What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper question, WHIR (1 Viewer)

4th&inches

Footballguy
12-team league 

Background/ League info:

• 12-team, keeper rules are the following:

Can keep up to 3 players drafted after round 5 (so 6th round = 1st keeper round)
  • Year 1 = 1 round prior to draft round (drafted in round 6 = 5th round pick), if added as FA = last round keeper
  • Year 2 = 1/2 of previous year keeper round (kept in year 1 for a 6th round pick = 3rd round pick in year 2)
  • Year 3 = 1st round pick. 

[*]Start: QRRWWTFKD

[*]Scoring: .5PPR, 4pts passing TD, 6pt all other TD's

Keepers: Bold = already keeping (keeper rounds & year in parentheses - listed by keeper round):

•  Nick Chubb (5th round 2nd year) 
  • Austin Ekeler (6th round 1st year)

• Alvin Kamara (1st round, 3rd year)

we do a draft lotto, so it's possible i can choose the 12th pick

[*]DK Metcalf (11th round, 1st year)

[*]Mark Andrews 12th round, 1st year)

[*]DJ Chark Jr. (17th round, 1st year)

[*]Gronk (17th round, 1st year)

Question:

• Who would you keep as your 3rd/ final keeper? Won't say where I'm leaning so there's no bias

Interesting keeper rules, I will admit, never seen this before.  So, let me get straight in my head:  

Chubb was an 11th round pick, so first year kept for a round 10 pick, 2nd year round 5.
Ekeler was a 7th round pick, so first year is round 6 pick, could be kept for year 2 as a 3 rounder.

So as you have things written, you can keep Chark for a 17th?  or Metcalf for an 11th? as year 1 keepers...   Chark for me, this is unbelievable value if my head has it correctly.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting keeper rules, I will admit, never seen this before.  So, let me get straight in my head:  

Chubb was an 11th round pick, so first year kept for a round 10 pick, 2nd year round 5.
Ekeler was a 7th round pick, so first year is round 6 pick, could be kept for year 2 as a 3 rounder.

So as you have things written, you can keep Chark for a 17th?  or Metcalf for an 11th? as year 1 keepers...   Chark for me, this is unbelievable value if my head has it correctly.  
Thanks for the response. Your head has the rules understood correctly. I drafted Chubb in the 11th round 2yrs ago, kept him for a 10th last year, making him a 5th round pick this year. 

all players added via FA/WW pickups can be kept for the last round pick (17th), which is why both Chark & Gronk can be kept for a last rd pick. 

just curious; any thoughts/ insight into Andrews in the 12th? I generally see him getting drafted in the 3/4th rounds, so once keepers are removed, that’d likely make him a solid 3rd round draft pick if thrown back in the player pool. 

thanks again 

I love Andrews this year, I could see him putting up elite numbers this year, (he was close to it last year and now hurst has moved on). If you can secure that kind of point advantage at the position without giving up a early round pick your ahead of the curve. WR is also extremely deep this year, Chark would be my 2nd choice.  

Thanks for the response. Your head has the rules understood correctly. I drafted Chubb in the 11th round 2yrs ago, kept him for a 10th last year, making him a 5th round pick this year. 

all players added via FA/WW pickups can be kept for the last round pick (17th), which is why both Chark & Gronk can be kept for a last rd pick. 

just curious; any thoughts/ insight into Andrews in the 12th? I generally see him getting drafted in the 3/4th rounds, so once keepers are removed, that’d likely make him a solid 3rd round draft pick if thrown back in the player pool. 

thanks again 
Thought about Andrews for about 2 seconds and with Chark's value being higher than Andrews (IMO, and research), he just presents extreme value.  I can find a TE that I could live with.  Chark's value with that 17th round pick is way too much to give up. 

Very interesting league rules!  I would love that in my league but they are boring and would never go for it.

DJ Chark is the slam dunk choice here. Monster WR dominator, has been the stand-out of training camp, and you have him 17th this year, 12th next, and then 7th, which makes him a great three-year value. With Chubb and Ekeler already kept, you don't need to keep Kamara.

Very interesting league rules!  I would love that in my league but they are boring and would never go for it.

DJ Chark is the slam dunk choice here. Monster WR dominator, has been the stand-out of training camp, and you have him 17th this year, 12th next, and then 7th, which makes him a great three-year value. With Chubb and Ekeler already kept, you don't need to keep Kamara.
Thanks for the insight.

FWIW, the way the rules work; Chark would be 17th this year, 9 next year (1/2 of 17 = 8.5 & we round back), and then a 1st round in yr 3. 

For me I would not keep Ekeler and I would keep Chubb, Metcalf and Andrews.  I think you get better long term value for those guys and I expect both to have huge years this year.

For me I would not keep Ekeler and I would keep Chubb, Metcalf and Andrews.  I think you get better long term value for those guys and I expect both to have huge years this year.
thanks for the reply. 

Just curious though; with this only being a 3yr keeper league (3rd year = 1st round pick), why is your thoughts to pass on Ekeler since the long-term is really only 2-3 seasons. 

again, thanks for the help

thanks for the reply. 

Just curious though; with this only being a 3yr keeper league (3rd year = 1st round pick), why is your thoughts to pass on Ekeler since the long-term is really only 2-3 seasons. 

I don't think Ekeler will repeat last year.  I am not high on him and I am really high on Metcalf.  The third choice really comes down to those two guys for me and I would rather have Metcalf. 

I don't think Ekeler will repeat last year.  I am not high on him and I am really high on Metcalf.  The third choice really comes down to those two guys for me and I would rather have Metcalf. 
Thank for the follow up. 

FWIW, the league just voted to approve a 4th keeper spot this year, so I can add 1 more to the above. 

with the addition, leaning:

• Chubb
  • Ekeler,
  • Andrews
and then have to decide between DK in the 11th or Chark in the 17th. 

thanks again

thanks for the reply. 

One other advantage is that the keeper cost format lends itself to giving a lot more value to the WR's due to the 2nd year keeper cost. 

Thank for the follow up. 

FWIW, the league just voted to approve a 4th keeper spot this year, so I can add 1 more to the above. 

with the addition, leaning:

• Chubb
  • Ekeler,
  • Andrews
and then have to decide between DK in the 11th or Chark in the 17th. 

thanks again
I might go with both WR's over Ekeler.  The 2nd year keeper cost is a nice advantage moving forward.  its tougher but I still might do it.  I just don't have a good view of Ekeler.

Users who are viewing this thread