What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 In-Season IDP News, Notes and Updates. (1 Viewer)

umjaker said:
Is Vander Esch back this week? I see he is practicing in full and has a possibility for Monday Night, but haven't seen the Cowboys remove him from IR.
Cowboys activated LB Leighton Vander Esch (collarbone) from injured reserve.

Monday will be LVE's first game action since he initially fractured his collarbone during the first quarter of the team's season opener. Gehlken adds that Vander Esch is "likely to be eased into action" and could work mostly in passing situations and on non-base personnel. It's a massive upgrade for Dallas' front-seven ahead of Monday night's tilt against the Cardinals.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Oct 19, 2020, 2:10 PM ET

Leighton Vander Esch was glad to be back from his broken collarbone. “My body feels wonderful, to be honest with everybody,” he said. “I feel great, I feel fast, my legs feel good, my upper body feels good, my collarbone's healed. I'm getting my strength back. It's a constant, everyday process. I think I'm doing things good, but I think I need to tackle better. I haven't played a full game in I don't even know how long. I need to tackle better. That's one area that I need to improve on.”

Good news about Vander Esch. I just picked up the Dallas defense in two friendly leagues. They're playing WAS, who looks abominable on offense. He's already rostered for IDP purposes in my IDP league. That's for certain, and I'm not sure he's a dynasty buy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ngakoue traded to Baltimore.  I would have to assume this only increases his value as he should have more opportunity to play with a lead and go after the QB. 

Ngakoue traded to Baltimore.  I would have to assume this only increases his value as he should have more opportunity to play with a lead and go after the QB. 
Do we assume this guy is a problem child? Really strange to see MIN take a loss on the deal only a few months after acquiring him. 

I agree it's a bump to his value. 

Baltimore is a bad landing spot for DE.  Unless he's standing up now, think there's actually a bump down in value. 

Baltimore is a bad landing spot for DE.  Unless he's standing up now, think there's actually a bump down in value. 
I thought that with Campbell in the off-season but now it looks nickel/dime is king and BAL really needs a full time DE there. Wolfe has missed time and isn't great, anyway. Campbell is long in the tooth. Snap counts show only those 2 as DEs with lots of DL and LB getting snaps. A good, young DE could easily rocket up the snap count ladder and BAL will put up points and keep the D in position to pass rush. To top it all off, he wasn't doing a damn thing in MIN so the only way to go is up. 

Flying Elvis said:
Do we assume this guy is a problem child? Really strange to see MIN take a loss on the deal only a few months after acquiring him. 

I agree it's a bump to his value. 
Fair question if Minnesota doesn't trade anyone else, but I think there is more to come. 

For a third and fifth-rounder? Sounds like they wanted rid of the guy.
If they don't do anything else the next 2 weeks then I see this point. But they're 1-5 and their only win was over another 1-5 team. This trade came at the same time as Danielle Hunter's season officially coming to an end. Look at the rest of their defense - where do they win? Look at the offense - where do they win? The NFL has not decided on a 2021 cap, but at $185M in commitments this team is already near their max spend so they lack the means to get better. 

This team is in purgatory. Usually with a veteran GM/HC combo their heels are dug in trying to save their jobs (and I wouldn't rule that out just yet!), but this embracing of reality would be a surprisingly correct course of action. This team isn't winning anything meaningful in 2020, so make moves with the focus on 2021.

I thought that with Campbell in the off-season but now it looks nickel/dime is king and BAL really needs a full time DE there. Wolfe has missed time and isn't great, anyway. Campbell is long in the tooth. Snap counts show only those 2 as DEs with lots of DL and LB getting snaps. A good, young DE could easily rocket up the snap count ladder and BAL will put up points and keep the D in position to pass rush. To top it all off, he wasn't doing a damn thing in MIN so the only way to go is up. 
He had 5 sacks in 6 games including a string of week 2-5 with at least one sack in each game.  That is very solid production for a DE.  His tackle numbers are a bit low at 12 tackles in 6 games but that isn't uncommon for sack guys.  I think he was producing quite well so far.

Realizing this morning that he's still on the (reduced) franchise tag. The move is still a weird loss on a young guy, but they must have seen enough to not want to pay the big price tag in 2021. 
He is on just the 1 yr tag and expecting a huge bump in salary next year that they don't have cap space for.  This move had nothing to do with his ability and all to do with their current cap hell situation and that they are 1-5 and not really going anywhere.  The more surprising move was that they traded for him in the first place with the cap situation they were in.  It was a pure rental situation based on the salary involved and once they were out of contention they salvaged what they could before he was going to leave anyway.  The only oddity was that if they kept him and we signed somewhere else I think they would have received a 3rd rounder back as compensation so this really was a wash in assets by trading him now.

https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1319638688238796802?s=20

Kislingbury always seems to have the post answering the question I have about the types of alignments a team runs.

Best summary IMO: https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1319641469091762177/photo/1 - the 5-number description is IDL - Edge - ILB - CB - S, and 22232 is their most common alignment by a wide margin (what we think of as a classic 4-3* nickel)

I disagree. He put up great numbers the 1st 3 games of the season and has put up 4T/1A vs DET, 2T/8A vs LAC and 2T vs CAR. Those are meh stats imo because all 3 have been good LB matchups.
In my scoring he has been good in all but today's game with double digits in each game.  Our scoring is big play and gives pts for QB hits as well.  He is still rushing the qb which gets those points for our league.  Averaging over 10ppg even after today. 

Anyone watch the Chiefs and have opinions on Willie Gay?  Started this past weekend and had a decent stat line.   His snap counts have been up and down, so not sure what to make of it. 

Anyone watch the Chiefs and have opinions on Willie Gay?  Started this past weekend and had a decent stat line.   His snap counts have been up and down, so not sure what to make of it. 
Yeah, I follow Gay Jr. with interest because I drafted him in the fourth round of a dynasty league. Here's his snap count. I think he's playing strong side linebacker, if I'm not mistaken. At least, that's where they had him last I checked an in-depth blurb on him.

He was in on 50% of the team's snaps last game, 33% in Week Five, 6% in Week Six. His usage, to put it mildly, really varies from game to game. Last game he was good for three tackles, one assist, and two passes defended. In Week Five he had a sack, five tackles, an assist, and a QB hit.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GayJWi00/fantasy/2020

I don't personally have an opinion on him with respect to this year or how KC uses their linebackers. I just don't know enough about the team tendencies or how he is doing this year. All accounts are generally positive, and his snap count is increasing from the first four games, but who knows, really? Every publication insists KC needs help at linebacker. That's what I'm hoping for.

Cole Holcomb WFT returned last weekend and had 5T 1A 1TFL on 63% of snaps. This weekend he jumped to 70% of snaps and put up 3T 1A 1SK 1TFL 1PD 1INT. Owned 4% on MFL. 

Kamal Martin GB returned and put up 6T 1TFL on 43% of snaps. Barnes had 40% and the Smiths are in the 70s so I'm not sure there's any reliability to be had with Martin but his role could grow. 

Malik Reed making an impact the past two weeks. Playing 85% of snaps. the Broncos May of found something here. He’s had back-to-back 2 sack games. 

Cole Holcomb WFT returned last weekend and had 5T 1A 1TFL on 63% of snaps. This weekend he jumped to 70% of snaps and put up 3T 1A 1SK 1TFL 1PD 1INT. Owned 4% on MFL. 

Kamal Martin GB returned and put up 6T 1TFL on 43% of snaps. Barnes had 40% and the Smiths are in the 70s so I'm not sure there's any reliability to be had with Martin but his role could grow. 
Barnes injured his shoulder. Haven’t seen an update.

Thanks, wasn't aware. Til I read this just now I was considering shopping my backups because I was becoming more comfortable with him filling that void. 
I don't think that is a bad idea depending on who they are.    Packers were high on Martin in the pre season and talk of him being the guy until he got injured.  This week will probably be more telling so maybe hold off a week and see what happens. 

Carlos Dunlap in Seattle has me intrigued.  I still believe he has something left in the tank and if a team can get it out of him, it may be the Seahawks.

Gerry to IR in Philly. We going to see some extended time for Davion Taylor? He was a third round pick, but has really not done anything so far and not like the philly LBers are a dominant force. 

Gerry to IR in Philly. We going to see some extended time for Davion Taylor? He was a third round pick, but has really not done anything so far and not like the philly LBers are a dominant force. 
It's Singleton for now. Hopefully Taylor gets some run, but I'm preparing as if he doesn't get an idp meaningful workload til 21. His performance in a part time role could certainly expedite that process, but he's obviously gotta get on the field first. 

It's Singleton for now. Hopefully Taylor gets some run, but I'm preparing as if he doesn't get an idp meaningful workload til 21. His performance in a part time role could certainly expedite that process, but he's obviously gotta get on the field first. 
Is Singleton expected to get the same number of snaps Gerry had?

:thumbup:   Gerry will be a RFA after this season, so Taylor's time will come, probably in 2021

Anyone watch the Steelers game?   Spillane put up huge points, but I read a comment elsewhere about how soft the Steelers looked in the middle against the run.

ETA: And yes, he was on my bench.

The Future Champs said:
Anyone watch the Steelers game?   Spillane put up huge points, but I read a comment elsewhere about how soft the Steelers looked in the middle against the run.

ETA: And yes, he was on my bench.
This probably answers your question - Avery Williamson traded to Pittsburgh.

Now, can Blake Cashman actually stay on the field...

What can we expect from Williamson on the Steelers?  Does he start right away?  Will he be their starting MLB?  Will his number of tackles increase or decrease with the Steelers?  With the Jets their D was on the field all game so he had more tackle opportunities. 

Dre Greenlaw the obvious winner, but what happens in New Orleans?

ETA: Kiko Alonso heading to SF in the trade is confusing.

Dre Greenlaw the obvious winner, but what happens in New Orleans?

ETA: Kiko Alonso heading to SF in the trade is confusing.
I think Kiko was likely to dump salary and clear a roster spot, while providing depth since the niners still look thin at LB. Just my guess. 

First week back for Darius Leonard and Okereke had 79% of snaps with Walker at 43%.   

Harbaugh is “optimistic” he will 
Does this mean he's playing this week?

Ravens activated LB Patrick Queen from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Queen was one of six players who were close contacts with Marlon Humphrey. The Ravens also activated S DeShon Elliott, LB L.J. Fort, LB Malik Harrison, CB Terrell Bonds, and LB Tyus Bowser from the COVID-19 list.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:49 AM ET

Does this mean he's playing this week?

Ravens activated LB Patrick Queen from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Queen was one of six players who were close contacts with Marlon Humphrey. The Ravens also activated S DeShon Elliott, LB L.J. Fort, LB Malik Harrison, CB Terrell Bonds, and LB Tyus Bowser from the COVID-19 list.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:49 AM ET
Don’t think it is confirmed yet

Users who are viewing this thread