What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mathematics and finance questions (1 Viewer)

Ben & Jerry's

Footballguy
1. $1225 is borrowed for one year at a discount rate of D, giving the use of an extra $1000. Find D and the annual interest rate that this is equivalent to.

2. A savings account earns compound interest at an annual effective interest rate of i. Given that i[3,5.5] = 15%, find d[1,4]

3. Money grows according to the simple interest accumulation function a(t)=1+0.04ta ( t ) = 1 + 0.04 t. How much money would you need to invest at time 2 in order to have $2,300 at time 9?

4. What is the present value of $10,000 due in ten years assuming that money grows according to compound interest and that the annual effective rated of interest is 1% for the first three years, 2% for the next two years, and 4% for the remaining five years?

5. Show that if the growth of money is from compound interest with an annual effective rate of i >0, then the sum of the current value of a payment of K made n periods ago and K to be made n periods from now is greater than 2K.

6. Suppose we know that for money in an account with accumulation function a(t), the sum of the current value of a payment of K made n periods ago and K to be made n periods from now is greater than 2K. What must be true about a(t). [Note that this is more general than the previous problem].

7. You have two options for repaying a loan:

A. $5,000 now and $4,500 in one year.

B. $10,000 in six months.

Find the annual effective interest rate(s) i at which both options have the same present value.

8. A payment of X on year from now and a payment 3X three years from now repays a debt of $10,000 at 5% annual effective compound interest. What is the value of X?

9. You invest P into an account earning simple discount at a rate of 6% or simple interest earning 9%. How long must you invest your money so that the simple discount account is preferable?

10. An account is governed by compound interest. The interest for two years on $2,500 is $250.  Find the amount of discount for two years on $1,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only got halfway through the first question before my PTSD kicked in.  I hated math class and not sure why I even opened this thread.  

Good luck OP. 

Let's keep it simple and practical with the Rule of 72: Your money roughly doubles when the earnings rate x # of years = 72.  E.g., 8% earnings (or growth, such as equities) x 9 years = 72.  Be more conservative with a 6% earnings rate and it takes 12 years (6 x 12 = 72).  Lesson: Stick your retirement money in an equity index fund(s) and forget about it for a couple or few decades.

Users who are viewing this thread