What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Convention Thread for forum Republicans (1 Viewer)

I’d say appealing to moderates.

Respected conservatives (not cousins and other relatives of Biden) speaking on his behalf.
This. I'd agree Haley and Scott did a good job selling a brighter America and how it needs a vibrant conservative party without tying themselves too much to Trump (especially Scott) but I wouldn't say the DNC was a failure

Even taking my homer goggles off it was rather boring but avoided going too much into policy and pandering to the radicals with defund the police, abolish ICE, etc and kept an eye on Biden's winning points: good, steady leadership in the face of a pandemic and respect/normalcy at home and abroad. Boring sure but Biden is ahead: boring is fine for him

Haley and Scott were really the only RNC speakers I had a ton of interest in seeing coming in--though I'd say Herschel Walker exceeded my expectations

Maybe I'll tune in for Ernst tomorrow or someone else surprises

The one RNC I went to was 2012 with respected governors, Congressmen, Senators, diplomats, etc like Christie (before he stopped rising), Rubio, Jeb, Ted Cruz, Condollezza Rice, Kelly Ayotte, John Thune, Kasich, Rand Paul, Susana Martinez, Haley, Scott Walker, Brian Sandoval, Tim Scott, Santorum, etc that showcased the party's geographic and racial diversity and the conservative, moderate and libertarian factions that now are smothered by the MAGA populists if they step out of line, and a ticket in Romney-Ryan that I could proudly say represented my values

From that to a convention with 40% of the speaking slots being Trump family members is certainly disappointing--to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the New York Times admitted Bush won Florida in 2000. This is a tired argument
I was referring to felon disenfranchisement in Florida. If more felons had their voting rights restored for the 2000 presidential election, Gore might've beaten Bush, and half a million deaths prevented. 

I was referring to felon disenfranchisement in Florida. If more felons had their voting rights restored for the 2000 presidential election, Gore might've beaten Bush, and half a million deaths prevented. 
In 2000 felon enfranchisement wasn't even a political issue. Even mainstream Democrats weren't for it

Gore had an easy win if he didn't go over the top on environmental extremism (he was pretty moderate except for that) and lose West Virginia---a state that had voted Republican like twice in the past 70 years before 2000, or if Clinton didn't press the removal of Elian Gonzalez and drive up Cuban turnout/anger at Democrats (even more than usual)

I thought it was a great first night, objectively.
Walker and Scott were very effective, as were the sit-downs with Trump. Dan and Kim were rightly mocked on social media. Scott was better than Haley, as a public speaker who connected, IMO, even though she has the credentials. 

Walker and Scott were very effective, as were the sit-downs with Trump. Dan and Kim were rightly mocked on social media. Scott was better than Haley, as a public speaker who connected, IMO, even though she has the credentials. 
That is a good way to put it: Scott had the intangibles and content. Haley had the content for sure and did really well all things considered but could have been more personable--I have seen it from her before and she has the ability (folksy southern accent/charm, pretty, articulate, intelligent, etc)

Kim sounded like wannabe fascist (and I don't throw that word around like candy like some Trump critics). She shouldn't have been allowed on the stage

EDIT: I'd say Maximo Alvarez was pretty good. Don Jr was pretty cringy. Hope to god he doesn't run in 2024

Her one mistake imo was being too active and not laying low after resigning as UN Ambassador. If she loses it'd be due to that time and Democrats using it to tie her to Trump.
Double-edged sword, though.  Difficult to stay relevant if you're laying low, especially for a politician with no official position.

Granted, Biden pulled it off, as did Nixon in '68, but it's somewhat unusual.

Got to admit about Haley though...lost a bit of respect for her last night when I found out that that's not her real name.  Don't be ashamed of your heritage, Nimrata. 

One of my interns, posted a tweet about Nikki Hailey that was untrue. He didn't know of her ancestry. It was brought to my attention so I took it down immediately. My inlaws know Nikki parents, my husband's Indian. Sorry to disappoint the haters time to move on folks. Ciao!
Is that a real tweet? So she posts something untrue. Blames it on an intern. Takes it down with no apology. And takes a shot that somehow this is disappointing "the haters"? 

Is that a real tweet? So she posts something untrue. Blames it on an intern. Takes it down with no apology. And takes a shot that somehow this is disappointing "the haters"? 
I find the way she casually blames the intern odd...do you always allow other people to tweet from your account?  If not how did this happen?  I would think if this was done without her consent the intern would be fired right away...kind of reminds when pro athletes got caught with dope years ago and they would blame it on a cousin or uncle borrowing their gym bag.

All is well, folks because remember Republican women don’t count. You can smear them, call them sexist names, and hurl other obscenities at them. It’s fine. They’re not really women. So, as a liberal, you can certainly engage in total idiocy, like saying that an Indian woman is a white person. 
This is a Fox commentator. Perhaps Fox should do something about this.

Boston said:
Obviously this is anecdotal, but me and a few of my friends were kind of riveted last night. The only part of the Dem conference I watched was Biden speech.  But I watched most of last night. And I think I'll watch again tonight (switching between that and NBA).

There is a 0% chance that me or the friends I mentioned are voting for Trump.

Obviously this is anecdotal, but me and a few of my friends were kind of riveted last night. The only part of the Dem conference I watched was Biden speech.  But I watched most of last night. And I think I'll watch again tonight (switching between that and NBA).

There is a 0% chance that me or the friends I mentioned are voting for Trump.
Same.

So who do we have in the lineup tonight?

Can we bring Maximo back for a curtain call!!  Dude was money in the bank.

• Sad
Reactions: rct
Any word on Nielsen ratings for last night? I expect the RNC to surpass the DNC by a bit, considering the high concentration of viewers already accustomed to watching Fox News.

Thunderlips said:
Got to admit about Haley though...lost a bit of respect for her last night when I found out that that's not her real name.  Don't be ashamed of your heritage, Nimrata. 
I feel like using your middle name is a southern thing, I new a few people born in the south that do it. :shrug:

Joe Bryant said:
I’ve been advised we aren’t supposed to take Tweets seriously.

Any word on Nielsen ratings for last night? I expect the RNC to surpass the DNC by a bit, considering the high concentration of viewers already accustomed to watching Fox News.
The first night of the Republican National Convention was down in total viewership on both the 2016 edition, and the opening night of this year’s Democratic National Convention.

In total, just under 16 million people tuned in for night 1 of the RNC across the cable news and broadcast networks. That represents a 29% dip from the  opening night four years ago, which drew around 22.5 million pairs of eyeballs. For comparison, the first night of last week’s DNC drew 18.7 million viewers (which was itself down 27% from 2016).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/tv/news/republican-national-convention-night-one-ratings-1234747923/amp/

WOW....Joe Biden's acceptance speech (only 24 minutes long....2nd shortest to Mondale in 1984) was viewed by 21.8 MILLION people!!

....that's 21% lower than the number who watched Hillary' s acceptance speech.
....40% lower than the number who watched President Trumps acceptance speech at the RNC in 2016...
....37 million watched President Trump's SOTU Address.
(and people weren't in shut-down mode...they could actually go somewhere else!)

The enthusiasm for Biden is palpable.   :coffee:
So Opie, still think this is a Biden enthusiasm issue?  Or maybe it’s just the 2 party fear mongering fatigue....

The first night of the Republican National Convention was down in total viewership on both the 2016 edition, and the opening night of this year’s Democratic National Convention.

In total, just under 16 million people tuned in for night 1 of the RNC across the cable news and broadcast networks. That represents a 29% dip from the  opening night four years ago, which drew around 22.5 million pairs of eyeballs. For comparison, the first night of last week’s DNC drew 18.7 million viewers (which was itself down 27% from 2016).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/tv/news/republican-national-convention-night-one-ratings-1234747923/amp/

Melania, Pompeo, Eric and Tiffany Trump.  

ETA:  And Nick Sandmann!
From Jerusalem. Its fun how we just don't give a #### about laws anymore.
Last month Pompeo issued a memo prohibiting State Department employees from engaging in "any partisan political activity"

This will be the first time in the history of the United States that an active Secretary Of State has given a political speech at a party convention.

Users who are viewing this thread