What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Brown, PHI (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
We have a couple threads for 2019 guys, figured we may as well have one for the one considered the favorite by many to go 1.1. 

6'1, 230 pounds

What I like best about him is his overall size. While he isn't a toweling WR, he isn't a weakling who is going to have trouble with physical NFL corners. He also has good speed and he's tough as nails with the ball in his hands. He reminds me a lot of JuJu in terms of his size and how he plays. 

He seems to be the safest pick in rookie drafts for 2019, and at least for now at the top. His fantasy outlook depends on his combine and, more importantly, draft destination. That doesn't mean we can't get a discussion going here! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping he goes to JAX or BUF or BAL so I don't have to consider him. He will probably put up Keenum Allen numbers and I need to hit it big at 1.1 with Beckham, Hopkins, Tyreek numbers.

We have a couple threads for 2019 guys, figured we may as well have one for the one considered the favorite by many to go 1.1. 
Assume you're only talking FF? He might be top 5, likely top 10 in the real draft. 

Everything I've read indicates a few DL will go top 5, probably starting with Joey bosa's brother. The QBs don't look as good this year but we know a couple will creep up. 

I only watched him one game and that was against Alabama so I'm sure I'm underrating him. Would have been nice if he did more against the Tide, few do.

But as the owner of one 1.1, and a few top 5 he's definitely on my short list for the picks, might depend on what backs come out and their landing spots. 

It will be interesting to see where Brown, Harry and Metcalf land. All 3 have top flight talent.

Rotoworld take:

Ole Miss junior WR A.J. Brown declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

This is a big one, as Brown is viewed by some as the top draft-eligible wideout in all the collegiate land. The 6-foot-1, 225-pounder could well end up being the first receiver off the board come April. He just wrapped a 2018 campaign in which he registered a 85-1320-6 receiving line. As for his pro profile, The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard writes that Brown possesses "[e]xcellent size, length and strength for a receiver prospect," though he also notes more critically that the Ole Miss standout has shown issues with his "overall consistency" due to an occasional lack of attention and effort. You can reasonably expect to hear Brown's name called on Day 1 of the draft. A top-10 selection is not out of the realm of possibility.

Source: A.J. Brown on Twitter 

Dec 4 - 1:23 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown as the No. 5 wide receiver in the 2019 draft class.

Brugler is willing to bet on Brown's upside as an NFL starter because Brown (6'1/225) is a "natural route runner and pass catcher." This past season, Brown hauled in 85 passes for 1,320 yards and six touchdowns as the Rebels' leading receiver, but he's slightly being overshadowed by consensus 2019 WR1 D.K. Metcalf who was in-and-out of the lineup at Ole Miss. Perhaps a post-hype Day 2 value pick, Brown is being compared to the Steelers JuJu Smith-Schuster because of their college production, size, and work ethic.

Source: The Athletic 

Feb 3 - 4:38 PM

The Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs compared Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown to Cleveland Browns WR Jarvis Landry.

Crabbs looks beyond the obvious size disparity between Brown (6'1/225) and Landry (5'11/196) for this comparison, writing that Brown's "pathway to success is going to be as a chain moving middle of the field receiver who can win with strong hands and effective routes (similar to Landry)." The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Brown as his No. 5 receiver prospect for the spring. His runs at the NFL Scouting Combine figure to be key for his chances of being selected on Day 1.

Source: The Draft Network 

Feb 7 - 8:40 PM

Philadelphia Eagles writer and draft analyst Fran Duffy lists Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown as the wideout with the "most to prove" at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Brown (6'1/225) gets the specific mention, but Duffy admits that there are many, many wide receivers who have much to prove at the event. "Can they separate themselves athletically?", Duffy asks. "A handful of bigger wideouts were selected much later in the draft, primarily due to a lack of athleticism and the ability to separate." Brown, Arizona State's N'Keal Harry and NC State's Kelvin Harmon all fit this description, but specifically for Brown, showing the ability to separate with speed and get by defensive backs will be big if he wants to challenge his college teammate DK Metcalf to be the first wideout selected in April.

SOURCE: Philadelphia Eagles

Feb 13, 2019, 3:40 PM

For a guy that is considered top5 at his position coming up into draft season, he sure gets very little respect.  

For a guy that is considered top5 at his position coming up into draft season, he sure gets very little respect.  
He’s interesting as I’ve seen some rank him as high as top 3 and others nearly outside of the top 10. 

Count me as a fan of AJ Brown. His feistiness reminds me of Steve Smith Sr. 
I’ve heard a comp of a big Jarvis Landry

Ilov80s said:
He’s interesting as I’ve seen some rank him as high as top 3 and others nearly outside of the top 10. 
And yet there's very little hype around him.  I think that's partially because he's viewed as "safe" rather than "high ceiling" but I think it's both for Brown. 

And yet there's very little hype around him.  I think that's partially because he's viewed as "safe" rather than "high ceiling" but I think it's both for Brown. 
Maybe because everyone has him pegged as a slot guy? Or because his teammater DK is getting all the attention? I really like the fit of Brown to the Lions in round 2. They are desperate for a slot WR to work the middle of the field. 

Maybe because everyone has him pegged as a slot guy? Or because his teammater DK is getting all the attention? I really like the fit of Brown to the Lions in round 2. They are desperate for a slot WR to work the middle of the field. 
Lions would be an amazing landing spot

Maybe because everyone has him pegged as a slot guy? 
Might be. I also think the "safe" designation hurts him as well with regards to hype. DK Metcalf could be the next Megatron. AJ Brown could be the next Welker. Which one is more exciting? 

Whomever has AJ Brown fall to them in their rookie drafts cant feel bad about it at all. I think he is great value no matter where you take him. IMO he is least likely to bust of all these wrs

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tweets that he sees "too much" Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffery in Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown.

Miller also notes that he might "have" to bump Brown up to the WR1 in the class. Most of those plaudits are going to his teammate D.K. Metcalf -- and for good reason, Metcalf's size and ball-skills make him a potential star -- but Brown (6'1/225) is by no means small, and was the more productive player in college. The combine will be big for Brown to show he can create separation, but if he can, there's absolutely a chance he's the first wideout off the board in 2019.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Feb 18, 2019, 1:34 PM

Many of you guys seem to  consider him to be the top WR in the class, yet this thread seems to be very inactive. Is that because he is the easiest WR prospect to predict out of some of the other top guys like Metcalf and Harry ? 

Taking over a dynasty orphan a month ago  in what is my first ever dynasty league, I’ve found all of your threads invaluable so far, particularly the WR ones as a WR needy team with the 1.02 pick so thanks to the likes of 

Dan, JonnyU, Lov, Zyphros, ZPK et al for your discussions  

Maybe the decision will be taken away from me with the first pick  but keep changing my mind  between this guy and Metcalf as things stand. 

Many of you guys seem to  consider him to be the top WR in the class, yet this thread seems to be very inactive. Is that because he is the easiest WR prospect to predict out of some of the other top guys like Metcalf and Harry ? 

Taking over a dynasty orphan a month ago  in what is my first ever dynasty league, I’ve found all of your threads invaluable so far, particularly the WR ones as a WR needy team with the 1.02 pick so thanks to the likes of 

Maybe the decision will be taken away from me with the first pick  but keep changing my mind  between this guy and Metcalf as things stand. 
He lacks allure for whatever reason and he's a guy that everyone seems to be comfortable with.  They might not see a ceiling as much but he's the closest thing to consensus that this draft class has for one of the top3 WR's (others may vary but it almost always includes AJ Brown).  I've called Deebo Samuel the safest WR in the class, but AJ Brown is right behind him.  The thing that separates himself from Deebo IMO is his size/bulk and ability to just be smooth at that size.  He's a polished guy that's ready for immediate impact, unlike a guy like Metcalf who's projection is much tougher for all his question marks.  

Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Brown (6'0/226) coming in with a strong run for a player of his mass. Multiple analysts, including The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard and NFL Media's Lance Zierlein, have voiced concern over the Ole Miss product's long speed during the evaluating season. This run should help to quash those concerns by degrees. Zierlein compares Brown to JuJu Smith-Schuster. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline pegged him to the Ravens at No. 22 in his pre-combine mock draft. He's not a Day 1 lock, but certainly in play for such a selection.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 12:54 PM

When is the draft? I think landing spot will be a major factor when sorting out this dynasty class. There is a lot to like about Harry, Metcalf and Brown. That is my top 3 right now. I probably have Fant 4 and Kyler 5 depending on starting lineup requirements and status of roster. 

Why not AJ Brown 1.1?

He seemed to be the favorite to be wr1 in this class, aside from Harry possibly from everywhere I read.

Consistently put up big numbers in college

Had a great showing at the combine that had hardly any attention

He seems to be the most destination proof wr of the bunch

What's changed? He has done nothing to lose the 1.1 spot... I could see a discussion yet of Harry vs Brown but that doesnt seem to be the discussion at all on these boards.

I prefer Harry but it is close and landing spot will factor huge
Harry vs Brown is the current debate for myself. I'm just shocked at the lack of discussion on Brown 1.1. Landing spot is huge. I guess I'll take the lack of discussion as a lack of controversy/less warts than everyone else. Which I think is accurate. 

Hinderly has Brown 1.3 (and Harry 1.5!)

I think Oakland trading for Brown now take them out of the running for Metcalf a third overall. That was probably unlikely anyway. Most have Metcalf going first to the Bills. That might bode well for both Brown and Harry as they get pushed down in wined up hopefully on better teams not Baltimore

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller called Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown his WR1.

Brown (6'0/226) receives another JuJu Smith-Schuster comparison, which makes at least three Brown/JuJu comps from big-time draft analysts. Both players are big bodies, win after the catch, and have shown an ability to play outside or in the slot. In the 2017 NFL Draft, Smith-Schuster was selected with the No. 62 overall pick, but Brown is expected to go a little higher than that this time around as arguably the top slot receiver in the draft.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Mar 15, 2019, 8:10 PM

Still the least amount of hype and discussion on the board here, of all the top rookies, or so it would seem. Maybe this guy really is the safest. Doesn't seem to be any negatives. The only thing I can come up with is that he isn't as tall as the others. But........

I think Oakland trading for Brown now take them out of the running for Metcalf a third overall. That was probably unlikely anyway. Most have Metcalf going first to the Bills. That might bode well for both Brown and Harry as they get pushed down in wined up hopefully on better teams not Baltimore
Especially since they draft 4th ;)

barackdhouse said:
Still the least amount of hype and discussion on the board here, of all the top rookies, or so it would seem. Maybe this guy really is the safest. Doesn't seem to be any negatives. The only thing I can come up with is that he isn't as tall as the others. But........
If he was 6'3 people would be swooning over him. even if he was 6'2.

Of the top 10 WRs on FBG dyntasty value chart only 4 are taller than AJ Brown

I’ve got him as my first WR. Im picking at 1.02 and could see myself taking him or the top RB ( hoping that the guy at 1.1 goes with Metcalf ) 

I’ve got him as my first WR. Im picking at 1.02 and could see myself taking him or the top RB ( hoping that the guy at 1.1 goes with Metcalf ) 
Only way you don't get him at 1.02 is if I'm in your league and I have 1.01.  Considering the only league I have the 1.01 in, I also have the 1.02, I think you're safe.  

Only way you don't get him at 1.02 is if I'm in your league and I have 1.01.  Considering the only league I have the 1.01 in, I also have the 1.02, I think you're safe.  
It’s Brown versus Harry in my mind for 1.01. Probably landing spot based.

NFL Film's Greg Cosell believes Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown "will be a quality NFL WR who can work outside and in the slot."

Brown (6'0/226) has plenty of experience inside, but he also played on the perimeter in the second half of 2018 and he did well in those reps as well. Cosell argues that Brown's "route running savvy/hands/competitive toughness" are enough to hide some of his athletic limitations, although a 4.49-second forty for a 226-pounder isn't bad at all. Brown has been compared to JuJu Smith-Schuster often, and Cosell's scouting report is very similar to the former USC Trojan.

SOURCE: Greg Cosell on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 3:27 PM

NFL Film's Greg Cosell believes Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown "will be a quality NFL WR who can work outside and in the slot."

Brown (6'0/226) has plenty of experience inside, but he also played on the perimeter in the second half of 2018 and he did well in those reps as well. Cosell argues that Brown's "route running savvy/hands/competitive toughness" are enough to hide some of his athletic limitations, although a 4.49-second forty for a 226-pounder isn't bad at all. Brown has been compared to JuJu Smith-Schuster often, and Cosell's scouting report is very similar to the former USC Trojan.

SOURCE: Greg Cosell on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 3:27 PM
What athletic limitations should I consider that don't include "route running savvy/hands/competitive toughness," and an impressive speed/size combo?  Seems like low-energy analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread