Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Do you typically carry cash on your person?


FBG26

Do you typically carry cash on your person?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Not at all.  The question is about people that literally routinely walk around with no money on them.   I carry cash with me all of the time--but the vast majority of my purchases are done with credit cards to track my spending.  The context of how the thread started was that I made a comment that I personally find the action of people routinely leaving their home with zero cash (like nothing for an emergency or an unexpected occurence) to be an immature and irresponsible action.  The question is not if you use the cash on a day to day basis--its whether you carry any on you at all on a regular basis.  

Do you know CPR?

Can you start a fire without a lighter?

Ever kill a musk ox with a knife?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Do you know CPR?

Can you start a fire without a lighter?

Ever kill a musk ox with a knife?

I don't know cpr but I have watched youtube videos on how to do it.  I absolutely would love to try it out on a dummy and learn it from a professional but will have to wait until after covid. I do have a lot of waterproof matches that i keep in an emergency kit at home as well as in my van, and no--I've never been hunting.  None of those things are as easy and simple as carrying cash with you--so there is literally no parallel. Not everybody can have every skill--but everybody who has money is easily capable of carrying a single bill with them.   Once again--I say something in a context--and the context is that is something that is ridiculously easy to do--and people are asking me if I can kill an ox with a knife.   That's rich. 

Edited by jvdesigns2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I don't know cpr but I have watched youtube videos on how to do it.  I absolutely would love to try it out on a dummy and learn it from a professional but will have to wait until after covid. I do have a lot of waterproof matches that i keep in an emergency kit at home as well as in my van, and no--I've never been hunting.  None of those things are as easy and simple as carrying cash with you--so there is literally no parallel. Not everybody can have every skill--but everybody who has money is easily capable of carrying a single bill with them.   Once again--I say something in a context--and the context is that is something that is ridiculously easy to do--and people are asking me if I can kill an ox with a knife.   That's rich. 

I’m just giving you hell...but I’d argue CPR is far more valuable in an actual emergency. Carrying cash may make life easier, but it will probably never save it.

I’m willing to be inconvenienced (or inconvenience my wife/friends) if a rare cash-only situation arises. Simple or not, I’d hate to stand by helpless during a cardiac arrest.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I’m just giving you hell...but I’d argue CPR is far more valuable in an actual emergency. Carrying cash may make life easier, but it will probably never save it.

I’m willing to be inconvenienced (or inconvenience my wife/friends) if a rare cash-only situation arises. Simple or not, I’d hate to stand by helpless during a cardiac arrest.

I don't disagree with you at all--but I also don't see how both my point and your point can't both be valid. In a perfect world everybody would carry emergency cash with them and everybody would know cpr.  I'm certainly not hating on that one bit and I agree with your assessment about CPR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jvdesigns2002 said:

I don't disagree with you at all--but I also don't see how both my point and your point can't both be valid. In a perfect world everybody would carry emergency cash with them and everybody would know cpr.  I'm certainly not hating on that one bit and I agree with your assessment about CPR. 

I should start teaching a cash-only CPR class.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

And I can think of dozens of times in the last 10-12 years where having cash on hand with me benefited me greatly.   My guess is that many people would probably say the same.  Maybe you haven't had many or any of those experiences yet--but "yet" is the key word---and if you never have one of those experiences--how hard was it for you to slide a $20 bill in your cell phone case just in case?  Like i said--it's no risk with very high reward. 

I agree that there are numerous foreseeable events where a person can't use a CC and that having cash would be nice. But I haven't seen any reasons why it is so egregious to not have cash that you would call such a decision to be irresponsible. It's not hard to carry cash, you are right. Having a spare $20 would be nice at times. But not having cash has never put me in a situation of potential harm or other scenario that would lead me to saying that the decision to not have cash rose to the level of irresponsible. What you see as irresponsible, I see as mere inconvenience. 

You also list some scenarios where the electronic financial system might not be available for a longer period of time. We do keep cash at home. But it's not like I need cash immediately in those scenario, so I don't think it's irresponsible to not have cash in my person in those scenarios either. 

Anyway, we agree that having cash can be very nice at times, but will not agree on the severity of the consequences of the decision not to carry cash. But thanks for fleshing out your thoughts. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I ever started carrying around an emergency $20 bill, there is a 100% chance I’d use it for something nonessential long before it would ever possibly prove useful in an actual emergency. 

Basically the idea is we need some event that occurs with no forewarning, that knocks out all ability to conduct electronic transactions, and also I’m not home at the time and also I have no way of getting home and I need cash for something really important, but only $20 or less, and I have no other way of obtaining it.... You know, there are lots of risks that are so tiny that it’s not irresponsible to act as if they don’t exist at all. We all do that all the time. This is one of them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pay for everything with a credit card but my dad always told me to keep $20 in my wallet for emergencies and I have. It's come in handy on more than one occasion. I also keep cash stashed in the cars for the same reason which but wife has appreciated at times over the years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I don't know cpr but I have watched youtube videos on how to do it.  I absolutely would love to try it out on a dummy and learn it from a professional but will have to wait until after covid. I do have a lot of waterproof matches that i keep in an emergency kit at home as well as in my van, and no--I've never been hunting.  None of those things are as easy and simple as carrying cash with you--so there is literally no parallel. Not everybody can have every skill--but everybody who has money is easily capable of carrying a single bill with them.   Once again--I say something in a context--and the context is that is something that is ridiculously easy to do--and people are asking me if I can kill an ox with a knife.   That's rich. 

Have you seen Frozen? There is a song in the movie that is great advice for you in this thread.

https://images.app.goo.gl/eCZ1YXcEm9ukPnRk9

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

If I ever started carrying around an emergency $20 bill, there is a 100% chance I’d use it for something nonessential long before it would ever possibly prove useful in an actual emergency. 

Basically the idea is we need some event that occurs with no forewarning, that knocks out all ability to conduct electronic transactions, and also I’m not home at the time and also I have no way of getting home and I need cash for something really important, but only $20 or less, and I have no other way of obtaining it.... You know, there are lots of risks that are so tiny that it’s not irresponsible to act as if they don’t exist at all. We all do that all the time. This is one of them. 

Why not just drop the schtick?  If you don't want to carry cash around--don't do it.  You are acting like your opinion is the only one that matters.  Look at the poll ----nearly 3/4 of people in this forum consider it a good idea and do it.   I've made many points clear on how it's a good idea and you have not yet mentioned one valid point on how it's not.  All you've done is clown something just because you don't do it.  You have not contributed anything to the conversation besides that.  

Edited by jvdesigns2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

We just need to pair up the cash-free with the $100+ crowd, as they’re about equally distributed. 

But for anyone who carries money, how do you determine how much is necessary? What’s the expectation for a responsible adult?

How ticked would you be if that amount of money was stolen, or accidentally blew out of your hand into the ocean or whatever.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

We just need to pair up the cash-free with the $100+ crowd, as they’re about equally distributed. 

But for anyone who carries money, how do you determine how much is necessary? What’s the expectation for a responsible adult?

Lots of factors. I fall into the $100 plus crowd because I take care of 80 year old diabetic mother and I pretty much support our very close family friends that live in our same neighborhood so my emergency money could possibly need to be used to temporarily support 4 people (including myself)  in the case of an interruption. Unfortunately--the cost of goods in Southern California in general tend to be high--so thats why I carry a hundred or more.  I don't want to speak for the others--but the number of people you might need to support and a general assessment of cost of goods in your location are most likely the biggest factors.  The cost of goods in Maui is not going to be the same as the cost of goods in Phoenix--so that's something to factor in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

you have not yet mentioned one valid point on how it's not.

The quoted comment was directed at someone else, but I did previously mention not wanting to lose cash (have wallet lost or stolen) and forcing myself to be unable to use most vending machines. I believe those are valid reasons for not wanting to carry cash. 

Edited by FBG26
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FBG26 said:

The quoted comment was directed at someone else, but I did previously mention not wanting to lose cash and forcing myself to be unable to use most vending machines. I believe those are valid reasons for not wanting to carry cash. 

It doesn't even matter, there's no onus on anyone here to demonstrate why it's not a good idea.  It's a fine idea, it just doesn't make someone "immature," "irresponsible" or "unprofessional" if they choose not to.  Such an absurd take.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

And I've many times clearly said that I'm not judging the person--I'm judging the action.  I agree with your premise of why I'm getting kickback--but I'm also calling things as I see them. We all judge actions.  That's just a fact.  Maybe I'm the only one here thats comfortable admitting it openly--but we all do it. 

