What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Americans Dramatically Misunderstand Risk of Dying from Covid" ...You Don't Say (1 Viewer)

I'll go slower

people want me to wear a mask in a diner because they want to go to a diner and eat and they feel safe only if I'm wearing a mask so they want to force me to wear it

would be just like

me wanting people to have a gun on them in a diner because I want to go in a diner and eat and I feel safe only if everyone had a gun, so I want to force them all to have guns

see ??
ah....yes, starting with the false premise I thought we cleared up a while back...I see now.  Thanks for the clarification.  To be clear, people want you to wear a mask because it's what we as individuals can do to help prevent the spread of the virus, not because it "makes them feel safe".

Again, why is that a weird take.  it happens every single day?   

If you want to mandate masks just say  "I WANT TO MANDATE MASKS" these silly games you guys try to play and back someone in a corner is tiring.   State your case man.  jeez.
I'm trying to understand where you draw the line.  I have no case to state.  As far as your position goes it's "weird" IMO to say you're ok with government to fine individuals for acting poorly but not ok with government attaching behavioral strings to funds for other government use.  As you said, that happens all the time...funny that you're not ok with it in this situation.  Perhaps "weird" isn't the correct word.  I guess it's more accurate to say "completely arbitrary".  Anyway, thanks for the position.

I'm trying to understand where you draw the line.  I have no case to state.  As far as your position goes it's "weird" IMO to say you're ok with government to fine individuals for acting poorly but not ok with government attaching behavioral strings to funds for other government use.  As you said, that happens all the time...funny that you're not ok with it in this situation.  Perhaps "weird" isn't the correct word.  I guess it's more accurate to say "completely arbitrary".  Anyway, thanks for the position.
Ok here is a tip. Stop worrying about my position.  I think that's the fundamental difference here.  I couldn't care what your position is and I am not trying to change it.  You have your thoughts and I respect them. I don't care about them, but I respect them.  Take less time trying to "understand where people draw the line" and just focus on you man.  Why is it so important to change other people's minds?  Notice how I NEVER do that?  You think what you think and God love you for it.   

THAT'S the true weird take from this exchange.  

And by the way, I can see how you don't know what word to use because your post made zero sense whatsoever.  Sooooo tiring man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here is a tip. Stop worrying about my position.  I think that's the fundamental difference here.  I couldn't care what your position is and I am not trying to change it.  You have your thoughts and I respect them. I don't care about them, but I respect them.  Take less time trying to "understand where people draw the line" and just focus on you man.  Why is it so important to change other people's minds?  Notice how I NEVER do that?  You think what you think and God love you for it.   

And by the way, I can see how you don't know what word to use because your post made zero sense whatsoever.  Sooooo tiring man.
:lmao:   Yes, it's probably stupid of me to try and understand others.  In no way do I think I can change YOUR mind.  That's of no interest to me whatsoever.  I'm simply trying to understand other positions.  For one of the :hophead:  around this place whining about the "echo chamber" this "stop trying to understand other people" shtick is comedy gold...can't make this kind of stuff up :thumbup:  

:lmao:   Yes, it's probably stupid of me to try and understand others.  In no way do I think I can change YOUR mind.  That's of no interest to me whatsoever.  I'm simply trying to understand other positions.  For one of the :hophead:  around this place whining about the "echo chamber" this "stop trying to understand other people" shtick is comedy gold...can't make this kind of stuff up :thumbup:  
Good stuff man.  Keep doing you.   Hey if trying to know why the posters here think what they think is fuel to your soul, I say filler up!!!

I'm unclear on the distinction between big stores and small stores.  Wouldn't 15 people crammed into a tiny bodega be worse than 100 people in a massive Super Walmart in terms of effective social distance?

In either case, though, customers refusing to wear masks adds health risks for the employees of said store.  The employees of said store deserve protection, do they not?  The way the employees get protection is via the government (fed, state, local, whatever) mandating that patrons be required to wear masks, mandating that stores follow strict capacity limits, etc.
if keeping people from congregating was really an issue (stopping sports, concerts, churches, groups of over 20 or 50, parties, pools etc) ... they'd never have allowed Wal_mart, Lowes and Home depot to be opened, right ?   the money of those monster businesses powered the decisions to allow them to stay open IMO

15,000 people going to walmart is a covid-19 hot spot ... 15,000 people split between 100's of smaller stores wouldn't be so

the emplyee's have had the best - PPE equipment in all shapes and forms ........ tell me, how many employee's have died from covid? like, got covid19 from being a cashier or stocker at Wal-Mart ?

ah....yes, starting with the false premise I thought we cleared up a while back...I see now.  Thanks for the clarification.  To be clear, people want you to wear a mask because it's what we as individuals can do to help prevent the spread of the virus, not because it "makes them feel safe".
its 100% about them feeling safe .........if it isn't, then you should have no problem with me NOT having a mask on

look for me? I personally don't care if you wear a mask or not - I approach it like h1n1 and yearly flu .... no different. I have ZERO PROBLEM with people not wearing mask ... if I don't like it, I'll remove myself from the area ... but I don't care

the virus has had 9 months to spread ... think about that ... if its fast moving like they said, we've almost all been exposed don't ya think ? 

the funniest part of all of this is people REALLY do think masks stop a virus

masks - home made masks, bandanna's, coverings not washed in weeks, people wearing them wrong, people handling all kinds of things and not washing hand and THEN handling the mask ...... and everyone is all of a sudden safe? 

lol

my my how far we've come since March on how masks are looked at

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/homemade-face-masks-coronavirus/

“Homemade face masks are not considered personal protective equipment [what healthcare professionals call PPEs], and should be an option only when there are absolutely no respirators or face masks left, and used with other protective equipment, such as face shields,” CDC spokesperson Arleen Porcell said in an email statement. “It’s important to note that this strategy is considered a last resort and does not adhere to the typical standards of care in the U.S., but acknowledges the hard realities on the ground.”

the emplyee's have had the best - PPE equipment in all shapes and forms ........ tell me, how many employee's have died from covid? like, got covid19 from being a cashier or stocker at Wal-Mart ?
This was published May 1st.  Not sure how relevant it is to your question as May 1 was forever ago, but yes retail employees have died from covid.  Maybe super market workers as of late June is more in line with your question - if so.

“Homemade face masks are not considered personal protective equipment [what healthcare professionals call PPEs], and should be an option only when there are absolutely no respirators or face masks left, and used with other protective equipment, such as face shields,” CDC spokesperson Arleen Porcell said in an email statement. “It’s important to note that this strategy is considered a last resort and does not adhere to the typical standards of care in the U.S., but acknowledges the hard realities on the ground.”
What health care workers are wearing when treating patients and what you and I wear when walking down one way supermarket aisles (with the "don't tread on me" crowd walking the opposite way) are not equivalent.  But yes, early on the wearing of masks by the general public was not really promoted as being beneficial.  But there were some competing interest here including but not limited to keeping healthcare workers supplied and to keep from having masks be seen as a substitute for social distancing.  

its 100% about them feeling safe .........if it isn't, then you should have no problem with me NOT having a mask on

look for me? I personally don't care if you wear a mask or not - I approach it like h1n1 and yearly flu .... no different. I have ZERO PROBLEM with people not wearing mask ... if I don't like it, I'll remove myself from the area ... but I don't care

the virus has had 9 months to spread ... think about that ... if its fast moving like they said, we've almost all been exposed don't ya think ? 
You're simply projecting at this point.  I don't care if you wear a mask or not.  It's a reflection on you, not me.  You do what you have to do.  Don't sit around pissing and moaning that your government has everything "shut down" though.  That's a result of not doing these simple things...it can all be avoided.

Good stuff man.  Keep doing you.   Hey if trying to know why the posters here think what they think is fuel to your soul, I say filler up!!!
To be clear, the "why" isn't all that important mostly because when its that difficult to get to the "what" in the first place, the why usually ends up being some :loco:  nonsense that I'm not even interested in.

To be clear, the "why" isn't all that important mostly because when its that difficult to get to the "what" in the first place, the why usually ends up being some :loco:  nonsense that I'm not even interested in.
Ok man.  Here's hoping you got what you wanted. 

supermike80 said:

If that's true, why are you bothering having a conversation about anything?   

Trying to understand what somebody's position is <> trying to change said position.  

Stealthycat said:
if keeping people from congregating was really an issue (stopping sports, concerts, churches, groups of over 20 or 50, parties, pools etc) ... they'd never have allowed Wal_mart, Lowes and Home depot to be opened, right ?   the money of those monster businesses powered the decisions to allow them to stay open IMO

15,000 people going to walmart is a covid-19 hot spot ... 15,000 people split between 100's of smaller stores wouldn't be so

You've been out shopping since this started, right?   

There is a difference between people huddled together for a couple hours and people walking around a store at a safe distance.  

Stealthycat said:
the funniest part of all of this is people REALLY do think masks stop a virus

masks - home made masks, bandanna's, coverings not washed in weeks, people wearing them wrong, people handling all kinds of things and not washing hand and THEN handling the mask ...... and everyone is all of a sudden safe? 

lol

my my how far we've come since March on how masks are looked at

Who around here do you think believes this?

If that's true, why are you bothering having a conversation about anything?   

Trying to understand what somebody's position is <> trying to change said position.  
See what's where we differ.  Fundamentally.  I am absolutely open to hearing what you all think. That's why I'm here.  Same reason I go to the other board, I like both sides.  The difference is, and where we differ is, I don't care WHY you think what you do.  Nor am I interested in changing your opinion.    

See what's where we differ.  Fundamentally.  I am absolutely open to hearing what you all think. That's why I'm here.  Same reason I go to the other board, I like both sides.  The difference is, and where we differ is, I don't care WHY you think what you do.  Nor am I interested in changing your opinion.    
Huh.  See, I find that exactly backwards.  I can get "what others think" anywhere, even from a poll on CNN or Fox.  A poll or a simple statement like "I am (or am not) in favor of legalized marijuana" doesn't help me challenge my own perceptions or learn anything useful.  Whereas, a detailed analysis of "I am (or am not) in favor of legalized marijuana because of reasons X, Y, and Z" allows me to consider information or thought processes that I may not have previously considered, and possibly gives me reason to change my own opinion.

I could liken it to fantasy football or stock investing.  The statement "I think Tom Brady will outscore David Carr" isn't terribly helpful to me without context, especially if I hear "I think David Carr will outscore Tom Brady" from a different source.  It's only the "...because of factors A, B, and C" addition that helps me to add knowledge to my own opinion.  Ditto stock investing; "Apple will go up" doesn't do much for me, but "Apple stock is poised to go up because of P and Q" might well cause me to buy Apple stock if reasons P and Q make sense to me.

Huh.  See, I find that exactly backwards.  I can get "what others think" anywhere, even from a poll on CNN or Fox.  A poll or a simple statement like "I am (or am not) in favor of legalized marijuana" doesn't help me challenge my own perceptions or learn anything useful.  Whereas, a detailed analysis of "I am (or am not) in favor of legalized marijuana because of reasons X, Y, and Z" allows me to consider information or thought processes that I may not have previously considered, and possibly gives me reason to change my own opinion.

I could liken it to fantasy football or stock investing.  The statement "I think Tom Brady will outscore David Carr" isn't terribly helpful to me without context, especially if I hear "I think David Carr will outscore Tom Brady" from a different source.  It's only the "...because of factors A, B, and C" addition that helps me to add knowledge to my own opinion.  Ditto stock investing; "Apple will go up" doesn't do much for me, but "Apple stock is poised to go up because of P and Q" might well cause me to buy Apple stock if reasons P and Q make sense to me.
Awesome.  We disagree.  Not surprised one bit.  And yet, I am fully cool with how you feel about it and certainly don't find it "backwards"  Not my business to judge how others think.

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
This was published May 1st.  Not sure how relevant it is to your question as May 1 was forever ago, but yes retail employees have died from covid.  Maybe super market workers as of late June is more in line with your question - if so.
it relevant because the ineffectiveness of masks then is still the same today 

I wonder how many got sick at work or at home? that's unknown 

Awesome.  We disagree.  Not surprised one bit.  And yet, I am fully cool with how you feel about it and certainly don't find it "backwards"  Not my business to judge how others think.
Consider this a legitimate question, not a gotcha or trolling or anything like that.

Normally (per my post you quoted), I would be curious why you're only interested in the "I think X..." part and not the "...because of Y" part, as it's the latter that I find interesting.  Normally, I would ask why.  Before I do that in this case, I'll ask something different.  I get that you don't want to know why I (royal "I", as it applies not just to me, but also to The Commish and others who have posted in the thread) think something, but you can see that I (again, royal "I") want to know why you do.  Are you OK with me asking you those follow-up questions on "why do think X", or do you find those questions offensive/bothersome?

Consider this a legitimate question, not a gotcha or trolling or anything like that.

Normally (per my post you quoted), I would be curious why you're only interested in the "I think X..." part and not the "...because of Y" part, as it's the latter that I find interesting.  Normally, I would ask why.  Before I do that in this case, I'll ask something different.  I get that you don't want to know why I (royal "I", as it applies not just to me, but also to The Commish and others who have posted in the thread) think something, but you can see that I (again, royal "I") want to know why you do.  Are you OK with me asking you those follow-up questions on "why do think X", or do you find those questions offensive/bothersome?
You can do whatever you want.  I don't care.  It isn't up to me to decide what you can or cannot do.  

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
What health care workers are wearing when treating patients and what you and I wear when walking down one way supermarket aisles (with the "don't tread on me" crowd walking the opposite way) are not equivalent.  But yes, early on the wearing of masks by the general public was not really promoted as being beneficial.  But there were some competing interest here including but not limited to keeping healthcare workers supplied and to keep from having masks be seen as a substitute for social distancing.  
exactly ! not equivalent ..... and promoted or not the reality is my home made mask isn't going to do much at all - that's the truth of it and if anyone really thinks a virus can be stopped by wearing a dinky, poorly worn and rarely washed home made mouth/nose covering they're very much mistaken IMO but hey, if ya'll want to feel safe I'll wear one in public

but it doesn't make you safer, not really, not IMO

You can do whatever you want.  I don't care.  It isn't up to me to decide what you can or cannot do.  
Of course not, but I would want to respect your wishes.  If you said, "Hey RC, I find those types of questions bothersome and would prefer you don't ask them", then I wouldn't.  If you said, "Sure, those questions are cool and I'll do my best to answer them honestly", then I'll keep asking.

Of course not, but I would want to respect your wishes.  If you said, "Hey RC, I find those types of questions bothersome and would prefer you don't ask them", then I wouldn't.  If you said, "Sure, those questions are cool and I'll do my best to answer them honestly", then I'll keep asking.
Understood.

Who around here do you think believes this?
well it seems many believe we need mandatory masks

we can look at reports and information that shows home made masks are not PPE and don't do a good job 

you can look around you when out and about and see people are wearing non-PPE masks

well it seems many believe we need mandatory masks

we can look at reports and information that shows home made masks are not PPE and don't do a good job 

you can look around you when out and about and see people are wearing non-PPE masks
That doesn't mean people believe that masks stop the virus.  

exactly ! not equivalent ..... and promoted or not the reality is my home made mask isn't going to do much at all - that's the truth of it and if anyone really thinks a virus can be stopped by wearing a dinky, poorly worn and rarely washed home made mouth/nose covering they're very much mistaken IMO but hey, if ya'll want to feel safe I'll wear one in public

but it doesn't make you safer, not really, not IMO
The effectiveness of homemade cloth mask or disposable non medical grade mask or whatever is all up for debate.  And I think that the crude testing that been done has been that "it depends".  So masks are at best an additional safety measure to help with all of the other measures that need to be in place.  To be honest I think the real debate over wearing masks in the health community is whether or not masks are counterproductive.  Do people wear mask "instead of" doing the things that are more effective or "in addition to" doing those other things.   To me if you wish to argue against mandating wearing of masks then you argue that people wearing masks pose a greater safety risk because they more often substitute wearing a mask for social distance or hand washing which are more effective.  (Of course you should have something to support this belief.)  In other words you counter "we don't know how effective such masks are but any little bit helps", or specifically "it can't hurt" by showing that it does.  That would be a more interesting discussion than the debate as to whether or not the government has enough of a compelling interest in the health of its citizens or residents to infringe on a right to decide to wear a masks.   Infringing on rights should require a good reason and that the infringement be actually effective.  (see discussions on bans on drugs, gambling, abortion, etc.)   

Is mandating a mask a tiny little bit of extra protection or counterproductive?  

Well that's an interesting question.  There are some that feel having a mask on your face not only offers no real protection against this virus but can also make it worse by causing you to touch your face more often, which we all agree isn't good and by giving people a false sense of security.  

So there is that.   I have no clue which is the right answer.  So i wear a mask.

re: effectiveness of masks - think of it in terms of Rt - the transmission rate.  If Rt>1, the virus spreads.  if Rt<1, the virus eventually dies out.  Rt is the average number of people that one average infected person spreads the virus to.  

If the masks can bring down Rt by 10%, that could mean the difference between the virus spreading thru the population or not.  It could mean the difference between a wildfire or a slow burn.

masks don't need to be 100% effective to make a difference.

re: effectiveness of masks - think of it in terms of Rt - the transmission rate.  If Rt>1, the virus spreads.  if Rt<1, the virus eventually dies out.  Rt is the average number of people that one average infected person spreads the virus to.  

If the masks can bring down Rt by 10%, that could mean the difference between the virus spreading thru the population or not.  It could mean the difference between a wildfire or a slow burn.

If you're going to just make up numbers why not go with 20% or 40%...And if the 10% brings it down from 3.0 to 2.7 is it REALLY that effective?

If you're going to just make up numbers why not go with 20% or 40%...And if the 10% brings it down from 3.0 to 2.7 is it REALLY that effective?
point is, even a little bit of improvement can make a big difference.

I wonder if anyone has done studies on effective of masks WRT Rt?  that is, examine local areas with mask mandates vs without and compare Rt.

point is, even a little bit of improvement can make a big difference.

I wonder if anyone has done studies on effective of masks WRT Rt?  that is, examine local areas with mask mandates vs without and compare Rt.
Well that logic is faulty.  A little bit of improvement might make a little bit of difference.  Or it might not at all.  

To be fair, you SEEM to be here for more than just misrepresenting peoples' positions and creating straw men to attack, so I'd expect this to be the case.  It's been shown time and time again on this board that when two people seek to understand each other better, things go well.  If they aren't going well, chances are one or both don't really care to understand the why.  Now we know the deal :shrug:  

a quick google search:

Impact of population mask wearing on Covid-19 post lockdown

Whereas mask use had a relatively minor benefit on critical-care and mortality rates when transmissibility (Reff) was high, the reduction on deaths was dramatic as the effective R approached 1, as might be expected after aggressive social-distancing measures such as wide-spread lockdowns. One major concern with COVID-19 is its potential to overwhelm healthcare infrastructures, even in resource-rich settings, with one third of hospitalized patients requiring critical-care. We incorporated this into our model, increasing death rates for when critical-care resources have been exhausted. Our simple model shows that modest efficacy of masks could avert substantial mortality in this scenario. Importantly, the effects on mortality became hyper-sensitive to mask-wearing as the effective R approaches 1, i.e. near the tipping point of when the infection trajectory is expected to revert to exponential growth, as would be expected after effective lockdown. Our model suggests that mask-wearing might exert maximal benefit as nations plan their post-lockdown strategies and suggests that mask-wearing should be included in further more sophisticated models of the current pandemic.
so masks aren't effective when Rt is large - i.e. NY had Rt >3.5 in March.  Masks wouldn't do much to stop that.  But when you are down near 1, like most of the country is right now, masks can play a huge role.

Face mask use in the general population and optimal resource allocation during the COVID-19 pandemic

We found that face masks, even with a limited protective effect, can reduce infections and deaths, and can delay the peak time of the epidemic. We consistently found that a random distribution of masks in the population was a suboptimal strategy when resources were limited. Prioritizing coverage among the elderly was more beneficial, while allocating a proportion of available resources for diagnosed infected cases provided further mitigation under a range of scenarios. In summary, face mask use, particularly for a pathogen with relatively common asymptomatic carriage, can effectively provide some mitigation of transmission, while balancing provision between vulnerable healthy persons and symptomatic persons can optimize mitigation efforts when resources are limited.
I think this article is talking about N95 masks specifically, not so much generic fabric masks.

Mask or no mask for COVID-19: A public health and market study

We consider three key factors that contribute to the effectiveness of wearing a quality mask in reducing the transmission risk, including the mask aerosol reduction rate, mask population coverage, and mask availability. We first simulate the impact of these three factors on the virus reproduction number and infection attack rate in a general population. Using the intervened viral transmission route by wearing a mask, we further model the impact of mask-wearing on the epidemic curve with increasing mask awareness and availability. Our study indicates that wearing a face mask can be effectively combined with social distancing to flatten the epidemic curve.
this paper is worth digging into further.

To be clear.  I wasn't really arguing the case that mask were counterproductive, just saying that it was a position that could make sense with supporting evidence.

I think it might be difficult to separate impacts because I'd guess that places with effective mask mandates are places where the public are already taking other measures seriously and vice versa.   And while I offered that people might see masks as a substitute for other measures, I'm guessing that in practice this is offset by those where wearing mask reinforces good behavior so we are largely left with whatever effectiveness a mask actually has a bit of extra protection.  But I cannot effectively demonstrate this with evidence or links.

point of view would dictate that - goggle could add that protection, full helmet mask things .... why not add them too ?

what we CAN agree on is mandating masks is telling people what to do. we can agree that most masks people are using isn't doing much good at all

we can agree that people have a huge false sense of security too about it all because they've believed what CNN has said

if masks don't stop a virus WHY WEAR THEM ?
Masks alone, I don't think anybody is saying that or has said that.  They are a piece of the equation.   

IMO by your wording you think that people believe wearing a mask puts their risk to 0 or will make it so their are 0 cases.    I am pretty sure most in here know that the masks aren't for them in the first place. 

we can agree that most masks people are using isn't doing much good at all

we can agree that people have a huge false sense of security too about it all because they've believed what CNN has said
disagree on these points.

1. even marginally effective masks can have a huge impact across the population.

2. While I can't speak for everyone, I certainly do not have a sense of security, false or not.  Further, I don't watch CNN so I have no idea what they say.  

I do wonder why only one side of the equation has the personal responsibility or is capable of making choices.   If wearing a mask is a great imposition why can't you choose to stay at home or quit your job?  

Still trying to wrap my head around why this is such a battle in here, especially from people who have said they wear masks in public anyway.   Is it just that element that somebody is telling you to do so, and most likely that somebody is of the liberal leaning type?

You yourself recently posted an article stating that cloth masks effectively reduce airborne transmission:

"very simple masks, like these homemade cotton masks, do really well to stop the majority of these respiratory droplets"
I assume because you didn't actually read it, but anyway.

if masks don't stop a virus WHY WEAR THEM ?
Masks alone, I don't think anybody is saying that or has said that.  They are a piece of the equation.   
While I agree with the bolded in red ... I think it's more accurate to say "Most kinds of commonly-used face coverings effectively mitigate against both virus-laden exhaled aerosols AND inhaling same". "Effectively mitigate" -- not "eliminate". But the virus doesn't need to be stopped -- curtailing it makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

This will change no minds in this thread, but may perhaps inform a sideline reader.

While I agree with the bolded in red ... I think it's more accurate to say "Most kinds of commonly-used face coverings effectively mitigate against both virus-laden exhaled aerosols AND inhaling same". "Effectively mitigate" -- not "eliminate". But the virus doesn't need to be stopped -- curtailing it makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

This will change no minds in this thread, but may perhaps inform a sideline reader.
Good post.  Thanks.  

I am a doctor and there absolutely is not. It makes no physiologic sense. If you think it does, explain to me how that would work. 
Short of facial trauma/deformity rendering the mask ineffective, there is no medical diagnosis that should preclude wearing a mask. I can imagine some people with anxiety disorders might feel like they’re being smothered as well.

Users who are viewing this thread