What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bay area fires (1 Viewer)

CurlyNight

Footballguy
There is now at least one major fire burning in every Bay Area county except for San Francisco County itself... 🌡🔥

Had bathroom window open. Woke up to the smell of strong smoke. Stay in and keep windows closed. This is only Aug. Sept and Oct to go! 🤭

yeah, it’s bad near us, too. the big fire near Lake Berryessa is blanketing us with soot, like snow. the sky on the way into work looked like the Apocalypse was coming- and with the way this year has been going, i was half expecting it. Stay safe Cali folks!

Car was speckled with ash this morning from what I assume is the Pescadero area fire, even though we are fairly far away toward the bay. I am guessing this is going to be every August through November from here on out. Just drove through Vacaville on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car was speckled with ash this morning from what I assume is the Pescadero area fire, even though we are fairly far away toward the bay. I am guessing this is going to be every August through November from here on out. Just drove through Vacaville on Monday.
I think since we did have hot days in June that it may become a June through October event. The cooling centers should be open longer than 7 pm for those who have health issues. Hell with this soot we'll all develop health issues. I'm inside and my eyes are burning. My air purifier helps but not fully. Ugh. Stay safe guys. Stay in. X

My eyes are all messed up today from sleeping with my window open, they have a strange brown look to them instead of what blood shot eyes would look like. No, wasn’t drinking yesterday :bag:  

Gavin Newsom

@GavinNewsom

CA has experienced 10,849 lightening strikes in the last 72 hours and WORLD RECORD heat temperatures. We’re currently battling 367 known fires. Grateful for our firefighters, first responders, and everyone on the frontlines protecting Californians during this time.

JFC. Just read that California had 10k+ lightening strikes in the last 72 hours. That is a absolute worst case scenario for fire season.

We bought an air purifier after the last big fire since we knew it would happen again, and by the time the state is on fire it is too late to buy one. I am not really sure how much it is helping to be honest, but it is running. 

Air quality seems significantly better now than it did this morning, the wind must be blowing the smoke somewhere else. 

I guess it's a good thing we're all wearing masks.

I wore a black t-shirt earlier today and came back from a short walk with white ash all over it.

We bought an air purifier after the last big fire since we knew it would happen again, and by the time the state is on fire it is too late to buy one. I am not really sure how much it is helping to be honest, but it is running. 

Air quality seems significantly better now than it did this morning, the wind must be blowing the smoke somewhere else. 
It is better. Currently south and east bay are very unhealthy, north bay, moderate. 

Seems like air quality is ok mid-peninsula from Palo Alto to San Mateo and on the coast, and bad everywhere else. 

I picked up two Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Air Purifiers about a month ago.  Worth their weight in gold when the air quality is as bad as this.

Agreed that the AQ has gotten much better. 

We slept with the bedroom window completely open last night.

Ash was on our cars this morning.

We camped two nights in Napa last week. Area was SUPERDRY, and the temps were scorching.  Triple digits last Friday.

BIL's brother drove up to the same campsite a few days ago and it was closed.

Knock on wood for the winds staying as they are.

AQ in Santa Rosa deteriorated quickly after 12:00 pm today. I’m sure it’s tied directly to the fire - and evacuations - in West County (just North of Guerneville). 

Evac orders also in place for the Atlas Peak AVA in Napa from the Hennessey Fire. Same for Vacaville due to the Gamble Fire combining with two others near Berryessa last night. 

Difficult to focus on harvest 2020, but this heat wave over the last week has pushed sugars higher and picks will be coming in quickly over the remainder of the month. I’ve been off the last two days, and will be curious to get a view of Sonoma Valley from the top of Moon Mountain tomorrow. 

To any and all FBGs who are being adversely affected by this, I understand and my sympathies go out to you. Be safe and stay vigilant. 

Penguin said:
How fast do you go thru the filters with conditions like they are now?
No idea since they are a month old. 

I actually took the pre-filters off of both Honeywells this afternoon and vacuum'ed the accumulated layer of dust.  As far as the HEPA filters, this model each has three separate HEPA filters, which still looked very white.

Also running a Winix 5500-2 and a smaller Winix in the other rooms for a total of 4 air purifiers.

"A Spare the Air Alert has been extended through Sunday, August 23, due to elevated levels of particulate pollution in the Bay Area from numerous wildfires. Burning wood, manufactured fire logs or any other solid fuel is prohibited both indoors and outdoors. If the smell of smoke is present, protect your health by avoiding exposure. Stay inside with windows and doors closed until smoke levels subside, if heat is not an issue. For more information, visit https://bit.ly/3aCcgkn."

Travis AFB now being evacuated due to the Hennessey Fire. All non-essential mission personnel and their families must leave. 
It's nuts. I don't recall anything nuttier with the lightening strikes and all. Can't wait till November for more than one reason now!

“The largest of the Napa County fires was the Hennessey, which exploded to 100,000 acres Wednesday as it merged with three other blazes — the Gamble, Green and Markley fires — burning in the rugged eastern hills of the county.“

That’s why Travis is being evacuated, and Vacaville is in danger. Looking at 130,000 acres burned and 0% containment as of tonight. 

It's nuts. I don't recall anything nuttier with the lightening strikes and all. Can't wait till November for more than one reason now!

“The largest of the Napa County fires was the Hennessey, which exploded to 100,000 acres Wednesday as it merged with three other blazes — the Gamble, Green and Markley fires — burning in the rugged eastern hills of the county.“

That’s why Travis is being evacuated, and Vacaville is in danger. Looking at 130,000 acres burned and 0% containment as of tonight. 
Norcal has become such a tinderbox every summer with the drought conditions the past decade (or two).

Had some friends evacuated from Vacaville area last night (don't recall exactly which city they are in). College friend of my wife.

For now my parents and brother (and other relatives) are in the clear, other than poor air conditions.

Air conditions are miserable in the north bay today.
woke up to clear skies in Santa Rosa and same at the top of Moon Mountain. could see the smoke to the south and west at 8:30am. 

fast forward three hours and everything started to get hazy and now i cannot see across the valley to Sonoma Mountain (appx 8 miles) 

now, it's really awful and can taste the smoke. another night of windows closed.

woke up to clear skies in Santa Rosa and same at the top of Moon Mountain. could see the smoke to the south and west at 8:30am. 

fast forward three hours and everything started to get hazy and now i cannot see across the valley to Sonoma Mountain (appx 8 miles) 

now, it's really awful and can taste the smoke. another night of windows closed.
Stay safe - heard that another of our friends have been evacuated from Healdsburg (feel real bad for her as her house was in the neighborhood in Santa Rosa they kept showing a couple years ago where every house was burned to the ground - she and her girls only just got out before it swept through the neighborhood that time).

What part of Santa Rosa are you in? I grew up in Rohnert Park.

Stay safe - heard that another of our friends have been evacuated from Healdsburg (feel real bad for her as her house was in the neighborhood in Santa Rosa they kept showing a couple years ago where every house was burned to the ground - she and her girls only just got out before it swept through the neighborhood that time).

thanks for the good thoughts!

we just moved to Santa Rosa - technically i guess it's Rincon Valley....or at least Rincon Valley adjacent - back in March. 

don't get out to RP much, except for sushi at Hana. good stuff there. 

thanks for the good thoughts!

we just moved to Santa Rosa - technically i guess it's Rincon Valley....or at least Rincon Valley adjacent - back in March. 

don't get out to RP much, except for sushi at Hana. good stuff there. 
That place is so good! I need to quit playing foxtail so early and get in an afternoon round so I can stop there for dinner. Beats the current 7am tee time on the weekend followed by hooters. 

Rancho Cotate HS?

Sausalito and Tam High for me.

I mentioned earlier not remembering this kind of fire season ever happening when I grew up... but the media wasn't as instant, I was a kid, and I have a terrible memory. Do you remember it ever being like this?

Rancho Cotate HS?

I mentioned earlier not remembering this kind of fire season ever happening when I grew up... but the media wasn't as instant, I was a kid, and I have a terrible memory. Do you remember it ever being like this?
Newsom said there have been lightening strikes that lead to fires but not to this degree.

Rancho Cotate HS?

Yes, I graduated from Rancho Cotate.  And I don't recall things ever being like this growing up. Maybe once or twice there'd be smoke/ash or something in the air, but definitely not anything like this.

Newsom said there have been lightening strikes that lead to fires but not to this degree.
Yeah. I just don't remember ever hearing or seeing a thunderstorm in Sausalito/SF during the 70s and 80s. Or remember widespread fires every year like this. 

I asked because my memory sucks...so maybe there are people from that era, or even more recently who remember differently. My folks moved there in 1960, and my mom doesn't remember it ever being like this either.

Yeah. I just don't remember ever hearing or seeing a thunderstorm in Sausalito/SF during the 70s and 80s. Or remember widespread fires every year like this. 

I asked because my memory sucks...so maybe there are people from that era, or even more recently who remember differently. My folks moved there in 1960, and my mom doesn't remember it ever being like this either.
I agree

When I moved to SF from the Midwest in the 80s, I was surprised by how infrequent thunderstorms were out here.  I distinctly remember going up on my roof circa 1984-5 to watch lightning because I hadn't seen any for years since my move.  It was also strange to have thunder and lightning unaccompanied by rain.

It seems like I hear thunder during the dry season a little more than I used to but thunderstorms are still very uncommon compared to other places I've been in the summer.

I've been in the Bay Area since 1997 and I've never seen anything like those storms.  11,000 lightning strikes?!?!?!  And it was going on off-and-on for a couple of days.

This is a bad start to what's become a horrible fire season every year.

The smoke is terrible in Novato today
There’s a line running through town - I can smell it from my place but the skies over my house are currently blue. But if I look east or south I can see it. 

I was planning on taking the pup up on Mt Burdell this morning, but I could see the smoke up there at 600-700 feet so bailed on that. 

There’s a line running through town - I can smell it from my place but the skies over my house are currently blue. But if I look east or south I can see it. 

I was planning on taking the pup up on Mt Burdell this morning, but I could see the smoke up there at 600-700 feet so bailed on that. 
It’s coming straight into my place, had to close up all the windows.

And now it’s getting bad here as well. All of the Novato air quality sensors on the Chronicle’s website are registering either “unhealthy for everyone” or “very unhealthy.”

And in related news, another round of thunderstorms and dry lightning forecast for tomorrow into Monday. #### could get way worse. 

Users who are viewing this thread