What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you typically carry cash on your person? (2 Viewers)

If yes, how much do you typically carry?

• NA, I don't typically carry cash on my person

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • $5 or less

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • $5.01 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.01 - $20

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • $20.01 - $40

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • $40.01 - $60

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • $60.01 - $100

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • More than$100

Votes: 65 23.9%

• Total voters
And I do not understand the push back at that at all.  If something literally takes zero effort and it is something that literally has no downside but can provide moderate to substantial upside---how can that not be labelled immature or irresponsible?  Is it fair to call the decision of a grown adult choosing not to ever wear a seatbelt irresponsible/immature even though 99.9% of the time they won't get in an accident? I personally think that's a fair way to characterize that decision--do you?
It’s pretty easy, but not zero effort. I don’t carry a wallet, so it’s just one more thing to potentially lose. And I tend to spend cash whenever I have it. Not sure why, but it quickly burns a hole in my pocket. 

But more importantly, I think you’re overstating the benefits, and the risk is nowhere near that of an unrestrained auto accident.

I play golf with a group of guys..a couple never have cash for skins, or to buy beer from the cart girl.  it is always..put me in and I will venmo you,buy this round and I will PayPal you.  That gets annoying.  How can you go to a golf course knowing we play skins and drink without cash?
Not familiar with this culture, thankfully.

It’s pretty easy, but not zero effort. I don’t carry a wallet, so it’s just one more thing to potentially lose. And I tend to spend cash whenever I have it. Not sure why, but it quickly burns a hole in my pocket. 

But more importantly, I think you’re overstating the benefits, and the risk is nowhere near that of an unrestrained auto accident.
You cannot quantify the benefits of the cash when it comes to  unexpected events. Did anybody expect covid to have the economic and lifestyle ramifications before it happened?  Ask anybody that has been in a prolonged power outage,  weather event, or natural disaster how having money for food, water, batteries, possibly fuel , supplies can make a difference.  I get why you don't do it--you politely and civilly articulated why it doesn't make sense for you--and as I said to the other poster--I appreciated our exchange and points of view.   Some people on the other side of the argument are twisting my words and context against me without articulating any reasons why they think that carrying cash is a bad idea or doesn't make sense for them.  As far as I'm concerned--you've stated your case and in your case--I think it's a strong one.  

It’s honestly really irresponsible to walk around with cash in your pocket for an emergency.  What good will it do when our fiat currency inevitably fails?  Good luck feeding your family with worthless green paper.  That’s why I carry around a few gold doubloons in a small leather pouch and three beaver pelts.  

I suppose I can get on board with saying that NOT carrying any cash on you is mildly irresponsible and many times inconsiderate.  

Seems many dont carry cash just to prove some sort of point or something.  Just throw a few 20s in your wallet people.  

However, if you have zero self control and just HAVE to spend any cash that you see, then sure, dont carry cash.  However, studies have shown that people who use exclusively cash spend less than those that use cards, enough less to make up for any missed perks.  Just saying.

I suppose I can get on board with saying that NOT carrying any cash on you is mildly irresponsible and many times inconsiderate.  

Seems many dont carry cash just to prove some sort of point or something.  Just throw a few 20s in your wallet people.  

However, if you have zero self control and just HAVE to spend any cash that you see, then sure, dont carry cash.  However, studies have shown that people who use exclusively cash spend less than those that use cards, enough less to make up for any missed perks.  Just saying.
This is true. There is a reason why vegas doesn't take cash bets at blackjack tables.   They find that when players actually see their green cash changing hands--they become more cognizant of it and gamble less. By making you buy chips and then using those to gamble--you are likely to gamble more and lose more.  I use my credit and debit cards more often not because they save me from spending money--I do it solely because it helps me in regards to my accounting and seeing  where I'm spending my money.  I can say with certainty--that using my debit and credit cards is doing nothing to make me spend less.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Or, you know, if you literally never use cash for anything then there's no reason to carry cash on you at all times.  If you're going to need cash for some reason, go get some.  The cash-carriers are the ones trying to prove that their way is "right," the rest of us have said it's fine if you want to carry and fine if you don't.   

If I ever end up in some highly specific (and correspondingly extremely unlikely) scenario where I need a $20 bill to save my life and am unable to acquire one, I'll admit bonkers guy was right with my dying breath.  :shrug:  

Unless I am in Vegas, it is weird when I have cash in my wallet. When I do it is normally some left over from a Vegas trip. It may be there a while because I forget its there.

What if I don’t carry a wallet?  I guess that’s immature and irresponsible too?

You cannot quantify the benefits of the cash when it comes to  unexpected events. Did anybody expect covid to have the economic and lifestyle ramifications before it happened?  Ask anybody that has been in a prolonged power outage,  weather event, or natural disaster how having money for food, water, batteries, possibly fuel , supplies can make a difference.  I get why you don't do it--you politely and civilly articulated why it doesn't make sense for you--and as I said to the other poster--I appreciated our exchange and points of view.   Some people on the other side of the argument are twisting my words and context against me without articulating any reasons why they think that carrying cash is a bad idea or doesn't make sense for them.  As far as I'm concerned--you've stated your case and in your case--I think it's a strong one.  
I’ve gone 46 years and never had a cash emergency - I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard of anyone I know having a cash emergency.  If you want to carry cash then fine, if you want to consider those that don’t irresponsible, fine - we think you are judgemental and have no point.  We can agree to disagree.

Im pretty close to 4 first class tickets to Hawaii with my credit card points. 

Ill have cash on me and still use my credit card. 

My wife tutors and sometimes they give cash. If it wasnt for that, I would never have it on me. 

Like others, we have a stash in the house in case, but never use it and it just keeps growing. 

Literally, the only place I ever NEED cash is the stupid ice cream place my kids like to go to. 

You cannot quantify the benefits precisely, though one can estimate what an extra $20 could provide. But I have non-perishable food, water, batteries/light and other supplies already prepared at home for an emergency. 

And there are models that predicted a lot of the impact covid has had on society. Our leaders just ignored them.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Just not my habit. And I have no wallet. Not really using my credit card points either.

I’ve gone 46 years and never had a cash emergency - I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard of anyone I know having a cash emergency.  If you want to carry cash then fine, if you want to consider those that don’t irresponsible, fine - we think you are judgemental and have no point.  We can agree to disagree.
Absolutely we can agree to disagree--there is zero shame in that outcome.   You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. And you just judged me and proved my point that everybody judges the actions and decisions of others.   

I will say this - the happiness I get out of never carrying a wallet far exceeds any potential stress I might have from needing cash.

I carry cash for golf obviously, every day stuff I rarely use cash, usually lunch when we go to local shops

I typically carry between $200-$500.  I think this goes back to the days taking cabs while traveling vs Uber/lyft.  Their CC machines back in the day were always down so you needed to have cash.  Fast forward to today, i try to use my card when ever i can for the cash back (currently have the 2% cash back from Citi).  I would be interested in the age groups that carry vs not.  I don't have venmo or any other virtual payment so cash is king.  Also, where i live there is always a "cash" discount for services.  My mechanic doesn't charge tax, our gardener has a cash price vs CC price.  

Or, you know, if you literally never use cash for anything then there's no reason to carry cash on you at all times.  If you're going to need cash for some reason, go get some.  The cash-carriers are the ones trying to prove that their way is "right," the rest of us have said it's fine if you want to carry and fine if you don't.   

If I ever end up in some highly specific (and correspondingly extremely unlikely) scenario where I need a $20 bill to save my life and am unable to acquire one, I'll admit bonkers guy was right with my dying breath.  :shrug:  
Boy, are you being rude in here.  We get it - you think jvd is wrong.  

I typically carry between $200-$500.  I think this goes back to the days taking cabs while traveling vs Uber/lyft.  Their CC machines back in the day were always down so you needed to have cash.  Fast forward to today, i try to use my card when ever i can for the cash back (currently have the 2% cash back from Citi).  I would be interested in the age groups that carry vs not.  I don't have venmo or any other virtual payment so cash is king.  Also, where i live there is always a "cash" discount for services.  My mechanic doesn't charge tax, our gardener has a cash price vs CC price.  
Mid 30's, vacations aside generally only carry cash if I need it. Bank is less than a block away, so I just leave a couple minutes early if I'm heading somewhere I need it. Golf course, take out from local joint (don't want them dinged for cc fees), bars (pre covid), etc. 

Otherwise, just have a grand stashed at home. Most of what we do is paypal, venmo, and credit card (points).

Boy, are you being rude in here.  We get it - you think jvd is wrong.  
Yes, I think the guy calling other people immature, irresponsible and unprofessional (not to mention snarky and trolling) for perfectly normal behavior is wrong.  In fact, I know he's wrong, we all do.  But, you know, we can just fall back on this old standby:

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.
:shrug:  

I withdraw a $100 and let that wittle down. Usually lasts a few months because I charge everything to card. 

Really just used for tipping.

Yes, I think the guy calling other people immature, irresponsible and unprofessional (not to mention snarky and trolling) for perfectly normal behavior is wrong.  In fact, I know he's wrong, we all do.  But, you know, we can just fall back on this old standby:

First of all- i’ve Invited you plenty of times in this thread to politely inform me of how not carrying around any cash is a responsible and mature decision. Is the notion that the banking system is 100% full proof and infallible your position?  Are you implying that there is a 0% chance that at some point in your life there will ever be a moment where you might need cash to where it’s not readily available to you? If you guys don’t want to carry around cash- that’s your decision- but the arguments for why most of you don’t do it are not compelling. Most of them basically are “ well yeah, having a little cash could maybe help, but not that much”.  Not wearing seatbelts could also be viewed as being an irresponsible and immature decision. Not having home or car insurance could also be viewed as that. If an uninsured driver hits your car- are you going to tell me that you won’t judge that persons decision to not carry car insurance as being irresponsible and immature?  Don’t try to vilify me when everybody - including yourself —judges people’s actions and decisions. 

There are quite a few "normal" things that people do that are immature, irresponsible, and unprofessional.  

There are different levels of course, and not carrying any cash is obviously on the very low level here.   Probably more inconsiderate than the other things.  Small businesses get killed by credit card fees, so I pay cash there when I can.  Tipping is obviously better for someone if tipped cash.  Not to mention other general useful situations to have a little cash on hand.

Does little Sally down the street accept venmo at her lemonade stand?

It's 2020, she probably does. :)   But obviously if I'm walking down the street to buy lemonade from a child I'd bring some cash from my house.  I love how in order to try to defend the absurd position someone took, you have to come up with examples that have absolutely nothing to do with the position he took.  

We're not talking about cash occasionally being useful, we're talking about someone who thinks it's "irresponsible" to not carry a little cash on your person at all times because nothing is "full proof" and some wild scenario might come up where your life depends on having a little bit of cash and it's otherwise completely unobtainable.  The specific circumstances that would lead to such a scenario are nearly impossible to imagine.  He's not even trying to defend it anymore, he's moved on to some other point about how everyone judges other people sometimes so therefore something something he was right all along. 

This thread started out as an interesting discussion about why people choose to or choose not to carry cash. Then it turned into two posters trying to prove who has the bigger bladder and it kind of ruined it.

This thread started out as an interesting discussion about why people choose to or choose not to carry cash. Then it turned into two posters trying to prove who has the bigger bladder and it kind of ruined it.
I mean, this thread was literally created in response to the bonkers take we're discussing here because it was muddled up in a different thread, but ok. 

People spending money at small businesses aren’t killing small businesses lol. Big businesses are killing small businesses. But that’s a whole different topic. 

Fees are a meaningful line item for small biz, whether it's cc or app. Making it available is a cost of doing business, but I use cash as often as I can to help them out. Even if it means me not getting points for that transaction. 

Fees are a meaningful line item for small biz, whether it's cc or app. Making it available is a cost of doing business, but I use cash as often as I can to help them out. Even if it means me not getting points for that transaction. 
Right.  A small transaction with a card is basically zero profit for them.

I have been to a few places lately that charge a fee if you use a credit card.  Well above whatever points you would earn.

Pre COVID typically between $100-$200 just for tips, or random things but typically would not go to the ATM once per month, so used it pretty sparingly.

Post COVID probably between $40-$80 because not going anywhere at all and probably haven’t gone to the ATM in at least two months.

In short I think it is good to have some cash on hand to take of random things but the need for it even pre COVID has diminishing rapidly.

Right.  A small transaction with a card is basically zero profit for them.
I thought the transaction fee was a percentage. Is there a minimum transaction charge, like $0.20 or 3%, whichever is greater?

I mean, you've got tiny pop-ups and food trucks and vendors at craft fairs using Square and similar services. Not to mention Venmo and similar for places without formal arrangements with MC/Visa/Discover. How onerous per transaction can those be? Has there been a better card-accepting (or at least cashless) mousetrap build over the past 10 years, but some small businesses are sticking with cash-only and/or forgoing cards based on 15-20-yeara-old information and parameters?

After posting in this thread that I never carry cash and couldn't remember when the last time I went to the ATM, I ended up going to the ATM Friday.  :lmao:

We were staying in a cabin this weekend with my brother in law, sister in law and their kids for the kids bday. Thought maybe I better have some cash "just in case". Took $100 out. Came home with $100. 

Paid for take out tonight with some of it (normally would have just used my debit card) and now the rest will just sit there in my wallet for probably the next couple months. But now that I have an extra $20 or so in my wallet, I do feel more responsible.  :D

I thought the transaction fee was a percentage. Is there a minimum transaction charge, like $0.20 or 3%, whichever is greater?

I mean, you've got tiny pop-ups and food trucks and vendors at craft fairs using Square and similar services. Not to mention Venmo and similar for places without formal arrangements with MC/Visa/Discover. How onerous per transaction can those be? Has there been a better card-accepting (or at least cashless) mousetrap build over the past 10 years, but some small businesses are sticking with cash-only and/or forgoing cards based on 15-20-yeara-old information and parameters?
I dont know specifics, but I do know it depends on the contract. 

There are quite a few "normal" things that people do that are immature, irresponsible, and unprofessional.  

There are different levels of course, and not carrying any cash is obviously on the very low level here.   Probably more inconsiderate than the other things.  Small businesses get killed by credit card fees, so I pay cash there when I can.  Tipping is obviously better for someone if tipped cash.  Not to mention other general useful situations to have a little cash on hand.

Can you explain this to me? I understand merchants pay a cc fee for each transaction involving credit, but tips are taxed the same regardless. Kinda like paying cash for services “under the table”, I feel like cash tips are often a vehicle for tax evasion.

Can you explain this to me? I understand merchants pay a cc fee for each transaction involving credit, but tips are taxed the same regardless. Kinda like paying cash for services “under the table”, I feel like cash tips are often a vehicle for tax evasion.
Waiter have to pay tax on tips (although it can be argued that they don’t pay tax because of the new tax code) vs cash which you only claim a portion of.   Same for any small business you pay cash at.  

sbonomo said:
Waiter have to pay tax on tips (although it can be argued that they don’t pay tax because of the new tax code) vs cash which you only claim a portion of.   Same for any small business you pay cash at.  
I think he is saying he doesn't like tax evasion.

MAC_32 said:
On some level this makes sense, but isn’t the whole point of businesses offering alternative payment types to increase revenue? Surely the greater number of purchases enabled by accepting cc, etc. more than offsets the fees cc companies charge.

johnnycakes said:
If your car breaks down and you need a tow, some tow companies don't take credit.  Cash only.  
How much does towing cost nowadays? Leaving an emergency fund in the vehicle kinda makes sense, though I can’t ever recall anyone needing urgent towing, except following an accident. Don’t many auto insurers provide this service?

Users who are viewing this thread