What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Police Just Stepped Down, Walked Off, Retired En Masse In Rochester, N.Y. (1 Viewer)

What I find interesting is that the same exact thread title could have been generated by a left-leaning or right-leaning person, each with equal amount of agitated tone.

Top six highest-ranking police officers resign, mayor calls it "unexpected."

Gee, wonder if your local ANTIFA and the mayor's investigation and compliance with them has anything to do with it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/rochester-police-chief-entire-command-staff-retire-suddenly/story?id=72884253
Four of them did not "resign".  They "retired".  I wonder (not really) if that was an effort to cash in on pensions before being fired for cause?

The other two stepped down to lower positions and did not "leave" the police force.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this even mean?:

"We look forward to securing justice for Mr. Prude and to having Rochester leaders do the hard work needed to address issues of systemic racism and training protocols in the police department."

They really think saying, yeah we have systemic racism.  Let's have some training.  And then everything is OK.  Having a black chief step down is going to fix the problem.  These idiots are insane.  

"We look forward to securing justice for Mr. Prude and to having Rochester leaders do the hard work needed to address issues of systemic racism and training protocols in the police department."

They really think saying, yeah we have systemic racism.  Let's have some training.  And then everything is OK.  Having a black chief step down is going to fix the problem.  These idiots are insane.  
That statement came from the family's attorney.

I don’t know what the family wants but is it inaccurate to say the police got caught lying about what happened? I honestly don’t know but I thought I read that. If so, they should step down. 

I don’t know what the family wants but is it inaccurate to say the police got caught lying about what happened? I honestly don’t know but I thought I read that. If so, they should step down. 
I started a thread on this. It is inaccurate to say the police lied. The cops notified the mayor. The state AG was informed to investigate. It’s just no one cared. This happened before George Floyd died. I imagine no one cared until then. After Floyd, no one dared release it. I’m generally anti union, but agree with the police union it’s purely scapegoating.

the cops followed their training. One of the seven suspended was still teaching deescalation. Zero fault was found for almost six months. Training needs to be overhauled and Roc needs a mayor who cares more for people than power.

Four of them did not "resign".  They "retired".  I wonder (not really) if that was an effort to cash in on pensions before being fired for cause?

The other two stepped down to lower positions and did not "leave" the police force.
Nothing about Trump or China today? Fixed.

I started a thread on this. It is inaccurate to say the police lied. The cops notified the mayor. The state AG was informed to investigate. It’s just no one cared. This happened before George Floyd died. I imagine no one cared until then. After Floyd, no one dared release it. I’m generally anti union, but agree with the police union it’s purely scapegoating.

the cops followed their training. One of the seven suspended was still teaching deescalation. Zero fault was found for almost six months. Training needs to be overhauled and Roc needs a mayor who cares more for people than power.
Thanks for the detailed info

What I find interesting is that the same exact thread title could have been generated by a left-leaning or right-leaning person, each with equal amount of agitated tone.
I'll take that as a compliment. That's because title was written to simply describe what happened. I editorialized later.

Either way, not sure why this should be in a separate thread from the police incident that precipitated this event.

Is the black police chief racist?  Are individual police responsible for systemic racism?  If they follow their training to the letter and something awful still happens, do they deserve the ire and public backlash they are getting?

This is the kind of crap that dilutes a valuable message and gives ammo to the people who are actually racist in the fight for the hearts of the people in the middle.

Stop propping up awful events construed from multiple bad decisions on both sides as some kind of beacon of truth or rallying cry.  You can't pick and choose a few events caught on video that look bad without context and make lasting change or create a valid movement.  Revolutions happen when the majority agree that something needs to be done and either participates or at least stands aside to let it happen.

You start coming for black police chiefs and calls for "defunding" police when they really didn't do anything wrong (or even if they did in this one instance) and you will lose the fight for the masses.

Is the black police chief racist?  Are individual police responsible for systemic racism?  If they follow their training to the letter and something awful still happens, do they deserve the ire and public backlash they are getting?

This is the kind of crap that dilutes a valuable message and gives ammo to the people who are actually racist in the fight for the hearts of the people in the middle.

Stop propping up awful events construed from multiple bad decisions on both sides as some kind of beacon of truth or rallying cry.  You can't pick and choose a few events caught on video that look bad without context and make lasting change or create a valid movement.  Revolutions happen when the majority agree that something needs to be done and either participates or at least stands aside to let it happen.

You start coming for black police chiefs and calls for "defunding" police when they really didn't do anything wrong (or even if they did in this one instance) and you will lose the fight for the masses.
Disagree on the black police chief point. Systemic racism is just that, a system that is racist in nature. Policies and procedures (written and unwritten) that work unjustly against minorities. Not everyone involved is necessarily racist but they carry responsibility for the systemic racism if they contribute to it. That includes minorities and in this case the black police chief. If you give minorities a free pass in this situation, you’re only going to make it look like a movement against white cops rather than against bad cops.

I get your point that it’s best to have minorities in positions of power to help lead the reform but if he’s already part of the problem, what makes you believe that he will be part of the solution?

I don’t know that the incident itself is racist, probably not. The recent incident of a white teenage being shot in the back indicates that it’s likely more of a problem of police poorly handling mental health emergencies. The cover-up and attempt to bury the video very well could be racist.

Reform requires getting rid of the bad cops even if they’re minorities.

Biff84 said:
Disagree on the black police chief point. Systemic racism is just that, a system that is racist in nature. Policies and procedures (written and unwritten) that work unjustly against minorities. Not everyone involved is necessarily racist but they carry responsibility for the systemic racism if they contribute to it. That includes minorities and in this case the black police chief. If you give minorities a free pass in this situation, you’re only going to make it look like a movement against white cops rather than against bad cops.

I get your point that it’s best to have minorities in positions of power to help lead the reform but if he’s already part of the problem, what makes you believe that he will be part of the solution?

I don’t know that the incident itself is racist, probably not. The recent incident of a white teenage being shot in the back indicates that it’s likely more of a problem of police poorly handling mental health emergencies. The cover-up and attempt to bury the video very well could be racist.

Reform requires getting rid of the bad cops even if they’re minorities.
This whole concept of systemic racism is so dumb.  No one can point to any policy which is racist so then the implication becomes that even black police officers are racist.  This whole thing smells like 2000's version of the Salem witch trails.  We have a media and BLM which propagate outright lies and convict people via public opinion based upon those lies.  We have DA offices bringing trumped up charges.  We have violence in the streets.  There is no justice here.  This is pure hatred turning these mostly thugs into heros in order to lynch the police because people don't the results.  Damn, we went 3-13 last year, those racists refs did it!  There is a ton of rationalizing, but not one rationale thought.  

People may want to be careful for what they wish for.  

From my understanding, the chief said he was retiring because he was being slandered and having his good name ruined unjustly and the people who should be standing up for him simply were not. 

People may want to be careful for what they wish for.  

From my understanding, the chief said he was retiring because he was being slandered and having his good name ruined unjustly and the people who should be standing up for him simply were not. 
I can’t believe more police don’t step down.   Their difficult jobs seem awful these days.   

DocHolliday said:
I can’t believe more police don’t step down.   Their difficult jobs seem awful these days.   
They will eventually. Most people in America can't just walk away from their jobs. Takes a while to figure out a better plan. Sooner or later we will have big issues with staffing. The number of people wanting to be cops will shrink as well. At least the number of people we want to be cops. That has probably already happened to some degree.

After a while it has to be so annoying listening to all these hacks constantly criticize you, dealing with trash on the streets, seeing how bad some of these neighborhoods are and yet people thinking they are the problem.

Seeing people tell blatant lies about criminals in order to make the police look guilty. It is all just absurd. 

So it is with "systemic racism." I understand covenant housing policies and redlining as well as city/urban design helped contribute to segregated areas, but to say that to this day, a majority of people are responsible for policing methods that have developed away from the their watch, usually at behest of the police unions and a hapless bargaining unit that represents the public in collective bargaining, combined of course, with a federal government readily willing to sell well-funded police departments SWAT and miliatry weaponry and you've essentially got something that each individual person isn't responsible for, but rather, political pluralism is.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will eventually. Most people in America can't just walk away from their jobs. Takes a while to figure out a better plan. Sooner or later we will have big issues with staffing. The number of people wanting to be cops will shrink as well. At least the number of people we want to be cops. That has probably already happened to some degree.

After a while it has to be so annoying listening to all these hacks constantly criticize you, dealing with trash on the streets, seeing how bad some of these neighborhoods are and yet people thinking they are the problem.

Seeing people tell blatant lies about criminals in order to make the police look guilty. It is all just absurd. 
Overall, killings and assaults against police have been going down or have been flat over the past 20 years. This year could reverse that, but probably not dramatically  Being a police office is challenging, but what we see on TV and social media is not representative of the what of the vast majority of officers experience. Also, the more dangerous and larger cities usually have better salaries and benefits. Scot Petersen, the "coward"  deputy assigned to Parkland, got an $8,700 per month pension after 32 years of service. I pass by the police academy at Miami Dade College regularly, and it's open now, in-person, and seems busy.  Many young people need and want decent-paying jobs and will take the risks. The riots and protests will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread