What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you typically carry cash on your person? (1 Viewer)

If yes, how much do you typically carry?

• NA, I don't typically carry cash on my person

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • $5 or less

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • $5.01 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.01 - $20

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • $20.01 - $40

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • $40.01 - $60

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • $60.01 - $100

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • More than$100

Votes: 65 23.9%

• Total voters
I have $283 on me right now.  That's in my wallet.  

Then I have $4,200 in large bills in my desk.  And 430 Euros. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-pandemic when I still went places where I might need cash, yes.  These days not so much. I still have cash in my money clip/cc wallet but I rarely even have that on me.  Back when I was playing a lot of poker I always had at least a couple racks on me but that was 10-15 years ago now.

I feel like I'm getting misquoted or mischaracterized here.  I brought clarity to my original post just a few posts later.  I never implied that the words "irresponsible" and "immature" were used to describe people that do not carry cash in general.  My implication was that the action of a grown adult not carrying around any cash routinely is an "irresponsible" and "immature" thing to do.   If a quote that I made is going to be put under scrutiny--I'd like it to be scrutinized under the proper and intended context.  This feels like a hunt for a "gotcha" moment. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/787307-wwyd-tipping/?do=findComment&comment=22904253

I will copy and paste this same post in the new topic as the context is vitally important in imo. 

I don't. Credit card that gets paid off monthly. Great way to see what you are spending on, and shouldn't be.. But I do have 300 in my small safety box along with important documents. In the event of earthquake it has a handle so it's easy grab and go. 

Haven't carried cash since I ditched my wallet and went with a CC phone case about 7-8 years ago. Sure, there have been a handful of times where I wished I had some cash and didn't, but the overall convenience of no longer having a wallet has been worth it to me.

Worst was when I went to the local hardware store to see if I could find a replacement screw. It was like $.07. I had to charge it.   :bag:

Voted no.  If I know I am going somewhere I need it I will pull some out, and then spend any extra

also the kids like to buy Xbox, steam, VR, etc so they give me cash and I use my card / PayPal 

but as a general rule I usually don’t have cash on me

i do keep a $100 bill in my wallet for any emergency situation where I might need it

a grown adult not carrying around any cash routinely is an "irresponsible" and "immature" thing to do.
If by immature, you mean kinda lazy, then sure, I guess? Irresponsible seems like the wrong word choice here though. I assume people not carrying cash do still have a CC on them.

I never implied that the words "irresponsible" and "immature" were used to describe people that do not carry cash in general.  My implication was that the action of a grown adult not carrying around any cash routinely is an "irresponsible" and "immature" thing to do.  
I still have no idea what you're trying to say here.  I can't imagine what's immature or irresponsible about never carrying cash, though.  It's 2020, the two times a year I actually need cash, I go get some from the ATM.  

Seems to be a distinction with little difference.
There is a huge difference.  Mature people do immature things all of the time. Smart people make stupid mistakes and even world class athletes trip over there feet from time to time.   I'm probably very responsible and mature when it comes to preparation--but I assure you that there are many attributes of my life that I full admit are immature and irresponsible. I honestly can't fathom not being able to see the distinction between the two things that I'm describing. 

There is a huge difference.  Mature people do immature things all of the time. Smart people make stupid mistakes and even world class athletes trip over there feet from time to time.   I'm probably very professional and mature when it comes to preparation--but I assure you that there are many attributes of my life that I full admit are immature and unprofessional.  I honestly can't fathom not being able to see the distinction between the two things that I'm describing. 
Because if the act is "irresponsible" and "immature", then the person doing so at the time is acting "irresponsible" and "immature". 

I still have no idea what you're trying to say here.  I can't imagine what's immature or irresponsible about never carrying cash, though.  It's 2020, the two times a year I actually need cash, I go get some from the ATM.  
You think ATM's work all of the time?  You think if there is a mass disaster or large unexpected event that ATM's will have enough cash in them to supply the masses with cash?   How about a weather even that causes power outages or shuts down credit card terminals and ATM's?   I agree that having no cash works beautifully 999/1000 days--but you should always have a little bit on you for those rare occurrences when you actually need it.   Unexpected events arise all of the time and fully depending on systems that you have no control over to function perfectly is risky. That's just my 2 cents. 

You think ATM's work all of the time?  You think if there is a mass disaster or large unexpected event that ATM's will have enough cash in them to supply the masses with cash?   How about a weather even that causes power outages or shuts down credit card terminals and ATM's?   I agree that having no cash works beautifully 999/1000 days--but you should always have a little bit on you for those rare occurrences when you actually need it.   Unexpected events arise all of the time and fully depending on systems that you have no control over to function perfectly is risky. That's just my 2 cents. 
So during a mass disaster you're stopping into the corner bodega to buy a coke and a Snicker's bar?

Because if the act is "irresponsible" and "immature", then the person doing so at the time is acting "irresponsible" and "immature". 
Yes--that particular action is irresponsible or immature--but I'm not blanketely saying that they are immature and irresponsible people as a whole.  I'd never make that connotation as it's not true.  I'm not sure how much clearer I can get.  

There is a huge difference.  Mature people do immature things all of the time. Smart people make stupid mistakes and even world class athletes trip over there feet from time to time.   I'm probably very professional and mature when it comes to preparation--but I assure you that there are many attributes of my life that I full admit are immature and unprofessional.  I honestly can't fathom not being able to see the distinction between the two things that I'm describing. 
I'd just say that it's wise to carry cash as a backup in case it's needed for the reasons you mentioned.

I can cobble together a couple hundred bucks around the house in that event, I can't imagine why I'd ever need to be carrying it on my person.  

I can cobble together a couple hundred bucks around the house in that event, I can't imagine why I'd ever need to be carrying it on my person.  
Because you aren't home all of the time.   People act like carrying a 20 dollar bill on them in the case of an emergency is like pushing a wheel barrow around.  Just put in between your cell phone and your cell phone case in the rare event that you end up needing it. What harm is there in being prepared?   What is the downside?  I just listed many potential upsides--so do me a favor and tell me how carrying one 20 dollar bill around you in the case of an emergency is so egregious and non-sensical. 

I generally charge everything (and we pay it off in full every month), but I am never without $100 - $200 in cash. I usually carry about $100 in my wallet clip, and I keep another $100 in various size bills in my truck. I don't use it much, but it's handy, and has helped when a store's CC machine isn't working or whatnot. We keep 1-2k in the house. 

Because you aren't home all of the time.   People act like carrying a 20 dollar bill on them in the case of an emergency is like pushing a wheel barrow around.  Just put in between your cell phone and your cell phone case in the rare event that you end up needing it. What harm is there in being prepared?   What is the downside?  I just listed many potential upsides--so do me a favor and tell me how carrying one 20 dollar bill around you in the case of an emergency is so egregious and non-sensical. 
What are you expecting me to accomplish with $20 in the event of a mass disaster?

I usually have about $200 cash on me.
I always get $200 from the atm...this goes back to the days when I was always paying babysitters.

Now it's just a habit, and I answered 60-100. I use cash really infrequently, especially now in covid times, but also because everybody we pay (babysitters, extracurricular teachers/classes, etc) uses venmo or equivalent for services.

Its always practical to have a little cash on you especially with younger kids.    I'll only use it occasionally but it does come in handy at times.   I long for the day when we're a cashless world but we're not there yet.

What are you expecting me to accomplish with $20 in the event of a mass disaster?
Perhaps a way to get some food and water if roads are blocked and you need to get home.  Perhaps a way to purchase some supplies that you need at home if the unexpected event happens while you are on the road on your way back home.   If you want me to forecast every potential event to where having cash around in an unexpected event would be helpful--that would take years.  You know what wouldn't take years--telling me how having no cash at all would be the better play in an emergency or an unexpected event.  

