What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

James Robinson suffered an ankle injury in Week 15 against the Ravens. 

Robinson was listed as questionable to return but did not make it back onto the field in the fourth quarter. He came into the game with a knee issue that had limited him at practice for most of last week. If the ankle injury keeps Robinson out for Week 16, Dare Ogunbowale would likely serve as the Jaguars' primary ball carrier against the Bears. Ogunbowale would be viable in deeper PPR leagues. 

RELATED: 

Dare Ogunbowale

SOURCE: Jaguars PR on Twitter 

Dec 21, 2020, 11:09 AM ET

It would figure, wouldn't it? Yesterday was Black Sunday for football as far as I'm concerned. Fits that yesterday would be the day James lost his chance at the UDFA rookie scrimmage record, wouldn't it?
What is the record and who holds it?

Total bummer he got hurt again in this game. Perhaps playing through the knee injury contributed to that. Over compensating to protect one injury leading to another.

What is the record and who holds it?

Total bummer he got hurt again in this game. Perhaps playing through the knee injury contributed to that. Over compensating to protect one injury leading to another.
Whoops. I was wrong. He set it. Dominic Rhodes. With Jacksonville in full tank for Trevor mode, time for a well-earned break for Mr. Robinson. He carried my teams this year. 

Whoops. I was wrong. He set it. Dominic Rhodes. With Jacksonville in full tank for Trevor mode, time for a well-earned break for Mr. Robinson. He carried my teams this year. 
Oh yeah I remember Rhodes.

That was with Peyton Manning in his prime. Edge got hurt.

James Robinson (ankle) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

The Jaguars had already announced Robinson would be rested in practice this week. Even a "limited" Friday session would put him on pace to play against the Bears, but that doesn't seem terribly likely at the moment. Dare Ogunbowale and Devine Ozigbo would form an unappealing Week 16 committee if Robinson can't go. 

Dec 24, 2020, 8:12 PM ET

James Robinson (ankle) is questionable for Week 16 against Chicago.

Robinson was rested throughout the week. The Jaguars were expected to hold him out of practice, but it still casts doubt on his status for Sunday's game. Robinson has said he feels healthy and plans to play. Dare Ogunbowale and Devine Ozigbo would form a Week 16 committee if Robinson sits.

Dec 25, 2020, 12:45 PM ET

Do we really think he’s starting? No practice all week and what seemed to be a high ankle sprain.....if I have another rb that starts Saturday I think I’m going to roll with them. 

Do we really think he’s starting? No practice all week and what seemed to be a high ankle sprain.....if I have another rb that starts Saturday I think I’m going to roll with them. 
I don't own James Robinson anywhere, or have him, or own shares of him or whatever we're allowed to say around here. But I don't believe he plays if he has a high ankle sprain and no practice. Like you, I'd look elsewhere.

There has been no team reports stating that  JR superstar had a  “high ankle injury”.

HC Doug Marrone says they'll rest RB James Robinson in practice this week but Robinson has told Marrone he wants to and feels like he will play Sunday vs. Da Bears. 

Tough kid wants to break team rookie mark 

I've benched him in almost all my leagues, at least for the moment. I'd sure love to get some more reassurance. In one league where I am in position to 3-peat and take down a jackpot prize, I am hemming and hawing over one last flex decision of Robinson vs Taylor vs the likes of Coutee or Tyron Johnson. I have decided against Gaskin in this spot. If Robinson is anything close to a HAS, I may have to balk. Taylor is the obvious choice but they are out both tackles and the Pitt D is nasty. I would easily roll with Robinson if I believe he is playing at close to full health. Bears D is tough, too.

***Doug Marrone told reporters James Robinson wants to play. Unfortunately, a Wednesday DNP after a high ankle sprain doesn't inspire the same confidence. A limited Thursday workout would be more reassuring. Prepare for Robinson to be inactive.

^^This was from Dr. Jene on Wednesday.^^

There has been no team reports stating that  JR superstar had a  “high ankle injury”.

HC Doug Marrone says they'll rest RB James Robinson in practice this week but Robinson has told Marrone he wants to and feels like he will play Sunday vs. Da Bears. 

Tough kid wants to break team rookie mark 
Well you may be right but but it is definitely being called an ankle and he has definitely not practiced. 

Is there an incentive to break a record here or not? If he already set it I am just going to assume he is not playing tomorrow. 

***Doug Marrone told reporters James Robinson wants to play. Unfortunately, a Wednesday DNP after a high ankle sprain doesn't inspire the same confidence. A limited Thursday workout would be more reassuring. Prepare for Robinson to be inactive.

^^This was from Dr. Jene on Wednesday.^^

Well you may be right but but it is definitely being called an ankle and he has definitely not practiced. 

Is there an incentive to break a record here or not? If he already set it I am just going to assume he is not playing tomorrow. 
There might be two different records he's chasing. One was the UDFA yards from scrimmage for a rookie that Rhodes had. The other might be a team thing. 

There might be two different records he's chasing. One was the UDFA yards from scrimmage for a rookie that Rhodes had. The other might be a team thing. 
Not sure what record he’s be chasing.  He already has Jags rookie record for rushing and YFS.  No chance for overall Jags record, as he’s over 500 yards behind MJD’s team records.

James Robinson (ankle) is inactive for Week 16 against the Bears.

Robinson has been banged up the last couple weeks and playing through injuries. It's just too much to overcome this week, and fantasy players that got this far with their RB1 will have to try to surge on without him. Look for Devine Ozigbo to handle to early-down work and Dare Ogunbowale to play his normal pass-game role. Inactive for the Jaguars are Robinson, QB Jake Luton, WR Collin Johnson, CB Luq Barcoo, LB Quincy Williams, TE Tyler Davis, and DT Caraun Reid.

Dec 27, 2020, 11:54 AM ET

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said that RB James Robinson (ankle) will be shut down for the season.

Robinson will sit out Jacksonville's season finale after missing Week 16. In 14 games, Robinson ran for 1,414 total yards, 4.5 YPC, and 10 TDs, putting together the greatest season ever by an undrafted running back. It's even more impressive given Robinson was playing in constant negative gamescripts on the worst team in the league. With the No. 1 pick locked up, Jacksonville's next GM will have Robinson and projected top-pick Trevor Lawrence to build around as franchise cornerstones.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 30, 2020, 9:19 AM ET

I think when the dust settles and Trevor Lawrence is a Jaguar, and we get closer to August, Robinson will be a 1st round redraft pick. I'll be curious to hear where he goes in startups soon.

I think when the dust settles and Trevor Lawrence is a Jaguar, and we get closer to August, Robinson will be a 1st round redraft pick. I'll be curious to hear where he goes in startups soon.
I would guess late 2nd to early 3rd, after a few rookies jump ahead of him. Adam Harstad made an argument for targeting young players with a higher redraft ADP than dynasty ADP. The argument being that their value will increase significantly if the redraft projections hold. The two examples I remember him putting forward were Ronald Jones and Terry McLaurin - two wins for his system. I expect Robinson to be the poster child this offseason. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess late 2nd to early 3rd, after a few rookies jump ahead of him. Adam Harstad made an argument for targeting young players with a higher redraft ADP than dynasty ADP. The argument being that their value will increase significantly if the redraft projections hold. The two examples I remember him putting forward were Ronald Jones and Terry McLaurin - two wins for his system. I expect Robinson to be the poster child this offseason. 
I think he will start there but as the offseason continues he will climb. 

The rumor out there indicating Urban Meyers putting his coaching staff altogether in preparation of being hired as Jaguars' next HC.  What does this mean for RB James Robinson?  

As owner of a couple shares of Robinson, pleeeassseee let this be true.  I'd cash out in a heartbeat.  Happy he helped me to the playoffs, but let me take advantage of the hype.  He doesn't look special.  Also,Jax could easily pull a KC and torpedo his value with a draft pick.

As owner of a couple shares of Robinson, pleeeassseee let this be true.  I'd cash out in a heartbeat.  Happy he helped me to the playoffs, but let me take advantage of the hype.  He doesn't look special.  Also,Jax could easily pull a KC and torpedo his value with a draft pick.
Not sure who you watched this year but he certainly looked special to me. He doesn't have breakaway speed but he turned so many negative plays into good runs in a terrible offense. 3rd in yards after contact only behind Cook and Henry.

The rumor out there indicating Urban Meyers putting his coaching staff altogether in preparation of being hired as Jaguars' next HC.  What does this mean for RB James Robinson?  
I’m not sure what it means for Robinson. I think Meyer wants to lean on one back if he can. Brandon Warfield got the bulk of the RB touches at Utah, Zeke at OSU. He never really had that guy at Florida, so he split the load. He runs his QB a lot, though he’ll have to tone that down at this level.

FWIW, I expect Lawrence to run quite a bit, by NFL standards. I’d also expect Shenault to get plenty of gadget touches, similar to Percy Harvin and Aaron Hernandez.

If I had to guess, I’d say the offense will be able to move the ball - and that will help the unit as a whole, including Robinson. Slight boost, perhaps.

Jags to sign Hyde. 2 years/$6M

https://sleeper.app/topic/170000000000000000/677327030127267840

Seems like a good signing for Robinson.  Hyde seems like more of a backup at this stage of his career, AND he isn’t a 3rd-down RB, so Robinson should still get the valuable RB targets as well.

Or am I reading too much into it as a Robinson manager?
Exactly how I see it...they will probably add another RB in the draft because that unit needs bodies but this is step one for Robinson to keep his value.

Jags to sign Hyde. 2 years/$6M

https://sleeper.app/topic/170000000000000000/677327030127267840

Seems like a good signing for Robinson.  Hyde seems like more of a backup at this stage of his career, AND he isn’t a 3rd-down RB, so Robinson should still get the valuable RB targets as well.

Or am I reading too much into it as a Robinson manager?
I think that should be considered good news for Robinson owners. It doesn’t precluded them from bringing some one else in, but Hyde isn’t much of a threat to be more than a backup.

Exactly how I see it...they will probably add another RB in the draft because that unit needs bodies but this is step one for Robinson to keep his value.
TBD for me. I've heard their staff reference lack of Robinson's speed and/or need for speed out of the backfield a few times this off-season.  I figure that shoe will drop and then I'll asses,  perhaps Curtis Samuel can fill that role if they sign him.

TBD for me. I've heard their staff reference lack of Robinson's speed and/or need for speed out of the backfield a few times this off-season.  I figure that shoe will drop and then I'll asses,  perhaps Curtis Samuel can fill that role if they sign him.
That is what I was saying...they were going to be adding multiple RBs because outside of Robinson they had nothing...so far, it is Hyde which is good news...who else they add will ultimately determine his value.

That is what I was saying...they were going to be adding multiple RBs because outside of Robinson they had nothing...so far, it is Hyde which is good news...who else they add will ultimately determine his value.
Isn't Hyde one of Meyer's guys from Ohio State? Maybe Meyer likes him more than you would think.

Isn't Hyde one of Meyer's guys from Ohio State? Maybe Meyer likes him more than you would think.
I'm sure he likes him because he's a decent backup but IMO he is a backup and at 30 years old we know what he is.

Keep in mind Robinson was getting an ungodly amount of snaps per game last year. I agree with the SportsEDGE writer, Robinson still has RB2 value but his RB1 days are kinda gone with Hyde siphoning off 6-8 carries and maybe some GL work. Hyde may be nothing but a backup, but he's one who can carry the load in a pinch.

Hyde has settled in as one of the NFL's better role-playing, veteran backs, but his addition is actually good news for second-year pro James Robinson. Hyde is not the sort of player who is going to come in and take a job, even if he and Meyer go way back. It is still possible the Jags make another addition to their backfield, but for now, Robinson's RB2 case remains secure.

Keep in mind Robinson was getting an ungodly amount of snaps per game last year. I agree with the SportsEDGE writer, Robinson still has RB2 value but his RB1 days are kinda gone with Hyde siphoning off 6-8 carries and maybe some GL work. Hyde may be nothing but a backup, but he's one who can carry the load in a pinch.
Every discussion about Robinson centers around the high percentage of snaps he got last year. People don't bring up how bad that offense was and how good Robinson was in that bad offense. If the offense as whole takes a step forward, which we expect it to under Trevor, why can't Robinson still be a fantasy RB1 even if his carry % drops. 

This is as good of news as any for Robinson keeping RB1 status. For some reason people can’t get over the fact Robinson was an UDFA. Everything backs up his position as a top five NFL back, he can do it all. And he now has some help to keep him fresh, and will get solid qb play finally. 

When you say you want more explosiveness in your backfield, it's never a good thing for the incumbent. But that said, I don't expect too much draft capital to be used. It's more like if a fourth or greater can beat him out for the role, which is never certain. I wonder who they have their eyes on. Because "explosive" is not a word I think you'll see Carlos Hyde embody at age thirty. That's good news for Robinson's volume, actually. 

Seems like wishful thinking from owners to me. This obviously isn't devastating to his value or anything, but it's pretty hard to make the case that it's a good thing when they bring in a solid veteran who has history with the new coach on the first day of free agency.

Seems like wishful thinking from owners to me. This obviously isn't devastating to his value or anything, but it's pretty hard to make the case that it's a good thing when they bring in a solid veteran who has history with the new coach on the first day of free agency.
I don't know. I traded him for the exact reason of this uncertainty, and you'd have to think that bringing in Hyde is good news for Robinson. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. It's the "explosive" comments that would put me on a bit of edge about the situation. You never like to not hear yourself referred to in that way.

GM: "Well, we just need some more explosiveness in our backfield."

Robinson: :sadbanana:

Maybe I'm missing something. It's the "explosive" comments that would put me on a bit of edge about the situation.
Same on the explosive comments which have been said at least twice now. Not only what Baalke said but when new OC Bevell was commenting on him he gave a fairly good report but said he'd still be working on his speed, good luck with that. They seem pretty caught up with that fact.

I don't know. I traded him for the exact reason of this uncertainty, and you'd have to think that bringing in Hyde is good news for Robinson. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. It's the "explosive" comments that would put me on a bit of edge about the situation. You never like to not hear yourself referred to in that way.

GM: "Well, we just need some more explosiveness in our backfield."

Robinson: :sadbanana:
Disagree. Robinson went from essentially zero competition for touches last year to one. How is that "good"?

Again, Hyde isn't a world-beater but he's a solid veteran. He has a history with the coach (unlike Robinson) and signed a 2 yr $6 mil deal on the first day of free agency as one of the 1st FA RB's signed- it certainly seems like they made him somewhat of a priority, no?

Agreed that the "explosive" comments are a concern as well. Reading the tea leaves it doesn't seem like they are sold on Robinson as a bellcow.

Disagree. Robinson went from essentially zero competition for touches last year to one. How is that "good"?
It makes this a more normal backfield like the rest of the NFL. They had nobody behind James. I've never seen any team give less work to their 2nd RB, and it was McKissic only in 2 minute drill and only when James needed a breather, not because of obvious passing situations. James caught 49 balls.

He is also explosive AF in traffic. Had a 40" vert at the combine and looked amazing on the field last year for anyone here that actually watched him. Great not good vision. Great not good contact balance. Great not good ability to fight through and around tacklers. Great not good explosiveness where it really matters. He doesn't have the long speed, though, and I'd be crazy not to acknowledge the coach speak here, plus the new regime and all that. He scored 10 TDs as a rookie in a terrible offense. Hyde can only be seen as a good thing as it is just a depth signing that makes them like every other team that has ever stepped on the field. The explosive talk does give pause because it doesn't really matter if *I* think he is explosive, it's whether I think the Jags think that. 

Anyway he is so much better than anyone they're going to bring in that I'm not too worried. Plus I fully expect the offense to open up under Lawrence. But, if people are going to poo poo on him then I guess his ADP is probably falling as we speak. I have enough shares of him already but I wonder if people are actually going to sell because of Carlos Hyde coming in for a couple dollars.

Again, Hyde isn't a world-beater but he's a solid veteran. He has a history with the coach (unlike Robinson) and signed a 2 yr $6 mil deal on the first day of free agency as one of the 1st FA RB's signed- it certainly seems like they made him somewhat of a priority, no?

Agreed that the "explosive" comments are a concern as well. Reading the tea leaves it doesn't seem like they are sold on Robinson as a bellcow.
It's good because everybody knew that there was a 0% chance that they would go into this year with the same lack of depth at RB.  They could have brought in somebody better or used a high draft pick on a RB.  They still could draft one but with this signing it makes it much more likely they will wait until day 3.  Hyde is somebody that the coach is comfortable with and he was signed to backup money.   It looks like they made it a priority to get a good backup RB so Robinson doesn't need to get the insane volume he got last year.  This is exactly the kind of signing that Robinson owners were hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread