What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I’ve decided to go vegetarian (1 Viewer)

Mostly because of health reasons and I am overweight. Any other vegetarians out ther?
Congratulations!

I'm mostly vegan, but still looking for good vegan pizza. 

Per this review article,  a plant-based diet is good for your health.  It helps if someone else in your family is also vegetarian, so you can cook together, share recipes, shop together and go out to eat together. 

Losing weight is all about calories as proven by this nutrition professor who lost 27 pounds on a Twinkie diet.

Mostly because of health reasons and I am overweight. Any other vegetarians out ther?
I don't consider myself vegan or vegetarian but I pretty much eat a plant-based diet 95% of the time. I also do it for my health to try to stay off meds if at all possible. I've been fairly thin/athletic all my life but I got them cholesterol genes and getting older doesn't help. 

if you dont cook, dont bother. it wont take.

youll eat microwaveable meat substitutes, devolve into junk food, quit worse off than you started.

on the other hand, if you learn to bloom spices in oil, add your onion/garlic/ginger/tomato to your pan and create enough of a flavor base that potatoes & lentils can taste as good as burger & fries, g'ahead. it's the way we'll all be eating in another gen or two

Eat some fish here but otherwise vegetarian. I never found it difficult being a vegetarian but there sure are waaaayyyyy more options now. 

As others have said, it isn't necessarily a route to eating healthy, but it certainly can be. Get good at cooking at home is probably the best way to make sure you are eating healthily

We eat dairy occasionally but have otherwise been vegan for over three years now. Between diet and exercise I’m down 75lbs from my high. 

Agree with everyone that says cooking is your friend and to avoid meat substitutes. 

Good on ya man. I like Wikkid’s comment and probably want to give that a try. I’m good with spices and could get creative.  I find that many vegetarians, like my Mom, go completely haywire with carbs, starch, bread, sweets. Packed the pounds on. So it’s no magic bullet. And also agree that meat replacements are pure sodium bombs. My blood pressure skyrockets eating a Beyond burger. No more. And I sorta liked the taste and texture. Thought I was on to something. But can’t eat em. Good luck 

Good on ya man. I like Wikkid’s comment and probably want to give that a try. I’m good with spices and could get creative.  I find that many vegetarians, like my Mom, go completely haywire with carbs, starch, bread, sweets. Packed the pounds on. So it’s no magic bullet. And also agree that meat replacements are pure sodium bombs. My blood pressure skyrockets eating a Beyond burger. No more. And I sorta liked the taste and texture. Thought I was on to something. But can’t eat em. Good luck 
If i wasnt an old man - and cooking for an even older one - i'd really be embracing world food, especially South Asian. Curries make soooo many simple and nutritious things like legumes & nuts & greens delicious enough to ween one off the gravy train in the name of health and sustainability.

I'll offer one word of caution that others have mentioned, if your primary goal is to lose weight I'm not sure going full vegetarian is the best option.  Of course up to you, but going vegetarian will not necessarily lead to weight loss. Enjoying meals is an important part of a healthy diet. Now as previous poster mentioned if you (or your SO) is a good cook it could work but otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure IMO.  I'd consider incorporating fish and lean chicken into the diet, and focus on healthy meals, avoid unhealthy ingredients, white flour, sugar, sodium, etc. Again that is based on you saying your primary motivation is weight loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
I remember watching my vegetarian friend peek around to see if anybody was looking and when he was in the clear, he poured bacon fat on his eggs. He thought he was so sly. I just laughed. He shrugged. Still friends to this day because of #### like that.
My wife gave up eating mammal in her teens...but very occasionally has regular bacon when we eat out. I joined her in that when our oldest was born 13 years ago...we eat fish and fowl. But I also very occasionally have pork, because I like it- this is my choice of diet, and I genuinely feel no sense of obligation to anybody but myself.

I guess for the op I'd say- best of luck! Find the right balance and it will work.

Other than an unhealthy love of ice cream, I've been able to maintain a steady weight and heslth as much because of how I eat (small-normal balanced portions, no fast food, no unhealthy snacks- fruit and nuts instead...again, all of which I enjoy eating) and not necessarily because of my fish/fowl choice.

Been pescatarian for nearly 15 years, but pretty close to vegetarian most days. Transitioning to plant-based diet was never difficult, but it’s getting easier by the day as more meat-free options become available. About the only way to make vegetarianism unhealthy is to include too much dairy and processed foods, but overall there’s far more evidence in favor of plant-based diets than the alternatives. 

And demonizing carbohydrates is misguided, as just about any plant-based diet will include plenty of carbohydrates, too.

My wife gave up eating mammal in her teens...but very occasionally has regular bacon when we eat out. I joined her in that when our oldest was born 13 years ago...we eat fish and fowl. But I also very occasionally have pork, because I like it- this is my choice of diet, and I genuinely feel no sense of obligation to anybody but myself.
This is similar to how I feel and why I said I was a vegetarian who cheats up thread. My wife is vegan and we make all our meals at home during the week. A lot of bean based meals, a lot of curries and in terms of flavour, I don't really miss most meat I was eating before. A piece of boneless chicken has little appeal to me now, same for pork chops or even a steak... 

We also enjoy cooking and playing around with spices and flavours. Learning to cook and season lentils, mushrooms, beans and the like goes a long way and is a good alternative to beyond burgers etc... as meat replacement. 

But once every few months I'll have a good homemade hamburger, or I'll have some chicken wings or pulled pork at the pub, or turkey at Christmas. And I don't feel guilty, I look at it as a spectrum and I'm way on the spectrum closer to being vegetarian but like in most things, I don't need to go to the full extreme. I've cut down my meat intake drastically and if everyone did the same, even to a much lesser extent than I did, it could have a huge impact and we could maybe get back to real sustainable farming not factory farm atrocities... 

Anyway, we have a vegetarian recipe thread here: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/782093-vegetarian-recipes-and-discussion-thread/?tab=comments#comment-22319876 it has some great stuff in there. 

wazoo11 said:
Mostly because of health reasons and I am overweight. 
For health reasons, maybe. For weight, Id say no. My weight has fluctuated in a 15lb window for the past 20+ years. When my weight it up, its because Im eating too much sugar and processed (non-meat) junk. When I want to lose a bunch of weight quickly, I switch to eating mostly lean meat instead.

For health reasons, maybe. For weight, Id say no. My weight has fluctuated in a 15lb window for the past 20+ years. When my weight it up, its because Im eating too much sugar and processed (non-meat) junk. When I want to lose a bunch of weight quickly, I switch to eating mostly lean meat instead.
Meh. Junk food is bad whatever diet you choose. And losing weight quickly is rarely healthy, or sustainable.

sometimes i feel like Jamie Oliver's agent - i spent last year pimping this celebrity chef's Quick & Easy Meals show on PBS as one of the best cooking shows ever and now he has a followup w the same production company called Ultimate Veg and, even tho there's still a lot of the 5yo who hated veggies in me, every recipe i've seen from it so far has  me gob watering. Only Jacques Pepin, among TV chefs, has made dishes w ingreds i hate that i still wanna eat. this latest show may be just the kickoff a veg-curious type might need.

Been a vegetarian for 11 years.  You definitely feel lighter in terms of not having meat sit in your gut.  My problem can be I eat way too many carbs but I did that when I ate meat anyway.  Overall you realize you don’t miss the taste of meat, so much of what you taste are the condiments and spices.  Good luck!

My wife went full vegan 2-3 years ago and while she's never once put pressure on me to do the same, I suddenly decided that in the interest of aligning dietary interests (mostly in deciding everybody's favorite question - "What do you want to do for dinner??") I should give vegetarianism a go. I plan on keeping fish and cheese and won't punish myself for cheating here and there, but 1 week in and I'm fully content dining on vegetarian fare for dinner.

I committed to doing this until she and the kids go visit her family Aug 11, but I think if I can make it that long, what's the hurry to run back to meat in my diet? My cholesterol isn't great, digestion has never been stellar and I could stand to lose a pound or 20. I've had some fun looking up new recipes and I think my wife is rather relieved to just have ONE main dinner idea that works for all of us vs. having to cook some chicken or meat on the side and incorporate it into the family dinner. Rowing the boat the same direction, so to speak.

Anyhow, let's see where this takes me.

My wife went full vegan 2-3 years ago and while she's never once put pressure on me to do the same, I suddenly decided that in the interest of aligning dietary interests (mostly in deciding everybody's favorite question - "What do you want to do for dinner??") I should give vegetarianism a go. I plan on keeping fish and cheese and won't punish myself for cheating here and there, but 1 week in and I'm fully content dining on vegetarian fare for dinner.

I committed to doing this until she and the kids go visit her family Aug 11, but I think if I can make it that long, what's the hurry to run back to meat in my diet? My cholesterol isn't great, digestion has never been stellar and I could stand to lose a pound or 20. I've had some fun looking up new recipes and I think my wife is rather relieved to just have ONE main dinner idea that works for all of us vs. having to cook some chicken or meat on the side and incorporate it into the family dinner. Rowing the boat the same direction, so to speak.

I had all sorts of snark ready to type...but I will just say good luck and wishing you the best friend

I had all sorts of snark ready to type...but I will just say good luck and wishing you the best friend

Ha! I'm sure I deserve it, so snark away.

One other thing, with two in college and three more at home, not buying chicken/meat etc is a nice little savings for sure.

One other thing, with two in college and three more at home, not buying chicken/meat etc is a nice little savings for sure.
Are the kids on board too?

I'd assume in Portland it's super popular, right?

Eh, I dont think vegetarianism is all that more present here in Portland than in other similar cities, at least when it comes to restaurants. I mean, they exist, but it's not shoved down everyone's throats. I see it more in specialty grocery stores. Almost every restaurant will have decent options though.

It's funny though, there's a fast food place down the street from me call Vegan Junk Food, and it is exactly that. a HUGE menu of high calorie fast food, all vegan. Proof that cutting out meat does not necessarily equal healthy,

Eh, I dont think vegetarianism is all that more present here in Portland than in other similar cities, at least when it comes to restaurants. I mean, they exist, but it's not shoved down everyone's throats. I see it more in specialty grocery stores. Almost every restaurant will have decent options though.

It's funny though, there's a fast food place down the street from me call Vegan Junk Food, and it is exactly that. a HUGE menu of high calorie fast food, all vegan. Proof that cutting out meat does not necessarily equal healthy,

Interesting. I'd expect vegetarianism to be much more popular in Portland than many other cities. And that has nothing to do with "shoving it down everyone's throats".

I have a friend whose wife is vegan, he is not. He loves to eat meat. While at lunch I asked her how many times does she require that John brush his teeth before she will kiss him. I believe she just stared at me funny. :)

2 of our kids are in college so they're really on their own. The one who is home for summer is almost never here. I told him we could go shopping this week for some chicken or whatever and I'd be happy to stock up for him and show him some simple recipes/ways to prep and cook chicken/meat to stretch his food budget (he's got a house this coming year and will have to cook his meals).

Of the 3 little guys, 2 have been vegetarian for well over a year. The lone hold-out (MY GUY!) has just a few things he likes in the meat department - pepperoni, bacon, burgers, chicken. But he can take it or leave it. We'll keep a few things on hand for him but he's pretty easy.

Yeah, Oregon in general is a very vegetarian friendly place with more and more restaurants offering vegan options now. For example, there's a pizza joint by us that offers pizzas by the slice - Sizzle Pie. They will have at least 1 and usually 2 vegan pizza slices ready every day. My wife makes her own cashew cheese for our pizzas at home and it's......fine. It's not a perfect replica of real cheese by any stretch, but she likes it. I'm less likely to go that route, at least for now.

You live on the east side, right? I've been dying to get to Mama Dut ever since I saw her feature on a cooking show over winter break. Looks fantastic.

Interesting. I'd expect vegetarianism to be much more popular in Portland than many other cities. And that has nothing to do with "shoving it down everyone's throats".

I think Portlanders get a bad wrap for being militant about certain things like veganism but it's really not reality. I've been here almost 30 years and find just as many meat/burger joint aficionados here as I do vegan/vegetarians. I mean, Portland has an entire week dedicated to burgers.

My wife finds the sledding MUCH tougher when she goes back to Michigan. Not just selection at restaurants, but visiting with all her relatives back home (large Italian/Polish family with dozens of cousins, aunts, uncles) they all regard her as a curiosity. So I think you're absolutely correct that it's more accepted out on the west coast than, say, the mid west. Here, being a vegan is like having a tattoo or a piercing. It's just....whatever. Back in Michigan, they think something is wrong with her.

You live on the east side, right? I've been dying to get to Mama Dut ever since I saw her feature on a cooking show over winter break. Looks fantastic.
I am, yes. Wow, Mama Dut looks great. Adding it to the list. Our go-to Thai place is actually vegan, Kati Thai on Division. It’s fantastic and I have never ever been impressed with any other vegetarian-only restaurants.

Pescaterian, here. The meat-substitutes are often just as high in calories as meat. But what I try to aim for is spice. Add lots of peppers and spices to my foods to make up for the lack of meat/fat. Love red beans & rice, indian curries, etc, etc.

Many weekends I'll make a big pot of brown rice, and then mix in some large shrimp, bell peppers, onions, green chiles, jalapenos, and some low(er)-calorie tikka masala sauce. Split that up into four portions, chuck in the fridge, and it's a quick 5-minute reheat when I get home from work in the evening. Not bad on calories, packed with flavour, and easy to make on otherwise busy nights.

Last edited:
Also went pescatarian last year. Easy move, haven’t looked back once. I would consider giving up fish but it makes life a little too difficult so I’ll compromise. At least it’s a big step aligning my personal values with what I am consuming. I also do feel better and my psoriasis has improved. Luckily my wife is a saint and from day 1 just went along with it. She still eats meat at restaurants or when making a meal just for her but all her cooking for us now confirms to my diet. That’s certainly made it easier.

It definitely didn’t lead me to losing weight though that wasn’t a goal of mine. My blood pressure has gone down, my digestion is better.

Last edited:
Good luck. I recommend going to some vegan festivals and food trucks and restaurants so you can see the variety of options available, beyond what your wife might know. My daughter in LA has a friend who "owns" the Vegan Babe t-shirt business. There are more vegan restaurants in LA than Miami even though the options have increased in every grocery store and city everywhere. When I was in LA last month we went to 2 vegan food truck festivals in just 4 days, including one by a brewery which was great.

I think Portlanders get a bad wrap for being militant about certain things like veganism but it's really not reality.

No "bad rap". And no "shoving down your throat" as the other poster said. I don't see vegetarianism as a negative. I just thought it was more common in cities like Portland.

I think Portlanders get a bad wrap for being militant about certain things like veganism but it's really not reality.

No "bad rap". And no "shoving down your throat" as the other poster said. I don't see vegetarianism as a negative. I just thought it was more common in cities like Portland.

I think the west coast in general is more embrasive of vegetarian eaters. Restaurants for sure got the memo and many of them have vegan options at the ready. I don't think that's the case everywhere in the country but I haven't traveled too much since Covid. I do know my wife's decision to go vegan was met with a little derision by her family in Michigan. When she went to Disney World last summer, it wasn't easy to find a ton of vegan options.

I do think the world is trending towards more acceptance of herbivores. Growing up in Texas, vegetarians were not common nor well regarded. I am certainly guilty of that mindset. But, now I think it might be time to give it a go. Can't hurt!

I was vegetarian for 2 or 3 years a pretty long time ago now - like 15 years maybe? Anyway, I was always low-key about it. Dining at home or restaurants, I was full vegetarian, but when visiting others, I'd eat whatever was served (always wanted to be polite and because I'm the kind of person who absolutely hates having added attention thrown my way). Anyway, we visit my parents and other family members maybe 8-10 times per year and still to this day just about every time, someone makes a comment over dinner like, "Oh, are you eating meat?" Yeah, mom, it's been a while.

I always consider doing it again, but for now I've found I'm most comfortable with the "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." lifestyle.

Restaurants for sure got the memo and many of them have vegan options at the ready. I don't think that's the case everywhere in the country but I haven't traveled too much since Covid.
I would guess 90% plus of restaurants anywhere would not even question a "vegan request"

Restaurants for sure got the memo and many of them have vegan options at the ready. I don't think that's the case everywhere in the country but I haven't traveled too much since Covid.
I would guess 90% plus of restaurants anywhere would not even question a "vegan request"
In major cities, sure. But I don’t think most small towns have gotten the memo, excluding tourist destinations.

Also, while a vegetarian can easily be over-nourished, it‘s pretty tough to be an obese vegan. Yeah, I know Oreos and meat substitutes, but that’s never been the menu for the vegans I’ve known.

In major cities, sure. But I don’t think most small towns have gotten the memo, excluding tourist destinations.
Total money loser for small town restaurants out of season.

Users who are viewing this thread