What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bay area fires (1 Viewer)

And now it’s getting bad here as well. All of the Novato air quality sensors on the Chronicle’s website are registering either “unhealthy for everyone” or “very unhealthy.”

And in related news, another round of thunderstorms and dry lightning forecast for tomorrow into Monday. #### could get way worse. 
Now we have a carjacker who is possibly starting fires at IVC, fun times

My parents are right on the border of an evacuation warning area, maybe 50 yards outside of it. I am not sure what that means, they do not seem extremely concerned. Is there an evacuation warning warning area? I assume they still have time to see what happens, since they are outside the warning area, which is then outside the mandatory evacuation area. It still seems pretty close. 

My parents are right on the border of an evacuation warning area, maybe 50 yards outside of it. I am not sure what that means, they do not seem extremely concerned. Is there an evacuation warning warning area? I assume they still have time to see what happens, since they are outside the warning area, which is then outside the mandatory evacuation area. It still seems pretty close. 
As they are outside the evacuation area, they should be okay for now, but I would strongly suggest they prepare to be evacuated, as these things can change on a moments notice.

As someone that has lost everything to a house fire (not wildfire related), and then has also had to evacuate because of wildfires, I would share these suggestions:

First - be safe, if you are asked to evacuate, evacuate. Don't dilly dally, don't stay behind to "protect" your home (your garden hose will not help much), just get the f out. It is all "stuff", and stuff can be replaced, homes can be rebuilt, lives can not be replaced. I realize it is tough sometimes to mentally come to terms with that, it took me losing everything to realize that, but everything we lost in the fire (other than our dog who did not survive) has been replaced and our house was rebuilt. That's why now my attitude when we had to evacuate two years ago was grab the necessities and GTFO.

• Gather all important documents - birth certificates, wedding certificates, home insurance documents, important photos that are not digital. Know where they are, be sure they are easy to get. Backup hard drive if you have it or don't have photos/documents in the cloud, etc.
  • Pack a bag with 3-4 changes of clothes - you can get by with less, but you do not need to empty your closet.
  • Pack water, pack some food - if you have pets, don't forget their food/water bowl
  • Have a plan of where to go/meet if somehow you get separated. Cell towers may be down or more likely overloaded, so being able to call could be difficult. 

Extra tip for everyone - Go through every room in your house and photograph them - photograph possessions, furniture, tvs, cabinets, etc. If you have time, do an inventory of each room (it doesn't have to be excessively detailed, but if you are detail oriented or have the time, makes, models, descriptions all help). This will help immensely with insurance in the case of a major loss or damage, such as fire where things can be destroyed.

If you have children and are in a situation where you have time to prep for an evacuation, do everything in your power to not panic, as they will pick up on that. Find ways to occupy them. For us, we have 3 boys - they were between 13 and 7 years old when we had to evacuate, fully aware that the fire was coming towards our house (they were evacuated from schools and it came right up to the elementary school my younger two attended where we could see the hill the fire was coming down from our front yard). Give them tasks/jobs to do to keep them occupied - we gave each boy their laundry basket and told them to each grab the things from their room that they needed/wanted the most, in addition to a few changes of clothes - whether a stuffed animal, blanket, a device, picture, etc. whatever they wanted they could put in their laundry basket and we would bring it. No judging, no questioning, if it was important enough to them a that time, it was important enough for us to pack. Meanwhile my wife and I were gathering the items above - important docs, case of water, food, pet supplies, etc. By keeping them occupied and giving them specific tasks, it kept them from panicking.

All my best Cali friends ❤️ I'm back east getting my #### together but a few of the people I met out there, out around Santa Cruz, have lost their homes 😥 

Talk about life comes at you fast, fn unfathomable bummer

As they are outside the evacuation area, they should be okay for now, but I would strongly suggest they prepare to be evacuated, as these things can change on a moments notice.

As someone that has lost everything to a house fire (not wildfire related), and then has also had to evacuate because of wildfires, I would share these suggestions:

First - be safe, if you are asked to evacuate, evacuate. Don't dilly dally, don't stay behind to "protect" your home (your garden hose will not help much), just get the f out. It is all "stuff", and stuff can be replaced, homes can be rebuilt, lives can not be replaced. I realize it is tough sometimes to mentally come to terms with that, it took me losing everything to realize that, but everything we lost in the fire (other than our dog who did not survive) has been replaced and our house was rebuilt. That's why now my attitude when we had to evacuate two years ago was grab the necessities and GTFO.

• Gather all important documents - birth certificates, wedding certificates, home insurance documents, important photos that are not digital. Know where they are, be sure they are easy to get. Backup hard drive if you have it or don't have photos/documents in the cloud, etc.
  • Pack a bag with 3-4 changes of clothes - you can get by with less, but you do not need to empty your closet.
  • Pack water, pack some food - if you have pets, don't forget their food/water bowl
  • Have a plan of where to go/meet if somehow you get separated. Cell towers may be down or more likely overloaded, so being able to call could be difficult. 

Extra tip for everyone - Go through every room in your house and photograph them - photograph possessions, furniture, tvs, cabinets, etc. If you have time, do an inventory of each room (it doesn't have to be excessively detailed, but if you are detail oriented or have the time, makes, models, descriptions all help). This will help immensely with insurance in the case of a major loss or damage, such as fire where things can be destroyed.

If you have children and are in a situation where you have time to prep for an evacuation, do everything in your power to not panic, as they will pick up on that. Find ways to occupy them. For us, we have 3 boys - they were between 13 and 7 years old when we had to evacuate, fully aware that the fire was coming towards our house (they were evacuated from schools and it came right up to the elementary school my younger two attended where we could see the hill the fire was coming down from our front yard). Give them tasks/jobs to do to keep them occupied - we gave each boy their laundry basket and told them to each grab the things from their room that they needed/wanted the most, in addition to a few changes of clothes - whether a stuffed animal, blanket, a device, picture, etc. whatever they wanted they could put in their laundry basket and we would bring it. No judging, no questioning, if it was important enough to them a that time, it was important enough for us to pack. Meanwhile my wife and I were gathering the items above - important docs, case of water, food, pet supplies, etc. By keeping them occupied and giving them specific tasks, it kept them from panicking.
The insurance photo thing seems overkill.  If your house is a total loss they write you for the policy.  Because you have some expensive headboard doesn't change that.  

Insurance issues come about when dealing with flood vs wind damage and who pays out and at what %, mainly.  

The insurance photo thing seems overkill.  If your house is a total loss they write you for the policy.  Because you have some expensive headboard doesn't change that.  

Insurance issues come about when dealing with flood vs wind damage and who pays out and at what %, mainly.  
To each their own, but the vast majority of claims are not going to be for total loss, and it comes into play not just for damage (fire, flood, etc.) but also for theft. Sharing this based on our first hand experience in dealing with insurance for near total replacement of contents.

For us, because we had a fire that didn't burn the house to the ground but did destroy all the contents (not necessarily fire damage, but also smoke damage which was a lot worse) it was important. They'll go through, and mark down a TV, and price it as a generic offbrand from Target. If you have something nicer, it is on you to show proof so that they change the contents piece to reflect that proper value.

As a rule, they will not blanket cut you a check for total contents, they will itemize everything, and you only receive a depreciated amount up front. As you purchase replacements, you need to provide receipts to recover the remainder (if that is in your policy, a lot of policies will not make you whole on contents), submitting them with notes such as receipt for line items 122 - kitchen barstool, 156 - desk lamp and 225 - bath towels. And they are very thorough on their checking of the receipts, as they have teams of people to do this. Once checked, they will process and cut a check for the depreciated amount up to the value determined.

I wouldn't say it isn't unfair, but the deck is stacked against you if you do not have photo evidence or receipts for your contents, as they will err on the side of lesser priced items and it is up to you to show that the item was a higher value.

The construction side was a whole other animal, but fortunately we had an awesome contractor that dealt with it as the initial insurance estimate was laughably low.

This sucks. Seems like protecting centuries old redwoods would be a national priority.
agreed, but the Walbridge Fire is moving toward population centers of Windsor & Healdsburg and fire crews are spread too thin to attack both eastern and western edges. sounds like they are focusing on the eastern edge today, i.e. saving people/property. 

This is what it looked like at 10 am today at work 

https://flic.kr/p/2jF2A9z

hopefully the link works. 
Hfs.

Where is that?

My poor mom is losing her mind. She usually hikes 2 days a week and runs 2 days a week in southern marin. With the air so bad, she's stuck at home. Obviously FAR worse things going on out there than old ladies not getting to do what the want, but i want her happy, dammit!

Hfs.

Where is that?

My poor mom is losing her mind. She usually hikes 2 days a week and runs 2 days a week in southern marin. With the air so bad, she's stuck at home. Obviously FAR worse things going on out there than old ladies not getting to do what the want, but i want her happy, dammit!
Alameda. Marin was finally nice Sunday and Monday but 110 outside! It’s kept me from grabbing a beer with @SFBayDuck

Alameda. Marin was finally nice Sunday and Monday but 110 outside! It’s kept me from grabbing a beer with @SFBayDuck
I'm up on the Oregon Coast this week, and while it's a little better today it's been pretty bad the last few days.  It was beautiful, sunny and warm when we got here Sunday and into Monday.  Then there was a sudden shift in the winds on Monday evening - temperature went up 10 degrees in about 30 minutes, and that night we had 50-70 mph gusts all night long.  Trees went down, power was out for 16 hours (cable/wifi just came back on a couple of hours ago), and the smoke came pouring in from the fires in central oregon and the Cascades.  This was yesterday morning.

Headed to Eugene tomorrow for the weekend, then will have to figure out how to get back home.  Portions of both 101 and I-5 have been shut down off and on this week, and several communities in southern Oregon are apparently just wiped out.

I'm up on the Oregon Coast this week, and while it's a little better today it's been pretty bad the last few days.  It was beautiful, sunny and warm when we got here Sunday and into Monday.  Then there was a sudden shift in the winds on Monday evening - temperature went up 10 degrees in about 30 minutes, and that night we had 50-70 mph gusts all night long.  Trees went down, power was out for 16 hours (cable/wifi just came back on a couple of hours ago), and the smoke came pouring in from the fires in central oregon and the Cascades.  This was yesterday morning.

Headed to Eugene tomorrow for the weekend, then will have to figure out how to get back home.  Portions of both 101 and I-5 have been shut down off and on this week, and several communities in southern Oregon are apparently just wiped out.
Be safe gb

Yeah we’re in the middle of it in Southern Oregon. We’ve been on the edge of evacuating several times but have been very fortunate compared to most. I can’t even start to count how many friends and family members have lost their homes, jobs and businesses. It’s been a nightmare. The fire in the cities is under control but there are still an unbelievable amount of rural fires all over the west coast. 

Don’t really know what else to say other than keep your fingers crossed for cooler weather and rain. 

I took off out of Oakland heading east around 0745 today.  Videoed out the window the first ten minutes.. around 4 minutes in, they announced we crossed over 10000 feet and people could use devices etc.. at 6 minutes I began to see the faint orange spot that is our Sun, and even at minute 10 we still weren't completely in the clear.  Maybe a few minutes after that I had blue sky and could start to make out the delineation

Seemed to run all the way to Tahoe but I couldn't necessarily tell what was smoke/cloud cover/both

Dat smokeboi it thicc

Just read an article about a fire that moved into a Mojave Desert community yesterday and destroyed some homes. @Chaos Commish lives in the Mojave, and I hope everything is ok with him.

Just read an article about a fire that moved into a Mojave Desert community yesterday and destroyed some homes. @Chaos Commish lives in the Mojave, and I hope everything is ok with him.
Drove through there last week, just posted about it in the National Parks thread.  It was apocalyptic.  The vibe driving through these small towns in the middle of the day without any sign of the sun was bizarre.  Greyish to an ominous red to dark grey.  All from the Creek Fire on the western slope of the Sierra Nevadas.  We were in the flats on the other side of the Sierras.  Last I heard, the Creek Fire is supposed to burn another MONTH.

Yeah we’re in the middle of it in Southern Oregon. We’ve been on the edge of evacuating several times but have been very fortunate compared to most. I can’t even start to count how many friends and family members have lost their homes, jobs and businesses. It’s been a nightmare. The fire in the cities is under control but there are still an unbelievable amount of rural fires all over the west coast. 

Don’t really know what else to say other than keep your fingers crossed for cooler weather and rain. 
The stories and the photos you guys have up there are truly troubling.   Praying for your safety and hope that you get rain soon. 

For those that are scratching their head as to why these global-warming initiated wildfires seem to be so dominant south of the US/Canada border but largely are leaving Canada alone, this graphic might help it make more sense.   

Last edited by a moderator:
The stories and the photos you guys have up there are truly troubling.   Praying for your safety and hope that you get rain soon. 

For those that are scratching their head as to why these global-warming initiated wildfires seem to be so dominant south of the US/Canada border but largely are leaving Canada alone, this graphic might help it make more sense.   
Thanks. Conditions have improved locally with cooler weather but there were thousands of homes and hundreds of businesses destroyed so it’s going to be a rough road. 

The arson thing is just unbelievable. 

Weatherdude says last heatwave starting on Sat will be the last for this year. I'm wondering if he's new here. Oct heatwaves do happen. 

We evacuated Santa Rosa at 11:45pm and just got to Sonoma about 45 min ago. The Shady Fire has jumped Hwy 12 in Sonoma Valley and is burning in Oakmont. 

2017 all over again. Just ####. 
Sorry man. Just went through the same thing in Oregon so I know what you're going through and how scary it is. Hope they get it under control and you guys are able to go home soon. 🤞❤️

This new fire in Napa is bad, I just played golf in Rohnert park and it is raining ash up here.
Had a few friends evacuated last night and just had a chance to check in with my parents (in Rohnert Park) and brother (in Santa Rosa).  Both are good for now but ready to pack up if need be (more so my brother and his family given their location, though for now they are not in immediate danger/threat). My mom sent me a picture of their backyard from this morning and the amount of ash they are getting is nuts - worse than 2017 and the ash debris is actually fairly large compared to the usual "dust" that it usually is.

Had a few friends evacuated last night and just had a chance to check in with my parents (in Rohnert Park) and brother (in Santa Rosa).  Both are good for now but ready to pack up if need be (more so my brother and his family given their location, though for now they are not in immediate danger/threat). My mom sent me a picture of their backyard from this morning and the amount of ash they are getting is nuts - worse than 2017 and the ash debris is actually fairly large compared to the usual "dust" that it usually is.
Yeah, I bet it’s crazy today as yesterday was only the Napa fire and the size of the ash was still really big. 

Sorry man. Just went through the same thing in Oregon so I know what you're going through and how scary it is. Hope they get it under control and you guys are able to go home soon. 🤞❤️
thanks. looking at the evac map this AM, our place is about 300 feet (literally) from the boundary. thankful for small things right now. friends closer to Calistoga Road near Maria Carillio HS had fire come down the hill and reached the edge of their neighborhood but thankfully fire crews stopped it. Skyhawk was not so lucky and many homes burned in that area. (for those who aren't familiar with the region, this is basically the area which did not burn in 2017 but fire found it's way there this time. it's been decades since it's seen any kind of serious fire activity.) 

looks like the Shady Fire is edging SW toward Trione-Annadel State Park now. not sure where Fire Dept. will make a "final stand" but guessing it would be just at the edge of Howarth Park and Bennett Valley before it gets into the neighborhoods there. 

plenty of damage already done on the Napa side: Chateau Boswell was taken by flames, as was the Glass Mountain Inn in St. Helena. hearing other winery names too, but don't want to report that until confirmed. i remember how much bad intel was out early last time which ended up not being factual. 

thanks. looking at the evac map this AM, our place is about 300 feet (literally) from the boundary. thankful for small things right now. friends closer to Calistoga Road near Maria Carillio HS had fire come down the hill and reached the edge of their neighborhood but thankfully fire crews stopped it. Skyhawk was not so lucky and many homes burned in that area. (for those who aren't familiar with the region, this is basically the area which did not burn in 2017 but fire found it's way there this time. it's been decades since it's seen any kind of serious fire activity.) 

looks like the Shady Fire is edging SW toward Trione-Annadel State Park now. not sure where Fire Dept. will make a "final stand" but guessing it would be just at the edge of Howarth Park and Bennett Valley before it gets into the neighborhoods there. 

plenty of damage already done on the Napa side: Chateau Boswell was taken by flames, as was the Glass Mountain Inn in St. Helena. hearing other winery names too, but don't want to report that until confirmed. i remember how much bad intel was out early last time which ended up not being factual. 
Damn. The misinformation was really bad here too and social media just makes it travel so much quicker. Really hope you and your loved ones (along with everyone else) are able to get it safely and have homes to return to. We're here for ya. 

Meadowood Resort in Napa has been lost. 

the owners of the first winery i worked with in Sonoma Valley back in 2008 lost their family home. 

hoping all FBGs, and friends and relatives, who have been affected and are dealing with the Grass/Shady Fire in Napa and Sonoma stay safe. please listen to evacuation orders and watch out for your neighbors. 

thinking good thoughts for you all. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread