What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you typically carry cash on your person? (1 Viewer)

If yes, how much do you typically carry?

• NA, I don't typically carry cash on my person

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • $5 or less

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • $5.01 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.01 - $20

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • $20.01 - $40

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • $40.01 - $60

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • $60.01 - $100

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • More than$100

Votes: 65 23.9%

• Total voters
FBG26 said:
The point, for those of us who don't typically carry cash, is that the mere act of not carrying cash is not "irresponsible". There are lots of other adjectives a person could use to describe such an act, but the non-cash folks don't think that particular word applies.

You've said that carrying cash is super easy and thus not doing it is irresponsible (paraphrasing, but I believe that to be an accurate summary of your statements). However, I argue that the mere fact that an act is easy to perform does not make it irresponsible if I choose not to perform that act.

Whether an act is irresponsible depends upon the severity of the consequences of performing the act or not performing the act.  To me, irresponsible implies a risk of significant negative consequence. Driving too fast can be irresponsible because there is a risk of serious injury or death. What is the significant negative consequence of not carrying cash at all times? A credit card terminal is unexpectedly down and I either go without lunch or get it somewhere else? I've seen the example of power being down for a few hours or days. My family keeps cash at home to deal with those scenarios. I don't believe anybody has presented a scenario where the lack of having immediate access to cash on my person could cause a significant negative consequence. 

So yes, carrying cash is easy and often nice. Not carrying cash on my person is NOT irresponsible. That is the point. 
I always get stuck paying for all my friends kids at the ice cream truck and Kona ice.  I'm the only one carrying cash.  Jerks!

Sometimes they say "Oh, I'll send you some Venmo"

GTFO with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love cash. Since before many of you were born, at least a quarter-inch of bills (the denoms are lower now) folded over a few cards & IDs, kept with a thick black hair band.

When i gambled for a living, 30+ yrs ago, $2800 was my number. Every Sunday noon and Thursday dinner, i'd dump down or build up to $2800, besides boom or bust events. 10K in the house. Trouble but not too much trouble money. If it got serious, envelope in a sportcoat or Members Only jacket just to make sure i took it seriously. Life, simple & sure.

I think we can all find some common ground in here. 

The freaking penny needs to be abolished. Every price rounded to the nearest .05. 

I can’t even use those bastards in a vending machine. 
Could not agree more.

This is the best part of having taxes and service charges already included in the price of all things. Here in Europe I have never once received a penny in change as all things are priced ending in €x.x5, €x.x0, or €x.00. 

Pennies are the worst.

Could not agree more.

This is the best part of having taxes and service charges already included in the price of all things. Here in Europe I have never once received a penny in change as all things are priced ending in €x.x5, €x.x0, or €x.00. 

Pennies are the worst.
Someone will profit quite bigly if/when that ever happens. 

Either way, I agree.

And yes, the price of something should be the price with all taxes and fees factored in.  So stupid that it's not.  

Someone will profit quite bigly if/when that ever happens. 

Either way, I agree.

And yes, the price of something should be the price with all taxes and fees factored in.  So stupid that it's not.  
Just had this discussion the other day with son #2. More about vacation rentals and how the processing fee, cleaning fee, taxes, etc are all added afterwards. Until it's required to be all included upfront there's just no incentive for a business to do so, while most people just look for the lowest price that meets their goal. 

I suppose if you knew upfront that a store included tax, that novelty would get some traction. 

Always have cash. One reason is not wanting my credit card info at every business around (especially Target!).  Another is being able to drop the waitress cash and leave without sitting around waiting for her to pick up and ruin the card.  Similarly, I hate going out with a group of people who all want to pay with their cards and make the waitress do extra work.  

I suppose if you knew upfront that a store included tax, that novelty would get some traction. 
It would be just that, a novelty. You’d need it to be mandatory before any other businesses adopted the practice. Especially given the varying tax rates across different jurisdictions it seems like it would be a big headache for business with no tangible benefits. 

Around 8-9 years ago I got one of those iPhone cases that holds a few credit cards in the pocket on the back and use it to carry my main rewards/points credit card I use for everyday spending, my debit card as a back-up and in case I need to hit an ATM for cash, my Driver's License, and one folded $20 bill for a cash emergency. All my medical, auto insurance cards, etc. are pictures on my phone. My phone has been my wallet ever since.

Every once in a while I'll have to tap into that emergency $20 bill for something, but if I'm going to need cash (like going to a wedding where I might need to tip a bartender, or to a farmer's market) I'll either bring some cash with me or find an ATM. And my bank reimburses me for up to $15 in out-of-network ATM fees per month, so I never have to worry about what ATM I use.

Buddy of mine is one that routinely carries a $1000+ with him at all times.  He's also gotten to be kind of an airhead in his old age.

Did a little hiking with him at Rocky Mountain National Park a couple weeks ago.  When we got back to our vehicle after one hike, there was a note on the windshield.  "David, please come to the ranger's station."  My first thought was someone had tracked us down with bad news from home (someone died, bad accident, etc.) and couldn't reach us due to bad cell service.

The ranger we met just said, "you are going to be very happy."  It was actually a relief to find out he just dropped his binder clip of cash ($1400+) and cards when we got out of the vehicle at the trailhead.  Some kind stranger brought it to the ranger station intact.  Buddy wished they would have taken a couple hundred as a reward.

How else are you supposed to buy a wallaby when the opportunity presents itself?
during my gambler days - when i toted a chokin' roll and a bindle everywhere i went - i once bought a canoe at a drug store @ 5am and purchased the great Ramsey Lewis's Fender Rhodes 88 (his signature was burnt into the soundboard - my youngest son has it now) without remembering having done so.

I use cash to pay for gas at my local place.  They're the cheapest around here and charge even less per gallon if you use cash so that's about the only reason I carry money.   Still, if I hit the ATM I'll take out like $300 just so I don't have to deal with the hassle again for months.

It's funny, I voted Yes and $20 - $40 but I'll bet I haven't had money in my wallet for a month or two now, we just don't run out that much and if we do we're in and out.

So, in normal times, I like to have some cash just in case, maybe for a cup of coffee or a soda, sometimes (if it's a really hot day out) and we do a bunch of grocery store hopping (Sam's, Kroger, Costco, etc.) I'll grab a cooler and fill it with ice to keep things cold so we don't have to go back and forth from home to the store but again in normal times.  We haven't really shopped like that in a long time.

Should clarify that while I never intentionally carry cash on me, I often have some anyway because other people still use it. This past weekend my buddy gave me $20 for some supplies and I’ve just been carrying it around until I find some occasion to use it. Fast forward to this morning and I’m taking the puppy for a walk. I run into my neighbor and his kid going around putting fundraising flyers in mailboxes. Chat for a few minutes and of course I take a flyer. Let the kid give his little sales pitch, and tell him I'm happy to support the cause and would like to buy some popcorn. I reach in my pocket, pull out my phone and scan the QR code on the flyer to place the order and pay. Go on my way and about ten minutes later the dog ####s on the side of the road. Realize I didn’t bring any poop bags and frantically check my pockets for something to pick up the poop with. Pull out the $20 bill and clean up the mess. Good thing I had that cash! 

Should clarify that while I never intentionally carry cash on me, I often have some anyway because other people still use it. This past weekend my buddy gave me $20 for some supplies and I’ve just been carrying it around until I find some occasion to use it. Fast forward to this morning and I’m taking the puppy for a walk. I run into my neighbor and his kid going around putting fundraising flyers in mailboxes. Chat for a few minutes and of course I take a flyer. Let the kid give his little sales pitch, and tell him I'm happy to support the cause and would like to buy some popcorn. I reach in my pocket, pull out my phone and scan the QR code on the flyer to place the order and pay. Go on my way and about ten minutes later the dog ####s on the side of the road. Realize I didn’t bring any poop bags and frantically check my pockets for something to pick up the poop with. Pull out the $20 bill and clean up the mess. Good thing I had that cash! 
Very responsible and mature!

Grabbed lunch today for my daughter and me.  Credit card machine was down.  Always carrying cash pays off again.

I haven't carried a wallet in 3 years.  Don't carry cash unless someone gives it to me or I know ahead of time I will need it.  Seems like whether it's necessary to carry it totally depends on who the person is, where they live and what activities they are involved in. 

Skimming through the thread, the whole irresponsible or immature idea seems weird to me.  There's lots of things I could do to eliminate all risk in my life but just because I don't do them doesn't make me immature or irresponsible - it's all the others things that make me immature or irresponsible.

I'm old enough to be uncomfortable if I don't have cash in my pocket. I use Venmo and PayPal but i still have a couple hundred on me most of the time.

I haven't carried a wallet in 3 years.  Don't carry cash unless someone gives it to me or I know ahead of time I will need it.  Seems like whether it's necessary to carry it totally depends on who the person is, where they live and what activities they are involved in. 
Thank you for bumping this awesome thread. 

yeah labeling not carrying cash at all times irresponsible and immature was a hot take i think labeling people immature and irresponsible over personal payment preferences is a strange hill to die on take that to the bank brohans

yeah labeling not carrying cash at all times irresponsible and immature was a hot take i think labeling people immature and irresponsible over personal payment preferences is a strange hill to die on take that to the bank brohans
Only if I'm getting out some cash, bromigo.

Yep. Haven't had a wallet in over a decade, nor do I routinely carry cash. Or a phone (use iWatch).

Because of the pandemic and recent health issues, I was forced to increase the complexity of things I carry. Previously, it was just my license + credit card. Now it's those two cards, my health insurance card, proof of vaccination, PLUS a foldback paperclip to hold all that junk together. So cumbersome.

You think ATM's work all of the time?  You think if there is a mass disaster or large unexpected event that ATM's will have enough cash in them to supply the masses with cash?   How about a weather even that causes power outages or shuts down credit card terminals and ATM's?   I agree that having no cash works beautifully 999/1000 days--but you should always have a little bit on you for those rare occurrences when you actually need it.   Unexpected events arise all of the time and fully depending on systems that you have no control over to function perfectly is risky. That's just my 2 cents. 

Big believer that everyone should have a three layer type emergency kit plan.

A kit for the car/vehicle. A kit designed as a bug out bag/gear bag. And a smaller belt kit. Each kit, IMHO, should have cash in it.

I particularly feel women should have some cash on them. For example, if they aren't feeling safe in some environment, walk into a storefront and buy something, even something small, and say you don't feel safe, someone is outside, etc, and you will be treated different. Customer versus not customer. People don't think that makes a difference but it does make a difference.

Sometimes you are in a situation where you are getting a lift from someone for something and you want to give them a little gas money. It's handy to have on hand for kids. For example, if you have friends with children, give the kids a little cash if you visit, kids like having a little pocket money for little things that kids like to collect.

If you go somewhere where they do take electronic or credit cards but the entire vibe is off or shady, I'd rather pay cash. I don't need more people knowing more about me.

Depending on your business and work environment, you might naturally carry more cash. I had a half stake in a restaurant for about two years and I carried more cash then and used more cash at the point probably compared to the rest of my entire life combined.

As a business owner, sometimes I need someone to do something for me and it's easier to have cash on hand to give them to say go take care of it.

I come from a different generational timeline. Cash was mostly the only option in many cases. The trick is to have a cash reserve on you different and separate from your "walking around money"

I would consider not having emergency kits built and available to be irresponsible for anyone who has children. And cash inside of them is a practical requirement. In just about every major scale disaster in the modern era, you'll have fathers going out risking major harm in complex dangerous environments to go get baby formula. It's not something many people realize. If something bad happens like a major earthquake or tsunami or something of that nature, and the regular access to normal food stocks is gone, your baby still needs to eat.

Personally I don't get it. Lots of people seem offended about having a used backpack with a tarp in it, some lighters, a full tang knife, some cordage, a stainless steel water bottle, etc, etc. Lots of people here mock that. Everyone laughs until their children are dying.

For people who are single, do what you want.

For people with kids though, you've made a decision to no longer just live your life for yourself.

Our society used to be hunter/gatherer based. Those who didn't plan things out died. And their children died. Even if you planned things out, sometimes you were just really damn unlucky and you died anyway. And your children died for that lack of luck too. This is a society and culture of entitlement and abundance. The assumption is that what you have today will be here tomorrow, and that's just not true.

I'm not going to demand someone else be prepared. But if your kids are starving and and I have to take care of my godson first, sorry, I have other priorities. I wish you luck and hope it works out for you, but that's the deal you made for yourself and your kids.

Should a parent have cash on them for some kind of emergency basis? I believe any parent should do everything in their power to open up their option tree if something goes bad and they need to adjust to protect their kids.

Most of the time, I meet people in life and I just plain feel sorry for their children. I see entitled selfish smug tone deaf jerks and I envision the kind of example that's being set for those kids. Lots of people are under the impression that someone somewhere or some government is just going to automatically save them.

I usually carry change for a hundred. That way if someone owes me a few bucks and claims they only have a hundred dollar bill, I gots me my money.

I'll post to get some more pages going...

Definitely have cash, mostly to pay bets or for 7-11 stops.  I've got several groups I play golf with.  One of them plays for big money which is fun.  The other plays for $2, and we are mostly scratch golfers with plenty of coin.  Yes, $2 per person for the entire round.  So lame.  I mean what kind of betting doesn't even pay for a soda?  So I make it a point to carry several hundreds and be sure they see them all when I donate my two $1 bills inside the roll to the pot.  Apparently all these guys missed inflation the last 40 years.

I carry cash to tip with. One of the perks of getting tipped used to be getting a few bucks daily. On card tips the employees get their tips added onto their checks.

I carry cash to tip with. One of the perks of getting tipped used to be getting a few bucks daily. On card tips the employees get their tips added onto their checks.

We used to cash out our tips nightly.. the only difference being the card tips were taxed, no way not to report them.

We used to cash out our tips nightly.. the only difference being the card tips were taxed, no way not to report them.
Yeah this is how it works for me. But I know some places where you have to wait for your check to get your tips. I wouldn't work for tips in those places. 

Currently have nearly 600 on me. A good portion of that will get deposited tomorrow but I'll hang on to a couple hundred.

Users who are viewing this thread