What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Woodward's new Trump book "Rage" (1 Viewer)

Why would who agree? They're his recordings, it's his story and it's 100% factual. This isn't Russia where the government can say "Nyet, Comrade." 
I think the question really is, why would Trump agree to the interviews in the first place. He had no obligation to taped interviews with anyone.
Some theories:

1. people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder are unable to distinguish between "good attention" and "bad attention". All press is good press.

2. it's possible that Trump thought he could easily dismiss anything negative by simply proclaiming, "Fake news!"

3. it's possible that Trump forgot that he was being recorded.

4. it's possible that Trump sincerely believes that "playing it down" is good for the country.

Some theories:

1. people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder are unable to distinguish between "good attention" and "bad attention". All press is good press.

4. it's possible that Trump sincerely believes that "playing it down" is good for the country.
I think 1 and 4 covers it. Almost the same thing really. If your narcissism is that inflated, then you think what is good for you personally is what is good for the country. 

I'd like to explore this one for a sec:

Are we to believe that President Trump is averse to causing a panic, when he also hypes an immigrant caravan approaching the border?  

How about when he "scares" the suburbs that Black people might be coming?

What about scaring voters into thinking ANTIFA is here to burn and loot their way to power?

Some theories:

2. it's possible that Trump thought he could easily dismiss anything negative by simply proclaiming, "Fake news!"

3. it's possible that Trump forgot that he was being recorded.

Replace country with Trump and his buddies stock holdings and you might have something there.

The pushback is "didn't we all basically 'know' this already"? He's obviously been downplaying the virus since the beginning. Is the point that he absolutely knew it was a serious threat in January? It seems like that was "well-known" too. Will tapes in his own words make that much of a difference, or will this be largely blown over? 
I think I said this a while back but I'm struggling to think of anything that could happen between now and the election that would cause me to not vote for Biden (assuming he's still the nominee).  I think that can be extrapolated to probably about 95-99% of the people planning to vote.  Trump supporters are ride or die with him at this point.  A lot of Biden's support is just folks wanting Trump voted out.  If there's undecideds still out that they do plan to vote for one or the other of these guys I'd love to hear from them - what could they possibly be waiting to hear from them?

I think I said this a while back but I'm struggling to think of anything that could happen between now and the election that would cause me to not vote for Biden (assuming he's still the nominee).  I think that can be extrapolated to probably about 95-99% of the people planning to vote.  Trump supporters are ride or die with him at this point.  A lot of Biden's support is just folks wanting Trump voted out.  If there's undecideds still out that they do plan to vote for one or the other of these guys I'd love to hear from them - what could they possibly be waiting to hear from them?
You're speaking about people like my wife who don't follow politics (or the news in general).  Other than hearing everyone else's opinions on current events, they have spent little effort in forming an opinion of who to vote for.  Since they've distanced themselves from the noise the last 3 years, the events of the last few week will be especially important.

Replace country with Trump and his buddies stock holdings and you might have something there.
Well, this plus his reelection bid and I think that nails it if the question is why he downplayed it.  Doesn't explain why he admitted he downplayed it.  I think of scooter's suggestions it has to be 1 or 3 - or a 5th option that has to do with his memory.

Everyone of us who has been impacted in any way by this should be offended that he intentionally downplayed it.  But I no longer have faith that a large number of people care about anything but their side winning so I'm not surprised in the least.

You're speaking about people like my wife who don't follow politics (or the news in general).  Other than hearing everyone else's opinions on current events, they have spent little effort in forming an opinion of who to vote for.  Since they've distanced themselves from the noise the last 3 years, the events of the last few week will be especially important.
You are probably right and I'm overstating it - there is a large number of people who are centrist/politically unaffiliated and within that group there's probably a big number that don't really follow things closely.  For people like that I do hope they pay attention to this and realize we could have done so much better than we have.

Why on earth would you agree to let Woodward release hours of audio recordings 2 months before an election? Just ridiculous.
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" Trump remarked at a campaign stop at Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa. "It's, like, incredible."

The timing is exactly what it seems. There’s a lot of people who view it very important to make sure that he doesn’t get another 4 years. It’s being released to maximize the damage because the lifespan of damning stories against Trump is weeks, days or sometimes only hours. It would have been forgotten about already if he published the book months ago.

Get used to it, this is probably not the last it happens before November. I would not be surprised to see some of the generals and other high ranking former officials come forward by name in the coming weeks. It will just take one to come forward and several others will follow.

This slipped under the all covid related news, but apparently Trump also bragged about a secret nuclear program in his interviews. 

Link

Who knows what else he talks about with Putin in all their private meetings. 

This slipped under the all covid related news, but apparently Trump also bragged about a secret nuclear program in his interviews. 

Link

Who knows what else he talks about with Putin in all their private meetings. 

It's likely it was the W76-2 warhead which was announced in the 2018 Nuclear Posture Review and was deployed in December, 2019. Fits the timeline of the eighteen interviews he did with Woodward. It would not be especially surprising to learn he was wowed and amazed how MIRVs work; it is shocking how little he knew understood about the nuclear triad or our offensive capabilities before he became PotUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
@realDonaldTrump

The Woodward book is a scam. I don’t talk the way I am quoted. If I did I would not have been elected President. These quotes were made up. The author uses every trick in the book to demean and belittle. I wish the people could see the real facts - and our country is doing GREAT!

7:32 AM · Sep 7, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

No, seriously. Two years ago. He must have forgotten when he did the eighteen interviews with Woodward less than 1.5 years later.

(I know, he doesn't actually write all of his Tweets...it was probably a staffer...point remains)

@realDonaldTrump

The Woodward book is a scam. I don’t talk the way I am quoted. If I did I would not have been elected President. These quotes were made up. The author uses every trick in the book to demean and belittle. I wish the people could see the real facts - and our country is doing GREAT!

7:32 AM · Sep 7, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

No, seriously. Two years ago. He must have forgotten when he did the eighteen interviews with Woodward less than 1.5 years later.

(I know, he doesn't actually write all of his Tweets...it was probably a staffer...point remains)
Huh? There are tapes. Am I missing something?

Biff84 said:
The timing is exactly what it seems. There’s a lot of people who view it very important to make sure that he doesn’t get another 4 years. It’s being released to maximize the damage because the lifespan of damning stories against Trump is weeks, days or sometimes only hours. It would have been forgotten about already if he published the book months ago.

Get used to it, this is probably not the last it happens before November. I would not be surprised to see some of the generals and other high ranking former officials come forward by name in the coming weeks. It will just take one to come forward and several others will follow.
Except some interviews were taking place in July so would have been hard to publish the book months ago.

Except some interviews were taking place in July so would have been hard to publish the book months ago.
And its almost as if publishing a book is not an immediate process.  Especially involving some things talked about on there that probably had to go through certain scrutiny for national security purposes as well.

The Dreaded Marco said:
I believe he did but it hasn't made much of a difference on the outpatient front lines where I live and work. We're 7 months into this and we still cannot purchase N95 masks for my outpatient pediatric practice.  None of my friends and colleagues in similar practices can either.  And it's not due to a lack of trying----we attempt to do so multiple times a week.   

Obviously the ER and inpatient providers caring for the sickest and hospitalized COVID patients need these masks first as their exposure to the virus is far greater.  But it's been 7 months.  If the DPA was truly effective and prioritized, we would be swimming in N95 masks by now.  This is unacceptable and pathetic.  Given the masks I am forced to use, I'm very surprised I have not yet contracted COVID 19.
That’s kind of crazy. I’ve been working with some community colleges and universities lately doing fit testing, and while they are having to buy ones that might not have the same name recognition, they have definitely been able to get enough for their dental and nursing students and faculty.

Doing some quickly Googling, they’re definitely out there and available. Not cheap at all (seems like most are about $5/mask) but they’re out there.

Listen you can blame the used car salesman for selling you a car with terrible brakes that will get you in a accident quickly because he wanted you to feel good about the car.  but if you are either too lazy, too stupid, or just too willingly ignorant to not look up the car on Carfax to begin with then you need to take responsibility as well

That is what happened in 2016 and will probably happen in 2020

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

50m

Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, why didn’t he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn’t he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!

I'm losing track.  Is the current Trump supporter argument that this is fake news and he didn't say those things, or is it that he did say those things and those things are/were perfectly acceptable things to say?

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

50m

Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, why didn’t he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn’t he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!

Filed under: There is ALWAYS a tweet

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump · Mar 1, 2013

Only the Obama WH can get away with attacking Bob Woodward.

Also:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Kim Jong Un is in good health. Never underestimate him!

Jong Un is probably dead, and Trump does not want to cause a panic...

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

50m

Has Woodward commented one way or the other on what Trump said?  I've not seen anything so far that gives his take on the quotes.  Is there something in the book that shows that Woodward thought it was "bad or dangerous"?

I'm losing track.  Is the current Trump supporter argument that this is fake news and he didn't say those things, or is it that he did say those things and those things are/were perfectly acceptable things to say?
I watched a few minutes of Laura Ingraham last night and she's definitely going with the latter - to the extent that she's championing the president for not wanting to cause panic and keep our economy from failing. 

I'm assuming this is now the talking point. 

Yes

AND at the same time that Woodward is responsible for lots of people dying from COVID-19 by not releasing his book before now
This one I really don't get.  How can "Woodward withholding this led to thousands of deaths" and "Trump was right to say and do what he did" both be possible?  Obviously, all but Trump sycophants see that these two beliefs directly contradict each other, right?

This one I really don't get.  How can "Woodward withholding this led to thousands of deaths" and "Trump was right to day and do what he did" both be possible?  Obviously, all but Trump sycophants see that these two beliefs directly contradict each other, right?
I think that they are saying either:

-If Woodward didn't release the info, it must not have been that bad.  Therefore, Trump was justified in what he did.

-If Trump is at fault, so is Woodward, so it's not all Trump's fault, so what's the big deal.

This one I really don't get.  How can "Woodward withholding this led to thousands of deaths" and "Trump was right to day and do what he did" both be possible?  Obviously, all but Trump sycophants see that these two beliefs directly contradict each other, right?
I would say so, yes, but @John Blutarsky thought your post hilarious so perhaps he does not agree.

I think you are correct that the majority of people are set on their vote right now.  However, there are quite a few voters in the middle that can be swayed one way or the other.  I predict Biden makes an excuse not to debate Trump because if he does debate Trump his cognitive disabilities will likely push undecided voters to Trump.
Did you watch the Republican "debates" in the primaries last time around? Trump doesn't debate- he resorts to name calling and bullying and dodging questions. Biden has nothing to gain from getting on the stage with that nonsense.

That’s kind of crazy. I’ve been working with some community colleges and universities lately doing fit testing, and while they are having to buy ones that might not have the same name recognition, they have definitely been able to get enough for their dental and nursing students and faculty.

Doing some quickly Googling, they’re definitely out there and available. Not cheap at all (seems like most are about $5/mask) but they’re out there.
We rolled the dice in early March when we had nothing but regular surgical masks.  We spent $4000 for 1000 KN95s from China.  They are crap.  No better than a surgical mask.

Our state Health Dept. did send us one box of KN95s that are pretty decent.  But they're supposed to be single use masks to be discarded after each patient visit.  I have to wear mine for every patient (20-30/day) for 10-14 days straight in order to make my allotment last.  We have to guess which patients are most likely to have COVID, but now with wide community spread and asymptomatic illness that is fruitless so I wear mine for every patient. 

As for legitimate N95s we've had no luck.

I think you are correct that the majority of people are set on their vote right now.  However, there are quite a few voters in the middle that can be swayed one way or the other.  I predict Trump makes an excuse not to debate Biden because if he does debate Biden his cognitive disabilities will likely push undecided voters to Biden.

I watched a few minutes of Laura Ingraham last night and she's definitely going with the latter - to the extent that she's championing the president for not wanting to cause panic and keep our economy from failing
ummm

I think you are correct that the majority of people are set on their vote right now.  However, there are quite a few voters in the middle that can be swayed one way or the other.  I predict Biden makes an excuse not to debate Trump because if he does debate Trump his cognitive disabilities will likely push undecided voters to Trump.
I predict Biden is chomping at the bit to debate Trump . Trump has his own health/  "cognitive disabilities" lately.   I would also add that if Biden and his people dont have numerous examples of  times Trump has went out of his way to CAUSE panic when Trump inevitably doubles down on not wanting to cause panic during the debates  Biden  should be kicking himself for not taking that opening and running with it and the staffers should be fired.  

I predict that your prediction is incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread