What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Convention Thread for forum Republicans (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
The other thread is obviously intended to take shots at the convention.  This thread will be more about actually discussing the convention without the forum liberals' condescension and snark.

I suspect the television ratings will be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thread is obviously intended to take shots at the convention.  This thread will be more about actually discussing the convention without the forum liberals condescension and snark.

I suspect the television ratings will be great.
I'll be watching, as if I were a fly.

The RNC announces there will be no GOP platform for the convention — just support for Trump’s second-term agenda, whatever that is.

RNC Non Platform for 2020

Rs: We stand for Trump!

America: What policies do you stand for though?

Rs: Donald Trump!

Authoritarian winning! 
“RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.”

I’m legitimately interested to hear the reactions of forum Republicans to this decision not to adopt a platform and to prevent anyone in the party from attempting to do so. 

Good to see more safe spaces being erected for those supporting Trump.

I suspect the theater involved with the GOP convention will draw massive viewership and many people will be talking about it.  

• Thanks
Reactions: rct
Geez people.  Let them have their own place.  Maybe read and learn why they like Trump.  Plenty of other threads to bash all the stuff Trump and Rs do.  J was right that the majority here has made it hostile for the minority.

Geez people.  Let them have their own place.  Maybe read and learn why they like Trump.  Plenty of other threads to bash all the stuff Trump and Rs do.  J was right that the majority here has made it hostile for the minority.
My post is 100% an honest question. I am legitimately interested in the thoughts of forum Republicans on the decision of the RNC to forego a platform. No hostility intended whatsoever. 

Never seen supporters of a political candidate be treated more like children than with Trump.  Eight years of Obama on this forum, with endless sniping, griping, attacking, disagreeing, and it never even entered my mind to request a topic that only Obama supporters are allowed.

Folks should be excellent to each other in every topic, and if they're not that's a problem.  But in a public forum, which is great for exchanging ideas, having ideas challenged, representing ones views, the idea that we should just go to our corners because we can't handle disagreement smacks of everything wrong with our political discourse at the current moment. 

And instead of folks challenging it, we have folks patting these guys on the head and saying "That's OK you Trump supporters.  You just take your sensitive feelings and go into this protected thread and Mom and Dad will make sure no big baddies with other views come in here to bother you.  They need to come in here and ask you respectfully how you feel about things and not challenge you because there are other places to do that.  You rest in here my lovelies, where your ideas are safe from challenge, where your feels are all protected, and the meanies stay away.  You're safe in here and you can run this topic like a little boy's fort and run out folks who challenge prevailing wisdom and say 'You don't belong here...go to some other fort, there are many others where you're welcome...not this one!'"  

Guys, we're adults.  We can handle differences of opinion without having to set up safe spaces or safe threads.  This is silly.  

Never seen supporters of a political candidate be treated more like children than with Trump.  Eight years of Obama on this forum, with endless sniping, griping, attacking, disagreeing, and it never even entered my mind to request a topic that only Obama supporters are allowed.

Folks should be excellent to each other in every topic, and if they're not that's a problem.  But in a public forum, which is great for exchanging ideas, having ideas challenged, representing ones views, the idea that we should just go to our corners because we can't handle disagreement smacks of everything wrong with our political discourse at the current moment. 

And instead of folks challenging it, we have folks patting these guys on the head and saying "That's OK you Trump supporters.  You just take your sensitive feelings and go into this protected thread and Mom and Dad will make sure no big baddies with other views come in here to bother you.  They need to come in here and ask you respectfully how you feel about things and not challenge you because there are other places to do that.  You rest in here my lovelies, where your ideas are safe from challenge, where your feels are all protected, and the meanies stay away.  You're safe in here and you can run this topic like a little boy's fort and run out folks who challenge prevailing wisdom and say 'You don't belong here...go to some other fort, there are many others where you're welcome...not this one!'"  

Guys, we're adults.  We can handle differences of opinion without having to set up safe spaces or safe threads.  This is silly.  
I've never seen supporters of a candidate attacked so hatefully around here.  Obama isn't a fair comparison as 75% of the board supported him.  Heck, in these parts you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama in 2112 even if you voted for him the first time.  In a country where 40% of the people are trump supporters, less than 5% of this board is.  I mean if the goal is to drive off the remaining 5% and have 100% consensus around here, then I guess have at it.  People aren't excellent to the Trump supporters and it's by such a huge margin the mods have thrown in the towel.  All the OP did was ask for a place for Rs to discuss the convention without the 95% not voting Trump over running the thread.

I've never seen supporters of a candidate attacked so hatefully around here.  Obama isn't a fair comparison as 75% of the board supported him.  Heck, in these parts you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama in 2112 even if you voted for him the first time.  In a country where 40% of the people are trump supporters, less than 5% of this board is.  I mean if the goal is to drive off the remaining 5% and have 100% consensus around here, then I guess have at it.  People aren't excellent to the Trump supporters and it's by such a huge margin the mods have thrown in the towel.  All the OP did was ask for a place for Rs to discuss the convention without the 95% not voting Trump over running the thread.
Understood.  I just disagree that this kinda stuff is needed or should be encouraged/defended.  Regardless I should take my comments to another topic or create one as it’s off topic here.  I’ll take my thoughts elsewhere (or maybe nowhere).

And to reiterate, no supporter of any candidate should be treated hatefully or non-excellently.  That has been a problem I’ve seen too, but to me the solution isn’t dedicated threads for supporters but rather better behavior from other adults posting here.  But again, I digress from topic.  I’ll see myself out.

Sorry.  But one group who cannot defend their own opinions complain about an echo chamber ...then demands they get threads where nobody else posts (and they are just as hostile, if not more so, than those are ho oppose them).

Seems some want separate rules for Trump supporters.

And especially laughable given the amount of trolling  done in the Democratic  convention thread.

If people are respectful and not trolling...who cares what side they are before they enter a freaking topic.

• Thanks
Are the supporters on board with the lack of platform other than “support the president?” I don’t think I’d be comfortable with that regardless of who is president. What about the stated goals- create 10 million jobs, push out a vaccine in 2020, hold China accountable, terrorists are bad- I hope they expound on those ideas and tell us how they plan to do that. Unfortunately I think we will get a lot of “America will burn, Democrats just want to seize power and take away freedom, taxes raised and stocks drop” rhetoric and very little substance of what the plan is. Hope I’m wrong,

Why do you think anti-Trump sentiment is so ubiquitous here? Would we have better discussion if 40% of the board were Trump supporters?

To be fair, there's a lot of peeing in the pool of the DNC Convention thread by people not voting for Biden or the Democrats.  

This feels like a repeat of the Trump HQ thread. So far there's one post from a Trump supporter. Trump HQ was some sort of teachable lesson... or something. - eta - Or what TLips just said.

• Smile
Looking forward to discussing the convention this year with my fellow Republicans!

I'm really interested to see how this plays out with a non-traditional lineup of speakers...could be more political genius from the POTUS.

• Laughing
Looking forward to discussing the convention this year with my fellow Republicans!

I'm really interested to see how this plays out with a non-traditional lineup of speakers...could be more political genius from the POTUS.
In what was is that list of speakers a positive?

In what was is that list of speakers a positive?
Many of the speakers are non-celebrity/career politician types.  I think that was huge miss with the Democratic party and their convention who continue to not understand the American working middle class which has disdain for celebrities and career politicians.

• Laughing
Many of the speakers are non-celebrity/career politician types.  I think that was huge miss with the Democratic party whom continue to not understand the American working middle class which has disdain for celebrities and career politicians.
Many of the speakers are his family...in what way is that a positive?

Are career con artists better?  Also working middle class...lining up families and millionaires as Trump has is relatable to the working middle class?

Id say the Dem lineup looked more more affable to actual working middle class than a bunch of Trumps, Rudy, and big donors.

• Smile
Yours was a fair question and very tactful
Agreed. Questions like @bigbottom are helpful for good discussion. Shots like @adonis mocking safe spaces and "children" are the opposite and one reason why the forum isn't nearly as good as it could be if things actually were discussed. It's also why most Trump supporters won't waste their time.

Which results in a forum that is way more insulated from different viewpoints. When people talk about the bubble, that's what they're talking about. 

I also get it that it's more comfortable that way. I just don't think it's a very good way to be. 

“RESOLVED, That any motion to amend the 2016 Platform or to adopt a new platform, including any motion to suspend the procedures that will allow doing so, will be ruled out of order.”

I’m legitimately interested to hear the reactions of forum Republicans to this decision not to adopt a platform and to prevent anyone in the party from attempting to do so. 
I agree that seems odd. 

Is it a thing where they're trying to say just no changes to the 2016 platform?

One way to look at it.

When you get lemons, make lemonade.

Agreed. Questions like @bigbottom are helpful for good discussion. Shots like @adonis mocking safe spaces and "children" are the opposite and one reason why the forum isn't nearly as good as it could be if things actually were discussed. It's also why most Trump supporters won't waste their time.

Which results in a forum that is way more insulated from different viewpoints. When people talk about the bubble, that's what they're talking about. 

I also get it that it's more comfortable that way. I just don't think it's a very good way to be. 
Adonis wasn't taking shots and mocking safe spaces. He was stating facts.

Thanks. I guess that makes sense. 
I don’t think that’s the case. Or at least the document doesn’t make clear that that is the case.

Edit:  actually, upon further review, that may very well be the case since they appear to attach the 2016 platform. 

These are some snips from the 2016 GOP platform.

- I don't think the GOP is carrying the platform forward as they claim. The real reason they likely don't have a platform is that Trump wouldn't let the party plan for a virtual convention. So since the platform is usually developed at the convention and pre-convention it never happened. They didn't even finish the speaking schedule until late Saturday.

Also Trump is the party now. Platform positions like the above and in almost every other recent GOP platform are no longer viable or relevant.

No. He was taking shots and mocking safe spaces. More to the point, he was showing exactly the kind of stuff I wish we had way less of here. 
I one hundred percent get you Joe and I really appreciate what you’re trying to do here, I sincerely do. But I’ve yet to find a forum that has been able to do that. I’m happy to be proven wrong but I would argue that the Trump HQ thread here is the closest thing I’ve come to seeing it, as sad as that is. Other political threads virtually everywhere else I’ve seen are absolute #### shows.  “Safe places” for opposing viewpoints just don’t exist

No. He was taking shots and mocking safe spaces. More to the point, he was showing exactly the kind of stuff I wish we had way less of here. 
Ok, we disagree.

Here's what I see. I see more attempts at having fair and cordial discussions from those who oppose DJT (in various threads.) I see very little to minimal efforts to do the same by those who support him. Mostly I see stupid emojis and complaining about echo chambers and crying about not having safe spaces by those same supporters of DJT.

I'll see myself out. I'm not interested in ruining their safe space. Carry on.

I don’t think that’s the case. Or at least the document doesn’t make clear that that is the case.

Edit:  actually, upon further review, that may very well be the case since they appear to attach the 2016 platform. 
Eh I think they said the 2016 platform will not be amended, it doesn't say it's still in effect for this campaign.

RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda;

RESOVLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;
That's also sic, they misspelled "resolved." In a one page press release.

I know what you are saying and I know that as the business owner and good dude in general that you want people to be better.

As an aside I would just say that it is crazy to me that we don’t hold the president to the standards that you have here. His tweets would get people banned. He espouses conspiracy theory stuff. Blatantly lies, etc. 

Anyways a thread where people want obvious trolling and one liners out, ok (I guess it would be cool if the same were granted for other threads). 

However when something is simply incorrect or people want to question a point made seems like that can be done in any thread.

Just my  :2cents:

I one hundred percent get you Joe and I really appreciate what you’re trying to do here, I sincerely do. But I’ve yet to find a forum that has been able to do that. I’m happy to be proven wrong but I would argue that the Trump HQ thread here is the closest thing I’ve come to seeing it, as sad as that is. Other political threads virtually everywhere else I’ve seen are absolute #### shows.  “Safe places” for opposing viewpoints just don’t exist
Thank you.  I'm probably just hopelessly optimistic @dkp993  

I'm taking shots at the idea that Trump supporters need to be coddled any more than any other group.  They don't.  That was my point.

Trump supporters in general, the vast majority of them, are supporters not based on policy but based on personality.  They enjoy it.  That doesn't make for very good intellectual exchanges on a forum.  

Other conservatives tolerate him to varying degrees, accepting the good outcomes that come from his actions, and ducking accountability to explain the bad stuff (see Congress).

It's not the fault of the anti-Trumpers that there are so few Trump supporters on the forum who want to engage on these issues.  It's a byproduct of what being a Trump supporter (versus a Trump tolerator) means.  Most good folks I know who are conservatives tolerate Trump to varying degrees, and don't have any desire to defend him, his comments, or his actions.  But they like the judges and other conservative stuff that comes out.  They'd never engage in a political form where defending him is a part of it because they want no part of it.  So that leaves largely the population of Trump supporters out there who enjoy the antics, enjoy the reactions, and have no desire to engage in discussions or arguments on the merits because that's not what it's about to them.

Break up the population of America into percentages, and you'll find an incredibly low % of people who both support Trump, and are willing to go to bat for him on what he says, tweets, or does or even specifically on his policies.  Take from that the folks who are paid to do it, and the % is minuscule.  It's not all about the mean anti-Trump people

However when something is simply incorrect or people want to question a point made seems like that can be done in any thread.

Just my  :2cents:
For sure. That's what I'm saying I want more of.

I want way less of the "Good to see more safe spaces being erected for those supporting Trump." and saying we baby them "like children". 

Sorry.  But one group who cannot defend their own opinions complain about an echo chamber ...then demands they get threads where nobody else posts (and they are just as hostile, if not more so, than those are ho oppose them).

Seems some want separate rules for Trump supporters.

And especially laughable given the amount of trolling  done in the Democratic  convention thread.

If people are respectful and not trolling...who cares what side they are before they enter a freaking topic.
Yawwwwn. 

• Sad
Many of the speakers are non-celebrity/career politician types.  I think that was huge miss with the Democratic party and their convention who continue to not understand the American working middle class which has disdain for celebrities and career politicians.
He’s trolling as usual. 

• Laughing
Im not much of a convention guy and I honestly don't understand the point.  Won't be watching. didn't watch 5 seconds of the DNC one either.  I guess I can find far better entertainment elsewhere..Because that to me is ALL these are supposed to be, entertainment.  Not like you will learn anything.

Users who are viewing this thread