What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (2 Viewers)

Something for you guys to chew on...in the other thread I found this list from our GB Dinsy of his top 25.  Very light on George.  I'll say that there is at least one song on here that won't be in my top 290.

#1 My Sweet Lord (Harrison)

#2 Instant Karma (Lennon)

#3 What is Life (Harrison)

#4 Imagine (Lennon)

#5 Silly Love Songs (McCartney)

#6 Band on the Run (McCartney)

#7 It Don't Come Easy (Starr [Harrison])

#8 With a Little Luck (McCartney)

#9 Jet (McCartney)

#10 Live and Let Die (McCartney)

#11 Listen to What the Man Says (McCartney)

#12 Oh Yoko! (Lennon)

#13 Stand by Me (Lennon [King])

#14 Photograph (Starr)

#15 Give Me Love (Harrison)

#16 Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)

#17 Give Peace a Chance (Lennon)

#18 Another Day (McCartney)

#19 Happy X-mas (Lennon)

#20 Whatever Gets You Through the Night (Lennon)

#21 Let Em In (McCartney)

#22 Starting Over (Lennon)

#23 Watching the Wheels (Lennon)

#24 Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)

#25 Woman (Lennon)
If I had to guess one song of that top 25 that didn't make your 290 it would be "Oh Yoko!"

Should we have a contest again?  We should have a contest again.  I've been trying to make more charitable donations than ever given the state of the world, and this would give me a reason to make even more, to charities you guys can choose.

Guesses on my top song?  My top ten?  Open to ideas of what you would find most fun.

Should we have a contest again?  We should have a contest again.  I've been trying to make more charitable donations than ever given the state of the world, and this would give me a reason to make even more, to charities you guys can choose.

Guesses on my top song?  My top ten?  Open to ideas of what you would find most fun.
Guesses on the best ice-cream shops in yer home town? 

I'm gonna get started.  As I mentioned in my post that no one read, I'm going to post my lowest ranked from each dude as #287-290.

Remember I like all these songs!  And that you're not going to!  And you'll have some you like that I won't have in my top 290.  

Since Sir Paul has the most songs on here, it's only fair that he gets #290.

290.  Nothing For Free (bonus track on deluxe version of Eygpt Station - released 2018)

(Paul song #141)

Spotify

YouTube

This song is a helluva lot of fun.  Makes me dance around in my seat.  I expect that some will despise the "OK OK OK" part, which has Paul clearly trying to sound "modern" or hip, and ultimately it's that "old guy trying to sound young" aspect that has this last on my list.  But that's Paul, always staying on top of, or often well ahead of, musical trends.  The sometimes-triple-tracked vocals and reverb are either great or distracting depending upon who you are, but the fantastic bass line is undeniable.  Not a huge fan of the bridge, but the chorus with the great hooks gets me shaking my hips again every time.  Nice little outro wraps up the song well, too.

To me, this one harkens back to the oft-criticized McCartney II, an album that will get a lot of discussion in this list.  One theme that we're going to see with Paul throughout this countdown is his willingness to experiment, on his own and with various collaborators.  The breadth of his music is extraordinary and well more than any of his Beatle-mates.

This track was co-written and produced by Ryan Tedder, who is a member of OneRepublic, which apparently is a band.  It became part of the Deluxe Edition of Egypt Station, Paul's most recent album (2018), but was only released on this edition available at Target.  I'll be discussing Egypt Station in more detail when we get to the next song from that album.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably won't know 3/4 of these songs but I'll enjoy the writeups.  

Btw, Ryan Tedder= One Republic
Fixed - thanks!

FYI for everyone, I'm using post #2 in the thread to keep the running list.  First number is overall ranking; second is Beatle ranking - e.g., this was "141PM."

Is the Spotify link working?  I'm not as confident in my linking there.

Not sure what the protocols are here, but I’ll throw out a top ten off the top of my head. If there’s money on the line, I reserve the right to modify.

1) Imagine. There is only one right answer here. (I’m a John guy)

2) Maybe I’m Amazed (might as well be a Beatles song)

#3-10 in no particular order, all a far cry from the top two: My Sweet Lord, Live and Let Die, Working Class Hero, God, Band on the Run, What Is Life, Coming Up, Put it There.

290.  Nothing For Free (bonus track on deluxe version of Eygpt Station - released 2018)

Spotify

YouTube

This song is a helluva lot of fun.  Makes me dance around in my seat.  I expect that some will despise the "OK OK OK" part, which has Paul clearly trying to sound "modern" or hip, and ultimately it's that "old guy trying to sound young" aspect that has this last on my list.  But that's Paul, always staying on top of, or often well ahead of, musical trends.  The sometimes-triple-tracked vocals and reverb are either great or distracting depending upon who you are, but the fantastic bass line is undeniable.  Not a huge fan of the bridge, but the chorus with the great hooks gets me shaking my hips again every time.  Nice little outro wraps up the song well, too.

To me, this one harkens back to the oft-criticized McCartney II, an album that will get a lot of discussion in this list.  One theme that we're going to see with Paul throughout this countdown is his willingness to experiment, on his own and with various collaborators.  The breadth of his music is extraordinary and well more than any of his Beatle-mates. 
I suspect this is not the only time we will see the phrase “fantastic bass line” in a Paul entry.

McCartney II - that’s the one with Temporary Secretary on it, innit? Hmmm...

289.  R U Ready? (Liverpool 8 - 2008)

(Ringo song #29)

Spotify

YouTube

Speaking of annoying devices, this song would be ranked much higher were it not for the use of this recording technique.  Combine that with the unnecessary "R U" in the title (you ain't no Purple One, Ringo), and there are enough irritants to make this my lowest ranked Ringo song that I still enjoy anyway.  In listening to the 20 Ringo studio albums, I became convinced that Ringo is at his best when singing country music, and so this old-timey song sounds great for his voice, or at least it does insofar as I can actually hear his voice.

This song comes from Ringo's album, Liverpool 8, released in 2008 and representing a pretty big change in Ringo's recording team.  After 10 years and at least five albums together, Ringo ditched his long-time producer and songwriting partner Mark Hudson in the midst of recording this album and turned to former Eurythmic Dave Stewart to re-produce it, leading to a delay in its release that I doubt anyone noticed.  As far as I know, Ringo never gave specifics on the falling out with Hudson, but did indicate it had to do with loyalty and trust rather than artistic matters.  Intriguing.  How much of a jerk do you have to be to piss off Ringo that much!?!

Despite the change in producers, I don't see a huge difference between the prior albums and this one.  Ringo continues his usual themes of peace and love and singing a lot about the old days in Liverpool (in the title song) and referencing his time in the Beatles (in "Gone Were the Days").  He ended up with a generally amiable if not spectacular record, and while this is the only song from this album that will appear on my countdown, I'd never object if someone wanted to play this record.  It's sweet and unpretentious like most Ringo records, perfectly listenable on a relaxed and easygoing night.  If you're interested in more songs from this album, I recommend checking out "Liverpool 8" and "Pasodobles."

This album did end up getting Ringo into the unusual-for-Ringo situation of having a bunch of people pissed at him.  Liverpool was designated by the EU to be its "Capital of Culture" for 2008, and just before the album was released Ringo sang the title track, "Liverpool 8," at the opening ceremony.  All went well there, with tens of thousands of appreciative fans, but a few days later Ringo made this appearance on a talk show and asked if he missed Liverpool.  As it turns out, "Ah no" was not the right answer to that question!  I'm not sure Liverpool has yet forgiven him.  On the other hand, Liverpool named its airport after John Lennon.  Poor Ringo.

Not sure what the protocols are here, but I’ll throw out a top ten off the top of my head. If there’s money on the line, I reserve the right to modify.

1) Imagine. There is only one right answer here. (I’m a John guy)

2) Maybe I’m Amazed (might as well be a Beatles song)

#3-10 in no particular order, all a far cry from the top two: My Sweet Lord, Live and Let Die, Working Class Hero, God, Band on the Run, What Is Life, Coming Up, Put it There.
Is this your top 10?  A guess at my top 10?  Both?

WHY DO YOU HATE PAUL SO MUCH!?!?

(glad my 47 year suspension is over in time for this)
Welcome!!!  Now if we could combine your "why do you hate Paul" with Binky's "here's a screaming goat every time you post a George song," I'd feel like I was back home.

