What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Brown, PHI (1 Viewer)

He didn't make it into the 2nd in any of my 5 leagues or 3 others that I am commissioner for. But that was a month ago. Perception has evolved a little. 

Looks awesome. Making it a point to mix it up with DBs. Lots of praise early

The Titans have talent for a change so it's gonna take some time for him to move up the depth chart

Most comments are of his arms or his size. He's a bigger dude than I think most realized til they saw him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Injury going to make him day to day. I'll be annoyed tomorrow, for now I'm thrilled he made his presence felt quickly

@BriDo you see a scenario where he takes the WR1 job from Davis? 
Maybe, but that would mean Davis pushes Taylor off the #2 spot not that Davis sits. Well, I guess he could, just leave that as doubtful.

There's a foot on the gas this year. Mariota and Henry are eligible for new contracts. Vrabel took over a playoff team to take them further and record-wise they haven't improved. 

Vrabel is using the same words as Mularkey once did to weed through Hunter and DGB, talking about accountability, efficiency, how many (catches) strung together etc. Davis has become a veteran during the offseason with the weird overnight feel that happens sometimes. Lots of glowing reports of him leading others and doing the little things.

Davis' prob is mixing it up with pressing DBs. He's gotta do that, every time and almost never just brushes them off and runs his route. A QB doesn't have time to wait for that. If he loses that bad habit, he should be fine. If all their threats step up and they actually pass a lot, the Titans could have an enormous increase in passing yards this year. Between the struggles and feeding Henry, there is so much room for more touches

Davis' prob is mixing it up with pressing DBs. He's gotta do that, every time and almost never just brushes them off and runs his route. A QB doesn't have time to wait for that. If he loses that bad habit, he should be fine. If all their threats step up and they actually pass a lot, the Titans could have an enormous increase in passing yards this year. Between the struggles and feeding Henry, there is so much room for more touches
It's interesting that you bring this up, Bri. I have always felt they just needed Mariota to get the ball out of his hands more quickly to help keep him more healthy.

When you mentioned in the other thread that the Titans are making a point for Mariota to be more aggressive.... does that mean they want him passing farther down field? I really hope they maximize AJ Brown on the short and medium routes(along with Humphries) and aren't in a mindset where they want Mariota to hold the ball and force it into Davis downfield. I was a total "sell" on Davis all spring/summer.

The way I see it the TEN offense is already a nightmare for fantasy owners because they just don't run many plays but it could be compounded by the fact they could easily have a different top receiver in catches(Walker/Humprhies), yards(AJ Brown), and TDs(Davis) making all of them meh options because the ball gets spread around so evenly.

It's interesting that you bring this up, Bri. I have always felt they just needed Mariota to get the ball out of his hands more quickly to help keep him more healthy.

When you mentioned in the other thread that the Titans are making a point for Mariota to be more aggressive.... does that mean they want him passing farther down field? I really hope they maximize AJ Brown on the short and medium routes(along with Humphries) and aren't in a mindset where they want Mariota to hold the ball and force it into Davis downfield. I was a total "sell" on Davis all spring/summer.

The way I see it the TEN offense is already a nightmare for fantasy owners because they just don't run many plays but it could be compounded by the fact they could easily have a different top receiver in catches(Walker/Humprhies), yards(AJ Brown), and TDs(Davis) making all of them meh options because the ball gets spread around so evenly.
Whatever he sees. He was an awesome long ball QB in high school (catches your eye when a kid throws far downfield on the run, often) highlights and at Oregon. On rare occasions, he shows it with the Titans. He was stuck in mud and now he's more comfy as a pocket guy, but when he runs you can just see it so obviously that that's how he's comfortable. He grew up a soccer player playing every chance he could and he prefers it. They brought back the option stuff that they used briefly his rookie year and second. Snap N throws were there last year and at Oregon. It's too new to wholly answer your Q, it all sounds good though. 

New UDFA back Barnes is so polished for a rookie. He got to play with MM8 and as many predicted, he's gonna push Lewis. He's eh as a runner but smooth catching and picks up the blitz and understands keeping space between he and QB...watch his college tape- he looks like he could be a quality depth player for years. I DO expect Lewis to beat him out and he to sign elsewhere. For now though, he can bring out the ad-libbing and maybe remind Lewis how college backs play and get him in sync with Mariota. 

You're probably right on targets. Taylor has two awesome days and Tajae had the catch of the day. Taylor hasn't dropped a pass according to one site. There are a good group of people that think he will be traded and star somewhere, he's got "it" and the Titans are always going away from him. For now though, he's the starter and good luck to Brown and others beating out the guy catching everything. It'll happen, probably, but man it's nice to finally have competition. I won't draft any of them in FF. Maybe preseason will change my mind

Titans second-round WR A.J. Brown missed his third-straight practice on Monday.

Brown's injury is undisclosed, but he dealt with hamstring issues during the offseason program. That's a common problem for rookie wideouts. Provided he returns this week, Brown still has time to get cleared for the preseason opener.

SOURCE: Erik Bacharach on Twitter

Jul 29, 2019, 1:31 PM ET

Titans second-round WR A.J. Brown missed his third-straight practice on Monday.

Brown's injury is undisclosed, but he dealt with hamstring issues during the offseason program. That's a common problem for rookie wideouts. Provided he returns this week, Brown still has time to get cleared for the preseason opener.

SOURCE: Erik Bacharach on Twitter

Jul 29, 2019, 1:31 PM ET
There's a video from the first day of camp, he tried to plant his foot and he ended up sliding and rolling his ankle a little because the turf was absolute crap. It's most likely a minor ankle injury and he'll be fine in a few days, maybe a couple weeks. 

There's a video from the first day of camp, he tried to plant his foot and he ended up sliding and rolling his ankle a little because the turf was absolute crap. It's most likely a minor ankle injury and he'll be fine in a few days, maybe a couple weeks. 
This optimistic owner will second. Was worried but saw the tape and looked like next to nothing. If it was a game I'd honestly think he might even get it taped and go back in. 

Second-round WR A.J. Brown is listed with the third-string offense on the Titans' first unofficial depth chart.

Brown has barely practiced this summer because of a hamstring injury. When he finally gets back, coach Mike Vrabel is going to make him do some depth chart climbing. Brown is still the favorite to start opposite Corey Davis on the outside, but this much missed practice time is no small thing for a rookie.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Aug 5, 2019, 1:53 PM ET

Taylor has had some off days and still made plays those days, showing maturity and dependability he hadn't in the past. He looks well entrenched as the starter. They're going with a 3 WR offense this year which is a far cry from 3 TEs. Smith says all the right things- any thing you thought about the Titans prior offenses, he's said it. 

Brown could be special by week four or midseason, but since the Titans changed up their offense between OTAs and TC, there's no way the rookie will know it all and be able to run through cuts without thinking. He has the IT factor and they love him. I just think ya gotta be patient.

Taylor is so quick and fast that he attracts a better corner than you might expect. This carries on down and will give Humphries and/or Davis a better matchup. Brown is a big dude like Owens. He'll attract a certain DB when he's ready too. I think they'll start though by subbing him in where they think he'll have the best matchup. It's easier to see who covers who and then put Brown in.

With Delanie playing slot some and Davis hitting the weights, the Titans can have a muscular group if they want to. Their offense seems to have every piece you could imagine- the offensive coordinator and QB just need to finally put it all together. Henry has to be a cog, not a crutch. Their pattern of messing things up doesn't give me much hope, but...I am hopeful this is finally their year to make some noise. Most FF people won't take a Titans starter, so ya gotta be crazy to draft Brown and expect immediate results. Sitting on him makes a lot of sense, but let's see Mariota throw for 300 first.

Titans second-round WR A.J. Brown (hamstring) returned to practice on Sunday.

Brown has missed the bulk of training camp with a nagging hamstring injury, but was able to get in some first-team reps on Sunday while practicing with a helmet for the first time in weeks. The missed time could prove costly in Brown's development, though he still has nearly a month to get acclimated before the Titans open their regular season at Cleveland on September 8.

SOURCE: John Glennon on Twitter

Aug 11, 2019, 11:24 AM ET

Brown subbed in with the first team, all three spots. KUDOS to him on being able to learn while sitting out. That right there is huge. Most rookies struggle to master one spot.

His physique is something to see check out the videos online. He and Delanie clearly discussing using their body like a post player in hoops. Huge hands, big arms...geesh the possibilities are exciting. 

Drill videos show what I mentioned earlier. They fixed his takeoff and his extra step on cuts. Other teams are gonna kick themselves that he was so easy to make faster

Turron Davenport @TDavenport _NFL

Lost on all of the excitement about the Patriots is the fact that A. J. Brown was a full participant in practice for the first time today. Brown made a nice over the shoulder catch during 7 on 7. That's a big thing for the #Titans offense.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Waldman is very in depth with his analysis. Hes wrong as often as anyone else, but you have to respect the work he puts in. 

I would call it a good thing that hes high on a player. but I wouldnt say it means that hes destined for greatness. 

Kind of like- I dont look for/require Waldmans stamp of approval on a particular player, but if he likes a player I like then that's a bonus since he does waaaaay more work than I do

no catches, played 20 snaps or so

Pats used a safety over the top to double at times, other targets did fine when he was in. 

Interesting that he would get doubled in his first game, but they did see him in practice twice.

Pushing match with Gilmore received some articles a few days later. Veteran CB frustrated getting around the big rook's body and getting pushed back. 

Pats used a safety over the top to double at times, other targets did fine when he was in. 

Interesting that he would get doubled in his first game, but they did see him in practice twice.

Pushing match with Gilmore received some articles a few days later. Veteran CB frustrated getting around the big rook's body and getting pushed back. 
Play by play says he drew a 27 yard PI penalty on a 3rd down play as well. On the first td drive.

Thanks. Some good takeaways from this. Obviously a positive spin. One could also say AJ Brown failed to create himself open. 

However, I think it's interesting that Brown received double coverage. Could be a respect of his talent or retaliation from the "fight." I was looking forward to seeing him in action. A lot of guys are generating a lot of preseason excitement, just looking for some from my players! Trying to keep from selling AJ Brown in a deal for Curtis Samuel. 

Play by play says he drew a 27 yard PI penalty on a 3rd down play as well. On the first td drive.
that was a wise play by the QB. The two were pushing, slapping, so once he recognized it, the call was automatic. 

He needs to stop this. This is Davis' prob and actually one Brown didn't have til last night. CBs are going to be pick at you all game long. Just slap their hands and move on, blow past them, fake them...whatever, but stop engaging them. Maybe watch some Deandre Hopkins and Fitzgerald tapes.

I don't care since it's his first game and he is sooo big. There's little doubt he's winning a pushing battle with a DB. I just don't want him to become like Davis

that was a wise play by the QB. The two were pushing, slapping, so once he recognized it, the call was automatic. 

He needs to stop this. This is Davis' prob and actually one Brown didn't have til last night. CBs are going to be pick at you all game long. Just slap their hands and move on, blow past them, fake them...whatever, but stop engaging them. Maybe watch some Deandre Hopkins and Fitzgerald tapes.

I don't care since it's his first game and he is sooo big. There's little doubt he's winning a pushing battle with a DB. I just don't want him to become like Davis
I understand that you don't want to play paddy cake but this drew a PI... that's a good thing right? extended the drive 

The latest injury puts him in the same conversation people have every year. Can a rookie WR miss camp and still do well?

He has been studious and that's awesome and would indicate he could. His size...doesn't need to learn positioning or how to use it. There is some indication he can be fine, but this is a real zinger. 

Camp has become half the summer rather than the whole summer but we still call the whole summer camp. Skip all that, he's missed a ton of time

The latest injury puts him in the same conversation people have every year. Can a rookie WR miss camp and still do well?
I dont know of anyone expecting him to do well from day 1. If you drafted him you did so to play the long game in hopes that the titans would improve their qb situation next year 

I dont know of anyone expecting him to do well from day 1. If you drafted him you did so to play the long game in hopes that the titans would improve their qb situation next year 
He has a weird fan base. He probably should have been a first rounder so everyone that rated him highly seems to have this allegiance like he'll prove them right for praising him predraft. There's a defiance to it and...it's kind of odd.

I think the rational have him coming on by midseason

Waldman thinks he’s the Beckham of this draft class 😳 He’s a great stash in dynasty and should be a top WR when Marriota is shown the door (beat writers have also chimed in on how they think he looks special). That said, I don’t see much production this year 

It's interesting you bring up Beckham, because Bri asks the question above if a rookie can miss camp and be productive. Now, imo, Beckham is the exception, and I dont want to be that guy who uses one obscure example to make a point, but obj did do it. 

It would he awesome if Brown was OBJ but I wont count on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A.J. Brown caught 1-of-3 targets for 10 yards in the Titans' third preseason game.

Brown didn't look polished, but it's good to see him running full speed after a hamstring injury slowed him up this offseason. The Titans could use Brown's size, but it's tough to project him for enough targets for him to be in the mix in redraft leagues. Brown, however, is an intriguing prospect who can win in the slot or outside, so it's just a matter of time before he begins to earn more looks.

Aug 25, 2019, 10:25 PM ET

Now the talk is the Titans will start Brown week 1 and the national media is a week from wrongly stating a QB battle. I don't believe this to be true in an FF sense of the starter getting the lion's share of the work. Anyone could get the start. Taylor has been the starter through much of camp. Tajae has overtaken him and lost it right back. Every report is of those two ahead of Brown BUT that Brown is clearly the better athlete- a prototype WR. 

I think we'll know when Brown will get the lion's share. He'll have a good game, they'll feed him a little more, and we'll know. Taylor is too fast for some teams' #2 or #3 CB and if he can attract someone that Davis or Humphries should have on them, that's something.

Taylor is still the only consistent deep threat and Smith has been adamant about all his counters or contrary options so he's gotta have a deep guy some. Two weeks ago it was about the long game versus short game, this past week he mentioned the safeties and Henry...he wants a deep threat some. Brown and Davis can get open deep but haven't been consistent at all

Chris Collinsworth was gushing about Brown during the broadcast last night. I have also heard from other sources that he has been difficult to defend by the defensive backs during training camp and preseason practices.

I think it is only a matter of time before we will see him emerge as a top young receiver in the NFL.

With Taylor traded, I would bump Brown up significantly. It does stink he missed so much time, but he has an easy path now.

Tajae is a practice player that rarely produces in games. Tajae has amazing hands (led the nation in college) but little ability to get open, so he's always demanding the QB make a well placed well timed throw and the game is just harder with a guy like that.

Taylor had offered a consistent deep threat that no one else was and for a well spread out O, that would have factored into Brown's time. 

Brown just went in the 18th round in the draft I'm in. I'd go much higher now. 12th? 10th? The point where few starters are left...get him then. I wouldn't sneeze at anyone being crazy and going earlier but it just doesn't seem prudent. 

Sidenote- he worked out with ARW and Taylor and they're gone. They stayed late and did the little things, lots of videos of them on the juggs after practice. The rookie has to have a little juice now like woah!

I am saying, I would draft him as if he is the starter. It will not take long (maybe even this week) for him to supplant Tajae 

Users who are viewing this thread