Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Do you typically carry cash on your person?

FBG26

Do you typically carry cash on your person?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, FBG26 said:

The point, for those of us who don't typically carry cash, is that the mere act of not carrying cash is not "irresponsible". There are lots of other adjectives a person could use to describe such an act, but the non-cash folks don't think that particular word applies.

You've said that carrying cash is super easy and thus not doing it is irresponsible (paraphrasing, but I believe that to be an accurate summary of your statements). However, I argue that the mere fact that an act is easy to perform does not make it irresponsible if I choose not to perform that act.

Whether an act is irresponsible depends upon the severity of the consequences of performing the act or not performing the act.  To me, irresponsible implies a risk of significant negative consequence. Driving too fast can be irresponsible because there is a risk of serious injury or death. What is the significant negative consequence of not carrying cash at all times? A credit card terminal is unexpectedly down and I either go without lunch or get it somewhere else? I've seen the example of power being down for a few hours or days. My family keeps cash at home to deal with those scenarios. I don't believe anybody has presented a scenario where the lack of having immediate access to cash on my person could cause a significant negative consequence. 

So yes, carrying cash is easy and often nice. Not carrying cash on my person is NOT irresponsible. That is the point. 

I always get stuck paying for all my friends kids at the ice cream truck and Kona ice.  I'm the only one carrying cash.  Jerks!

Sometimes they say "Oh, I'll send you some Venmo"

GTFO with that.

Edited by PIK95

Love cash. Since before many of you were born, at least a quarter-inch of bills (the denoms are lower now) folded over a few cards & IDs, kept with a thick black hair band.

When i gambled for a living, 30+ yrs ago, $2800 was my number. Every Sunday noon and Thursday dinner, i'd dump down or build up to $2800, besides boom or bust events. 10K in the house. Trouble but not too much trouble money. If it got serious, envelope in a sportcoat or Members Only jacket just to make sure i took it seriously. Life, simple & sure.

1 hour ago, PIK95 said:

I always get stuck paying for all my friends kids at the ice cream truck and Kona ice.  I'm the only one carrying cash.  Jerks!

Sometimes they say "Oh, I'll send you some Venmo"

GTFO with that.

Sucker 

On 8/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, NREC34 said:

I think we can all find some common ground in here. 

The freaking penny needs to be abolished. Every price rounded to the nearest .05. 

I can’t even use those bastards in a vending machine. 

Could not agree more.

This is the best part of having taxes and service charges already included in the price of all things. Here in Europe I have never once received a penny in change as all things are priced ending in €x.x5, €x.x0, or €x.00. 

Pennies are the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harris said:

Could not agree more.

This is the best part of having taxes and service charges already included in the price of all things. Here in Europe I have never once received a penny in change as all things are priced ending in €x.x5, €x.x0, or €x.00. 

Pennies are the worst.

Someone will profit quite bigly if/when that ever happens. 

Either way, I agree.

And yes, the price of something should be the price with all taxes and fees factored in.  So stupid that it's not.  

57 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Someone will profit quite bigly if/when that ever happens. 

Either way, I agree.

And yes, the price of something should be the price with all taxes and fees factored in.  So stupid that it's not.  

Just had this discussion the other day with son #2. More about vacation rentals and how the processing fee, cleaning fee, taxes, etc are all added afterwards. Until it's required to be all included upfront there's just no incentive for a business to do so, while most people just look for the lowest price that meets their goal. 

I suppose if you knew upfront that a store included tax, that novelty would get some traction. 

Always have cash. One reason is not wanting my credit card info at every business around (especially Target!).  Another is being able to drop the waitress cash and leave without sitting around waiting for her to pick up and ruin the card.  Similarly, I hate going out with a group of people who all want to pay with their cards and make the waitress do extra work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

I suppose if you knew upfront that a store included tax, that novelty would get some traction. 

It would be just that, a novelty. You’d need it to be mandatory before any other businesses adopted the practice. Especially given the varying tax rates across different jurisdictions it seems like it would be a big headache for business with no tangible benefits. 

