What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Polling Thread (3 Viewers)

Morning Consult (B/C) released a ton of state polls today:

ARIZONA Biden +3 (49-46)
COLORADO Biden +14 (54-40)
FLORIDA Biden +5 (51-46)
GEORGIA Trump +2 (47-49)
MICHIGAN Biden +7 (51-44)
MINNESOTA Biden +6 (50-44)
NORTH CAROLINA Biden +4 (50-46)
OHIO Trump +3 (46-49)
PENNSYLVANIA Biden +8 (52-44)
SOUTH CAROLINA Trump +12 (42-54)
TEXAS Trump +2 (47-49)
WISCONSIN Biden +7 (51-44)

Nothing too spectacular. Like other state polls, these point to more of an ~8 point national lead for Biden rather than the >10 point lead he has in most national polling averages. 

ARIZONA Biden +3 (49-46)
FLORIDA Biden +5 (51-46)
GEORGIA Trump +2 (47-49)
OHIO Trump +3 (46-49)
TEXAS Trump +2 (47-49)

Nothing too spectacular. Like other state polls, these point to more of an ~8 point national lead for Biden rather than the >10 point lead he has in most national polling averages. 
This plus the Graham +6 poll tells me that Harrison is a long-shot at best.  His fundraising is fantastic but unfortunately it won't unseat Graham this go-round.

ARIZONA Biden +3 (49-46)
FLORIDA Biden +5 (51-46)
GEORGIA Trump +2 (47-49)
OHIO Trump +3 (46-49)
TEXAS Trump +2 (47-49)

Florida numbers should be in early, and if it goes Biden, we might see a 2nd round TKO at president, and everyone spending rest of night focusing on the undercard (majority race).

Florida numbers should be in early, and if it goes Biden, we might see a 2nd round TKO at president, and everyone spending rest of night focusing on the undercard (majority race).
They’ll have to allow for some coverage of Trump handcuffing himself to his White House tanning bed.

As if that matters that he said something before and was expected to be held to it :lmao:
I'd much rather point to Florida as proof of a Biden victory than the vote counting cluster#### that PA, WI and MI will be.  You may be right that it might not end up mattering to him but I think it will for other Republicans.

New Las Vegas Review-Journal poll (Oct 7-11) for  Nevada:

Biden 44%

Trump 42%

Jorgenson 3%

Still apparently a lot of undecideds there. 

538 has Trump's chance down to 13%. I'm struggling to contain my cautious optimism.
Well, Clinton's highest chances of winning down the stretch was 88.1% on 10/17/2016. That was between the 2nd and 3rd debates. By 11/4, she was down to 64.5%. I don't remember what caused that big a drop off in a little more than 2 weeks.

On 10/17/2016, 538 had the electoral votes projected at 346 to 192 in favor of Clinton. As of today, they have things projected at 346 to 192 in favor of Biden. Biden right now is listed as having an 86% chance to win. On this day in 2016, Clinton was given a 86% to win. That has to be a pretty ominous coincidence.

Well, Clinton's highest chances of winning down the stretch was 88.1% on 10/17/2016. That was between the 2nd and 3rd debates. By 11/4, she was down to 64.5%. I don't remember what caused that big a drop off in a little more than 2 weeks.

On 10/17/2016, 538 had the electoral votes projected at 346 to 192 in favor of Clinton. As of today, they have things projected at 346 to 192 in favor of Biden. Biden right now is listed as having an 86% chance to win. On this day in 2016, Clinton was given a 86% to win. That has to be a pretty ominous coincidence.
My recollection is that Nate Silver adjusted his model a week or two before the election in 2016 because he felt he was not properly accounting for the potential variance due to the large number of undecideds.   That moved it down from the 80's to about 70%.    That's why I think it's apples to oranges comparing it to the same date in 2016.  Two different models.

My recollection is that Nate Silver adjusted his model a week or two before the election in 2016 because he felt he was not properly accounting for the potential variance due to the large number of undecideds.   That moved it down from the 80's to about 70%.    That's why I think it's apples to oranges comparing it to the same date in 2016.  Two different models.
This. I've been listening to all the 538 podcasts. He consistently reiterates that you can't compare the two models because of refinements. The major difference is the 20% of votes in 2016 that were being tracked as undecided or independents. Those folks in the end broke heavily for Trump. That population is much smaller this time around and have broken more evenly or for Biden. So even if Republicans have more registrations this time around it doesn't make up for the solidification of the 20%.

This. I've been listening to all the 538 podcasts. He consistently reiterates that you can't compare the two models because of refinements. The major difference is the 20% of votes in 2016 that were being tracked as undecided or independents. Those folks in the end broke heavily for Trump. That population is much smaller this time around and have broken more evenly or for Biden. So even if Republicans have more registrations this time around it doesn't make up for the solidification of the 20%.
My concern is that 538 is not accounting for voter suppression tactics in swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania, even Texas), nor is it accounting for issues involving heavy use of absentee ballots (higher likelihood of ballot rejection, higher likelihood of USPS failure, etc.).

I also don't think that any of the pollsters are accounting for the high level of enthusiasm of Trump's base.

Sorry if not clear. Just saying there are ways for Trump fans to make money betting thru legit legitimate sports books.

The Senate control odds are even more surprising than the Presidential odds to me.
Most of the sites are relatively similar . . .

