What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (1 Viewer)

In part it's a problem with Dark Horse overall and why it was poorly received at the time.  He had laryngitis but rushed to record and get this out anyway because he had a tour scheduled.  On some songs on this record, he sounds positively horrible.  
I didn't know that. Yea, he sounds like he's pain in this one. 

I'm gonna get started.  As I mentioned in my post that no one read, I'm going to post my lowest ranked from each dude as #287-290.

Remember I like all these songs!  And that you're not going to!  And you'll have some you like that I won't have in my top 290.  

Since Sir Paul has the most songs on here, it's only fair that he gets #290.

290.  Nothing For Free (bonus track on deluxe version of Eygpt Station - released 2018)

(Paul song #141)

Spotify

YouTube

This song is a helluva lot of fun.  Makes me dance around in my seat.  I expect that some will despise the "OK OK OK" part, which has Paul clearly trying to sound "modern" or hip, and ultimately it's that "old guy trying to sound young" aspect that has this last on my list.  But that's Paul, always staying on top of, or often well ahead of, musical trends.  The sometimes-triple-tracked vocals and reverb are either great or distracting depending upon who you are, but the fantastic bass line is undeniable.  Not a huge fan of the bridge, but the chorus with the great hooks gets me shaking my hips again every time.  Nice little outro wraps up the song well, too.

To me, this one harkens back to the oft-criticized McCartney II, an album that will get a lot of discussion in this list.  One theme that we're going to see with Paul throughout this countdown is his willingness to experiment, on his own and with various collaborators.  The breadth of his music is extraordinary and well more than any of his Beatle-mates.

This track was co-written and produced by Ryan Tedder, who is a member of OneRepublic, which apparently is a band.  It became part of the Deluxe Edition of Egypt Station, Paul's most recent album (2018), but was only released on this edition available at Target.  I'll be discussing Egypt Station in more detail when we get to the next song from that album.  
I found it awful until it got to the "I know you neeeeeeeed something" part. That was neat. I wish he'd taken that part and meshed it with something else. 

The bridge sounds an awful lot like ELO circa 1981. 

289.  R U Ready? (Liverpool 8 - 2008)

(Ringo song #29)

Spotify

YouTube

Speaking of annoying devices, this song would be ranked much higher were it not for the use of this recording technique.  Combine that with the unnecessary "R U" in the title (you ain't no Purple One, Ringo), and there are enough irritants to make this my lowest ranked Ringo song that I still enjoy anyway.  In listening to the 20 Ringo studio albums, I became convinced that Ringo is at his best when singing country music, and so this old-timey song sounds great for his voice, or at least it does insofar as I can actually hear his voice.

This song comes from Ringo's album, Liverpool 8, released in 2008 and representing a pretty big change in Ringo's recording team.  After 10 years and at least five albums together, Ringo ditched his long-time producer and songwriting partner Mark Hudson in the midst of recording this album and turned to former Eurythmic Dave Stewart to re-produce it, leading to a delay in its release that I doubt anyone noticed.  As far as I know, Ringo never gave specifics on the falling out with Hudson, but did indicate it had to do with loyalty and trust rather than artistic matters.  Intriguing.  How much of a jerk do you have to be to piss off Ringo that much!?!

Despite the change in producers, I don't see a huge difference between the prior albums and this one.  Ringo continues his usual themes of peace and love and singing a lot about the old days in Liverpool (in the title song) and referencing his time in the Beatles (in "Gone Were the Days").  He ended up with a generally amiable if not spectacular record, and while this is the only song from this album that will appear on my countdown, I'd never object if someone wanted to play this record.  It's sweet and unpretentious like most Ringo records, perfectly listenable on a relaxed and easygoing night.  If you're interested in more songs from this album, I recommend checking out "Liverpool 8" and "Pasodobles."

This album did end up getting Ringo into the unusual-for-Ringo situation of having a bunch of people pissed at him.  Liverpool was designated by the EU to be its "Capital of Culture" for 2008, and just before the album was released Ringo sang the title track, "Liverpool 8," at the opening ceremony.  All went well there, with tens of thousands of appreciative fans, but a few days later Ringo made this appearance on a talk show and asked if he missed Liverpool.  As it turns out, "Ah no" was not the right answer to that question!  I'm not sure Liverpool has yet forgiven him.  On the other hand, Liverpool named its airport after John Lennon.  Poor Ringo.
You know the Neil Young-Jack White collaboration that some people have pooped on in the Neil thread? Thanks to the production technique, this sounds like something from that record. 

This is skiffle-riffic, but it gets significantly better when the slide guitar comes in. 

288.  Maya Love (Dark Horse, 1974)

(George song #71)

Spotify

YouTube

I'll be honest that this song has gone on and off the list entirely several times.  Sometimes I really dig it and feel myself getting into a moderate groove, and other times it just bores or even irritates me.  Probably no surprise for any who has ever read a Beatles post of mine that my favorite aspects are the slide guitar and Billy Preston's spicy little piano riffs.  My favorite part is the first bridge where George and Billy trade riffs back and forth.  This song did start as just a slide guitar piece, with lyrics and other instrumentation added later, so it makes sense that those slide parts are so well developed.

The song is one of the highlights for me of the generally unappreciated 1974 album Dark Horse.  I'll be talking about the album and disastrous supporting tour in more detail when I get to the next song from the record.  This piece has been interpreted to be about George's crumbling marriage with Pattie Boyd - with "maya" being loosely translated from Sanskrit to mean "illusion" and said by George to represent love that is conditional, not lasting.  At the point when George wrote this, he had had his affair with Ringo's wife Maureen - we all know about this one, right?  freaking George - along with about a billion others, and Pattie had left him to shack up with Eric Clapton.  In that regard, the song's a little bit of a bummer.
On Youtube this is the "2014 mix". Is it any different from what people heard in 1974? Did they bury George's weak vocals more? 

Billy Preston is the star of this song. I'd listen again just for his parts. 

Oh hey, saxophones! 

And no, I don't think I knew George slept with Ringo's wife. Holy poop. But I'm not surprised. The Harrison/Clapton circle of friends from that time were doing all sorts of crazy and awful stuff to themselves and each other. 

Ok, wait what is this Paul McCartney song "Nothing for Free"? I like it and am totally shocked. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it awful until it got to the "I know you neeeeeeeed something" part. That was neat. I wish he'd taken that part and meshed it with something else. 

The bridge sounds an awful lot like ELO circa 1981. 
One thing I like about it is it is one of those songs where Paul does several movements in the song like Band on the Run and Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. 

YOGI'S CHOICE!  CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

287.  Sunday Bloody Sunday / The Luck Of The Irish (Some Time In New York City, 1972)  Spotify YouTube Spotify YouTube

(John #49)

Note that the second song is slightly NSFW.

I'm going to let the crowd veto me on this one if you wish.  I prefer the first one, while OH likes the second.  Since they're on the same album and cover the same subject, I decided to discuss them together.  Both, of course, are protest songs relating to the British actions in Northern Ireland, described by John as "genocide" in the lyrics to "The Luck of the Irish."

Let's start with "Sunday Bloody Sunday," which is a reaction to the specific events of that day in 1972.   Sure, there are Yoko banshee moments, but I have to admit I kind of like those.  This is a good rocker, even with too much sax, and I think John sounds great on it.  Jim Keltner's drums, while not quite a Keltner Showcase, hold #### together really well while also advancing the groove.  Downsides to this song:  lyrics can be a bit trite at best, or condescending at worst.  Not sure how John decided to appoint himself the defender of the Irish republicans. 

Onto "The Luck Of The Irish," I love the feel of this song!  Folksy and in waltz time!  My favorite!  On the downside...flute.  On the much bigger downside...terrible, insulting, simplistic lyrics that perpetuate stereotypes.  A purportedly serious song that's meant to address serious issues, and they sing about...leprechauns?  The Blarney Stone?  "Let's walk over rainbows like leprechauns...The world would be one big blarney stone."  The repeated line "If you had the luck of the Irish, you'd wish you were English instead..."  Eeesh.  John's intentions here were certainly pure, as he was inspired to write it by a protest march he had attended, and he had a known affinity and love for Ireland.  But my understanding of the reaction to this song is that it did not help the cause, as it was generally reviled as insulting on the Irish side and too polemical on the English side.

Both of these songs feature prominent vocals from Yoko, so if you find her too bleating, there are other songs out there for you.

YOGI'S CHOICE!  CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!

287.  Sunday Bloody Sunday / The Luck Of The Irish (Some Time In New York City, 1972)  Spotify YouTube Spotify YouTube

(John #49)

Note that the second song is slightly NSFW.

I'm going to let the crowd veto me on this one if you wish.  I prefer the first one, while OH likes the second.  Since they're on the same album and cover the same subject, I decided to discuss them together.  Both, of course, are protest songs relating to the British actions in Northern Ireland, described by John as "genocide" in the lyrics to "The Luck of the Irish."

Let's start with "Sunday Bloody Sunday," which is a reaction to the specific events of that day in 1972.   Sure, there are Yoko banshee moments, but I have to admit I kind of like those.  This is a good rocker, even with too much sax, and I think John sounds great on it.  Jim Keltner's drums, while not quite a Keltner Showcase, hold #### together really well while also advancing the groove.  Downsides to this song:  lyrics can be a bit trite at best, or condescending at worst.  Not sure how John decided to appoint himself the defender of the Irish republicans. 

Onto "The Luck Of The Irish," I love the feel of this song!  Folksy and in waltz time!  My favorite!  On the downside...flute.  On the much bigger downside...terrible, insulting, simplistic lyrics that perpetuate stereotypes.  A purportedly serious song that's meant to address serious issues, and they sing about...leprechauns?  The Blarney Stone?  "Let's walk over rainbows like leprechauns...The world would be one big blarney stone."  The repeated line "If you had the luck of the Irish, you'd wish you were English instead..."  Eeesh.  John's intentions here were certainly pure, as he was inspired to write it by a protest march he had attended, and he had a known affinity and love for Ireland.  But my understanding of the reaction to this song is that it did not help the cause, as it was generally reviled as insulting on the Irish side and too polemical on the English side.

Both of these songs feature prominent vocals from Yoko, so if you find her too bleating, there are other songs out there for you.
Sunday Bloody Sunday. 

Prefer the groove, the guitar, the sax and the banshee. 

Do it.. Do it do it do it! 

---INTERLUDE - Paul And The Irish---

Let's talk about one other song, which will not make my list, relating to "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.

Give Ireland Back To The Irish

Apologies to Sir Paul, but these were my notes on my first "official" listen:  "Gross.  Simplistic and pandering and dumb.  I do think he meant it, though."

This is an atypical song for Paul, not because it was pandering and dumb, but because unlike John or George, Paul didn't often record overtly political or "statement" songs.  Paul wrote this within 48 hours of "Bloody Sunday."  Due to its seemingly pro-IRA stance, the song was banned on the BBC and most British radio and TV outlets, but released as a single it did fairly well in both the UK and the US and reached #1 in Ireland. Though Paul had some Irish ancestry and seemed sincere with the song, it's been speculated that it was calculated by Paul to give him some "street cred" by tackling such a subject, or that maybe this was a peace offering of sorts to John, who had been more involved in the cause.  Paul and John had had a small reconciliation before the song was written, and perhaps Paul wanted to stay in his good graces.

Whatever the reason, despite the song's success, it had some unfortunate consequences, even sparking violence that led to Paul's Irish guitarist Henry McCullough's brother being beaten for his brother's part in the song. 

My issue with the song isn't so much the pandering or the questionable motives or the somewhat insipid lyrics and singalong quality - though those are all there - but that it's just..not a particularly good song.  I don't have much to say about it.

On Youtube this is the "2014 mix". Is it any different from what people heard in 1974? Did they bury George's weak vocals more? 

Billy Preston is the star of this song. I'd listen again just for his parts. 

Oh hey, saxophones! 

And no, I don't think I knew George slept with Ringo's wife. Holy poop. But I'm not surprised. The Harrison/Clapton circle of friends from that time were doing all sorts of crazy and awful stuff to themselves and each other. 
I honestly don't know the difference in the mixes.  I'm mostly being careful to choose an original mix, but sometimes it's hard to do with the YouTube stuff (easier on Spotify most of the time).

Yeah, they were all sleeping with everyone else.  The George-Maureen one was surprising, but somehow Ringo still considered George his best friend even after that, so I guess a product of the times.

---INTERLUDE---

Let's talk about one other song, which will not make my list, relating to "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.

Apologies to Sir Paul, but these were my notes on my first "official" listen:  "Gross.  Simplistic and pandering and dumb.  I do think he meant it, though."

This is an atypical song for Paul, not because it was pandering and dumb, but because unlike John or George, Paul didn't often record overtly political or "statement" songs.  Paul wrote this within 48 hours of "Bloody Sunday."  Due to its seemingly pro-IRA stance, the song was banned on the BBC and most British radio and TV outlets, but released as a single it did fairly well in both the UK and the US and reached #1 in Ireland. Though Paul had some Irish ancestry and seemed sincere with the song, it's been speculated that it was calculated by Paul to give him some "street cred" by tackling such a subject, or that maybe this was a peace offering of sorts to John, who had been more involved in the cause.  Paul and John had had a small reconciliation before the song was written, and perhaps Paul wanted to stay in his good graces.

Whatever the reason, despite the song's success, it had some unfortunate consequences, even sparking some violence that led to Paul's Irish guitarist Henry McCullough's brother being beaten for his brother's part in the song. 

My issue with the song isn't so much the pandering or the questionable motives or the somewhat insipid lyrics and singalong quality - though those are all there - but that it's just..not a particularly good song.  I just don't have much to say about it.
Reminds me of a Clown Troop that used to tour Louisville in the mid 70's.

We may have sang it in grade school fund raising rallies. 

TAKE IT TO THE PSF! 

🌞

Think I've posted enough songs today to give us a good start, so I'll sign off it until tomorrow.  Lots of real work to do in the morning, so it might be when I take a lunch break that I first get a chance to post.

The first three songs to be posted tomorrow will be on the following theme:  McCartney Minus McCartney

---INTERLUDE---

Whatever the reason, despite the song's success, it had some unfortunate consequences, even sparking violence that led to Paul's Irish guitarist Henry McCullough's brother being beaten for his brother's part in the song. 

My issue with the song isn't so much the pandering or the questionable motives or the somewhat insipid lyrics and singalong quality - though those are all there - but that it's just..not a particularly good song.  I don't have much to say about it.
I would remove both of John's songs and put this in its place. This at least has a raise another pint feel to it.

Best thing about the Irish trilogy was this popping up in the side bar on one of them. All of them had pieces of stuff I liked,  but other things, like the lyrics you mentioned, that detracted.

Man, songs got longer in a hurry post-Beatles. Maybe it’s because of familiarity and sheer awesomeness that leaves you wanting more, but maybe, just maybe, John needed Paul around to tell him to lose a verse or two?

Damn it!  I feel bad because @Pip's Invitation made guesses on the theme that were frankly better than what I am doing.  I"ll give a little preview and say we will have at least one Wings song in the countdown where Paul is not the lead singer ( :coffee:  ), but my plan right now for McCartney Minus McCartney comprises songs in which Paul has collaborated and plays a smaller than usual role.  We'll start here:

286.  Cut Me Some Slack (from album/soundtrack Sound City, 2013)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul song #140)

Paul recorded this song with the surviving members of Nirvana, first as a live track as a benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims and then released as a track on Dave Grohl's Sound City album/film in 2013.  The whole song was just an improvised jam, with Paul on vocal and cigar-box guitar, and was written and recorded in three hours.  The song won a Grammy in 2014 for Best Rock Song.  I'm not that impressed with Paul's work on it, which is why it's low on the list, but the song as a whole is a mint jam.

Pip will like this quote from Grohl:  "You have to understand, one of the great things about playing with Paul McCartney or playing with Neil Young is that that generation of musicians, they cherish and respect and value the practice of just going into a room and coming up with something and jamming and making it a song,” said Grohl. “There’s not like seven songwriters and seven producers and digital technology or whatever. It’s like people getting in a room."  Grohl also called Paul the sweetest, nicest, and most awesome person.  That sounds like something I'd make up, but it's true.