The problem is that you’ve now been forced to keep digging your hole deeper and deeper to justify your condescending stance.

Of course it’s easy to carry cash and it’s a good idea to do so, generally speaking, but if people choose not to it’s not “irresponsible” or “immature”. In this day and age it’s largely unnecessary. Your’s a ridiculously extreme stance and you’ve been forced to come up with extreme scenarios to justify it.
 

And for some reason you can’t grasp the fact that when you judge some ones actions you are surely judging the person - yet you insist otherwise. You scream it on top of a mountain instead of stepping back and letting it sink in. it’s like me saying “you sound like a total ########” and then claiming I’m not really calling you a ########.

Instead of doubling down you should have stepped back a little. You seem like a decent guy otherwise but you’re coming across as some one that doesn’t want to admit that they could have been wrong in any way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually get cash once a week when I go buy my silver. Try to put all my regular spending on a card that pays cash back. There are still some old school businesses here that only take cash. Guess they haven’t figured out that they’re losing more money on people who don’t even go to their business due to inconvenience than they are making by not paying the transaction fee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So annoying when you are trying to get lunch and people have absolutely no money on them to pay their share.

I get it....most of us have Venmo/PayPal now but at least keep a few smaller bills on you.  I don't want to hear "let me go to the ATM, I'll pay you back".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FBG26 said:

The quoted comment was directed at someone else, but I did previously mention not wanting to lose cash (have wallet lost or stolen) and forcing myself to be unable to use most vending machines. I believe those are valid reasons for not wanting to carry cash. 

The comment was absolutely not directed at you because you actually contributed to the discussion and made some great points.  I respect that and I enjoy people that have counterpoints that can have a different point of view but manage to discuss things in a civil and polite manner. That’s what good discussion is all about. I very much appreciated our exchanges in this thread. The comment I said was directed at somebody whose only contribution to the thread is trolling, snarky jokes and nothing substantive.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The problem is that you’ve now been forced to keep digging your hole deeper and deeper to justify your condescending stance.

Of course it’s easy to carry cash and it’s a good idea to do so, generally speaking, but if people choose not to it’s not “irresponsible” or “immature”. In this day and age it’s largely unnecessary. Your’s a ridiculously extreme stance and you’ve been forced to come up with extreme scenarios to justify it.
 

And for some reason you can’t grasp the fact that when you judge some ones actions you are surely judging the person - yet you insist otherwise. You scream it on top of a mountain instead of stepping back and letting it sink in. it’s like me saying “you sound like a total ########” and then claiming I’m not really calling you a ########.

Instead of doubling down you should have stepped back a little. You seem like a decent guy otherwise but you’re coming across as some one that doesn’t want to admit that they could have been wrong in any way.

That’s fair and perhaps that’s how some people think I come across but frankly it doesn’t bother me. We all judge actions. We judge people’s choices in fashion, their choices in fantasy football, we judge their stance on topics in threads- just as you are judging the way i look at things. You literally just judged how i presented my stance but also admitted that I seem like a decent person otherwise in regards to character. You literally just judged my action and was able to to refrain from casting that action judgement on me as a whole.  You  proved my point without even being aware of it. Regardless of whether or not we agree- you are entitled to your opinion, you’ve been polite and civil in elaborating your thoughts and I respect that. 

Edited by jvdesigns2002
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry cash for places that I will make a small transaction and I have zero faith in the security of the transaction if I were to use credit. 

Or if I need gas and their CC software is down. 

I try to always keep singles so I can tip when I travel. Things like fastpark shuttle or rental car shuttle. 

Or if I ever need to take an impromptu cab ride.

So between 40-60 bucks with ten singles. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

For you cashless gents, please tell me you carry more than just one piece of plastic.

5 cards in my wallet. One hidden in the car. Haven’t carried cash in god knows how long. It’s disgusting and doesn’t give me points. 

Edited by Capella
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

only contribution to the thread is trolling, snarky jokes and nothing substantive.  

You pulled up with one of the worst takes of all time.  What kind of substantive response do you want?  There's nothing at all "immature," "irresponsible" or "unprofessional" about not carrying cash on your person at all times.  It's not our job to refute your opinion, it's absurd on its face.  You feel better walking around with cash in your pocket?  That's cool, no one ever said it isn't.  But let's not pretend there's anything substantive in your judgment of others, it's a bonkers opinion that even your fellow cash-carriers wouldn't try to defend. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always.  For one, I try to always tip my massage therapist and the lady who cuts my hair with cash (always better to tip with cash than on a credit or debit card), and for two, I like having cash on me on the off chance that my credit card doesn't work for some goofy reason. Better to be safe than sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

You pulled up with one of the worst takes of all time.  What kind of substantive response do you want?  There's nothing at all "immature," "irresponsible" or "unprofessional" about not carrying cash on your person at all times.  It's not our job to refute your opinion, it's absurd on its face.  You feel better walking around with cash in your pocket?  That's cool, no one ever said it isn't.  But let's not pretend there's anything substantive in your judgment of others, it's a bonkers opinion that even your fellow cash-carriers wouldn't try to defend. 

My claim was that grown adults that actually have net worth actively choosing to not carry around at least some cash on them at all times in the case of an emergency or unforeseen circumstance is an immature and irresponsible decision because of it being a high reward and no risk thing to do---that is literally effortless. You literally hold a bill in your wallet or slide one between your cell phone and cell phone case.   I backed it up with examples, i articulated my point many times--and you literally have provided nothing to counterpoint it--while many others have.   Read through the thread--I've discussed and counterpointed non cash holders (some of whom brought up solid points) and at the end we still had a civil and positive conversation.  You on the other hand have contributed nothing.  All you have done is twist my take on calling the decision to not carry cash irrepsonsible and immature to somehow claiming that I'm calling the people that make that decision irresponsible and immature as a whole.   Those are two completely different things.  You are changing the context of what I said to cater to your point of view.   That is not a positive discussion--that's you moving the goal posts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

You on the other hand have contributed nothing.

On the contrary, against my better judgment I gave a reason why I wouldn't carry cash and explained why the risk-reward scenario you've presented isn't compelling.  You've actually provided nothing but your bonkers opinion over and over.  And when it was pointed out how dumb it was, you tried to make some distinction between "someone who is immature and irresponsible" and "someone who continuously makes the same immature and irresponsible decision every moment of their life."  It's a distinction without a difference.  There are three types of people in this thread: those who don't carry cash; those who do; and you, out on an island, not just carrying cash but pretending that those who don't aren't adulting as well as you are when you carry cash in your grownup wallet on your way down to the business office to do a business. :shrug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

On the contrary, against my better judgment I gave a reason why I wouldn't carry cash and explained why the risk-reward scenario you've presented isn't compelling.  You've actually provided nothing but your bonkers opinion over and over.  And when it was pointed out how dumb it was, you tried to make some distinction between "someone who is immature and irresponsible" and "someone who continuously makes the same immature and irresponsible decision every moment of their life."  It's a distinction without a difference.  There are three types of people in this thread: those who don't carry cash; those who do; and you, out on an island, not just carrying cash but pretending that those who don't aren't adulting as well as you are when you carry cash in your grownup wallet on your way down to the business office to do a business. :shrug: 

Please copy and paste for me where you politely elaborated and articulated on the risks of carrying some cash on you in the case of an emergency.  I'd like to see your compelling reason about how the risk is not worth it that I somehow missed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

My claim was that grown adults that actually have net worth actively choosing to not carry around at least some cash on them at all times in the case of an emergency or unforeseen circumstance is an immature and irresponsible decision because of it being a high reward and no risk thing to do---that is literally effortless. You literally hold a bill in your wallet or slide one between your cell phone and cell phone case.   I backed it up with examples, i articulated my point many times--and you literally have provided nothing to counterpoint it--while many others have.   Read through the thread--I've discussed and counterpointed non cash holders (some of whom brought up solid points) and at the end we still had a civil and positive conversation.  You on the other hand have contributed nothing.  All you have done is twist my take on calling the decision to not carry cash irrepsonsible and immature to somehow claiming that I'm calling the people that make that decision irresponsible and immature as a whole.   Those are two completely different things.  You are changing the context of what I said to cater to your point of view.   That is not a positive discussion--that's you moving the goal posts. 

Forget about calling someone immature and irresponsible as a whole, the part you don't seem to be getting is that no one agrees with you that not carrying cash is "an immature and irresponsible decision". Most agree that it's a pretty good idea to carry some "just in case" (I do myself), but that's very different from saying it's an immature and irresponsible decision not to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, humpback said:

Forget about calling someone immature and irresponsible as a whole, the part you don't seem to be getting is that no one agrees with you that not carrying cash is "an immature and irresponsible decision". Most agree that it's a pretty good idea to carry some "just in case" (I do myself), but that's very different from saying it's an immature and irresponsible decision not to.

And I do not understand the push back at that at all.  If something literally takes zero effort and it is something that literally has no downside but can provide moderate to substantial upside---how can that not be labelled immature or irresponsible?  Is it fair to call the decision of a grown adult choosing not to ever wear a seatbelt irresponsible/immature even though 99.9% of the time they won't get in an accident? I personally think that's a fair way to characterize that decision--do you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

We just need to pair up the cash-free with the $100+ crowd, as they’re about equally distributed. 

But for anyone who carries money, how do you determine how much is necessary? What’s the expectation for a responsible adult?

Even though I carry cash I basically pay for everything using my CC.     

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, trying to pivot the discussion a bit: I'm kinda surprised 25% of FBGs don't carry cash. I think I would guessed it would be less than that. That you can do everything electronically (CC, phone, etc) is pretty amazing if you think about it. I imagine the number of people who don't carry cash will only increase over time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Right.  Even though I carry insurance I rarely use it.

I play golf with a group of guys..a couple never have cash for skins, or to buy beer from the cart girl.  it is always..put me in and I will venmo you,buy this round and I will PayPal you.  That gets annoying.  How can you go to a golf course knowing we play skins and drink without cash?

Edited by Da Guru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

And I do not understand the push back at that at all.  If something literally takes zero effort and it is something that literally has no downside but can provide moderate to substantial upside---how can that not be labelled immature or irresponsible?  Is it fair to call the decision of a grown adult choosing not to ever wear a seatbelt irresponsible/immature even though 99.9% of the time they won't get in an accident? I personally think that's a fair way to characterize that decision--do you?

I think whether something is irresponsible depends in it upon the severity of the consequences. In my day to day life, if the store doesn't or can't take credit, I simply go elsewhere or wait until another day. Just an inconvenient. But if I don't wear a seatbelt and need it, the consequences could be death. 

Edited by FBG26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

I play golf with a group of guys..a couple never have cash for skins, or to buy beer from the cart girl.  it is always..put me in and I will venmo yo,.buy this round and I will PayPal you.  That gets annoying.  How can you go to a golf course knowing we play skins and drink without cash?

In those scenarios I would carry cash even though I don't typically have cash. Unless you go golfing with no notice, then I'd be out of luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

And I do not understand the push back at that at all.  If something literally takes zero effort and it is something that literally has no downside but can provide moderate to substantial upside---how can that not be labelled immature or irresponsible?  Is it fair to call the decision of a grown adult choosing not to ever wear a seatbelt irresponsible/immature even though 99.9% of the time they won't get in an accident? I personally think that's a fair way to characterize that decision--do you?

It isn't true that there is literally no downside (could be lost or stolen as an example), but again, that's not the point.

I might characterize a grown adult not wearing a seat belt as irresponsible because they very likely have a responsibility to someone else to remain alive, however there is no such responsibility to be carrying cash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, eoMMan said:

So annoying when you are trying to get lunch and people have absolutely no money on them to pay their share.

I get it....most of us have Venmo/PayPal now but at least keep a few smaller bills on you.  I don't want to hear "let me go to the ATM, I'll pay you back".

The psychology of group bills is a whole ‘nother topic. Personally I don’t like it when people insist on splitting the bill, preferring one person just pay the entire thing with the implicit understanding someone else steps up to the plate in the future. Second best is one person pays by cc while everyone else pays (bill + tip)/number of people to the cc user. Splitting it with multiple cc is a little worse, while people who scrutinize the bill and pay exactly their share (usually with a sub-20% tip included, but not always) are beyond irresponsible and immature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Always.  For one, I try to always tip my massage therapist and the lady who cuts my hair with cash (always better to tip with cash than on a credit or debit card), and for two, I like having cash on me on the off chance that my credit card doesn't work for some goofy reason. Better to be safe than sorry.

I bring cash to tip hairstylists, and shuttle bus drivers when I travel. But not restaurant servers. Aside from facilitating tax evasion for those who can be paid electronically, why is a cash tip better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...