Election Betting Odds sit - Dems 61% to control the Senate, 87% to control the House.
538 - Dems 69% to control the Senate, 95% to control the House.
RealClear - Dems favored to hold 51 Senate seats, Dems ahead 214-186 with 34 toss ups in the House.

Most of the sites are relatively similar . . .

Election Betting Odds sit - Dems 61% to control the Senate, 87% to control the House.
538 - Dems 69% to control the Senate, 95% to control the House.
RealClear - Dems favored to hold 51 Senate seats, Dems ahead 214-186 with 34 toss ups in the House.
It's a lot tougher (in my case impossible) to follow the various senate races well enough to have a solid overview of where things stand nationally, so I hadn't been paying attention. I had just been assuming the Democrats couldn't make enough inroads without also losing some seats to flip things. Seeing the lean, and the consensus about it is surprising for me.

It's a lot tougher (in my case impossible) to follow the various senate races well enough to have a solid overview of where things stand nationally, so I hadn't been paying attention. I had just been assuming the Democrats couldn't make enough inroads without also losing some seats to flip things. Seeing the lean, and the consensus about it is surprising for me.
Cook Political Report will give you a good idea at a glance.  Democrats will probably lose Alabama but look good elsewhere (maybe MI will be a problem but I don’t think so).  Meanwhile, Republicans have a ton of contested races including beingl behind in Arizona and Colorado.

Last edited by a moderator:
My concern is that 538 is not accounting for voter suppression tactics in swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania, even Texas), nor is it accounting for issues involving heavy use of absentee ballots (higher likelihood of ballot rejection, higher likelihood of USPS failure, etc.).

I also don't think that any of the pollsters are accounting for the high level of enthusiasm of Trump's base.
I fully expect Trump to get an Election Day bump similar to what he got in 2016. Maybe it won't be enough to win Michigan or Wisconsin, but I think he wins Florida easily and I think Pennsylvania is very much in play.

I fully expect Trump to get an Election Day bump similar to what he got in 2016. Maybe it won't be enough to win Michigan or Wisconsin, but I think he wins Florida easily and I think Pennsylvania is very much in play.
I also think the polling margin of error is going to extremely favor Trump in all those potential tipping point states, but even if that's 3-4% (ie max) Biden still pulls this out. Still terrified, but for an odd reason feel more comfortable about Dems pulling this out in 2020 than what I saw/felt in 2016.

I grew up blue collared, but now live in SF so I had direct visibility in my network of that rising Trump tide that most people in their own bubble didn't see.

I honestly never know what to think with these polls but why do you think the bolded?

I honestly never know what to think with these polls but why do you think the bolded?
1. incumbents tend to get a bump. (Because voters decide that they'd rather stick with the devil they know)
2. Republicans tend to get a bump. (Close races tend to go to Republicans these days.)
3. Donald Trump tends to get a bump. I still don't think the pollsters have accounted for all of the shy Trump voters.
4. Trump's seemingly quick recovery from COVID will allow him to campaign hard and heavy in swing states.

1. incumbents tend to get a bump. (Because voters decide that they'd rather stick with the devil they know)
2. Republicans tend to get a bump. (Close races tend to go to Republicans these days.)
3. Donald Trump tends to get a bump. I still don't think the pollsters have accounted for all of the shy Trump voters.
4. Trump's seemingly quick recovery from COVID will allow him to campaign hard and heavy in swing states.
1. I think most undecided voters this year will not vote. The undecideds I have heard basically are lifelong Republicans who want Trump out.

2. I am not sure there is evidence for this.

3. I do not believe there are shy Trump voters. 

4. As a general rule, across Trump's time in office, his approval goes down the more visible he is.

1. I think most undecided voters this year will not vote. The undecideds I have heard basically are lifelong Republicans who want Trump out.

2. I am not sure there is evidence for this.

3. I do not believe there are shy Trump voters. 

4. As a general rule, across Trump's time in office, his approval goes down the more visible he is.
I think a lot of #1 will become ‘shy Biden voters’. Vote for Biden because they want to make sure Trump doesn’t get another 4 years but will never admit they did it.

I do think people are "shy" or scared to acknowledge they are going to vote for Trump.

You see the "It's ok to punch Nazi" memes.  And then the "nazi" is a Trump supporter.  You see people punching old men in MAGA hats.  I live in Kentucky, which will almost certainly go red.  But a lot of people aren't putting signs up this year.  Not like they were in 2016.  Why?  I've had conversations with people that have expressed their concern about the trouble that comes from wearing a MAGA hat or having a Trump sign.  

Whether or not that will make up for the poll gaps, eh.  

Reports of huge amounts of early voting in Texas:  Tweet link

Wow. Polls still haven’t closed because of long lines in Harris County (#Houston), but with 128,000 voters and counting we have surpassed the entire state of Georgia’s first-day turnout yesterday. Our old record was 68k. Just remarkable.

Reports of huge amounts of early voting in Texas:  Tweet link

Wow. Polls still haven’t closed because of long lines in Harris County (#Houston), but with 128,000 voters and counting we have surpassed the entire state of Georgia’s first-day turnout yesterday. Our old record was 68k. Just remarkable.
Saw similar reports from Austin and also continued high numbers of new/early voters in Florida. 

Users who are viewing this thread