McCartney II - that’s the one with Temporary Secretary on it, innit? Hmmm...
'Tis.  Brace yourself.  By the way, apologies as I intended to wait until your Neil countdown was over before starting this one, but then I got too eager.  I think they can co-exist.

Two in and these are already in the wrong order.😀

That Ringo song sounded like if you mixed “She’ll be coming round the mountain” and some awful vacation bible school song. Turrible.

In short:  No. I am most certainly not ready.

The other song was a decent listen, but not  “I gotta hear this again” good.

Two in and these are already in the wrong order.😀

That Ringo song sounded like if you mixed “She’ll be coming round the mountain” and some awful vacation bible school song. Turrible.

In short:  No. I am most certainly not ready.

The other song was a decent listen, but not  “I gotta hear this again” good.
Who invited you to the thread?  ;)   Oh yeah, that was me.

I admit to having a fondness for "She'll be coming round the mountain" and vacation bible school songs.  @simey, back me up on this.

Fixed - thanks!

FYI for everyone, I'm using post #2 in the thread to keep the running list.  First number is overall ranking; second is Beatle ranking - e.g., this was "141PM."

Is the Spotify link working?  I'm not as confident in my linking there.
When I clicked on the Spotify link, I got the album to pop up in the player, but the song did not play.

FYI for everyone, I'm using post #3 in the thread to criticize and mock crap like this!!!!!!

‘Tis.  Brace yourself.  By the way, apologies as I intended to wait until your Neil countdown was over before starting this one, but then I got too eager.  I think they can co-exist.
Definitely. Mine has a much more specialized audience so it’s not like we’re asking the whole board to follow two countdowns at once. I do hope you tune in for #16, #13 and #12 because I think they’re very much up your alley.

As for Mark Hudson, he got to make sexy time with Goldie Hawn at her peak (he is Kate Hudson’s father), so he may be the kind of guy who thinks he can do no wrong. I imagine Ringo saw enough of that for one lifetime in the ‘60s.

Definitely. Mine has a much more specialized audience so it’s not like we’re asking the whole board to follow two countdowns at once. I do hope you tune in for #16, #13 and #12 because I think they’re very much up your alley.

As for Mark Hudson, he got to make sexy time with Goldie Hawn at her peak (he is Kate Hudson’s father), so he may be the kind of guy who thinks he can do no wrong. I imagine Ringo saw enough of that for one lifetime in the ‘60s.
Oh, had no idea about Mark Hudson!

I got behind in your thread because I was working on my discussion guide for this ( :oldunsure:  ), but caught up again last night.  I'll be there!

I will never understand the love for Band on the run. I am happy for those who enjoy it but I don't get it.

I will never understand the love for Band on the run. I am happy for those who enjoy it but I don't get it.
I always liked it but I didn’t totally get it either until i was in the Meadowlands about 5 years ago with 50k fans belting it out at the top of our lungs along with Sir Paul.

By far my favorite moment of his show, including all the Beatles songs he played.

I love it. It's a three part medley, and it's great. Songs within a song. It reminds me of fun times in the 70s.

Oh, had no idea about Mark Hudson!

I got behind in your thread because I was working on my discussion guide for this ( :oldunsure:  ), but caught up again last night.  I'll be there!
Mark and his brothers (Bill and Brett) we’re basically a harder-rocking Monkees or Osmonds type act. They had three short-lived TV variety shows in the 70s: The Hudson Brothers Show, The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show and Bonkers! I remember watching one as a kid. It was probably Bonkers! because the other two aired when I was really young. Imagine slapstick comedy sketches interspersed with performances of original songs that sounded like Foreigner knockoffs. The 70s were a hell of a thing.

Mark was the one with the giant stache. Only in the 70s would that get you Goldie Hawn. 😂

Good by me. And easy nuff to do. 👍

Ya know that I was just having fun with the moc'n.

Really look'n forward to this.
Of course, and I appreciate the offer of help.  I'd take you up on it, but I'm putting a ton of work into this and don't mind requiring people to click two times*  if they want to use the Spotify links.

*On the ceiling if you want me.

I'm having some chips and hummus right now and then will turn to the next song.  From George!

The song. One of the few songs I will change the station.
I liked it the first 7,463,245 times I heard it. Then something snapped. Classic rock radio in my 20's and 30's ruined a lot of songs for me. "Here's 'Won't Get Fooled Again'... and again, and again... 

and thanks for the tag @krista4

I liked it the first 7,463,245 times I heard it. Then something snapped. Classic rock radio in my 20's and 30's ruined a lot of songs for me. "Here's 'Won't Get Fooled Again'... and again, and again... 

and thanks for the tag @krista4
Glad to see you!  I know you didn't post a ton in the Beatles thread, but you were there a little, and I thought you might be interested.  If nothing else, you're just always a great poster on topics of interest to me.  (Until you disagree with anything in this thread; then you suck.)

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
289.  R U Ready? (Liverpool 8 - 2008)

(Ringo song #29)

Spotify

YouTube

Speaking of annoying devices, this song would be ranked much higher were it not for the use of this recording technique.  I became convinced that Ringo is at his best when singing country music, and so this old-timey song sounds great for his voice, or at least it does insofar as I can actually hear his voice.
I agree this song would be better if he didn't use that recording technique. I like the countrified vibe, and the instruments and his voice in it, but I'd rather hear it full sound and not altered.

288.  Maya Love (Dark Horse, 1974)

(George song #71)

Spotify

YouTube

I'll be honest that this song has gone on and off the list entirely several times.  Sometimes I really dig it and feel myself getting into a moderate groove, and other times it just bores or even irritates me.  Probably no surprise for any who has ever read a Beatles post of mine that my favorite aspects are the slide guitar and Billy Preston's spicy little piano riffs.  My favorite part is the first bridge where George and Billy trade riffs back and forth.  This song did start as just a slide guitar piece, with lyrics and other instrumentation added later, so it makes sense that those slide parts are so well developed.

The song is one of the highlights for me of the generally unappreciated 1974 album Dark Horse.  I'll be talking about the album and disastrous supporting tour in more detail when I get to the next song from the record.  This piece has been interpreted to be about George's crumbling marriage with Pattie Boyd - with "maya" being loosely translated from Sanskrit to mean "illusion" and said by George to represent love that is conditional, not lasting.  At the point when George wrote this, he had had his affair with Ringo's wife Maureen - we all know about this one, right?  freaking George - along with about a billion others, and Pattie had left him to shack up with Eric Clapton.  In that regard, the song's a little bit of a bummer.

I agree this song would be better if he didn't use that recording technique. I like the countrified vibe, and the instruments and his voice in it, but I'd rather hear it full sound and not altered.
There's that point about halfway through where it becomes "normal," and I got really excited, but that lasted about two lines and then went back.  

288.  Maya Love (Dark Horse, 1974)

(George song #71)

Spotify

YouTube

I'll be honest that this song has gone on and off the list entirely several times.  Sometimes I really dig it and feel myself getting into a moderate groove, and other times it just bores or even irritates me.  Probably no surprise for any who has ever read a Beatles post of mine that my favorite aspects are the slide guitar and Billy Preston's spicy little piano riffs.  My favorite part is the first bridge where George and Billy trade riffs back and forth.  This song did start as just a slide guitar piece, with lyrics and other instrumentation added later, so it makes sense that those slide parts are so well developed.

The song is one of the highlights for me of the generally unappreciated 1974 album Dark Horse.  I'll be talking about the album and disastrous supporting tour in more detail when I get to the next song from the record.  This piece has been interpreted to be about George's crumbling marriage with Pattie Boyd - with "maya" being loosely translated from Sanskrit to mean "illusion" and said by George to represent love that is conditional, not lasting.  At the point when George wrote this, he had had his affair with Ringo's wife Maureen - we all know about this one, right?  freaking George - along with about a billion others, and Pattie had left him to shack up with Eric Clapton.  In that regard, the song's a little bit of a bummer.
Love George, but this is one of those songs where I wish someone else was singing. Dig the groove though.  

Love George, but this is one of those songs where I wish someone else was singing. Dig the groove though.  
In part it's a problem with Dark Horse overall and why it was poorly received at the time.  He had laryngitis but rushed to record and get this out anyway because he had a tour scheduled.  On some songs on this record, he sounds positively horrible.  

Users who are viewing this thread