What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summerpalooza III: FFA Music/Fantasy Football Draft - Congrats League Champ Pip's Invitation (3 Viewers)

Keeping up with the Joneses.

I mean, this isn't a dynasty.

Julio Jones WR ATL

Song: Atlanta is 72 miles from Athens, so: REM -- Fall on Me

Aaron Jones RB GB

Song: Jones went to UTEP and these guys were from El Paso: Bobby Fuller Four -- I Fought the Law

Back to @Mrs. Rannouswhen she returns from CVS. 
Both guys got taken last night and today, Pip. Do you want me to give you list of taken players? I'm keeping track. That or you can check the sheet.

3.12 Mike Evans WR TB

Song: Stephen Stills was not born in Tampa but spent some of his childhood there (his family moved all the time because his father was in the military). Percussionist Joe Lala was born in Tampa. So, I think that's enough for Manassas to count. Stephen Stills and Manassas -- The Treasure.

My next pick is someone for whom a song is proving difficult. It'll be a few more minutes. 

Well this is not a route I would have ever expected to go on any front. 

4.01 Josh Allen QB BUF

Maybe this is the year he puts it together? Eh, the league is free, I'll just enjoy the ride.

Buffalo is teh suck for music. I'm not taking the ####### Goo Goo Dolls or Spyro Gyra.

Allen went to college at Wyoming, which is a wasteland if you're not into country music.

So birthplace it is. That's Firebaugh, California. Nowhere near SF or LA. But near Fresno. Lolly and Pat Vegas, the leaders of Redbone, were born in Coalinga, California, which is also near Fresno. And there you have it.

Song: Redbone -- Come and Get Your Love

@Mrs. Rannous is up when she comes back from CVS. 

Well this is not a route I would have ever expected to go on any front. 

4.01 Josh Allen QB BUF

Maybe this is the year he puts it together? Eh, the league is free, I'll just enjoy the ride.

Buffalo is teh suck for music. I'm not taking the ####### Goo Goo Dolls or Spyro Gyra.

Allen went to college at Wyoming, which is a wasteland if you're not into country music.

So birthplace it is. That's Firebaugh, California. Nowhere near SF or LA. But near Fresno. Lolly and Pat Vegas, the leaders of Redbone, were born in Coalinga, California, which is also near Fresno. And there you have it.

Song: Redbone -- Come and Get Your Love

@Mrs. Rannous is up when she comes back from CVS. 
We allowed Toronto for Buffalo our first year doing this, believe it or not. Most of us were hurting for Buffalo. I knew a few, though, so I was okay.

Normally I get all thorough about keeping track of bye weeks, but here, I’ll live with winging it and cutting someone for bye week reasons because it means I get to pick a new song. 

This thing hasn't moved much in the last 7 hours.  The guy with covid said his symptoms started with a sore throat, and then a fever, and then body aches. He said he just has body aches now. He looked pale and sweaty on Zoom. 

This thing hasn't moved much in the last 7 hours.  The guy with covid said his symptoms started with a sore throat, and then a fever, and then body aches. He said he just has body aches now. He looked pale and sweaty on Zoom. 
Yeah, we got a bit waylaid here along the way, it seems.

:tumbleweed:

Sorry.  The food turned out to be more exciting than I thought.  We went to get BBQ at a place I've been going to for 43 years.  Yum.  And we got frozen custard.  The roasted pecan and scutterbotch concrete was sooooo good.  Pick in a minute.

By the way, in case anybody is staying up or hoping to get a pick in, I think Dr. Octopus wasn't picking until tomorrow because of his live draft. That's the vibe I got, anyway. He picks at 4.06. so I think we stall there no matter what. 

Then again, you never know when somebody will check in and I've been spectacularly wrong before.

By the way, in case anybody is staying up or hoping to get a pick in, I think Dr. Octopus wasn't picking until tomorrow because of his live draft. That's the vibe I got, anyway. He picks at 4.06. so I think we stall there no matter what. 

Then again, you never know when somebody will check in and I've been spectacularly wrong before.
That was also my impression.  See y'all in the am.

This is the second season without one of our original members. The league was started by my brother 21 years ago. Most of the people in the league are people my brother grew up with or met in college or those friends' friends.  Anyway, at the end of June '19 one of our league members died. He fell in the bathroom and hit his head. My brother and I have known him since he was little. He was my brother's age, and they had the exact same birthday. He and my brother had been friends since childhood. His brother was my age, and his sister was my sister's age.  We all knew each other. Anyway, I wonder if his death could have been prevented. He was an alcoholic. I only saw him in a social setting usually once a year at our draft, but would see him occasionally if I was at the colony and he would be in his car and stop and say hi (the liquor store is beside the colony).  He was a big animal lover. I mentioned to my brother through the years that the guy could use an intervention. My brother would say he won't stop drinking. There was also the problem that most of his friends were alcohol abusers or possible alcoholics. In 2019 he fell while on a fishing trip. He hurt himself pretty bad, and he was drunk when it happened. His father was on that trip. He had a high tolerance so he could seem fine, but be intoxicated. He would hide his drinking around family and his ex girlfriend, but it had to be obvious sometimes. At the draft he would start slurring or have one eye open, because he was seeing double. His mother bought him a walker, because he was having a hard time getting around after his injury, because he hurt his leg/hip pretty bad, but wouldn't see a doctor. This finally motivated his friends to do something about his drinking. My brother called his mother one morning, and told her that her son drank at least a fifth of liquor every day, and had to just to function or he got the shakes really bad. He told her some other things, and she said he was over at the house for dinner the night before and was fine. My brother told her he wasn't fine. The guy lived in a house on his parents property. They are very wealthy and bought up part of the neighborhood to have their own personal compound. He saw his parents all the time. Anyway, after my brother told his mother all this stuff, she called my brother early that evening to tell him she found her son dead on the bathroom floor. He had fallen and hit his head. How tragic is that. The same day someone finally makes an effort to help him and he dies that day. . There were arguments among the friends with some saying they waited too late to try and do anything, and others saying it wouldn't have mattered. At the draft last year, his best friend told me his parents had to have known about how bad his drinking was. He said they would call him and he would answer slurring or his mother or father would come over sometimes and he would be visibly drunk. I just wish something would have at least been attempted a long time ago to try and get him help. He is missed. If you know someone like him, this could happen to them too.

This is the second season without one of our original members.
I'm sorry to hear about that, simey. That's a shame that that happened that way.

You might know I have an admitted alcohol problem. Sometimes, alcohol problems need intervention, other times the person finally realizes the damage done to their body, spirit, and others. Anyway, I've been alcohol free for a year a five months now, and have never felt freer or better. I wish everyone going through the hell that is the morning shakes could feel like I do these days. It's such a tragedy to drink one's self to death, and that's what I was doing -- that's what many of us do. So I'm sorry to hear that and this is just a way of saying I can relate on a personal level.

I'm sorry to hear about that, simey. That's a shame that that happened that way.

You might know I have an admitted alcohol problem. Sometimes, alcohol problems need intervention, other times the person finally realizes the damage done to their body, spirit, and others. Anyway, I've been alcohol free for a year a five months now, and have never felt freer or better. I wish everyone going through the hell that is the morning shakes could feel like I do these days. It's such a tragedy to drink one's self to death, and that's what I was doing -- that's what many of us do. So I'm sorry to hear that and this is just a way of saying I can relate on a personal level.
I do know that about you, and I'm very glad you're doing well and feeling swell.  :hifive:

One of our long ago members had that problem.  He showed up at the draft with a 32 oz Big Gulp filled with whiskey.  Joy.  Sometimes, there's no helping people.  Like rock, they nedd to figure it out for themselves.  An intervention only really works if the person is ready to hear it.

We lost one long-time member a couple of years back.  He had heart problems, but seemed to be doing well.  Two weeks after the draft, he said, "Oh, s###" and died.  At least he didn't suffer, but it wasn't easy.

One of our long ago members had that problem.  He showed up at the draft with a 32 oz Big Gulp filled with whiskey.  Joy.  Sometimes, there's no helping people.  Like rock, they nedd to figure it out for themselves.  An intervention only really works if the person is ready to hear it.

We lost one long-time member a couple of years back.  He had heart problems, but seemed to be doing well.  Two weeks after the draft, he said, "Oh, s###" and died.  At least he didn't suffer, but it wasn't easy.
It will never be known if any intervention would have helped him.  I feel he would have never gotten help on his own. He loved his pets, and one time when he was drunk he accidentally killed one of his pets. If that isn't enough to wake your ### up, you are too far gone. The guilt just made him drink more. 

I hope that long post wasn't a buzz kill. I wrote it while we were waiting for Mrs R to show up from going to the drugstore and eating, but it took me forever to write it (cause I got lost in thought) and she showed up before I hit send. It's a cautionary tell a reckon. 

By the way zoom people, you can hear things in the background. One of the guys in our Brady Bunch zoom block had an argument with his wife in the background. It was the second to the last round, and his wife started an argument with him about being on the computer for a long time, and he told her she knew he was drafting, and they argued more and then his block disappeared from our computers. He called in his last two picks to my brother.  

By the way zoom people, you can hear things in the background. One of the guys in our Brady Bunch zoom block had an argument with his wife in the background. It was the second to the last round, and his wife started an argument with him about being on the computer for a long time, and he told her she knew he was drafting, and they argued more and then his block disappeared from our computers. He called in his last two picks to my brother.  
Lovely.  How do people live like that?

raging weasel gave me his pick, which was Stafford and

this guy

3.06 -- Leonard Fournette, RB, Jacksonville

Music- Tuesday's Gone- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Just by way of conversation, it's like 6:30 here. I was up at six because I'm supposed to do a rookie draft in a dynasty league for a team I'm preparing to take over, I think. I just volunteered for the draft and think I inherited another dyno team, this one pretty bad. I'm not sure how to break it to the guy that I only wanted to draft (that's all that was specified). Hmmm...

Anyway, draft begins at nine. It's too early to worry about my 1.03 pick (likely Dobbins).

The music is not flowing. Spent last night listening to Ten Rapid by Mogwai and some Nipsey Hussle, actually (RIP). Nipsey has a song where he samples Electric Feel by MGMT. Groovy.

As for this draft, I don't like any of the players in the tier by location or player except for one (fingers crossed he's still there when it comes to me). Hope your mornings are going swimmingly.

You guys and your friggin QB fetishes. 

Sigh.

Big Ben Broken Elbow Roethlesburger or whatever.  I'll do music later.

I feel like every year in this thing I wait "one more round" for a QB and then like 10 go between my picks :lol:
It's funny. So don't the draft simulators. They always begin my grading my draft like it's terrible. Then this happens and everything adjusts. I don't think the mocks or the industry really gets the value of a QB in these leagues. Yeah, they adjust for it, but not enough. I mean, I'm not showing my math, but...in my limited experience, they're not only huge to have for points but also as a future asset. I guess the industry and their VBD probably know better, but the mock simulators look off to me.

Yes! We are getting the band back together! (He and Godwin were shattering stuff last year on my team. They're both tweaked right now. Let's hope they heal quickly.)

4.09 - Allen Robinson - WR - Chicago Bears

Song: Kanye West - Homecoming (Chicago is Kanye's place of birth, Robinson's place of play.)

Users who are viewing this thread