Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

WR A.J. Brown, TEN

Is there seriously an argument that Matt Ryan is better right now than Ryan Tannehill? Maybe in 2016 that was true, but Tannehill has been arguably the most efficient QB in the NFL over the last 3 years. He's the most important player on this team, yes, more than Henry. Henry helps sure, but just look at what it was like with Mariota before Tannehill. As the QB play has gone up, so has Henry. 

If you were arguing you'd rather have Matt Ryan as a fantasy QB(Which it didn't seem like) then fine, I'm not sure I'd agree, but the case is there at least. But NFL wise, Tannehill has been elite since he took in Tennessee. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TVT 0 N S T A said:

Gaslit?  Jesus bud, it's a football forum.  To answer your question - Derrick Henry won.

Without his 2 WR's - are you referring to a Jets game?  I'm not even going to entertain the who's better Matt Ryan or Ryan Tannehill bit.  

Ask yourself - what stats would you prefer?

Completions     128        141

Attempts           202        204

Percentage      63.4       69.1

Yards               1,467     1,332

Yds/Att               7.3          6.5

TD                          6            10

INT                         4              3

Sacked                20              8

Matt Ryan has no offensive line (hence yards/attempt) and Calvin Ridley missed a game.  Somehow, Ryan still manages to take less sacks.  You guys do you... all good either way.  I think the offense is flat.  Ryan threw 1 pick and could have thrown a second if the DB turned around on that off-the-helmet Julio catch.  

Gaslighting was just a joke, although you are making my head hurt a bit with the overreaction.

Brown and Jones have both missed time due to injury, Brown heading into the season after double knee surgery and starting off slow. A new OC is a huge adjustment too. Of course Henry is an absolute monster and is carrying the team. Ten better figure this O out before they wear the King down.

I honestly wouldn't want to trade for Ryan even though he is slightly better now. Tanny has looked just as good if not better in that Tenn O the last couple of years. A trade would be a expensive lateral move.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Is there seriously an argument that Matt Ryan is better right now than Ryan Tannehill? Maybe in 2016 that was true, but Tannehill has been arguably the most efficient QB in the NFL over the last 3 years. He's the most important player on this team, yes, more than Henry. Henry helps sure, but just look at what it was like with Mariota before Tannehill. As the QB play has gone up, so has Henry. 

If you were arguing you'd rather have Matt Ryan as a fantasy QB(Which it didn't seem like) then fine, I'm not sure I'd agree, but the case is there at least. But NFL wise, Tannehill has been elite since he took in Tennessee. 

Yeah travdogg summed it very well.  The Titans wouldn't entertain a Ryan for Tannehill even swap for a second.

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Tannehill most certainly has not gotten better this year, he is measurably and significantly worse, yet somehow, amazingly, Henry has.

Tannehill's completion %, TD%, Y/A, Y/C, QB Rating & QBR have all dropped for the third season in a row (season ain't over but the start is bad). How is that possible with Derrick Henry forcing defenses to keep 38 men in the box play-in-play-out?

Personally I am bullish on Tannehill because I believe with Henry gashing everyone, defenses will have to put all 53 in the box just to slow him down. The passing game has to open up...doesn't it?

But, ATM Tannehill has been bad. Unquestionably bad.

2 hours ago, travdogg said:

Not saying I'd take Ryan, and bringing him in halfway through the year is a terrible idea, but look at Tannehill's numbers in the playoff games. He's been brutal.

4 hours ago, Chaka said:

Tannehill most certainly has not gotten better this year, he is measurably and significantly worse, yet somehow, amazingly, Henry has.

Tannehill's completion %, TD%, Y/A, Y/C, QB Rating & QBR have all dropped for the third season in a row (season ain't over but the start is bad). How is that possible with Derrick Henry forcing defenses to keep 38 men in the box play-in-play-out?

Personally I am bullish on Tannehill because I believe with Henry gashing everyone, defenses will have to put all 53 in the box just to slow him down. The passing game has to open up...doesn't it?

But, ATM Tannehill has been bad. Unquestionably bad.

Tannehill was the best passer in the NFL in 2019, of course he was going to come down from that. He was the 5th highest rated passer in history that season. Only Rodgers(twice), Manning, and 2013 Nick Foles were better. He was top-5 in the NFL in 2020. 

In 2021, he's had arguably the worst receiving group in the NFL. He's still been ok with that in my opinion, and its obvious going to be better with AJ Brown, and hopefully Julio Jones. He's also had some bad luck with playcalling, that Henry has benefitted from. 

I would also disagree that Henry is playing better than ever. He's being used more often than ever would be more accurate to me. 

3 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Not saying I'd take Ryan, and bringing him in halfway through the year is a terrible idea, but look at Tannehill's numbers in the playoff games. He's been brutal.

He was solid in the 2019 playoffs, where he made a couple big plays off PA and mostly gave it to Henry, they just couldn't stop KC's offense in the AFC title game.

He was mediocre against the Ravens last year, but was far from brutal. 

Anyway, my overall point is, I think Tannehill is a more than good enough QB to support AJ Brown. 

6 hours ago, Scooby1974 said:

I honestly wouldn't want to trade for Ryan even though he is slightly better now. Tanny has looked just as good if not better in that Tenn O the last couple of years. A trade would be a expensive lateral move.

Matt Ryan might have been a bad usage of player, but I do think they could benefit from getting someone better in there.  I realize people love Tannehill, what a wonderful story... but seriously.  He has been awful and I don't think people should make excuses for him because Brown missed a game.  He has frequently missed targets and he has everyone in the box.  Would Matt Ryan be an upgrade?  I am not sure why people think he wouldn't be.  

Matt Ryan hasn't had a running game like this in ages.  He is just more accurate than Tannehill.  I realize it will never happen and we are just debating to debate, but Tannehill is the missing link.  Everyone saying he is the MVP of the Titans - I agree.  He goes as the team goes, but he is seriously missing something this year.  I know I am not the only one who sees it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

He has been brutal this year and has completely diminished both Brown and Julio's value... 

I don't think Matt Ryan is the answer, but I was merely shedding light on how overrated Tannehill became after one good year.  Love the story - just, guy has to play better. 

• Like 2

AJ Brown might have held the jersey but he put his guy on the ground springing Derrick Henry for 76yds and a TD last night. I watched it a few times on the replay today. It doesn't show in the box, it doesn't help Brown rack more FF points in most leagues but I'm sure the coaches saw it. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

AJ Brown might have held the jersey but he put his guy on the ground springing Derrick Henry for 76yds and a TD last night. I watched it a few times on the replay today. It doesn't show in the box, it doesn't help Brown rack more FF points in most leagues but I'm sure the coaches saw it. 

The dude can probably wind up playing TE at some point when he's older and lost a step. He looks like a monster out there.

21 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Not saying I'd take Ryan, and bringing him in halfway through the year is a terrible idea

Agreed.  Maybe Matt Ryan could be servicable when everything else is around him, but he looks almost done to me.  His numbers passing over 15 yards downfield are among the very worst in the entire NFL.

Too much of the Tannehill talk seems based on a small sample, one where the passing vs rushing TDs have been heavily skewed.  Regression will hit and then his numbers will look better.  As will AJ Brown.

2 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

What luck? Buffalo after w eek from injury and a solid outing, Tennessee will have to score a ton of points to stay with Buffalo, 100+ yds a score, you can start projecting it. 

Wanna put some money on that? I'll take the under.

I'm kidding JB

A.J. Brown posted on Twitter Thursday that he's still dealing with digestive issues due to food poisoning last week. 

“My body is rejecting any food I eat,” Brown said on Twitter. “This s••• ain’t no joke.” Brown, who swore off fast food after he nearly missed the Titans' Week 6 game against Buffalo with food poisoning, didn't practice on Wednesday or Thursday ahead of the team's Week 7 matchup against Kansas City. A limited practice for Brown on Friday would put him on track to play Sunday against the Chiefs -- a fantastic matchup against a burnable KC secondary. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

Oct 22, 2021, 9:17 AM ET

As I stated in the FF Reddit, we always knew A.J. Brown was a beast... but now it finally happened. His body has gotten so muscular it's trying to take over and dictate terms to his brain. I've seen this kind of thing happen once before...

Edited by The Frankman
  • Laughing 2

9 minutes ago, TampaMike19 said:

AJB usually is a steady 7-9 target guy, don't think that role is changing this year, but it may be forced to change if KC makes this a track meet (possibly)

The guy needs to get on the field first.

Sounds like whatever stomach bug he has is bad.

A.J. Brown (food poisoning) said he'll be fine to play in Week 7 against the Chiefs.

Brown told reporters that he's on a bland diet, and is now holding down food. He also indicated that he'll be monitoring his fluid intake heading into Sunday and will get an IV if necessary. Brown battling food poisoning is far from ideal, but it sounds like he should be at or near full speed against the Chiefs in Week 7. Brown has elite upside in this matchup, in a game that could turn into a true shootout.

SOURCE: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Oct 22, 2021, 1:56 PM ET

A.J. Brown caught 8-of-9 targets for 133 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 7 win over the Chiefs.

Looking as healthy as he has all season, Brown went over the 100-yard mark in the first half, hauling in an acrobatic 46-yard catch and then twisting around for a 24-yard touchdown. Brown's nine targets easily led the Titans, seeing five more looks than Julio Jones. Over the hamstring issue and his stomach bug, Brown looks poised for a big final 10 weeks. Brown draws the Colts in Week 8.

Oct 24, 2021, 4:10 PM ET

• Like 1