What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Polling Thread (2 Viewers)

Dave Wasserman @Redistrict

New: Fort Bend, Collin and Comal counties in TX just became the 4th, 5th and 6th counties in the U.S., to my knowledge, to surpass their 2016 *total* votes counted (as with Hays, Denton and Williamson, TX, population growth since '16 is a big factor here).

1:14 PM · Oct 27, 2020

Hays, Denton, Williamson, and Collin all swung hard towards Beto in '18. Some of the most educated counties in the state. :popcorn:  

Last edited by a moderator:

New: Fort Bend, Collin and Comal counties in TX just became the 4th, 5th and 6th counties in the U.S., to my knowledge, to surpass their 2016 *total* votes counted (as with Hays, Denton and Williamson, TX, population growth since '16 is a big factor here).

Hays, Denton, Williamson, and Collin all swung hard towards Beto in '18. Some of the most educated counties in the state. :popcorn:  
Williamson is definitely still a pink county, but that is the TX-31st.  The 31st has been trending toward the middle for a while.  That's the one MJ Hegar only lost by 3 points in 2018 (it was 22 points in '16).  Cruz won it by 2.

Texas seems like a weird state to be leading the way in early voting. The only thing that makes sense is that there’s a huge minority turnout which clearly benefits Biden. I still think Texas only goes blue in a total landslide but it’s certain an interesting development.

Is Nate Silver getting a bit stressed out perhaps?  I know it puts him on tilt when people still claim he was "wrong" in 2016, but I don't think I've ever seen him use profanity in a tweet before.  He's usually got this "I'm above-it-all, just a numbers guy" attitude.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1321148011179892744
Reading the comments it seems to have something to do with someone named Mollie Hemingway and/or the notion that some of these latest Republican leaning polls are bs concocted to skew the 538 algorithms (and to skew narratives about the polls).

Maybe it was this tweet by Hemingway.

Of interest ... Nate Silver is telling Democrats to not accept election results if Trump wins.
Which was in response to this tweet by Silver:

If the polls aren't tightening since the debate—and with 62 million people having voted—we're sort of getting to the point where the only way Trump can win is with a major polling error, bigger than in 2016 (or if the election is stolen somehow).

:shrug:

Texas seems like a weird state to be leading the way in early voting. The only thing that makes sense is that there’s a huge minority turnout which clearly benefits Biden. I still think Texas only goes blue in a total landslide but it’s certain an interesting development.
They are going to surpass their total vote from 2016 before we get to day of voting.  It is crazy and I am not sure if anyone knows what it means.  

Reading the comments it seems to have something to do with someone named Mollie Hemingway and/or the notion that some of these latest Republican leaning polls are bs concocted to skew the 538 algorithms (and to skew narratives about the polls).
I wonder if this  is related.

(((Harry Enten))) @ForecasterEnten

22h

Some polling sponsored by groups that are conservative (or are Rasmussen) have this race tightening... But I really don't see it in any other piece of data that's out there.

I wonder if this  is related.

(((Harry Enten))) @ForecasterEnten

22h

Some polling sponsored by groups that are conservative (or are Rasmussen) have this race tightening... But I really don't see it in any other piece of data that's out there.
Wasn't Hillary's drop in October 2016 due, in large part, to polls sponsored by conservative groups?

Mystery Achiever said:
Can't speak for Wisconsin, but PA changed advertising and web site info to November 6 when it was upheld.
Wait....so PA had something on their site that stated something that wasn't actually law?  That's kinda lame...

Wait....so PA had something on their site that stated something that wasn't actually law?  That's kinda lame...
The PA change was upheld by the US Supreme Court on October 20th. At that point, the state began to advertise the change.

The WI change was never advertised by the state as far as I know, because the original judge delayed the effective date to allow for SCOTUS to review it.

Gr00vus said:
Checking the AZ senate race polls, several current ones have McSally ahead of Kelly now, other more recent ones show a much slimmer margin for Kelly compared to polls from a couple of weeks ago. I mention this here because it may indicate movement in the state in the Presidential race as well. AZ may be staying Republican this year.
Really?  I thought she was toast.

Really?  I thought she was toast.
538 still has it 78% Kelly. Of the two recent polls with McSally in the lead, one is marked as partisan, the other is Susquehanna, which seems to be coming under fire a bit with suspicions of cooking the books. Maybe that's all there is to it and there isn't actually a move towards McSally. :shrug:

538 still has it 78% Kelly. Of the two recent polls with McSally in the lead, one is marked as partisan, the other is Susquehanna, which seems to be coming under fire a bit with suspicions of cooking the books. Maybe that's all there is to it and there isn't actually a move towards McSally. :shrug:
Also, she's a known loser, and Kelly is a freakin astronaut married to a Congresswoman who was shot in the head while in office.

Suburban Philly women went for Trump in 2016.  They will be his undoing in 2020.
This sort of threat by the President - ultimately against the needs of the people of Pennsylvania - won't help.  (Taken from CNN):

"Recounting how his campaign had to move the site of the rally to comply with Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf's Covid-19 protocols, Trump said this:

"I'll remember it, Tom. I'm gonna remember it, Tom. 'Hello, Mr. President, this is Governor Wolf, I need help, I need help.' You know what? These people are bad."

Let's be very clear what Trump is doing here: He is threatening to withhold federal aid -- or some sort of other assistance -- the next time Pennsylvania needs it because the state's governor, according to the President, made it difficult to find a site to hold a campaign rally."

Apparently the president didn't even get his facts correct.  The governor had no involvement in the scheduling of the rally.  Arguably, Trump just took Biden's fracking statement and negated it with an unforced error of his own.

Don’t matter. Trump will be appointed after the SCOTUS throws out main in voting. Lol. 
I appreciate how you've gone from "Total landslide!" to (paraphrasing) "Trump will lose the vote but he'll be bailed out by the Supreme Court", all in the span of just 16 days. :thumbup:

No. IIRC, they used the 11/3 receipt deadline while the case was being litigated and changed to 11/6  when they prevailed on the extension.

The PA change was upheld by the US Supreme Court on October 20th. At that point, the state began to advertise the change.

The WI change was never advertised by the state as far as I know, because the original judge delayed the effective date to allow for SCOTUS to review it.
But neither of these were a change of the law, right?  Just that the SC agreed?

I would need to look up how the original change happened, but I thought it was a done deal til GOP took it to PA Supreme (perhaps lower courts 1st). PA Supreme upheld. Then went to US Supreme who let stand after a 4-4 tie. This and many other  GOP suits have been going on since the summer so it kind of runs together.

eta -  PA Supreme Court ruled for the extension on Sept 17. https://www.axios.com/pennsylvania-supreme-court-mail-in-ballot-ed5f3644-47bc-4192-9d56-95885a4b8014.html
Other related rulings made:
 the court held that state election law allows counties to use drop boxes for hand delivery of mail ballots; denied requests from President Donald Trump’s campaign and others to allow poll watchers to work in counties other than the ones where they are registered; and denied a request that other people be allowed to deliver voters' ballots.

Fort Bend (southwest Houston suburbs) also went Hillary in 2016.

If Denton goes blue next week, that'll be a signal of quick-spreading Democratic influence in the Dallas Metroplex. Trump won Denton 57-37 in 2016 -- hard to see that flip, but maybe.

Susquehanna also had a poll from the end of August that had the race even. Every other poll at that time had Kelly up 10-15 points. To say it was outlier is an understatement. 

Comparisons at 1 week before election day...

538, 2016: Clinton +3.9%, 71.2% chance of winning, projected at 303 electoral votes

538, 2020: Biden +7.9%, 88% chance of winning, projected at 344 electoral votes

RCP, 2016: Clinton +1.7%, projected at 273 electoral votes

RCP, 2020: Biden +7.4%, projected at 311 electoral votes

That would be bad for Trump, then. Biden will have a huge lead from all the early voting. If SCOTUS tells states to stop counting on 11/4, then Trump is toast.
Sorry I meant the 4th, but anyways, mail in voting ballots are going to be deemed unconstitutional due to all the errors by the SCOTUS. 4 More Years

With two conservative polls coming out Trump +4 and +5 in Florida, RCP now has Trump ahead +0.4. 538 still has Biden up +2.1 with those polls factored in. 

Same story in GA. One new poll has pushed RCP to list Trump +0.4. 538 has that poll included and has Biden +1.2.

Don’t matter. Trump will be appointed after the SCOTUS throws out main in voting. Lol. 
I'm sort of speechless.

I'm assuming "main in" voting means mail in voting and you think the SCOTUS is going to somehow rule that votes submitted by the constituents of a democracy should be thrown out based on the legal method by which they chose to vote? And you think that is funny? 

Users who are viewing this thread