What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports Teams Refusing To Play Games Out Of Protest ***Update: NBA Playoffs Look To Be Back On (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
The Dodgers/Giants game has been postponed tonight in protest of civil rights issues surrounding police brutality.

What do you think? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dodgers/Giants game has been postponed tonight in protest of civil rights issues surrounding police brutality.

What do you think? 
My guess is no MLB games are played tomorrow and no MLB/NBA games are played again until the owners fork over a bunch of money to BLM.  

What do you think? 
Postpone the season. 

The interest for all parties to keep playing is just not there anyway. Fans are not into it, players don`t seem to be into it.  COVID has knocked sports down in terms of life's relevance right now.  

They get to do what they want to do.

It's all ESPN and sports programming will talk about for the next few days. That's their goal.

They get to do what they want to do.

It's all ESPN and sports programming will talk about for the next few days. That's their goal.
Shula-holic says that the Lakers and Clippers will forego the rest of the season. This is seismic, regardless of how one feels about it. 

I support this more than I support kneeling for our anthem.  Good on them if they don't want to play....will let them and the owners sort out the contracts.

Shula-holic says that the Lakers and Clippers will forego the rest of the season. This is seismic, regardless of how one feels about it. 
The NBA insider guy on ESPN was saying it was trending to players leaving without finishing the season.

This could snowball really fast.

What do you think? 
It's interesting, I'm not sure which team of the Dodgers/Giants led to the postponement, it could have been both.  The word was it was the Mariners who got the Padres/Mariners game postponed and the Brewers that did so for the Brewers/Reds.  MLB has scheduled tomorrow for the MIL/CIN makeup.  I'd like to think they talked to the team first, but with MLB who knows.

The NBA insider guy on ESPN was saying it was trending to players leaving without finishing the season.

This could snowball really fast.
Personally I can't see this continuing without the Lakers and Clippers.  We don't know the internal votes of teams, but given that the Bucks were the first to walk today, it's hard to imagine they would play now if the other teams took this stance.

So NBA teams take a hard stance against the shooting of a deadly threat, who has admitted to having a knife and has a well-known rap sheet, but decide to stay silent when it comes to China or black children getting shot/murdered in Chicago at near record levels?

Is there no middle ground here?

So NBA teams take a hard stance against the shooting of a deadly threat, who as has admitted to having a knife and has a well-known rap sheet, but decide to stay silent when it comes to China or black children getting shot/murdered in Chicago at near record levels?

Outrage is often proportional to a person's connection to a perceived injustice. NBA players are more outraged by the Jacob Blake shooting because many of them have experienced racial profiling by the police. They are not as outraged by China because few of them have personally been affected by anything evil perpetrated by that country.

Outrage is often proportional to a person's connection to a perceived injustice. NBA players are more outraged by the Jacob Blake shooting because many of them have experienced racial profiling by the police. They are not as outraged by China because few of them have personally been affected by anything evil perpetrated by that country.
I guess I can buy that argument.

This is a very good point, though I would argue that the ability to speak out against and see transgressions against those outside of our in-groups is a sign of a civilized mind, one capable of abstractions.

Personally I can't see this continuing without the Lakers and Clippers.  We don't know the internal votes of teams, but given that the Bucks were the first to walk today, it's hard to imagine they would play now if the other teams took this stance.
Oh for sure. However, if even one team drops out that kills it the season. Lebron honestly is probably the key. He has the most influence by far.

The dude I was listening to on either ESPN or FOX Sports was saying that he didn’t think they would play til the weekend at the earliest and was putting it at 50/50 they kill the season.

Said this is moving at super quick speed tho and could change this weekend if things cool down.

That there was a big dislike among the players for the Bubble was definitely a factor he was saying. 

Despite what atrocities are happening elsewhere in the world (Lebanon, Belarus, Venezuela, etc), this movement in the US is important and needs resolution.

For over 150 years since emancipation, we have struggled to coexist in a truly equal way.  The generations of overt racists are dying off and for the first time, systemic racism is being addressed.  It may seem calloused,  but I am less concerned with the police shootings than I am with discrepancies in poverty, employment, land ownership, fatherlessness and incarceration rates.  Take care of those root issues and police shootings take care of themselves.  Everyone is upset about the leaves that fall from the tree when it is the roots that are rotten.

I think the China issues is maybe a a bit out of most American athletes league as it’s quite complicated. I don’t think I’m educated enough on that subject to speak to the media on it. As for poor inner city kids, I’m sure many many athletes spend a ton of time and money in those communities trying to improve them. The police situation is a pressing issue that impacts their community and is outside of their control. They can spend money and start programs to get kids out of poverty or provide safe after school activities but they can’t spend money to make police act differently. It makes all the sense in the world that this is the issue they walkout on. 

All people respond stronger to an issue that is personal for them. It’s why Arab Americans have stronger takes on Palestine or gun enthusiasts are sensitive to gun control laws or artists take funding for public art museums more seriously. 

So NBA teams take a hard stance against the shooting of a deadly threat, who has admitted to having a knife and has a well-known rap sheet, but decide to stay silent when it comes to China or black children getting shot/murdered in Chicago at near record levels?

Yup.  

Can't pass on the Chinese Yaun or Chinese kids wearing their sneakers.

Oh for sure. However, if even one team drops out that kills it the season. Lebron honestly is probably the key. He has the most influence by far.

The dude I was listening to on either ESPN or FOX Sports was saying that he didn’t think they would play til the weekend at the earliest and was putting it at 50/50 they kill the season.

Said this is moving at super quick speed tho and could change this weekend if things cool down.

That there was a big dislike among the players for the Bubble was definitely a factor he was saying. 
Well they've earned themselves at least another day in the bubble.

Sports teams should band together to bring about change.  Say the brewers, bucks and packers said no games unless police reform is implemented.  Leverage their impact on local economy.

Meh. They know right from wrong.  Just like they expect white people to be rightfully outraged against killing innocent black people they should be outraged by the situation in China.  But money 

I think they are way overplaying their hands here. We have tens of millions of Americans out of work and many facing evictions. We have a pandemic killing a thousand people a day. Natural disasters from coast to coast and a hotly contested election coming, but yeah, Bron took his ball and went home and people will be crushed?? 

Sorry, it will be a news story for a week and then people will go on to the “new” thing to be outraged about.

I think they are way overplaying their hands here. We have tens of millions of Americans out of work and many facing evictions. We have a pandemic killing a thousand people a day. Natural disasters from coast to coast and a hotly contested election coming, but yeah, Bron took his ball and went home and people will be crushed?? 

Sorry, it will be a news story for a week and then people will go on to the “new” thing to be outraged about.
Refresh my memory.  Are you a Trump supporter?

It’s not about Bron taking his ball and going home, it’s the reason Bron is taking his ball and going home. 

Sports teams should band together to bring about change.  Say the brewers, bucks and packers said no games unless police reform is implemented.  Leverage their impact on local economy.
Yeah...those fans not showing up on game day will impact the local economy.  Oh...they weren't going to be able to show up anyway because of the pandemic.

Not an either or situation?  

And, "deadly"?  Reach. 

Not an either or situation?  

And, "deadly"?  Reach. 
yes. By use of force policy, it is considered justified. The officers already attempted to subdue Blake by non-lethal means (wrestling with him, tasering him), which failed. He had a knife and refused to drop it, which would consider him a deadly and immediate threat. I think it can be reasonably argued that the officer feared for his life as Blake, who had a knife, then reached into a car after disobeying verbal commands.

Wow.  No wonder this is a problem that America can't solve.  Just, wow.  
Spare me the dramatics.  What do you think the answer to the question is?  Lebron has a big enough platform that he doesn’t need to boycott nba games because he’s angry at the police or government.  

Meh. They know right from wrong.  Just like they expect white people to be rightfully outraged against killing innocent black people they should be outraged by the situation in China.  But money 
You are saying that you hold every cause at equal importance and are outraged equally by every injustice? 

Hopefully, these boycotts can do some good...when the owners and $$$ start being affected at the top and from the networks is when change hopefully can happen.

Also...Im over the...why are you guys protesting this but not China...same as people can't be concerned with Covid and also Child Sex Trafficking.  Its not one or the other...and obviously different issues and causes and things are going to affect each person differently.  The notion that we shouldn't listen to people on one issue unless they speak out on another is ridiculous IMO.  (none of which is defending the other issues).

Hopefully, these boycotts can do some good...when the owners and $$$ start being affected at the top and from the networks is when change hopefully can happen.

Also...Im over the...why are you guys protesting this but not China...same as people can't be concerned with Covid and also Child Sex Trafficking.  Its not one or the other...and obviously different issues and causes and things are going to affect each person differently.  The notion that we shouldn't listen to people on one issue unless they speak out on another is ridiculous IMO.  (none of which is defending the other issues).
It wasn't that they didn't speak out, they spoke out to silence those in spoke of human rights.

Looks like you need to spend a few minutes educating yourself on the China issue

Yeah, I'm normally a big critic of "How can you get all worked up over X yet say nothing about this completely separate issue Y?"  That's a deflector that lazy people use to win arguments on the internet.  But in this case, it isn't that the NBA simply overlooked or deprioritized human rights in China.  The league actively took the side of the Chinese government and actively worked to silence people on the pro-human rights side.  To put it in BLM-adjacent terms, it would be as if the league had put out a statement praising George Zimmerman.  

Users who are viewing this thread