What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet’s political thoughts and commentary- back in here until the election is done (2 Viewers)

sho nuff said:
Caught asking him a tame question?  No...there would not be such a thread.  So please explain why its bad rather than continuing to claim...it would be a huge thread if it was the other way around.  Seems like a copout to get to complain about something without ever being able to say what was even bad about the tweet.
How do we know it’s a tame question? He misfired on a dm. What is in his dms? 

Would you consider  planning to pack the court playing nice.    And do you think the democrats will be forgiving and play nice?

As a conservative  I go with the President  Lincoln's instruction of how to handle the south after the Civil War.  "Let em up easy".   

But I dont think I've ever been on the FreeRepublic website.    But there is not a lot of desire  to let the other side up easy.  Seems like both sides only want to pull the other guy up half way so you can pull them into a heal kick.

Its unfortunate.

Biden - the Democratic Presidential candidate - has already talked about getting things "back to normal" and working on deals with the GOP after Trump is gone. So yes, I do think the Dems will reach out to the other side. Because that's the era Biden is from.

So Trump is giving balcony speech today- well, there are famous figures form the last century that were known for the power of their balcony speeches- their names were Benito and Eva. 

But I think the media is making a little too much about the threat Trump personally will pose to his audience- surely he will be far away enough that his saliva can’t carry even to the first row, right? It seems to me that the irresponsibility of the event comes not from Trump’s condition but from the fact that they’re inviting a couple of thousand people and that, though they’re handing out masks, they’re not going to force anyone to wear them. 

Is it legal for Trump to have a campaign rally at the White House? Or do we just not care about those things anymore.

timschochet said:
They had a poll tonight on FreeRepublic.com: after President Trump is easily re-elected, should conservatives be forgiving and make nice with Democrats? 
The overwhelming answer was “NO!!!” 
Yet they will anyway just like last time. If Republicans ran the attempted coup the Democrats did there would be 30 people in jail right now. But 99% of Republicans are too cowardly.

Yet they will anyway just like last time. If Republicans ran the attempted coup the Democrats did there would be 30 people in jail right now. But 99% of Republicans are too cowardly.
Do you agree with President Trump that the Attorney General should be arresting Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and Joe Biden even as we speak? 

Biden - the Democratic Presidential candidate - has already talked about getting things "back to normal" and working on deals with the GOP after Trump is gone. So yes, I do think the Dems will reach out to the other side. Because that's the era Biden is from.
Trump has said much the same thing.    But tim wasn't talking about Trump he was talking about the base.    Trump even said on mark Levin that he would be willing to help with blue state pension problems.

Tim are you satisfied with Biden saying you don’t deserve to know his plan to permanently altar and destroy the SCOTUS?

Reporter: "Don't the voters deserve to know [your position on packing the courts?]"

@JoeBiden: "No, they don't deserve"

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1314941896050061314?s=21
No I’m not satisfied. It was a bad answer. It was also an aggressive question. 
I like Biden but some of his answers at times are jerkish. 

Gotta tell ya, though, none of this matters. Unless something shocking happens (I don’t want to predict what) this race is over. Not gonna be close. 

Biden camp knows the conservatives lost high road and pearl-clutching ability after Merrick Garland.

They have certainly done some polling, and know that court-stacking isn't changing any votes from Biden to Trump. Anyone that terrified of it, isn't voting Dem anyway. One issue voters don't change sides. 

They'll get some outraged sound bites out of it, but this does little damage to Biden.

The question should be, "Joe, are you comfortable continuing the court stacking?" 😂

No I’m not satisfied. It was a bad answer. It was also an aggressive question. 
I like Biden but some of his answers at times are jerkish. 

Gotta tell ya, though, none of this matters. Unless something shocking happens (I don’t want to predict what) this race is over. Not gonna be close. 
You only see it as an aggressive question because the MSM treats Biden like a child. Leave it to a local Las Vegas news anchor to finally press him on a huge issue he’s been given a pass on by the MSM.

California’s liberals and Mark Zuckerberg are supporting Prop. 15, which would remove Prop. 13 limitations on commercial properties only and allow them to be reassessed every 3 years in order to pay for schools. 
This is a very bad idea. I don’t mind the principle of higher taxes but commercial property in particular is a bad place to try and get them. The costs will be passed on to the small businesses which won’t be able to afford them; corporations will. The result will be that more small retail will fail and corporations will take their place. Yes I have a selfish interest (I manage small retail shopping centers for my family and others) but I know that what I’m saying here makes sense. 

Stuff like this is why, despite my siding with liberals on a vast majority of issues in recent years, I could never be a liberal myself,  because they keep returning to these  mindless taxation policies without ever considering the consequences of doing so. 

Biden camp knows the conservatives lost high road and pearl-clutching ability after Merrick Garland.

They have certainly done some polling, and know that court-stacking isn't changing any votes from Biden to Trump. Anyone that terrified of it, isn't voting Dem anyway. One issue voters don't change sides. 

They'll get some outraged sound bites out of it, but this does little damage to Biden.

The question should be, "Joe, are you comfortable continuing the court stacking?" 😂
I don't see any upside for him to answer one way or another right now. Like you said they have already figured that out. 

California’s liberals and Mark Zuckerberg are supporting Prop. 15, which would remove Prop. 13 limitations on commercial properties only and allow them to be reassessed every 3 years in order to pay for schools. 
This is a very bad idea. I don’t mind the principle of higher taxes but commercial property in particular is a bad place to try and get them. The costs will be passed on to the small businesses which won’t be able to afford them; corporations will. The result will be that more small retail will fail and corporations will take their place. Yes I have a selfish interest (I manage small retail shopping centers for my family and others) but I know that what I’m saying here makes sense. 

Stuff like this is why, despite my siding with liberals on a vast majority of issues in recent years, I could never be a liberal myself,  because they keep returning to these  mindless taxation policies without ever considering the consequences of doing so. 
Of course.  You want someone other than yourself to pay more taxes.  

Of course.  You want someone other than yourself to pay more taxes.  
It’s sad that this is what you got out of what I wrote. 
No matter how taxation is done in California, I will have to pay it, whether it’s sales tax, or residential property, or gas tax, or whatever.  But all of those are preferable IMO to commercial property taxes because small retail is, I believe, the key to prosperity. 

No matter how taxation is done in California, I will have to pay it, whether it’s sales tax, or residential property, or gas tax, or whatever.  But all of those are preferable IMO to commercial property taxes because small retail is, I believe, the key to prosperity. 
Then vote for a better candidate

As many of us long suspected, despite some here consistently labeling you as that... :coffee:

Small retail is also the key to community. I love and support the small businesses in my area. It’s what makes community special. We’re fortunate that small retail has been well supported here through the pandemic. 

It's also likely increased tax and resulting increased lease fees will get passed on to customers via higher prices. I don't know if it's worth it to close up the loopholes that have been getting exploited. I guess we're about to find out.

You don’t like the bolded but are voting for Biden....now that’s interesting. 😂

Not that this failure won’t help Democrats- it will, because Republicans are perceived to be MORE resistant, and that will only contribute to the Democratic tsunami that’s about to happen. And that’s what I want to happen. The way Republicans have behaved over the last few years they don’t deserve to be in charge of anything. 
But that doesn’t change the fact that when the chips were down Democrats decided to play politics instead of act in the nations best interests. Some of us won’t forget. 

Senate Republicans, House Democrats kill stimulus package: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/10/prospects-more-stimulus-checks-covid-relief-fade-latest-offer-trump-draws-opposition-republicans-democrats/

Amazingly enough, in this case I side with President Trump. I can’t believe I’m writing this but he’s the one being reasonable here trying to come up with a compromise between the two sides. People are really hurting. This is shameful. 
It’s disgusting. We should all stay home on November 3rd. Throw your ballot in the garbage. 

Because i don’t see how they are.  since it was his assertion...Id love to hear how it would be mindless.  But I wont hold my breath.
Instead of answering a question you turn it back on someone else.  This is why everyone ignores your the mindless posts that ask questions, demanding links, when there is clearly no intention of a decent conversation.

Really?   Why ?  
He’s basically repealing the Trump tax cuts, give or take. We have some huge things that we need to pay for: stimulus for Covid, infrastructure, climate change. We can’t just keep borrowing; the deficit and debt are already huge. So some kind of tax increase needs to happen. Bernie and Warren wanted one that was way too big that would severely hamper economic growth. Biden’s plan is scaled back from that, so it makes sense. At least to me. 

I was watching SNL and the VP debate. It started out OK but then Herman Cain showed up. Totally tasteless, totally wrong. They’re going to take some heat for this, and it’s deserved. 

He’s basically repealing the Trump tax cuts, give or take. We have some huge things that we need to pay for: stimulus for Covid, infrastructure, climate change. We can’t just keep borrowing; the deficit and debt are already huge. So some kind of tax increase needs to happen. Bernie and Warren wanted one that was way too big that would severely hamper economic growth. Biden’s plan is scaled back from that, so it makes sense. At least to me. 
Infrastructure is way more important than climate change. Are you doing anything to promote healthy forest management practices in California?

Infrastructure is way more important than climate change. Are you doing anything to promote healthy forest management practices in California?
No it isn’t. But it is important. 
With regard to your second point, much of the forest in California is on federal land, which the state has no control over. Forest management is an important issue, but not the most important issue. 

Final thought before I turn in: an interesting break down from the ABC poll: 

Women

Biden 59% 

Trump 36%

Men 

Biden 48% 

Trump 48% 

Why? Why is there such a disparity between men and women about this? 

Because i don’t see how they are.  since it was his assertion...Id love to hear how it would be mindless.  But I wont hold my breath.
They are not unique in any way shape or form.  In fact they’re really popular right now at the state level.  So rather then look inward for ways to curb spending or be more efficient, let’s just tax the rich.  When is the last time, our federal government had layoffs, hiring freezes etc.  From a business perspective and imho, it’s mindless and lazy.   

Last edited by a moderator:
That can’t be true, Kamala promised no tax increases on anyone making less than $400,000?!?!?!?

They are not unique in any way shape or form.  In fact they’re really popular right now at the state level.  So rather then look inward for ways to curb spending o be more efficient, let’s just tax the rich.  When the last time, our federal government had layoffs, hiring freezes etc.  From a business perspective and imho, it’s mindless and lazy.   
Well, being unoriginal...does not make something mindless.  And your next thought that they are popular at the state level, seems to indicate there is thought in such tax policies knowing that they are popular elsewhere...therefore attempting them nationally could also be popular.

Id love to curb spending...any party to do this would be great....but lets face it, its not happening.  Government and business are so far different from each other...the comparison does not work out well.  So no, I don't think his policy is lazy or mindless...seems like its thought out as knowing they are not going to be able to cut spending enough anywhere (it would have to start with the largest parts of the budget like Military...and when you talk actual large spending cuts, they aren't popular with one side or the other either.

Users who are viewing this thread