What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1975 #1. Bohemian Rhapsody (2 Viewers)

I had a family tragedy a few weeks back and haven't followed the thread and had no intention of doing the next 100 from 75 but now I'll have to look into it.  I'm sure their is meat on the 75 next-100 bone.

Not saying Momma Mia couldn't crack a top-100 for the year but outside of an off-broadway estrogen induced crowd I don't think it gets within a hand grenade toss of top-12.
Sorry to hear that.

I’ve been sketching a next 100 given what’s going to be left off. But I’ll defer to you if you’re up for it since you came up with the concept.
Dibs on #201-300.

Sorry to hear that.

I’ve been sketching a next 100 given what’s going to be left off. But I’ll defer to you if you’re up for it since you came up with the concept.
No, no, no.  You take this one.  Did a quick glance and their are a ton of songs especially if you are fair to yourself and take the last quarter of 1974 and look at singles released within the time frame of September 74 and including all of 75.

No, no, no.  You take this one.  Did a quick glance and their are a ton of songs especially if you are fair to yourself and take the last quarter of 1974 and look at singles released within the time frame of September 74 and including all of 75.
Thanks. I was actually going to stick to '75 itself, with these notes:

1. Songs that appeared elsewhere (usually the UK) earlier but weren't released in the US until 1975 will count.

2. Tim has occasionally said "I like X, but it's too obscure so I didn't put it on the list." I will have no constraints re obscurity. 

10. Heart “Magic Man” (from Dreamboat Annie)

https://youtu.be/3vlAdMeZSfw

“Magic Man” begins with a single high note from guitarist Roger Fisher that is instantly recognizable, and then we’re off and running into one of the best rock songs of the 70s. 
The two outstanding elements are Ann Wilson’s vocals, which are as good as rock gets, and Fisher’s guitar. But there is also the song’s theme, from a woman’s point of view, revolutionary for hard rock at the time which was largely so male dominated. And it rocks. 

10. Heart “Magic Man” (from Dreamboat Annie)

https://youtu.be/3vlAdMeZSfw

“Magic Man” begins with a single high note from guitarist Roger Fisher that is instantly recognizable, and then we’re off and running into one of the best rock songs of the 70s. 
The two outstanding elements are Ann Wilson’s vocals, which are as good as rock gets, and Fisher’s guitar. But there is also the song’s theme, from a woman’s point of view, revolutionary for hard rock at the time which was largely so male dominated. And it rocks. 
Incredible. I also love the analog synth interludes played by Howard Leese.

The entire Dreamboat Annie album rules, and Magic Man is one of the best ones on there.  Definitely one of the best songs that Heart ever did.

9. Bob Dylan “Idiot Wind” (from Blood on the Tracks)

https://youtu.be/Ex05XUddWMk

So here’s the other meanest song ever written. IMO, even crueler than “Death On Two Legs” because it’s so personal. Dylan goes after his ex-wife in the most cutting way possible “it’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe”- but of course he does it in the form of a brilliant folk rock song, one of his very greatest. 

8. Paul Simon “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover” (from Still Crazy After All These Years

https://youtu.be/ABXtWqmArUU

All discussion of this song must begin with the drum roll by jazz drummer Steve Gadd. I know very little about drums but seemingly everyone who does raves about this as one of the greatest in all of popular music history. 
Beyond that drum roll, this is a very smart, catchy folk rock song, one of Simon’s greatest, though its lyrics are quite a bit chauvinist and may be dated at this point. 

I'm guessing #1 is either the obvious Floyd, the obvious Dylan or Wayne & Garth's favorite song. 

Last edited by a moderator:
8. Paul Simon “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover” (from Still Crazy After All These Years

https://youtu.be/ABXtWqmArUU

All discussion of this song must begin with the drum roll by jazz drummer Steve Gadd. I know very little about drums but seemingly everyone who does raves about this as one of the greatest in all of popular music history. 
"50 Ways" is actually two 'songs' interleaved. In one of those two 'songs', Steve Gadd's drums (well, his snare and toms) play the songs melody, while the song's time is kept with Gadd's kick drum (bass) together with Simon's acoustic guitar. While playing melody on his drum kit, Gadd's drum roll fills the sonic role that sustained note(s) on a guitar or keyboard would normally fill.

The second 'song' interleaved with Gadd's melody starts up as Simon songs "... slip out the back, Jack". Gadd immediately shift from playing melody to sitting in the pocket as bassist Tony Levin enters stage right and commences to funk up the chorus.

Gadd's use of the drum roll as melody is rare in popular music outside of drum solos. Another example would be Ringo Starr's drumming on "Come Together".

"50 Ways" is actually two 'songs' interleaved. In one of those two 'songs', Steve Gadd's drums (well, his snare and toms) play the songs melody, while the song's time is kept with Gadd's kick drum (bass) together with Simon's acoustic guitar. While playing melody on his drum kit, Gadd's drum roll fills the sonic role that sustained note(s) on a guitar or keyboard would normally fill.

The second 'song' interleaved with Gadd's melody starts up as Simon songs "... slip out the back, Jack". Gadd immediately shift from playing melody to sitting in the pocket as bassist Tony Levin enters stage right and commences to funk up the chorus.

Gadd's use of the drum roll as melody is rare in popular music outside of drum solos. Another example would be Ringo Starr's drumming on "Come Together".
Great explanation, thanks. 

Gadd could do it all. His drum work on Aja is even more legendary.

7. Heart “Crazy on You” (from Dreamboat Annie)

https://youtu.be/OZuW6BH_Vak

Two Heart songs in the top ten? Well, yeah. This one starts off with Nancy Wilson’s acoustic guitar opening which might be the best acoustic opening to a rock song ever (for me only “Over the Hills and Far Away” rivals it). We then get Fisher’s electric and the song really begins. As always Ann’s vocals are excellent and on the chorus she really shows her range, going where very few singers can. Superlative. 

Nothing wrong with a couple of Heart songs towards the top.  Two of their iconic songs along with Barracuda.  

Yep, I am good with two Heart songs being this high given how great Dreamboat Annie is and how iconic both songs are. I slightly prefer Magic Man, but Crazy on You is all kinds of great as well.

Doug B said:

Valerie Simpson from "Ashford & Simpson" and Phoebe Snow sing backup vocals. 

Tony Soprano used one of Phoebe's songs to enrage his sister. 

6. Bob Dylan “Tangled Up in Blue” (from Blood on the Tracks)

https://youtu.be/QKcNyMBw818

“Tangled Up in Blue” is one of the greatest love songs ever written. On my own list of Bob Dylan songs, I rank it #2, only behind “Like a Rolling Stone”. Beyond its masterful lyrics is the performance; Dylan’s singing (just one element) has never sounded so assured before or since. 
It would truly take 5 amazing tunes from 1975 for me to rank this classic at #6. They’re coming up. 

Jungleland mops the floor with Thunder Road, but it’s a good song nonetheless. 
My sentiments exactly, but I understand some may feel otherwise. As mentioned upthread, I really don't like Springsteen, but even I'll readily admit that "Jungleland" is special.

timschochet said:
7. Heart “Crazy on You” 
I found out first-hand this title is true to life if you cold-call Ann Wilson.

(From my last 'Next 100 LIST from the year 1979)

Ann went crazy on me.

14.  Straight On - Heart

14.  Straight On - Heart 

Released September 1978

Smathers side story. 

While working at a pizza joint in the mid-80s we had an Aussie with curly-flowing blonde hair and an ever-tan who made all sorts of wild claims and one day a Heart song came on the jukebox and he goes on about how he was a friend of Ann Wilson so I immediately state BS.  

He casually said he had her number in his wallet so I say 'OK wise guy, call her'.

He says 'OK' pulls out the number and dials and then hands me the phone.

It was Ann Wilson and she was PISSED.

I was like, 'Ah um, is this Ann?  And she just ripped into me and started screaming asking for the Aussie guy (I forget his name).  He was like well these people didn't believe, and all we could hear was Ann F'ng screaming at that guy.  LOL

One guess what I think of every time I hear a Heart song.  Lol.

4. Led Zeppelin “Kashmir” (from Physical Graffiti

https://youtu.be/sfR_HWMzgyc

So the question isn’t, is this a great song? We can all agree that it is. The question is: is this the best Led Zeppelin song ever? 

Personally I rank it #2 behind “When the Levee Breaks.” Others, including the surviving band members, rank it #1. Most fans have it behind “Stairway to Heaven”. No matter, it’s pretty high up there. 

13. Fleetwood Mac “Rhiannon” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/jQAK6sVovUk

There is something so incredibly sexy about young Stevie Nicks in this video, even though she also appears to be completely drugged out. 
For me though what makes this song so timeless is that opening guitar riff. 
I'd heard this song so many times but never knew its title until a little while back when Apple Jack told me he guaranteed I had heard the song "Rhiannon." Knowing what they're saying just makes this awful.

Chopped and screwed El-P review of this track:

Another deejay yells lick the balls.

Stevie looks...

Hollywood off the bus ####ed

So the question isn’t, is this a great song? We can all agree that it is. The question is: is this the best Led Zeppelin song ever? 

Personally I rank it #2 behind “When the Levee Breaks.” Others, including the surviving band members, rank it #1. Most fans have it behind “Stairway to Heaven”. No matter, it’s pretty high up there. 
Ocean's Twelve.

So let the sun beat down across my face...

I like Kashmir a lot, but once the shine wore off of the "guitar played with a violin bow" gimmick for me, I realized that there are many LZ songs that are better. But I get that it's still a beast of a song for many and get why it is a number 4 here.

5 songs better than Stairway (and Whole Lotta Love for that matter):

• When the Levee Breaks
  • Immigrant Song
  • Kashmir
  • Black Dog
  • Rock and Roll
My favorite probably depends on my mood but Immigrant Song may be my #1.

timschochet said:

The period in the British Invasion sentence. Any week then was more dense with revelation than any decade now and, just when we thought we were finished being turned on, wigged out, jacked up and run over by musical experience, THIS was the song that, by startling & amazing us one more time, said "That's a wrap, but it never has to end" I'll play the age card here and testify that, hearing this as an adult in the music business, Kashmir rocked my world like Elvis, Beatles, Prince and no other. It even turned out to be Diddyproof. Those who dont see it @ a number more primary than 1 dont know Diddysquat..

Users who are viewing this thread