What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First time to do an eight team local league draft (1 Viewer)

rzrback77

Footballguy
It is a pretty standard straight one ppr league with a bit unusual three player flex. We start

QB - 1

RB - 1 - 3

WR - 2 - 4

TE - 1 - 3

PK - 1

DST - 1

With the TE scoring being one ppr, same as WR and RB, I am considering loading up on RB and WR, taking two TEs and drafting only one each at QB, PK and DST. We have 20 rounds, so a total of 160 players will be drafted. It seems that a decent QB should always be on the waiver wire and a decent DST match-up available most weeks as well on the wire.

This was the result of two owners temporarily dropping out, likely due to COVID, but don't remember ever doing an eight team draft and would appreciate comments or pointers from those who have done this before.

Thanks...... I will hang up and listen.

Personally I wouldn't even play in a 10 team league, because everyone has studs and it comes down to who you play each week and that is probably the weakest part of me playing FF.
Yea, was at a company that was going under and the last year before the shutdown we were down to 8 people. It was not very fun, every match might as well be a coin flip. Having that many flex instead of dedicated positions is odd, it is already an 8 team league, how much more flexibility do you need. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I wouldn't even play in a 10 team league, because everyone has studs and it comes down to who you play each week and that is probably the weakest part of me playing FF.
Long time local league that I have enjoyed for almost 20 years and the number of starting positions does somewhat spread the wealth. Thanks for the comment, but it wasn't much benefit to anyone that is caught playing in a smaller league this year due to some owner indifference.

Yea, was at a company that was going under and the last year before the shutdown we were down to 8 people. It was not very fun, every match might as well be a coin flip. Having that many flex instead of dedicated positions is odd, it is already an 8 team league, how much more flexibility do you need. 
The flex positions came directly from the ten-team league, not a change made for the smaller league size. 

Long time local league that I have enjoyed for almost 20 years and the number of starting positions does somewhat spread the wealth. Thanks for the comment, but it wasn't much benefit to anyone that is caught playing in a smaller league this year due to some owner indifference.
Same thing happened to 2 leagues of mine this yr due to Covid 

12 to 10

I don’t like it but I want to play so ...

I have to agree with everyone else - a ten team league is already pushing it.  At 8 teams you're basically just seeing which guys studs score less than the other guys studs this week.  There's no incentive to work the waivers to find a hidden gem, no reason to worry if your top pick goes down, no real challenge.

If my league went down to 8 teams I'd sit the year out.

Smaller leagues mean top line studs matter more. I would be looking for sure at 1-2 of the top TEs To corner the market and maybe Lamar/Mahomes if they work out. Start with RBs. Wait on WR. Definitely play the WW for DST and K. 

Isn't one of the axioms of League size effect on skill vs luck: ' the smaller the League, the larger the Starting Lineup' ? One of the first Leagues I ever organized and ran, back in the mid-90's was an 8-Teamer. We played one Season of 1QB/1PK/1D-ST with 7 other slots that operated as 'Pro Set', 'Wishbone' and Run and Shoot'. Halfway through the Season we knew we either had to add more Teams or more Starters. Had a pretty cool group of dudes who wanted to try to make our original 8 more competitive and fun before adding Teams, so we increased Starting Lineups to 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2PK/2D-ST...that was a great Season. Waiver wire re-invigorated, trading increased, Champ really worked to earn his $$$...it was a work League at a large restaurant that drew so much attention that it blew up into a 12-Teamer the following year, 2 10-Team Leagues after that, and 2 12-Team Leagues the year after. Of course with the League size increasing, Starting Lineups immediately shrunk back to more conventional norms. The guys in my Original 8 that remained involved through the several years that League existed for, we always talked about starting a side League of 8-Teams and going back and playing with the expanded Starting Lineups, but we never did. Something always got in the way...but that one Season was pretty magnificent. I haven't played in an 8-Teamer since - FF just started blowing up, and they just didn't exist in any circles I was playing in.

...but that one Season was tremendously fun, exciting and competitive as hell.

If possible, you might try to convince your guys that dropping to 8 means having to switch some things up, otherwise it's going to be less fun and more lucky than what you're used to.

If you're guys are solid players, I'd hope they'd be intrigued by the idea of making changes designed to keep things competitive and skill-based.

Not sure this is really what you're asking for, but your post got me thinking, and, well...

nittanylion said:
Isn't one of the axioms of League size effect on skill vs luck: ' the smaller the League, the larger the Starting Lineup' ? One of the first Leagues I ever organized and ran, back in the mid-90's was an 8-Teamer. We played one Season of 1QB/1PK/1D-ST with 7 other slots that operated as 'Pro Set', 'Wishbone' and Run and Shoot'. Halfway through the Season we knew we either had to add more Teams or more Starters. Had a pretty cool group of dudes who wanted to try to make our original 8 more competitive and fun before adding Teams, so we increased Starting Lineups to 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2PK/2D-ST...that was a great Season. Waiver wire re-invigorated, trading increased, Champ really worked to earn his $$$...it was a work League at a large restaurant that drew so much attention that it blew up into a 12-Teamer the following year, 2 10-Team Leagues after that, and 2 12-Team Leagues the year after. Of course with the League size increasing, Starting Lineups immediately shrunk back to more conventional norms. The guys in my Original 8 that remained involved through the several years that League existed for, we always talked about starting a side League of 8-Teams and going back and playing with the expanded Starting Lineups, but we never did. Something always got in the way...but that one Season was pretty magnificent. I haven't played in an 8-Teamer since - FF just started blowing up, and they just didn't exist in any circles I was playing in.

If possible, you might try to convince your guys that dropping to 8 means having to switch some things up, otherwise it's going to be less fun and more lucky than what you're used to.

If you're guys are solid players, I'd hope they'd be intrigued by the idea of making changes designed to keep things competitive and skill-based.

Not sure this is really what you're asking for, but your post got me thinking, and, well...
This is the direction I would go in as well, if I was commissioner of an 8 team league. You need something to differentiate teams, which usually happens deeper in the draft. 

I would lobby the league to cut back on the flex positions. 

every team will be loaded regardless, so having all those flex spots actually devalues your rare commodities like TE. If you can all play 1-3 TEs, teams with 1 good TE will play 1.

were I setting up an 8-team league as commish, i would probably weight TE scoring heavier (1.5 PPR, maybe boost yardage a little too) and only have 1 offensive flex spot.

and I would absolutely make it a start 2-QB league. Even in a 10-team format there’s a glut of QBs, so for 8 teams there’ll be teams streaming QBs in a start-1 set-up. 

i like to keep things challenging in a smaller league - seems like it takes all the challenge out when every team is loaded & can flex whoever they want.  It’ll come down to dumb luck of who’s studs stay healthy and/or have the best timing against other teams on the schedule.  Which happens a little anyway, but an 8-team league with so many flex spots & only 1 QB exaggerated this a lot.

one man’s opinion. 2 QBs & limited flex + TE premium scoring would help make your league a lot more fun. 

Yup... if it's 8 teams, you fairly well NEED to start 2 QBs.  3 RBs, 3 WRs, 2 TEs... you need to introduce into the 8-team league some of the scarcity that makes fantasy football interesting in a larger league (with smaller starting lineups).
Agreed. Didn’t see your post before I posted but we touched on some of the same things. 

Stephen Holloway said:
It is a pretty standard straight one ppr league with a bit unusual three player flex. We start

QB - 1

RB - 1 - 3

WR - 2 - 4

TE - 1 - 3

PK - 1

DST - 1
Agree with all the others that 8 isn't even worth it and is just luck anyways.  However, you can make a few changes to help somewhat alleviate this.  If you dropped this year to 8 teams, adjust the starting line ups and that will save face for the league a bit.

I'm a bit confused on your flexes.  You said there's three flexes... can you not use all 3 flex positions on RB's?  If so, then shouldn't your original post read 1-4 RB' (1 being minimum, plus the 3 flex spots). 

I agree you need to up your starting line up a lot.  If it's 3 max RB's, that means only 24 RB's are started each week?  So a bunch of NFL starters aren't even involved.  I wouldn't think twice here and immediately change it to the below (a TWO flex league)

QB:  2
RB:  2-4
WR: 3-5
TE: 1-3
PK- 1
DST- 1 (heck, even 2 d's could be fun)

Stephen Holloway said:
@Moderator --- please delete this useless thread
It's not useless - people are just being league snobs while ignoring the reason why you're doing an 8 team league.

I know you probably don't want to change the rules for one season but tweaking the starting positions may make it more challenging/interesting. Something like:

2QB

3RB

3WR

2TE

FL

DST

wgoldsph said:
I have to agree with everyone else - a ten team league is already pushing it.  At 8 teams you're basically just seeing which guys studs score less than the other guys studs this week.  There's no incentive to work the waivers to find a hidden gem, no reason to worry if your top pick goes down, no real challenge.

If my league went down to 8 teams I'd sit the year out.
I wouldn’t. It gives me something to do 

The beauty of redraft is that it's a perfect format for a Season corrupted by something like what we're going through now. I started agonizing over how to handle the Dynasty League I founded and commish, going into it's 20th Season, back in April. I postponed May RFA Month while I continued to ponder our options. After 3 months of turning over every permutation I could think of, I had put together 3 long Threads of contingencies and concessions regarding how the 2020 Season might play out. Prior to posting any of that, I presented a case for 'punting' 2020 entirely, as an equal, if not more palatable, option than trying to 'play through'. After much discussion, we generally agreed that, as all 14 of us also played in several redraft Leagues, we could use those to scratch the 2020 itch, and after conducting RFA in August, and our August Rookie/Free Agent Draft, that we'd put our League 'on ice' until after the 20-21 Super Bowl (we are going to allow Owners to trade - essentially the 'on ice' time is just a several-week-long extension of the time period between our Rookie/Free Agent Draft and the deadline for Contracts/Cuts/Practice Squad designations to be made).

I'm going off on a tangent. The point is, redraft Leagues can, by and large, be considered 'one-off's', and there are little to no long-term negative effects from operating under all manner of foundational changes from year-to-year. If you have good Owners, it could be quite fun and exciting deciding what starting lineup/scoring/scheduling options to implement in an effort to minimize the potentially negative effects of C19, while providing a fun and challenging format to play.

Good Luck. Whooo piiig soooiiieee!

In an 8 team league, everyone has good players.  Your 5th round pick will be 32-40--which is typically mid-third round.  Everyone is going to have good players.  You need to have as many great ones as possible.  I'd be quicker to look at Jackson/Mahommes and Kelce/Kittle.  

nittanylion said:

We ran someth9ing similar to 'Pro Set', 'Wishbone' and Run and Shoot'.

The options featured either multiple RBs, WRs or TEs, with TEs worth 1.5 pts/ reception

The unique feature was that the home team dictated the formation to be used by both teams

This prevented a few teams with running away with the best backs

Each team needed a somewhat balanced roster to deal with multiple formations

Maybe make it more like DFS but limit the number of times you can use a player.  Or do a full on redraft every week.  With only 8 owners it would go quick because you would only have to draft a starting lineup.  This also takes the COVID threat away of losing a guy for weeks at a time.  Every week you have a new team.  Top scoring team from previous week gets first pick. 

This is the perfect year to try something different and if it doesn't work, oh well. 

nittanylion said:

This is the exact setup of my 8 team auction draft league I’ve Commished for over a decade. The original guys keep coming back and have told me they will never leave because if the unconventional setup and other things we’ve done to spice things up. 

It's not useless - people are just being league snobs while ignoring the reason why you're doing an 8 team league.

I know you probably don't want to change the rules for one season but tweaking the starting positions may make it more challenging/interesting. Something like:

2QB

3RB

3WR

2TE

FL

DST
Agree

In an 8 team league, everyone has good players.  Your 5th round pick will be 32-40--which is typically mid-third round.  Everyone is going to have good players.  You need to have as many great ones as possible.  I'd be quicker to look at Jackson/Mahommes and Kelce/Kittle.  
This.  It’s all about getting as many difference makers as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread