Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB James Robinson, JAC

JFS171

1 hour ago, ignatiusjreilly said:

"Bruised heel" doesn't sound all that bad, but of course it could mean a variety of things. I believe the in-game report was that it was his ankle, so I guess a heel is encouraging? :shrug:

Yeah it was initially reported as an ankle, so the update to heel seemed encouraging. He seemed to be active on the sidelines yesterday, so hopefully it doesn’t keep him out long, if at all. 

James Robinson (heel) did not practice for a second consecutive day on Thursday.

While he may have avoided serious injury, Robinson is looking at an uphill climb to be ready for Week 9's game against the Bills, one where he'll likely be questionable at best. Carlos Hyde spelled him in relief against the Seahawks and could be in line for double digit carries if the Robinson is unable to go on Sunday, though Hyde is dealing with his own calf injury. 

SOURCE: Michael DiRocco on Twitter

Nov 4, 2021, 3:33 PM ET

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said James Robinson (heel) should be able to play in Week 10 against the Colts. 

Robinson was inactive last week against Buffalo after testing his injured heel in pregame warmups. He was limited at Friday's practice leading up to the Bills game. "I expect him to be limited a little bit early in the week but I'm hearing everything's real positive [for Sunday]," Meyer said of Robinson's Week 10 availability. If he suits up, Robinson should be in fantasy lineups against the Colts. He had seen at least 15 rushing attempts -- along with passing down work -- in the four games leading up to his Week 8 injury. 

RELATED: 

Carlos Hyde

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Nov 9, 2021, 11:20 AM ET

James Robinson (heel) returned to practice Thursday.

It's Robinson's first session since he initially bruised his heel in Week 8 against Seattle. Carlos Hyde handled 22-of-24 backfield touches sans Robinson in Jacksonville's upset over the Bills but is expected to return to the bench in favor of Robinson if the latter is cleared to play against Indy. Robinson should be viewed as an RB2 in his first game back from injury.

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Nov 11, 2021, 12:39 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports James Robinson (heel) is a game-time decision for the Jaguars' Week 10 game against the Colts.

Rapoport added, "playing likely won’t make it worse, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll go." It sounds like Robinson is dealing with a pain-tolerance issue. He'll need to go through pre-game warmups before being cleared to play. If he does, Robinson will slot in as a volume-based RB2. Robinson had seen at least 19 touches in four consecutive games before suffering the heel injury in Week 8. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 14, 2021, 8:19 AM ET

James Robinson (heel, knee) is questionable for Week 11 against the 49ers.

Coach Urban Meyer said Robinson is "day to day" and feeling "pretty good" ahead of Sunday, a tell for Robinson's pending availability. He returned in Week 10 to handle 84% of Jacksonville's backfield touches after missing one game with his ongoing heel issue, staying an opportunity-based RB1/2 when he's inevitably deemed active against San Francisco.

SOURCE: Jacksonville Jaguars on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 2:42 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports James Robinson (heel, knee) is "expected to play" against the 49ers. 

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer hinted at this himself on Friday when he said his starting back was feeling "pretty good." It's fair to wonder if Robinson will be on a snap count at what seems to be far less than 100 percent health, but Meyer has yet to toy with Robinson's workloads since he became the unquestioned lead back. If Robinson goes, we would feel comfortable treating him as a mid-range RB2 for what might end up a slobber-knocker of a game in Jacksonville. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 20, 2021, 11:44 PM ET

Jaguars did not list James Robinson (heel/knee) with an injury designation for Week 12 against the Falcons.

Robinson practiced in full on Friday and should be a full go for Sunday. Carlos Hyde still worked in for 30% of snaps in Week 11, with Robinson at 63%. It's possible that Robinson's role grows this week as he nears full health. The Jaguars are facing a Falcons defense that is vulnerable on the ground as well as through the air. Robinson isn't the highest ceiling option, but he looks like a solid RB2 this week.

Nov 26, 2021, 2:37 PM ET

9 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:
24 minutes ago, Banger said:

who's the backup behind Robinson?

Hyde

Probably worth a pickup if he's out there (he's not in the league where I have Robinson). But this isn't a Mattison/Darrel Williams situation. Robinson's value comes from him being Robinson. Jax offense is terrible and so is Hyde. I would guess you're getting about 60% of JR's value with him.

Jaguars' James Robinson: Logs limited practice session

(25 mins ago) Robinson (heel/knee) was listed by the Jaguars as a limited practice participant Thursday.

Initial reports suggested that Robinson wasn't present for Thursday's practice, but evidently the running back was able to fit some work in after all and thus logged a limited session. If he's able to practice fully Friday, Robinson could approach Sunday's game against the Rams minus an injury designation, a progression that would match how he headed into Week 12 action.

• Thanks 2

James Robinson (heel) is questionable for Week 13 against the Rams. 

Robinson was incorrectly reported as not practicing on Thursday - he was officially limited on the injury report - and got in another limited session on Friday. Three limited practices throughout the week suggest Robinson will be ready to play, but that will hopefully be made official on Sunday morning. Robinson will be a touch-based RB2 if he is able to suit up. 

Dec 3, 2021, 5:02 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports James Robinson (heel/ankle) "plans to play" in Week 13 against the Rams.

Robinson initially appeared to be on the wrong side of questionable but Schefter reports that he felt better on Saturday and will attempt to play versus the Rams. He will still need to make it through warmups before officially being made active but fantasy managers can plan on having him in their lineup for now. Carlos Hyde would assume the bulk of Robinson's role if things take a turn for the worse. Fantasy managers relying on Robinson should add Hyde as a precautionary measure.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 5, 2021, 8:36 AM ET

• Thanks 1

Speaking Monday, Jaguars coach Urban Meyer admitted it was unwise to give a banged up James Robinson three carries in the final two minutes of Jacksonville's blowout loss to the Rams. 

Robinson entered the game, a 37-7 loss, battling heel and knee issues. "That's a good question," was Meyer's response when pressed on why an injured Robinson was taking meaningless late touches, before blaming it on the team's running back "rotation," and RBs coach Bernie Parmalee's apparent desire to "get Robinson a few more carries at that point." When further pressed, Meyer replied "I'd agree" when it was posited that was not smart. Simply stunning. This is now at least the second time this year Meyer has pled ignorance about his backfield's usage, as if he were not the man in charge. The legendary college football coach has seemed in thoroughly over his head in Jacksonville, with his offense collapsing instead of improving as the season wears on. A supposed offensive genius, Meyer's team has 64 points in six games since Jacksonville's bye. That is ridiculously awful. It seems fair to say Meyer is going to need to completely revamp his process if he's back for a second season in Duval. 

SOURCE: Michael DiRocco on Twitter 

Dec 6, 2021, 5:07 PM ET

I'm assuming most of you have heard Urban's responses to line of questioning regarding  James Robinson. He was asked if Robinson is getting punished more severely then other members of the team. He said no. He was then asked if that was not the case and if he was out for long stretches this past week not for fumbling but for health reasons why was he playing last few snaps of a blowout.

James Robinson himself, who I've been told is super low key and quiet,  did a radio hit yesterday and was kind of asked the same questions and here are his responses: https://twitter.com/ActionSportsJax/status/1468031697782558735

A few takeaways from this but main thing is their does seem to be a disconnect between Robinson and the coaching staff, not that Robinson seems like the type to mope or complain.  I'm sure Robinson owners and ETN owners as well would sure like to see this relationship end and I'm starting to think it's possible. Maybe just wishful thinking. But this draft class is not super strong looking at RB, I believe Robinson is on cost controlled cheap deal for two more years, and maybe even if the Jags are not actively shopping him an astute GM out there will see an opportunity here and pounce.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, menobrown said:

A few takeaways from this but main thing is their does seem to be a disconnect between Robinson and the coaching staff, not that Robinson seems like the type to mope or complain.  I'm sure Robinson owners and ETN owners as well would sure like to see this relationship end and I'm starting to think it's possible. Maybe just wishful thinking. But this draft class is not super strong looking at RB, I believe Robinson is on cost controlled cheap deal for two more years, and maybe even if the Jags are not actively shopping him an astute GM out there will see an opportunity here and pounce.

Jags aren't exactly lighting it up in the personnel IQ department this past year, but you've gotta think they're holding onto Robinson. I'll give you wide berth because you've been pretty spot-on in your assessment, but why would they trade him? They don't know at all what they have in Etienne right now. It would seem foolish. I wouldn't put it past them, but you'd think they'd have learned their lesson about the NFL, explosiveness, and running backs. 

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Jags aren't exactly lighting it up in the personnel IQ department this past year, but you've gotta think they're holding onto Robinson. I'll give you wide berth because you've been pretty spot-on in your assessment, but why would they trade him? They don't know at all what they have in Etienne right now. It would seem foolish. I wouldn't put it past them, but you'd think they'd have learned their lesson about the NFL, explosiveness, and running backs. 

I appreciate the latitude on my working theories and I for sure don't think they will trade him, just think this kind of stuff makes it more possible.

If they did trade him why would they?

They don't value him. They've not really shown that they do. Maybe a better way to state is they don't value him nearly as high as another team would. IMO when he got injured their offense went another level downhill.  At this point he is and has been the best player on that offense since he entered the league but spending the #1 on ETN, benching him for fumbling to point that when Hyde was asking to be taken out for a breather they told Robinson don't go in, eventually throwing  a very banged up Robinson into last few series of a game they were getting killed are not in alignment with things you do with a player you put a high value on.

So along the lines of what I just wrote if a team offers them compensation more then the value they have on Robinson.

Then you do have Robinson potentially making waves. This is not as likely to me because he does not seem like the type but that's what players have agents handle sometimes so it's not impossible that his agent starts letting front office know he's not happy, feels like he's carried team on his back last two years is getting run into ground but not rewarded and would be open to a trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, menobrown said:

I appreciate the latitude on my working theories and I for sure don't think they will trade him, just think this kind of stuff makes it more possible.

If they did trade him why would they?

They don't value him. They've not really shown that they do. Maybe a better way to state is they don't value him nearly as high as another team would. IMO when he got injured their offense went another level downhill.  At this point he is and has been the best player on that offense since he entered the league but spending the #1 on ETN, benching him for fumbling to point that when Hyde was asking to be taken out for a breather they told Robinson don't go in, eventually throwing  a very banged up Robinson into last few series of a game they were getting killed are not in alignment with things you do with a player you put a high value on.

So along the lines of what I just wrote if a team offers them compensation more then the value they have on Robinson.

Then you do have Robinson potentially making waves. This is not as likely to me because he does not seem like the type but that's what players have agents handle sometimes so it's not impossible that his agent starts letting front office know he's not happy, feels like he's carried team on his back last two years is getting run into ground but not rewarded and would be open to a trade.

All very plausible, especially the deduction that they don't value him given their actions. I just find it hard to believe they'd be that stubborn and stupid (for lack of better words, let's call a spade a spade) with respect to him and his talents. But you're right that all things add up to not valuing a player. Maybe they could get "blown away" by a third round pick given their once and current valuation of him.

We'll see. Be great for people that roster him if he actually had a team that seemed to want him running the football. 

52 minutes ago, menobrown said:

James Robinson himself, who I've been told is super low key and quiet,  did a radio hit yesterday and was kind of asked the same questions and here are his responses: https://twitter.com/ActionSportsJax/status/1468031697782558735

Wow - those guys really goaded Robinson and he gave some answers that he probably wish he could have back. What's with not knowing how much time is on the clock though?

Who knows which way this will go - in this season, I'm sure there's some expectation of frustration by everyone - but this can't be a good look for Robinson in the eyes of his coaching staff. I doubt they trade him considering he's so cheap, but I am looking to target Etienne on the cheap in keeper/dynasty leagues in case Urban sticks around and Etienne's recovery goes well.

Edited by zamboni

I think Robinson is pretty stuck. He doesn't seem to be highly value by his team, he's not going to fetch a great return in real football and he probably doesn't have the leverage to squeaky wheel himself out of there. Purgatory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, habsfan said:

I think Robinson is pretty stuck. He doesn't seem to be highly value by his team, he's not going to fetch a great return in real football and he probably doesn't have the leverage to squeaky wheel himself out of there. Purgatory.

Yup - speaking out like that is only going to hurt him. If he's not playing, he's not going to raise his value when he ultimately can leave via free agency. 

Edited by zamboni

2 minutes ago, habsfan said:

That's the conclusion I've actually come to. He's an RFA in 2023. That's a ways off. 

32 minutes ago, rockaction said:

All very plausible, especially the deduction that they don't value him given their actions. I just find it hard to believe they'd be that stubborn and stupid (for lack of better words, let's call a spade a spade) with respect to him and his talents. But you're right that all things add up to not valuing a player. Maybe they could get "blown away" by a third round pick given their once and current valuation of him.

We'll see. Be great for people that roster him if he actually had a team that seemed to want him running the football. 

NFL coaches.

• Like 1

Just now, zed2283 said:

NFL coaches.

I keep forgetting their capacity for both, especially coming from ego-driven guys that are used to .800-plus winning percentages with athletes that you can boss around, those who have no recourse but transferring somewhere else they can be bossed around like chattel. 

Ugh. Meyer. 

I'm going to disagree he could not bring back a decent return. I think under the right circumstances he could draw back a second, especially this year but saying that I would have no trust in this franchise to maximize a trade asset. I've said this before and I'll say it again but I think his talent to me is like a young Frank Gore, this is not just some volume driven fantasy compiling stiff to me, this is a very good football player. 

I also did not perceive his answers to the questions as speaking out and for sure not a hint of looking like he was complaining. And I really wish he'd speak out,  I think the Jags have shown they will deal players who want out or are not working out. Now I did think it was odd about not knowing the time on the clock, makes it sound like he mentally checked out or worse.

I'm going to disagree he could not bring back a decent return. I think under the right circumstances he could draw back a second, especially this year but saying that I would have no trust in this franchise to maximize a trade asset.

I was going to say that they'd trade him for a second but nobody would offer it, IMO. When I wrote about a third upthread I had an aside that I deleted where I talked about a second, but that seems far-fetched for him. That's just reading the lay of the NFL land. Perhaps there are evaluators out there that see him like you do, and they'd be willing to offer it. I'm not going to disagree very vehemently with that line of thought. I think, if that were the offer, the Jags would do that in a heartbeat. 

15 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I was going to say that they'd trade him for a second but nobody would offer it, IMO. When I wrote about a third upthread I had an aside that I deleted where I talked about a second, but that seems far-fetched for him. That's just reading the lay of the NFL land. Perhaps there are evaluators out there that see him like you do, and they'd be willing to offer it. I'm not going to disagree very vehemently with that line of thought. I think, if that were the offer, the Jags would do that in a heartbeat. 

We usually see multiple RB's drafted in the second round  so to me that is the lay of the land for a good young RB. The trade off is 2 years of cost control vs 4 years but proven and 100% NFL ready vs a question mark.

Anyway all speculation I can only hope we get confirmed and he got traded for a bag of bagels I'd be happy to see it. For some of my dynasty teams for sure,  but I'd really like to see him on a good team instead of getting rode to death in obscurity.

ETA- I wanted to add it would be fair to say "when is the last time a RB drew a second" in return and that being evidence the lay of the land does not support getting a second in return. That's all true. Just don't see a lot of young first year contract RB's that are performing well made available but for sure it's one of the most difficult positions to get trade return but even the Patriots got a 4 and 6 for Sony and he only had a year left on his deal and he's not as good.

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1

We usually see multiple RB's drafted in the second round  so to me that is the lay of the land for a good young RB. The trade off is 2 years of cost control vs 4 years but proven and 100% NFL ready vs a question mark.

We do, but those guys are all sub 4.55 guys with burst. Robinson has good burst, no doubt, and his proven status might outweigh his lack of top-end speed, but I see the guys that they're drafting in the second and I'm thinking, "Those guys are a just a little faster than Robinson." 

But I'm a watch and tape guy, admittedly, and there's more to being a RB than that. 

Bottom line is we generally agree in that I'd also be happy to see him go somewhere they want him and somewhere where he's a contributor on a good team, because it seems like he's a good egg with a good story. He's clearly a starting RB in the NFL as it stands. 

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

We do, but those guys are all sub 4.55 guys with burst.

Of top of my head we saw Clyde and Jacobs make it to late round one and I think they were comparable to Robinson. I think Kerryon Johnson in early second a few years ago .Now, fact those picks were probably mistakes might not be ideal but we do see Rb's with slower 40's going high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Of top of my head we saw Clyde and Jacobs make it to late round one and I think they were comparable to Robinson. I think Kerryon Johnson in early second a few years ago .Now, fact those picks were probably mistakes might not be ideal but we do see Rb's with slower 40's going high.

You're right, actually. Jacobs didn't run and would have run in the high 4.6s based on estimates, Clyde ran like a 4.6, and Javonte didn't light up any speed guns, either, so there is precedent. For sure.