort to look put together) 

The thing is, it is extremely hard for guys like me to find clothes and shoes that fit me.  I am 6'8" and have size 15 shoes.  If I try and wear those shorts that Otis linked I would look like John Stockton.  

When I go to look for new shoes I go straight for the 14 & up section and it is always bare and full of 1980s looking basketball shoes.  

It sucks.

The thing is, it is extremely hard for guys like me to find clothes and shoes that fit me.  I am 6'8" and have size 15 shoes.  If I try and wear those shorts that Otis linked I would look like John Stockton.  

When I go to look for new shoes I go straight for the 14 & up section and it is always bare and full of 1980s looking basketball shoes.  

It sucks.
Yes but your NBA salary allows for proper tailoring :D  

Users who are viewing this thread