Voted no.  If I know I am going somewhere I need it I will pull some out, and then spend any extra

also the kids like to buy Xbox, steam, VR, etc so they give me cash and I use my card / PayPal 

i do keep a $100 bill in my wallet for any emergency situation where I might need it
:oldunsure:   I do know what you are getting at.  I also keep a $100 in my wallet hidden just in case, but I also usually have $40 to $80 for spending.

"How much cash do you carry" was a question during one of @hagmania Sheep games.  The most popular answer was $0.

Why would you have voted "no" if you routinely carry a $100 in your wallet for an emergency situation?  You are always carrying cash and will use that cash if there is an interruption in being able to use your other forms of payment.  You basically answered the opposite of what you are doing?  

I don’t even carry a wallet, I’ve move beyond immature and irresponsible to bad boy territory.

:gang1:

this thread - :lmao:   :lmao:  

I always have plenty of cash on me, and I try to make sure I have plenty of $1's.  But I do this because of work.  Soda/candy/food machines and snack funds that don't take credit are all over the place.  I know I have loaned out dollars at least 10 times in the past few months.

Aren’t you the same guy slamming people for taking Covid too seriously?  I have a much greater chance of dying of Covid they having something bad happen to me because I don’t carry cash.
Are you directing this at me?  If so, you're confusing me with somebody else.  I was one of the people that was accused of taking covid too seriously. Read through the first few pages of the covid thread and you'll see where I stood and stand on that. 

Could depend on the business you're in too. I have friends in the HVAC business who often get paid in cash. They always have cash on hand and never use CC's.

I usually carry around 20-40 bucks but use card for most everything.  I do have $300+ in my wallet right now, though 'cuz I was gonna go to a uhhh... gentleman's club... before the pandemic and have just forgotten to take it out.

I have a good 1k+ in cash in a safe place in my office.  Was supposed to go to Vegas and Santa Barbara (twice) over the past 6 months and obviously those trips were canceled so I still have my spending cash. 

Day 34 since The Event.  Or maybe it’s Day 35.  Not sure.  Haven’t seen another living human in at least two weeks.  I spy a dumpster behind an abandoned grocery store.  Might still be something edible in there.  Seems like I’m not the only one with eyes on this prize.  A feral raccoon is circling the dumpster, looking for a way in.  I clutch my long-dead iPhone in my hand and quietly approach, planning to club it to death.  My mouth waters at the thought of eating real meat.  Suddenly the critter looks up in my direction and then runs off frightened.  That’s odd, I think.  Don’t think he’d give up the hunt that easily.  Then it dawns on me - the raccoon wasn’t running from me.  I turn just in time to see the sickening gray flesh of a zombie lurch towards me.  How are they so fast? I wonder.  In a flash it’s on me, sinking its teeth into my thigh.  Its rotten black teeth shred my chinos.  I brace for the pain of the bite, and in that moment I welcome my imminent death.  It will be a sweet release from the hell of this existence.  But the pain never comes.  The zombie stumbles back, with a look of surprise on what’s left of its face.  I look down.  Where the zombie had tried to gnash into my leg, I spy a folded up portrait of Andrew Jackson, its fibers too strong to be torn by the brittle bone chips sticking from the monster’s maw.  Suddenly my will to live is restored.  Thank god I always carried that emergency $20, I thought.  

Are you directing this at me?  If so, you're confusing me with somebody else.  I was one of the people that was accused of taking covid too seriously. Read through the first few pages of the covid thread and you'll see where I stood and stand on that. 
My apologies - I had you confused with someone else.  Sorry about that.

I go to the ATM once every week or two and take out $100. I like having some cash on me.
I'm assuming you must use it then, correct?  Meaning - you aren't stashing that $100 away somewhere (hiding money?)

I never use cash, never need cash and if I do I get it ahead of time.  I'm 46 years old and yet to have a cash emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread