What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans (1 Viewer)

We don't know who they were in contact with, but the ramifications are massive. Justin Jefferson was probably goign to be the #1 FAAB  pickup on waivers, but if the Vikings get shut down/he has COVID, now what? His team misses a week or he goes to IR-COVID for 3 weeks... gonna really depend on your league settings/rules.
Could be an entire lost fantasy week for Cook, Thielen, Jefferson, Henry, JJSS, Connor, Big Ben, Johnson, Janu, Watson, David Johnson, defenses, kickers, etc. 

With all the injuries already across the league, this could be a total disaster.

I think the answer is yes. I have doubts they would go this route, but if they do bump everyone once they can certainly do it twice. They had said they could start the season as late as sometime in October and still get 16 weeks and the playoffs in. So there is still *some* wiggle room theoretically. Otherwise this is my worst nightmare about this season come true. It's not going to be just these players we heard about today.
One year I think the NFL had 2 Bye Weeks in the season...1993 maybe? There was backlash about it. 

IF the Vikings come out of this clean (no positives today, tomorrow) and their game goes on as planned (huge if):

this should be a relatively easy scheduling fix.

Week 4 bye for PIT and TEN, game moves to week 7,

PIT/BAL from week 7 to Week 8

BAL bye from Week 8 to Week 7
Wonder what the league could possibly do to incentivize the Vikings to play this week if they are forced to miss 2 days of practice? Or maybe that was all already planned for and agreed to by the league in whatever contingency plan they created? They do have a contingency plan, right? RIGHT!?

they had to have thought of a plan besides closing the facilities WHEN numerous players tested positive.  the teams aren't living in bubbles so it was bound to happen.  

Wonder what the league could possibly do to incentivize the Vikings to play this week if they are forced to miss 2 days of practice? Or maybe that was all already planned for and agreed to by the league in whatever contingency plan they created? They do have a contingency plan, right? RIGHT!?
If Min/Hou can’t go this week, the schedule is all kinds of screwed.

Tuesday is generally an off day anyway right, so if they miss tomorrow, maybe they move the Min/Hou to Monday night?  Treat it like a hurricane delay game

The way I understood was that they were (summer) prepared to limp through the season as best they can, taking any games they can.

Players and their families plan around the bye weeks (visits, medical procedures, uneventful court dates etc) and the NFLPA only asked for byes to stay the same but we're otherwise as flexible as can be.

With this in mind, I think they cancel the Titans and Vikes games this week and go off of W-L record percentage later on.

The NFL has been phenomenal as far as covid. (Titans DC had it, wasn't at game) Very few cases, plan seemed as perfect as can be. 

Eight cases is a spike but IIRC the NFL considers 4000 regulars for games (players, coaches, refs, camera, trainers etc) around the league. 8 of 4000 is minimal.

They could surely change their minds and their could be a bye week n this and that but....I think with the second wave news, they'll stick with the take games when we can get it thinking

Maybe there's a chance these were false positives come tmrw and all is good (says an owner with D. Henry, J. Conner, W. Fuller in their starting lineup).

With this in mind, I think they cancel the Titans and Vikes games this week and go off of W-L record percentage later on.
It seems like this way of handling outbreaks would create some serious incentive problems later in the season.  Imagine it's Week 17 and the 49ers are clinging to a one-game lead in the division over Seattle, having already lost once to the Seahawks earlier in the season.  Shockingly, a couple of guys on San Francisco's practice squad test positive, meaning that we have to cancel Seahaws-at-Niners so San Francisco now wins the division and gets an extra bye week before the playoffs begin.  

And don't say that won't happen because Belichick probably already has a few designated make-sure-these-guys-get-Covid guys picked out.  

I think the games will go forward as long as virus is contained to just those 3 players and maybe even a handful more (and no Vikes' outbreak).

I think some competitive disadvantages were baked into the season and it will just have to be accepted. Heck, some home teams are playing in front of fans and some are not.

Fuller is on the Texans?  Are they impacted somehow?
Vikings were the Titans week 3 opponents. It is conceivable there is an outbreak among Vikings as well, as symptoms can take weeks to manifest even if an asymptomatic carrier.

so the Vikings are also shutting down all facilities & testing everyone. It’s TBD if they play this week AT HOU. 

No Vikings/Texans, no Fuller. 

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the league notified the Titans, Steelers, Vikings, and Texans that it may be forced to reschedule both contests for Week 4.

The league reportedly told the Steelers to proceed with game preparations against the Titans, which were forced to shut down its facilities until Saturday following eight new positive tests among the organization. Minnesota's facitilites, which provided 0 positive tests as of Tuesday afternoon, were also evacuated until further notice. The NFL is still discussing plans for postponement which include pushing both games to Monday/Tuesday night or rescheduling bye weeks to assist with games in Weeks 7 and 8. All ideas are on the table.

- Rotoworld
Also, can we please not get this ####### thread locked and try to somewhat stick to the evidence/science?

Last edited by a moderator:
if a game is cancelled our FFS league is considering putting every player on the bench so everyone gets a tie. Can't think of another "fair" outcome.

If they needed to push Steelers vs Titans out it would be fairly easy. They could play in week 7 when the Titans normally have a bye and push Steelers vs Ravens currently scheduled for week 7 with both teams having a bye in week 8 to playing that week.

No idea how they'd work the other game.

IF the Vikings come out of this clean (no positives today, tomorrow) and their game goes on as planned (huge if):

this should be a relatively easy scheduling fix.

Week 4 bye for PIT and TEN, game moves to week 7,

PIT/BAL from week 7 to Week 8

BAL bye from Week 8 to Week 7
absolutely nothing easy about it because this is almost certainly the 1st of many instances of this circumstance. then what?

i agree with those incredulous that the plan is to shut down team facilities over a handful (and a half) of positives.

what was the use of expanding rosters, liberalizing practice squad and IR rules if teams can't practice?

WTH NFL?  plan much?

absolutely nothing easy about it because this is almost certainly the 1st of many instances of this circumstance. then what?

i agree with those incredulous that the plan is to shut down team facilities over a handful (and a half) of positives.

what was the use of expanding rosters, liberalizing practice squad and IR rules if teams can't practice?

WTH NFL?  plan much?
I think it’s the initial response - but could be adjusted as things are assessed as the week goes on. 

WTH NFL?  plan much?
I believe I was clear that THIS particular scenario was relatively simple to fix, not that all of them are going to be.  MIN/HOU getting cancelled certainly would not be easy to reschedule.

All you can do at this point is take it on a case-by-case basis.

And yes, I agree that they didn’t do a great job in putting forth a schedule assuming no issues (staggered bye weeks, not clustering common opponents together like originally discussed)

I believe I was clear that THIS particular scenario was relatively simple to fix, not that all of them are going to be.  MIN/HOU getting cancelled certainly would not be easy to reschedule.

All you can do at this point is take it on a case-by-case basis.

And yes, I agree that they didn’t do a great job in putting forth a schedule assuming no issues (staggered bye weeks, not clustering common opponents together like originally discussed)
you were clear about that.

i emotionally, inappropriately reacted to the totality of the frustrating NFL response.

No way that works.

Do they make it a bye week for everyone again the next time it happens?
Nobody asked for my idea for a solution, but here it is anyway:

1. don't cancel any games unless a team has at least 10 players with COVID.

2. add make-up games at the end of the season if necessary. If the Titans or Steelers are out of the playoff hunt, or if they've sealed a playoff spot, then they don't play a make-up game.

Also, it's kind of dumb to shut down an entire facility. This isn't like a staph infection. There's very little evidence that COVID is transmitted through objects several hours after contact.

Also, it's kind of dumb to shut down an entire facility. This isn't like a staph infection. There's very little evidence that COVID is transmitted through objects several hours after contact.
It could be more to keep people away so that they don't spread the virus if they have it but are not yet symptomatic.

What if three of those 10 are the QB and both backup QBs?

Seems like not the most well-thought-out solution here, given we don’t know who’s infected. 

What if three of those 10 are the QB and both backup QBs?

Seems like not the most well-thought-out solution here, given we don’t know who’s infected. 
Nobody ever accused me of having the most thought-out thoughts!

Anyway, it doesn't have to be based on a hard number. I just think that if a team can field a full lineup (i.e., a starter and a backup at every position), then it should play.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that "as of now" the Titans' Week 4 game against the Steelers remains on for 1PM ET on Sunday. 

The Titans aren't even allowed back in their building until Saturday, but Pelissero's colleague Mike Garafolo reports that is not viewed as an impediment to playing. "Titans coaches have told players if they have to go without any work until Saturday, have a walkthrough then and play the Steelers Sunday then that's what they'll have to do," Garafolo reported. "No excuses." Provided there are no new cases, this actually is the best approach for the Titans and the NFL. Re-scheduling games would be remarkably complex, though a scenario does exist where it would not be overly difficult for Tennessee/Pittsburgh. The league simply does not want to have to already go down that road. Sit tight. The next few days of testing will tell the story. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 29, 2020, 1:19 PM ET

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

As of now, the #Titans-#Steelers and #Texans-#Vikings games are both on for Sunday. However, the NFL is evaluating the situation and will adjust if needed as more information is gathered. Teams are still working through contact tracing data, etc. A lot of moving parts.
Very fluid situation; if tracing starts showing a lot more infected then the game probably gets canceled/moved. If no more new infections, work on containing/tests but games go on. Things literally will change hour to hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody ever accused me of having the most thought-out thoughts!
Touché 

:)  

Anyway, it doesn't have to be based on a hard number. I just think that if a team can field a full lineup (i.e., a starter and a backup at every position), then it should play.
The issue is asymptomatic spread. It’s why the pandemic is such a problem to contain in general.

if someone has it and doesn’t know it, and the test doesn’t catch it, then they play football, everyone involved on both teams could conceivably get it. 

That’s what an interruption of play would be attempting to avoid. It’s hard to apply simple solutions to complex problems. 

Touché 

:)  

The issue is asymptomatic spread. It’s why the pandemic is such a problem to contain in general.

if someone has it and doesn’t know it, and the test doesn’t catch it, then they play football, everyone involved on both teams could conceivably get it. 

That’s what an interruption of play would be attempting to avoid. It’s hard to apply simple solutions to complex problems. 
Asymptomatic spread is unlikely.  If a player has no symptoms, and tests negative, they should still be able to play.  The issue is how this game will be handled in terms of practice time.  I fully agree if anyone tests positive then they should be immediately away from the team and all players tested multiple times.  I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier, I'm really hoping the testing today goes well.

Commissioners:  How are you handling this situation if the week is cancelled or moved for those 4 teams?  Is it just tough luck for anyone who owns those players?  If those games are rescheduled, is it possible to count those points towards week 4 in retrospect?

Vikings were the Titans week 3 opponents. It is conceivable there is an outbreak among Vikings as well, as symptoms can take weeks to manifest even if an asymptomatic carrier.

so the Vikings are also shutting down all facilities & testing everyone. It’s TBD if they play this week AT HOU. 

No Vikings/Texans, no Fuller. 
There is a difference between "testing positive" and "manifesting symptoms".  I believe it is the case that if you were exposed today, you should test positive in the next 3 to 5 days (assuming you were exposed sufficiently).  Then as you point out, it might take another 7 to 14 days before you actually start showing symptoms.  Or maybe 50-50 that you are positive but never show any symptoms, but can still be an asymptomatic carrier.  Then given their overall health, presumably less than 5% of positives develop serious symptoms, with 0.1% chance of a fatality.  For me personally, any time there is a situation where there is only a 1 in 1000 chance of dying, I tend to do everything I can to avoid that situation.

So assuming that these 8 cases are true positives, the assumption at the moment is that everyone on the field on Sunday (including officials, camera men, water boys, etc) for that game was exposed to it.  But if they are all tested daily this week, and everybody involved is truly isolated over the course of the week, we can safely assume that anyone that has zero positive tests by Saturday did not contract the virus from participating in this game.

It would not be at all surprising if there are additional positive tests between now and Saturday.  But if all those players have been isolated over the course of the week, it should still be good to go on Sunday for whatever number has not tested positive.  Then depending on what that number is, do you play the game or not?

omg - because of the title, I didn’t even realize this was all a hijack of the Titans team topic. I was responding to what I thought was a topic specific to the Titans steelers Vikings Texans news

sorry about that

I don't think it was originally a Titans thread. The whole first page is devoted to discussing various NFL players on the COVID list.
I think you are correct, but I really don’t want to get suspended again so I’ll make this topic about whatever Joe wantsit to be about. 
:unsure:

Jeff-LJ-Lloyd@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd

Thiskid just doesnt freaking get it

VIDEO: Tennessee Titans rookie Isaiah Wilson seen partying over New Years weekend

NASHVILLE — Stop me if you have read this before: Tennessee Titans (10-5) rookie Isaiah Wilson has been an abject disaster this year. New video evidence of the right tackle partying over New Year’s weekend serves as the latest in a long list of ills...

... Wilson’s latest infraction comes one day before Tennessee is preparing to try and win its first AFC South title since 2008. The Titans will travel to Houston on Sunday to face the Texans (4-11) in Week 17...
Go to link for video and rest of the read.

Jeff-LJ-Lloyd@Jeff_LJ_Lloyd

Thiskid just doesnt freaking get it

VIDEO: Tennessee Titans rookie Isaiah Wilson seen partying over New Years weekend

Go to link for video and rest of the read.
He needs to hit someone, has all year. Let him. Put him in on GL or practice as a DE on PS ....I don't care just let him hit someone.

He's the meanest looking tackle I can ever recall seeing. It was or it is exciting to imagine a beast leading the way for Henry. 

I get why they drafted him but we all know there are these overly aggressive types in the sport. They can't sit still like little kids and it just is what it is.

If he is cut and signs somewhere, they'll use him in practice then preseason and he'll be getting rid of that aggressive behavior and probably do well.

As is, I just pray the kid stays out of trouble til next summer. I'm afraid hell throw all that talent away

Users who are viewing this thread