Around 8-9 years ago I got one of those iPhone cases that holds a few credit cards in the pocket on the back and use it to carry my main rewards/points credit card I use for everyday spending, my debit card as a back-up and in case I need to hit an ATM for cash, my Driver's License, and one folded $20 bill for a cash emergency. All my medical, auto insurance cards, etc. are pictures on my phone. My phone has been my wallet ever since.

Every once in a while I'll have to tap into that emergency $20 bill for something, but if I'm going to need cash (like going to a wedding where I might need to tip a bartender, or to a farmer's market) I'll either bring some cash with me or find an ATM. And my bank reimburses me for up to $15 in out-of-network ATM fees per month, so I never have to worry about what ATM I use.

• 3 weeks later...

Buddy of mine is one that routinely carries a $1000+ with him at all times.  He's also gotten to be kind of an airhead in his old age.

Did a little hiking with him at Rocky Mountain National Park a couple weeks ago.  When we got back to our vehicle after one hike, there was a note on the windshield.  "David, please come to the ranger's station."  My first thought was someone had tracked us down with bad news from home (someone died, bad accident, etc.) and couldn't reach us due to bad cell service.

The ranger we met just said, "you are going to be very happy."  It was actually a relief to find out he just dropped his binder clip of cash ($1400+) and cards when we got out of the vehicle at the trailhead.  Some kind stranger brought it to the ranger station intact.  Buddy wished they would have taken a couple hundred as a reward.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, hooter311 said:

How else are you supposed to buy a wallaby when the opportunity presents itself?

during my gambler days - when i toted a chokin' roll and a bindle everywhere i went - i once bought a canoe at a drug store @ 5am and purchased the great Ramsey Lewis's Fender Rhodes 88 (his signature was burnt into the soundboard - my youngest son has it now) without remembering having done so.

I use cash to pay for gas at my local place.  They're the cheapest around here and charge even less per gallon if you use cash so that's about the only reason I carry money.   Still, if I hit the ATM I'll take out like $300 just so I don't have to deal with the hassle again for months.

It's funny, I voted Yes and $20 - $40 but I'll bet I haven't had money in my wallet for a month or two now, we just don't run out that much and if we do we're in and out.

So, in normal times, I like to have some cash just in case, maybe for a cup of coffee or a soda, sometimes (if it's a really hot day out) and we do a bunch of grocery store hopping (Sam's, Kroger, Costco, etc.) I'll grab a cooler and fill it with ice to keep things cold so we don't have to go back and forth from home to the store but again in normal times.  We haven't really shopped like that in a long time.

Should clarify that while I never intentionally carry cash on me, I often have some anyway because other people still use it. This past weekend my buddy gave me $20 for some supplies and I’ve just been carrying it around until I find some occasion to use it. Fast forward to this morning and I’m taking the puppy for a walk. I run into my neighbor and his kid going around putting fundraising flyers in mailboxes. Chat for a few minutes and of course I take a flyer. Let the kid give his little sales pitch, and tell him I'm happy to support the cause and would like to buy some popcorn. I reach in my pocket, pull out my phone and scan the QR code on the flyer to place the order and pay. Go on my way and about ten minutes later the dog ####s on the side of the road. Realize I didn’t bring any poop bags and frantically check my pockets for something to pick up the poop with. Pull out the $20 bill and clean up the mess. Good thing I had that cash! 

9 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Should clarify that while I never intentionally carry cash on me, I often have some anyway because other people still use it. This past weekend my buddy gave me $20 for some supplies and I’ve just been carrying it around until I find some occasion to use it. Fast forward to this morning and I’m taking the puppy for a walk. I run into my neighbor and his kid going around putting fundraising flyers in mailboxes. Chat for a few minutes and of course I take a flyer. Let the kid give his little sales pitch, and tell him I'm happy to support the cause and would like to buy some popcorn. I reach in my pocket, pull out my phone and scan the QR code on the flyer to place the order and pay. Go on my way and about ten minutes later the dog ####s on the side of the road. Realize I didn’t bring any poop bags and frantically check my pockets for something to pick up the poop with. Pull out the $20 bill and clean up the mess. Good thing I had that cash! 

Very responsible and mature!