Best thing about the Irish trilogy was this popping up in the side bar on one of them. All of them had pieces of stuff I liked,  but other things, like the lyrics you mentioned, that detracted.

Man, songs got longer in a hurry post-Beatles. Maybe it’s because of familiarity and sheer awesomeness that leaves you wanting more, but maybe, just maybe, John needed Paul around to tell him to lose a verse or two?
This was something I was blathering on about to OH a few days ago (yes, we still hang).  In the Beatles, I felt like Paul needed John to rein in some of his Granny-music and other negative impulses, but in the post-Beatles stuff, I feel like John's music suffers a bit from not having Paul rein in John's worst impulses.  As it turns out, I think they both needed each other.

Damn it!  I feel bad because @Pip's Invitation made guesses on the theme that were frankly better than what I am doing.  I"ll give a little preview and say we will have at least one Wings song in the countdown where Paul is not the lead singer ( :coffee:  ), but my plan right now for McCartney Minus McCartney comprises songs in which Paul has collaborated and plays a smaller than usual role.  We'll start here:

286.  Cut Me Some Slack (from album/soundtrack Sound City, 2013)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul song #140)

Paul recorded this song with the surviving members of Nirvana, first as a live track as a benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims and then released as a track on Dave Grohl's Sound City album/film in 2013.  The whole song was just an improvised jam, with Paul on vocal and cigar-box guitar, and was written and recorded in three hours.  The song won a Grammy in 2014 for Best Rock Song.  I'm not that impressed with Paul's work on it, which is why it's low on the list, but the song as a whole is a mint jam.

Pip will like this quote from Grohl:  "You have to understand, one of the great things about playing with Paul McCartney or playing with Neil Young is that that generation of musicians, they cherish and respect and value the practice of just going into a room and coming up with something and jamming and making it a song,” said Grohl. “There’s not like seven songwriters and seven producers and digital technology or whatever. It’s like people getting in a room."  Grohl also called Paul the sweetest, nicest, and most awesome person.  That sounds like something I'd make up, but it's true.
Thanks for the shoutout. From everything I've heard, Dave Grohl is one of the nicest guys in music and everyone loves him, so it's not surprising that his interaction with Paul went really well. 

I couldn't get to the Irish songs or this tonight because there were a ton of versions to go through for tomorrow's #17 Neil song that is in a lot of people's top 5. But I should be able to get to them tomorrow morning.

I like it. It rocks. He rocked on Helter Skelter, so we know he had it in him.  :headbang:

Ohhhh, I'm just listening to a filthy-great Wings jam, but I can't get to it for another, let's see, 260 or more songs.

I meant to ask, @Morton Muffley, you had mentioned having a top 100 list.  We were talking Paul at the time, but I wasn't sure, is your top 100 just Paul, or all post-Beatles Beatles?

(Paul song #140)

I like this quite a bit. 

However, I have always been ambivalent irt Grohl (post Nirvana). 

One of the main cuts that moved him more favorably on my needle was from the same album ... here

Sorry to shift, but the connection is sublime. 👍

Uh oh, just remembered I should tag another person who is closely related to a poster currently on timeout.  @Red Hot Tamales
cuz...cousins?

Love @facookmaybe comments about Imagine. He may be right. 

And this just proved I can tag, too! Oh wow! Oh, I don't know/Don't know what to do/If you can tag me/I can tag you, too

(That's me imagining Paul writing that lyric)

I'm listening to the Who do girl groups, so it seemed profound, that lyric. 

That just took me to the album.  :lol:   Was that by design, to punish me for not doing it right?
LOL. 

I eat my previous moc'n! :bag:

I used the direct song link option, so...it appears that the software is at fault. 

The song I linked to was Mantra... with Trent Reznor (keyboard) & Josh Homme (bass & guitar). 

The lyrics take it over the top too. 

cuz...cousins?

Love @facookmaybe comments about Imagine. He may be right. 

And this just proved I can tag, too! Oh wow! Oh, I don't know/Don't know what to do/If you can tag me/I can tag you, too

(That's me imagining Paul writing that lyric)

I'm listening to the Who do girl groups, so it seemed profound, that lyric. 
:lmao:   This is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread